#1 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

I'm pretty damn sure one gigabyte is 1000 megabytes, but thanks to steam and the specs on a few graphics cards I've been checking out, this has unsettled me. A few of the games I owned were around 1000 megabytes to download and I thought 'why not say 1 gigabyte, unless 1 gigabyte is more than 1000 megabytes?'. And I've noticed on some steam games that some specs are for the graphics card to be (1GB), and whenever I see graphics cards on online stores they always say something like, '1024 MB' (an example).

I am pretty sure a gigabyte is 1000 megabytes, but I have fallen into an uncomfortable area of uncertainty and need some help.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

One gigabyte = 1024 megabytes.

#3 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Well this thread can safely be locked now.

#4 Posted by Village_Guy (2407 posts) -

@oatz said:

One gigabyte = 1024 megabytes.

What he said.

#5 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (368 posts) -

For all intensive purposes, yes. 1 GB = 1000 megabytes (its close enough)

To check, I put in 1000 megabytes into a converter and it actually gave this for a gigabyte value '0.97656'

close enough :)

#6 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

1024 Mb sounds better than 1 Gb for people who have no idea it's the same amount of memory

#7 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -
#8 Posted by WonderboyCoz (153 posts) -

Binary man, binary.

Think about it!

#9 Posted by Kiemoe (1053 posts) -

Well, 1000MB is a closer approximation than 1GB

#10 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

Fucked up I was totally telling my parents this over the phone not five minutes ago.

#11 Posted by Gilsham (292 posts) -

b = bit = a one or a zero the smallest bit of information in a computer

B = Byte = 8 bits the size used so all our characters can be represented in the same way

kb = kiloBit = 1000 bits = 125 Bytes

kB kiloByte = 1024 Bytes

bits are normally used in internet speeds and bytes in storage size in advertising

#12 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

@Dick_Mohawk said:

For all intensive purposes

Oh fuck you.

#13 Posted by Sign (291 posts) -

@Dick_Mohawk said:

To check, I put in 1000 megabytes into a converter and it actually gave this for a gigabyte value '0.97656'

For all intents and purposes*

And as others have said a GB is officially 1024MB but you will find different manufacturers etc will use 1GB = 1000MB whenever it suits their purposes or helps them tweak numbers to look better etc.

#14 Posted by Scrap_Metal (22 posts) -

@Sign said:

@Dick_Mohawk said:

For all intents and purposes*

And as others have said a GB is officially 1024MB but you will find different manufacturers etc will use 1GB = 1000MB whenever it suits their purposes or helps them tweak numbers to look better etc.

Its to do with SI units as well.

which is kind of stupid when we cannot read computer harddrives only computers can so it should just be left as 1024

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

#16 Edited by Fizzy (384 posts) -

Yeah, everyone already answered so...

#17 Posted by mnzy (2909 posts) -

It's kinda crazy now, since companies use it how they want. If they use the 1 GB = 1000 MB equation, the hard drive they want to sell has more GB!

#18 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -
@Dick_Mohawk said:

#19 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Dick_Mohawk said:

Oh fuck you.

#20 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

The more you know!

#21 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

Gibibyte and Mebibyte are the more accurate terms they're trying to phase in to end this confusion.

Gibibyte = 1024 Mebibyte
Mebibyte = 1,048,576 bytes

The symbols are GiB, MiB, etc.

#22 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

Gibibyte and Mebibyte are the more accurate terms they're trying to phase in to end this confusion. Gibibyte = 1024 Mebibyte Mebibyte = 1,048,576 bytes The symbols are GiB, MiB, etc.

Whoa, is that for real? I haven't heard of those until now.

Anyway, @OP the easiest way to remember stuff like this for me is to think of things in terms memory. I know when I want to buy a "gig" of memory I'm actually purchasing a 1024 megabyte stick. By extension, two gigs would be 2048 megs and so on and so forth. I'm sure you can pick up on the pattern.

#23 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Subjugation said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Gibibyte and Mebibyte are the more accurate terms they're trying to phase in to end this confusion. Gibibyte = 1024 Mebibyte Mebibyte = 1,048,576 bytes The symbols are GiB, MiB, etc.

Whoa, is that for real? I haven't heard of those until now.

Anyway, @OP the easiest way to remember stuff like this for me is to think of things in terms memory. I know when I want to buy a "gig" of memory I'm actually purchasing a 1024 megabyte stick. By extension, two gigs would be 2048 megs and so on and so forth. I'm sure you can pick up on the pattern.

Yeah, it's real. I've bought a few HDDs already that use GiB on the packaging slip as opposed to GB.
#24 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim: So is this going to be a complete conversion attempt? I see on Wikipedia that there is a complete list of new (to me at least) terms for this IEC standard. Kibibyte · Mebibyte · Gibibyte · Tebibyte · Pebibyte · Exbibyte · Zebibyte · Yobibyte . Now, all I know is that once you have two different "standards" floating around things can get very confusing, for example the metric system vs. whatever the U.S. uses, which admittedly doesn't make too much sense if you think about it (and I'm a resident). Hopefully one becomes the decisive standard before too long and that is all avoided.

Between this and the potential physics shakeup thanks to those neutrinos, my understanding of the world is crumbling around me.

#25 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Subjugation said:

@Fajita_Jim: So is this going to be a complete conversion attempt? I see on Wikipedia that there is a complete list of new (to me at least) terms for this IEC standard. Kibibyte · Mebibyte · Gibibyte · Tebibyte · Pebibyte · Exbibyte · Zebibyte · Yobibyte . Now, all I know is that once you have two different "standards" floating around things can get very confusing, for example the metric system vs. whatever the U.S. uses, which admittedly doesn't make too much sense if you think about it (and I'm a resident). Hopefully one becomes the decisive standard before too long and that is all avoided.

Between this and the potential physics shakeup thanks to those neutrinos, my understanding of the world is crumbling around me.

Well, it's got the backing of the IEEE so hopefully we get a single global standard, but it's up to the manufacturers which they wish to list. However, you know how hard old habits die.
#26 Edited by ack (136 posts) -

well you see it's actually pronounced "jigaboo"

example in normal conversation: "man i downloaded like twenty jigaboos of nine inch nail bootlegs"