• 69 results
#1 Edited by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

It's official, Stephen Colbert, not to be confused with Stephen 'Cole-Bear' (as that character is being retired, as is the Colbert Report) will replace David Letterman on the Late Show in 2015.

Here's the official announcement

Kind of bummed out, because the 'Cole-Bear' character is endlessly amazing. Not sure what to expect from him, since all I really know of him is that character. Hope he can bring something interesting to the fold

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

"Replace" Letterman? Why can't the show be allowed to retire?

#3 Edited by Demoskinos (14882 posts) -

@funkydupe: Because that is a lot of money left on the table if you just can the show when Letterman leaves.

#4 Edited by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

@funkydupe: CBS probably thinks there's enough weight behind the 'The Late Show' name to keep it, rather than come up with a new name.

#5 Posted by CornBREDX (5383 posts) -

That sucks but maybe he'll use it as a platform to do other stuff beyond political comedy. Could be alright- we'll see. It's still a long ways off.

#6 Posted by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

Crazy how I thought the only people who could take the spot and do well right off the bat were Ellen Degeneres, Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewert. Guess I called that...

#7 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

This news made me sad. There's no way CBS lets him keep the persona. They absolutely should, but they won't.

#8 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

Just wanted to point out how amazing it is Louis CK did a 3 episode arc about who would replace Letterman after he retires on Louie. And fairly recently too (those episodes are some of my favorite of the show)

#9 Posted by StrainedEyes (1325 posts) -

This news made me sad. There's no way CBS lets his keep the persona. They absolutely should, but they won't.

I imagine he accepted this job so that he wouldn't have to keep the persona. Why would he take a new job just to do the same thing?

#10 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

This news made me sad. There's no way CBS lets his keep the persona. They absolutely should, but they won't.

It's already been announced that he is retiring it.

More info from the WSJ

CBS said in a news release that it had signed a five-year agreement with Mr. Colbert to take over its flagship show when Mr. Letterman retires next year.

Mr. Colbert, 49 years old, will retire the character he plays on his Comedy Central show—a sendup of Republican talk-show hosts—and will be himself as the host of the CBS show, the company said.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

I imagine he accepted this job so that he wouldn't have to keep the persona. Why would he take a new job just to do the same thing?

I'm not saying he wants it. He might, he might not. But that persona got him a job on the Daily Show, got him a show that's lasted 9 years and has served as an extremely effective media watch dog. I'm going to miss it, is all.

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Neat. He always struck me as a super smart guy when I seen him in some interview videos outside of the show, but I found that character he played to be so god damn obnoxious that I could never watch the show.

#13 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -

Pretty disappointed, to be honest. The character Colbert plays on The Colbert Report is much more interesting than him just being another late night talk show host.

Also, in before the "guess #CancelColbert worked" joke.

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@milkman said:

Pretty disappointed, to be honest. The character Colbert plays on The Colbert Report is much more interesting than him just being another late night talk show host.

Also, in before the "guess #CancelColbert worked" joke.

Also this.

#15 Posted by OldGuy (1562 posts) -

<sigh> I'm glad Colbert will get to do something new (despite [or maybe even because] it annoying all you people who don't want anything to change ever), since I find him funny and smart but can only take his current schtick in very small doses... but I really hoped they'd move Craig Furguson up to the big show... Oh well...

#16 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2819 posts) -

Craig Ferguson is contractually able to take the "The Late Show" time slot for his "The Late Late Show". I wonder if he is giving that up for something, or if he didn't want that time slot because his slot was working? Maybe, CBS is just bumping him and will legally wrangle teh result later just to get Colbert?

To be honest I think Craig Ferguson one would have been a better choice for the long haul. On the other hand maybe Ferguson wanted some other contractual clause...like a quicker release if he wanted to go to ABC, NBC, FOX, or whomever. Late night shows are tough, they either get an audiences or they don't, so switching time slots can be deathly. Trying to get the Tonight Show or The Late Show is like riding the tiger, you hope you don't fall off and get eaten.

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13219 posts) -

It'll be sad to see the character of the Colbert Report retired, but Stephen has been my favorite late-night talk-show host for awhile now, so if this is something he wants, I wish him the best and I can't wait to see what the new show is like.

