Christopher Hitchens - "A genius of our time." 1949 - 2011

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By yagami

So my next blog (this one) was supposed to be about something else, now I feel like I have to do this..

Christopher Hitchens may not be a name many of you know about. He was an author, a journalist, and a self-proclaimed Anti-Theist.

His books are famous world-wide, perhaps some have heard of them?

GOD is NOT GREAT: How Religion Poisons Everything.No One Left to Lie To: The Values of the Worst Family.

The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the NonbelieverThe Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice

He was, and still is, considered as one of the most intellectual people on the planet, and that will not change anytime soon.

He had the talent of speech, unlike anyone i've ever heard speaking. And I watch a LOT of debates as it is part of my interest.

Christopher Hitchens was not afraid of saying what he was thinking, much like myself. - And if you had the extraordinary chance of ever debating with him, he would tear you to shreds with his immense skills of speechcraft. In Skyrim, speech goes up to 100. If Christopher Hitchens was a character in that game, he would have the speech of several thousands. - Such was his skill of speech.

Sadly, Christopher Hitchens, one of my personal heroes, and also, one of the people I have learnt the most from by watching him debate, tragically passed away the 15:th of December from cancer.

I decided to embed a few videos of him. You may hate him, then again, you may LOVE him. No matter what you think, he is definitely, without the question of a doubt, a fucking brilliant speaker.

A cancer-sick Christopher Hitchens talking about the ignorance of folks.

Christopher Hitchens talks about Reverend Jerry Falwell.

Christopher Hitchens in a debate with a Muslim.

Hitchens schools a Muslim on free speech.

-

For those of you who are thinking about saying Rest in Peace. I'll say what Hitchens would want me to say, and what I would want to have said if I had died.

FUCK YOU! I AM DEAD! I AM NOT RESTING IN PEACE, I AM FUCKING DEAD!

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By yagami

So my next blog (this one) was supposed to be about something else, now I feel like I have to do this..

Christopher Hitchens may not be a name many of you know about. He was an author, a journalist, and a self-proclaimed Anti-Theist.

His books are famous world-wide, perhaps some have heard of them?

GOD is NOT GREAT: How Religion Poisons Everything.No One Left to Lie To: The Values of the Worst Family.

The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the NonbelieverThe Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice

He was, and still is, considered as one of the most intellectual people on the planet, and that will not change anytime soon.

He had the talent of speech, unlike anyone i've ever heard speaking. And I watch a LOT of debates as it is part of my interest.

Christopher Hitchens was not afraid of saying what he was thinking, much like myself. - And if you had the extraordinary chance of ever debating with him, he would tear you to shreds with his immense skills of speechcraft. In Skyrim, speech goes up to 100. If Christopher Hitchens was a character in that game, he would have the speech of several thousands. - Such was his skill of speech.

Sadly, Christopher Hitchens, one of my personal heroes, and also, one of the people I have learnt the most from by watching him debate, tragically passed away the 15:th of December from cancer.

I decided to embed a few videos of him. You may hate him, then again, you may LOVE him. No matter what you think, he is definitely, without the question of a doubt, a fucking brilliant speaker.

A cancer-sick Christopher Hitchens talking about the ignorance of folks.

Christopher Hitchens talks about Reverend Jerry Falwell.

Christopher Hitchens in a debate with a Muslim.

Hitchens schools a Muslim on free speech.

-

For those of you who are thinking about saying Rest in Peace. I'll say what Hitchens would want me to say, and what I would want to have said if I had died.

FUCK YOU! I AM DEAD! I AM NOT RESTING IN PEACE, I AM FUCKING DEAD!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

I very much enjoyed his segments on the Daily Show and when I caught him in CNN. Sad to see him go.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Getz

A truly great thinker; a type that our age desperately needs more of and finds itself increasingly lacking in.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By deathstriker666

He was the greatest troll of our time. RIP

Avatar image for vernschillinger
VernSchillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By VernSchillinger

You might not be afraid to speak your mind, much like Christopher Hitchens, but it's also critical to remember that Hitchens wasn't a retard.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yagami

@VernSchillinger said:

You might not be afraid to speak your mind, much like Christopher Hitchens, but it's also critical to remember that Hitchens wasn't a retard.

