Clicked any good ads recently?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Today I actually stumbled upon an advertisement worth clicking.

No Caption Provided

I don't know when this started to be a thing, but I thought it was really cool to find an ad for something I actually like. Of course, I clicked it, and was directed to the last Bombcast page.

Then I tried to remember if there were any other ads I actually clicked out of interest in and I'm drawing blanks. I was wondering if anyone remembers actually clicking ads of something that genuinely drew interests in recent memory?

Most places I ended up visiting on the Internet aren't through ads but either heresay (social media, etc.) or me proactively searching for something on Google.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It's probably a google ad ... they monitor your surfing and show you ads according to your interest. It showed you the bombcast add because you visit this site often I would think.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh hey, I got this ad earlier. Actually , I got it ON Giantbomb when my phone logged me out, so it was kinda redundant. There was a thread about this earlier too, though.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2headedninja: You're right, I hovered over it again and saw it was one of their redirects.

It's a little odd that Google Ads would shoot me an ad for a site I already subscribe to, though. I'll click it inevitably, and then I presume revenue will circulate. Isn't that almost... OH - COLLUSION!

Kind of creepy Google Ads are that on point, though. I mean there are other ad services that get kind of close, although the Facebook ads directed at me are kind of insulting.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The only advert I saw and clicked in my entire life I went "Oh I want to know more!" was on the Webcomic Machall to the side the advert was for another webcomic called Krakow, it had a Succubus pinning a college guy down on a sofa saying "Get Thee behind me."

I am the main mod of the forums and friend of sorts to the webcomic creator for the last 13 years...the only worthwhile advert to click on.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Man I came in here totally expecting some kind of sarcastic, satirical rant about how smart people don't click adds, and neither should you.

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defe

Yeah, there was some chatter about that in another topic a couple days ago.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/ads-for-giantbomb-on-other-sites-1492687/

To echo what I mentioned there, this ad seems like it was likely designed a while ago. It uses the old site logo that was retired in early 2013, and the prominent Luchadeer suggests that it's even older than that. I suppose they probably just had that old design sitting around and decided that it would be easier than making a new one. It certainly isn't a bad design.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: There'd be so much consensus on a discussion against ads though that it's almost not even worth discussing.

Now ads people actually click unironically? That's some next-level discussing.

@defe: Oops! I suspected the ad in particular to have been brought up here, but for some reason the Forums search function was acting up on me and I guess I was unable to dig far enough. At least I was able to kind of incite some tangential discussion on "ads people have actually clicked."

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@equitasinvictus: Yeah, that forum search isn't terribly reliable. As for ads that have been willingly clicked on, I remember Jeff mentioning once a while back that he saw a banner ad, understood what it was communicating, and willingly clicked on it. He found it to be a very strange experience. The same thing even happened to me recently, but I can't for the life of me remember what the ad was for. I guess that's maybe good though? I generally find the trend toward targeted ads to be a good one, as I greatly prefer those to the obnoxious catch-all ads that used to populate the internet.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15