#18 Edited by Jedted (2374 posts) -

I hope this is a late April fools joke. I've gotten use to watching his character on Comedy Central and i'll miss his brand of political satire.

#19 Posted by BradBrains (962 posts) -

He will be great at it. Sad about Colbert report though

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4825 posts) -

This is terrible news. What Colbert and Stewart do is a natural evolution of the tonight show era, that's true, but who the hell would want to see a cro-magnon man slum it with a bunch of neanderthals?

Aside from money (which I find hard to believe that Colbert doesn't get enough of), I can't see what the hell could be the benefit of this. He's going to kill the golden goose to take over a job from the non-fiction Crypt Keeper? In what world does late night talk shows still matter? Really old people's worlds.

I just don't understand this. Why destroy something with a young, dedicated audience to babysit insomniacs and old people who like to watch "that boy Carson" while sipping on Metamucil before bed?

#21 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1431 posts) -

No more Colbert Report? That sucks, i lack faith in CBS products....I mean look at shit show that is Giant Bomb.com (i kid, but not a fan of the network though)

#22 Posted by ZolRoyce (710 posts) -

Colbert was my favorite of the Stewart and Colbert line up, sooo that sucks that part of it will be ending buuuut things change and move and end. Hopefully this winds up being good, but if it doesn't at least there was a truck load of great Colbert material already.

#23 Posted by Ares42 (2691 posts) -

I can't help but think that this will actually be a "downgrade" for him (not financially ofc). Guess we'll see, but a straight up hosting job ? That's not Colbert, never has been, never will be.

#24 Posted by Humanity (9384 posts) -

Colbert really came to success. Considering there have been some people in the biz a lot longer than Colbert vying for the spot, he came a long way from a side gag character on Stewarts show.

#25 Edited by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

The more I think about this, the sadder Im getting. Stewart and Colbert were an amazing duo, and the unbeatable kings of late night tv for a good long while. They do a better job of putting people in their place than actual journalists. Colberts Super Pac is one of the best examples of bringing attention to, and simultaneously ripping apart a political system. Its the end of an era.

This news is also making me worry Stewart will want to abandon his spot on the daily show. Him leaving for 12 weeks to write/direct a movie. I could see him leaving permanently if that movie is successful enough. I guess its up to them in the end, but I think what they are doing now is way more important than directing movies or hosting a bland late night show with nothing to say (CBS: TV's home for playing it safe)

#26 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4370 posts) -

I'm really going to miss the Colbert Report and its smart angle of highlighting political bullshit

#27 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Honestly, this is a bummer. I'd much rather have a great political satire and news show than another lame late night guy chatting with stupid celebrities for 45 minutes.

#28 Edited by ArmedBear (221 posts) -

I thought 'The Late Show with Jeff Gerstmann' had a nice ring to it. Oh well, good for Stephen. I am interested in seeing what he does with the show.

#29 Posted by StarvingGamer (8286 posts) -

What is Steven Colbert without the Coal-bear? I don't even know.

#30 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5595 posts) -

I haven't watched the Colbert Report in a while, but I'm definitely going to miss it. I'm super interested to see how Steven handles the whole "character" thing. Will he just be himself or will he retain the character to some extent? I doubt he'll be doing much political satire on the Tonight show, so I can't really see how he'd work it in. I suppose the end of an era brings all kinds of change.

Honestly, this is a bummer. I'd much rather have a great political satire and news show than another lame late night guy chatting with stupid celebrities for 45 minutes.

Also, I wholeheartedly second this.

#31 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

wow, wow, Man, I still hope the character of Colbert remains even if these late shows are nothing more then variety hours for celebrities to plug their new films and shows.

#32 Edited by BradBrains (962 posts) -

Such a safe option. Kinda boring really

#33 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I hope David Lynch trains him for the job like he did for Louis CK on Louie.

#34 Edited by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

Awesome I can't stand either of them. I guess I will just keep watching Fallon then.

#35 Edited by LTSmash (630 posts) -

I'm happy for him and more interested in who replaces him after The Daily Show.