Nor am I. :3 You must be confusing me with someone else, it is sad to see that you can't seem to not cling to personal attacks. Something that only the most tragic and insecure person would. ^.^

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By xMP44x

He was a master of what he did, regardless of whether you liked his message or not. Personally, I quite admire him.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Yagami: Did you know Chris Hitchens was a firm supporter of the War in Iraq?

This basically sums up what I feel about him:

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Example1013

So is Christopher Hitchens like a student of yours or something?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@VernSchillinger said:

@Example1013 said:

These are great.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Yagami said:

@VernSchillinger said:

Nor am I. :3 You must be confusing me with someone else, it is sad to see that you can't seem to not cling to personal attacks. Something that only the most tragic and insecure person would. ^.^

No, tragic would be your avatar. And that you probably don't get the irony of your comment.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deathstriker666

@VernSchillinger said:

I'd like to assume this was directed towards me. In which case is exactly why I called him a great troll. He made excellent points while ripping apart beloved religious figures that no sane man would ever criticize so heavily. No one escaped his wrath; at the same time he had absolute humility. He wasn't pretentious or believed he was some holier-than-thou figure. Only quit smoking (for real) and drank only moderately less when he was diagnosed with Cancer. Pretty amazing if you asked me.

Also, RIP

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yagami

@No0b0rAmA said:

Yes, that I was. And I do not agree with his views on that. His name was Christopher Hitchens, not Chris. He actually detested being called "Chris".

@Example1013 said:

I wish I could've met him and perhaps had given him a hug. :3 Oh well, the road was not taken. - We thought very similarly me and Christopher Hitchens, but I do not share his views on war. - He is dead, so he isn't. Nor would I want him as a student, but as a teacher. And I am lucky, there is a lot to learn from all of his debates and I am hungrily eating up all information I can get a hold on. The strive of knowledge is top priority for me. :3

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Example1013

@Yagami: Sorry, I assumed by the connotations of your post, and by your masterful uses of both language and thought, that you were some type of mentor to him.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By gamefreak9

This is absolutely shameful... when a Journalist a charismatic dude is called a "thinker". Anyone who insinuated such a thing is a grade A moron.

He was entertaining though, RIP.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By yagami

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Yagami said:

@VernSchillinger said:

No, tragic would be your avatar. And that you probably don't get the irony of your comment.

As for my comment, there was no irony in it. Attacking a person's belief is not the same as attacking the person him/herself. But I guess you didn't know that. - Oh well, you learn something new everyday! :D

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yagami

@Example1013 said:

@Yagami: Sorry, I assumed by the connotations of your post, and by your masterful uses of both language and thought, that you were some type of mentor to him.

You like poking fun on the little guy huh? Do you find joy in bullying the younger kids? You're so mature. :3

THIS THREAD IS TO SHOW RESPECT TO CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS, NOT PERSONALLY ATTACKING ME, IF YOU WANT TO PERSONALLY ATTACK ME, DO SO IN MY NEXT THREAD. - Thank you. :D

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TheHT

@VernSchillinger said:

That's a smooth burn right there that is.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

@Yagami said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Yagami said:

@VernSchillinger said:

As for my comment, there was no irony in it. Attacking a person's belief is not the same as attacking the person him/herself. But I guess you didn't know that. - Oh well, you learn something new everyday! :D

But, you make fun of the beliefs of others. Why is it okay for you and not okay for others?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Yagami said:

@Example1013 said:

You like poking fun on the little guy huh? Do you find joy in bullying the younger kids? You're so mature. :3

THIS THREAD IS TO SHOW RESPECT TO CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS, NOT PERSONALLY ATTACKING ME, IF YOU WANT TO PERSONALLY ATTACK ME, DO SO IN MY NEXT THREAD. - Thank you. :D

Ahh. Already playing the martyr. You're enjoying this a little too much.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Example1013

@Yagami: First of all, I don't owe Christopher Hitchens any respect. I am perfectly within my rights to disrespect and make fun of whoever I please, alive or dead. To believe that Christopher Hitchens is somehow above that just because he's your personal hero, despite the fact that you've never even met him in person, is beyond any level of arrogance I've ever seen.

Second, there are already 2 other threads about Christopher Hitchens created a good 12 hours before this one, both of which are still on the front page. This is a demonstration of your ignorance, because you didn't bother to look for them before making your own.

Third, I really can't say I give a flying fuck whether you consider my posts "appropriate" for your thread or not. The only people who have a final say on what shows up on the forums are me and the mods, and as I'm not violating any forum rules, I'll post as I damn well please.

Fourth, you really need to get a reality-check, and google the word "pretentious", because I honestly can't even really read your posts to see if they have any merit because the pretentiousness with which you write makes my eyes bleed.

And fifth, stop being a hypocrite. You talk about "not being afraid of speaking one's mind". Well, I'm not afraid to speak my mind, and I'm doing so right now.

EDIT: Oh, and one last thing: if you're a younger kid then you should keep your mouth shut when grown-ups are talking.

No Caption Provided
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Yagami said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Yagami said:

@VernSchillinger said:

I'm pretty sure calling somebody 'tragic' and 'insecure' would count as a personal attack. But I think you just proved my point, so who am I to argue?

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Sad for the people who loved him. He seem to be too much of a dick form me to be able to take him seriously.

I'm sure Chris also ran away from threads when he knew he couldn't defend himself. And finished all his arguments with silly smileys.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Turambar

@No0b0rAmA said:

This basically sums up what I feel about him:

Wow, watching that just makes me hate him. Regardless of what his's ideologies are, if his style is to revel in being an asshole in getting points through, fuck him.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By renmckormack

@Yagami: I don't mean to pile on here. I really enjoyed the bombast of Hitchens and his ability to be brash and abrasive and magnetic when he spoke. Free speech is awesome. You know. The First Amendment, that's why its first. But the fact that he's was essentially just guessing as to what happens to our body/soul/mind when we die, just like every other person/religion, actually puts him on the exact same plane as a born-again Christian or any hyper-religious person. Its not like either one of them is "smarter" than the other since they are both arguing about something neither one of them could ever objectively know, until they are at a point when they will be unable to tell anyone. i.e after they die.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Example1013

@Yagami:

I Flagged Your Post Guy

You've written a post or a blog on the forum which may or may not deserve being flagged. Here comes 'I Flagged Your Post' guy. Not content with simply flagging your post and moving on, for some reason he feels compelled to tell you that he did, usually with a post consisting of one word, "Flagged". What does this accomplish? Absolutely nothing, but he wants to rub your nose in it anyway. He's the oil that keeps the gears of the forums moving. Without him the Giant Bomb forums would grind to a halt and decay into a mess of trolls and racists running amok unopposed. Except that this isn't true, but hey he thinks it is.

Here's your badge for being such a good little helper on the forums.

No Caption Provided
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Example1013

Context, for the ladies.

Yagami wrote to Example1013

I am sorry but I flagged you now, the thread is for showing respect to Christopher Hitchens, not spewing shit. It is my own blog and I let you post in it because freedom of speech is important to me. Still you post crap so I had to flag you. I'm sorry, I really didn't want to.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By EuanDewar

Probably best to uphold the values you preach.

Or you know, don't or whatever. Not like that shit matters. Christ.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Example1013 said:

Context, for the ladies.

I am sorry but I flagged you now, the thread is for showing respect to Christopher Hitchens, not spewing shit. It is my own blog and I let you post in it because freedom of speech is important to me. Still you post crap so I had to flag you. I'm sorry, I really didn't want to.

I'm a lady, and this helped me understand what you were talking about.

(Full disclosure - I'm not really a lady)

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jjnen

@Example1013 said:

Context, for the ladies.

How the hell is he same time saying you're free to post anything in his blog and telling that he flagged you?

No Caption Provided
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By McGhee

@Yagami

At this point you ought to sit down and think about why all of your threads turn to shit.

If one man calls you an ass, pay him no mind. If two men call you an ass, go get yourself a saddle.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A great man, although I believe he could be a bit too relentless and harsh at times.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikeGosot
@McGhee said:

@Yagami

At this point you ought to sit down and think about why all of your threads turn to shit.

If one man calls you an ass, pay him no mind. If two men call you an ass, go get yourself a saddle.

Wow, that's awesome. Where's that from?
yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By yagami

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

It is okay, I don't mind. - It is just sad that because I posted a blog I get shit for it. I wanted to make it private as in not appearing in off-topic but there's no such option, oddly enough. - Some folks will automatically dislike all I have to say, it is the curse of their close-mindedness and my young age. :3

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jjnen

@Yagami: Are you a troll? Seriously. Because you're pushing all the right buttons to make me undermine all your threads and opinions.