#36 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

Until I saw this thread I wasn't aware that Colbert plays a made-up character so distinct from his own personality. I thought he was being himself on his show with just a little required amount of showmanship, like being a clever smartass or something. (Never watched it though, just the occasional clip here and there).

This must suck for fans of the character then..

#37 Edited by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

I would have rather he stayed with Colbert Report; that show did a lot of good as far as exposing a lot of political bullshit to people who wouldn't normally seek it out. I would've rather Craig Ferguson get moved up, but at the same time I can envision a scenario similar to Conan where his show doesn't work in the earlier 'safer' time slot.

Oh well. Good for Colbert for making a name for himself out of nothing, but it seems like a bad move for everyone involved.

#38 Posted by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -

I'll reserve judgement until I see what he does with it.

#39 Edited by Zeik (2493 posts) -

@singingmenstrual said:

Until I saw this thread I wasn't aware that Colbert plays a made-up character so distinct from his own personality. I thought he was being himself on his show with just a little required amount of showmanship, like being a clever smartass or something. (Never watched it though, just the occasional clip here and there).

This must suck for fans of the character then..

I have to imagine the general vibe and energy of that character will carry over to some degree, as you still need some degree of showmanship for an entertainment show. I assume the most direct change will be he will no longer play into the whole fake republican satire bit.

But who knows. The Late Show is a way different game than The Colbert Report.

#40 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

It was probably a good time to retire the character since he's been doing the same thing every week (I do love the Colbert Report with all of my being though) for years. I just hope this isn't him bowing to the bullshit #CancelColbert thing.

#41 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Fuck, I am going to miss the political satire though since there's already a host of different talk shows. Damn, yeah, that's a bummer.

#42 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2819 posts) -

People are assuming CBS isn't going to turn the Late Show into more of a political satire...

CBS knows the two Jimmies are going the old school route...maybe they are pushing a different way?? Who knows. If they were going the old route with an interview show they WOULD HAVE used Craig Ferguson - he has it in his contract to get that time spot. Since they are not using Craig Ferguson, there be a change in tone or direction. Don't believe the bullshit of Fergie is too out there...Dave dropped 20 lb watermelons off the roof and walked his entire audience down the street.

We can't know what sort of show Colbert will do until he does it, and that just the truth. Does anyone see him just doing Dave's old show really?? I bet you $1 that they show is more 'Report' than 'Late Show'. We need to be on the 'look out' for who the executive producer is and who the writers are to see what might be planned.

#43 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1757 posts) -

This is so bittersweet. I love Stephen Colbert, and it's awesome that he got the job, but I'm going to miss the shit out of the Colbert Report and that character. Crazy news.

#44 Posted by TheHT (11383 posts) -

I'll really miss the Colbert Report. He was fantastic at all of it, including his interviews where in a lot of cases he wasn't really in character anyways.

#45 Posted by Superkenon (1439 posts) -

Good for him. He's had a good run as Colbert, but I know I wouldn't want to play the same character for so long.

Could be fun. Only bummer is that the position didn't go to Craig Ferguson, who's more than earned it (his show is by far my favorite among all the late night offerings). But, maybe he's happy where he is. He certainly has a good thing going there.

#46 Posted by flasaltine (1675 posts) -

Isn't "Cole-Bear" how you pronounce his last name anyway? You make it sound as if his character has a different name pronunciation than the man himself.

#47 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Isn't "Cole-Bear" how you pronounce his last name anyway? You make it sound as if his character has a different name pronunciation than the man himself.

His name is pronounced Cole-Bert but, in college, he changed the pronunciation in an attempt to reinvent himself.

#48 Posted by laserguy (444 posts) -

i wanted someone other than a old white guy.

#49 Posted by johnbakosh (115 posts) -
#50 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Seems as good a choice as any. The only other obvious option would be Craig Ferguson, who is as close as we're gonna get to the 'fuck it, let's just film some bullshit' attitude the Giantbomb guys have, and he'd probably lose that if they take him out of his little corner. Let's just remember, the Colbert Report took quite a while before it really fell into a groove - there was concern they'd stretched out what was initially a one-off joke too thin. I would imagine there'll be a similar adjustment period here.