And don't play a fucking martyr if people don't agree with your opinions and ideals. You seem so narcissist...

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By EuanDewar

@Yagami said:

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

It is okay, I don't mind. - It is just sad that because I posted a blog I get shit for it. I wanted to make it private as in not appearing in off-topic but there's no such option, oddly enough. - Some folks will automatically dislike all I have to say, it is the curse of their close-mindedness and my young age. :3

You know you don't have to attach your blogs to the forums? I mean, you have to make a conscious choice to actually have it do so.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Yagami said:

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

My name is Yagami, and I demand to be taken seriously!
My name is Yagami, and I demand to be taken seriously!
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yagami said:

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

Sure, it's close-mindedness and age discrimination, not the fact that you are always horribly misinformed, incredibly self-righteous and dumb as a brick.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By yagami

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Yagami said:

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

Sure, it's close-mindedness and age discrimination, not the fact that you are always horribly misinformed, incredibly self-righteous and dumb as a brick.

Soon you can spew your nonsense evenmore, i'm working on the next thread. :3 - I'd appreciate you pointing out these stupid things and not just say that I am. You see, people tend to call me stupid, yet they rarely point out anything. This bothers me, so please, do point out these things and PM me these. - Thank you! - On the contrary, the things I point out seem to... if you excuse the way of putting this - make more sense than what they want.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By jorbear

He was a bro fo sho.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@deathstriker666 said:

He was the greatest troll of our time.

Agreed.  I think he spent a little too much time talking
about atheism when he could have been doing some
fucking good on this Earth for the rest of us non-heathens.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gamefreak9

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@deathstriker666 said:

He was the greatest troll of our time.

Agreed. I think he spent a little too much time talking about atheism when he could have been doing some fucking good on this Earth for the rest of us non-heathens.

lol, he was funny... but yeah I don't think he really positively impacted anybody's life. I don't count religion bashing as positive impact... more like waste of time...

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Yagami said:

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

I gotta say your insult is enunciated by the fact that the person your insulting doesn't even have 200 posts :P.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Yagami said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Yagami said:

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

Soon you can spew your nonsense evenmore, i'm working on the next thread. :3 - I'd appreciate you pointing out these stupid things and not just say that I am. You see, people tend to call me stupid, yet they rarely point out anything. This bothers me, so please, do point out these things and PM me these. - Thank you! - On the contrary, the things I point out seem to... if you excuse the way of putting this - make more sense than what they want.

Why the fuck would people need to point out specific things when absolutely every point you have made is wrong? But hey, I'll give you a couple of examples anyways:

"Religion is harmful, not only because of how people think, but how it affects other less intelligent people to also buy into it"

"Now, if a person wants to blow herself up for the sake of Allah... LET HER!"

"I'd gladly go to "hell" (the fiery place) because to me, "heaven" would be a fucking nightmare"

"The human species is a dumb one"

"..."Borders" and "immigration laws".. Fucking idiots. -.-""

"Sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism. It is counter-productive to the human species, and the world overall. Mostly considering that it causes wars."

"Nationalism and Patriotism, what really is the difference? To be a patriot is to be hateful or bitter toward the rest of mankind. It is as wrong as it can get, and as instinctively human-like as it can get. In a word, counter-productive."

"Christopher Hitchens was not afraid of saying what he was thinking, much like myself."

"For those of you who are thinking about saying Rest in Peace. I'll say what Hitchens would want me to say, and what I would want to have said if I had died. FUCK YOU! I AM DEAD! I AM NOT RESTING IN PEACE, I AM FUCKING DEAD!"

chocomuffling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chocomuffling

@No0b0rAmA:

No Caption Provided
AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@Yagami said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Yagami said:

@McGhee said:

@Yagami

It seems to me that you avoid commenting on the posts that bring up exactly why you are wrong.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rudyftw

Hes is a better place now. Just kidding.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fripplebubby

What the fuck is up with this thread? Have any of you actually read anything the man ever wrote, or is this all based on a hand-picked Youtube clip? Most of what I'm reading here doesn't seem like the criticisms of people who actually understand Christopher Hitchens' writings, and this comes from someone who admits that quite of few of the references made in his articles go above his head wholly.

But hey. If you can latch on to one issue that you understand (the war in Iraq = bad. Hitchens says it was good. Me no get?) good on you.