• 159 results
#1 Edited by mordukai (7125 posts) -

By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer 

BALTIMORE – A  Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a suspected burglar in a garage behind his off-campus home early Tuesday, hours after someone broke in and stole electronics.

Some shocked neighbors said they heard bloodcurdling screams in an area just blocks from the university. Police held the student, a junior chemistry major who turns 21 on Sunday, for several hours, but he was not charged with any crimes Tuesday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

Around 1:20 a.m., the student heard noises behind the home and noticed a door to the garage was open, Guglielmi said. He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder — identified by police as Donald D. Rice, 49, a  habitual offender who had just been released from jail.

Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.

"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.

Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. He died at the scene.

On Monday, two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen from the student's home, which he shares with three other students, but police were not sure whether Rice was responsible, Guglielmi said.

There was a pool of blood  Tuesday morning in the brick courtyard between the back porch of the home and the garage. The courtyard was strewn with debris, including what looked like broken glass.

Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.

Rice's criminal history includes more than two dozen arrests for burglary, breaking and entering and auto theft. According to court records, he was charged in 2007 after he pulled a gun on a police officer, though prosecutors placed those charges on hold because the officer was on military leave.

Rice was convicted in 2008 of unauthorized removal of property and sentenced to 18 months. He was released Saturday from the  Baltimore County Detention Center.

Several nearby residents said the community has experienced a rash of  petty crimes in recent months, including home, garage and vehicle break-ins. Many homes have bars on windows and stickers advertising alarm systems.

Michael Hughes, 43, said he was  getting ready for bed when he heard the screams.

"There was fear in the voice. I could tell someone was scared," Hughes said.

Hughes called 911, and several  police cars arrived while he was on the phone. Campus security officers and an off-duty city officer who were in the area responding to a suspicious person report also heard the screams.

The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the  Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.

"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."

Kenny Eaton, 20, a  junior political science major at Hopkins who lives nearby, said there was some tension between students and lower-income residents of nearby communities. The private  Johns Hopkins is known for its health and science research and has about 4,600 undergraduates on its main campus.

"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.

Three young men, including one in a Hopkins T-shirt, were sitting on the front porch of the home  Tuesday morning. A police officer was standing in the doorway, and a single  police car was parked nearby. The men refused to talk to an Associated Press reporter.

Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.

"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."

Guglielmi said police would consult with prosecutors about whether to file charges against the student. As in most states, self-defense in  Maryland is defined by common law rather than by statute. People who confront intruders inside their homes have a greater degree of latitude to use force, and prosecutors consider whether to file charges in such incidents on a case-by-case basis.

"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an  adjunct professor at the  University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."   

Personally I think the student was in full rights to go Afro Samurai on the burglar's ass and the state should give this guy a fucking medal. If someone brake into your home with full intentions of stealing your possessions or harming your family then you have the full right to defend yourself with any means necessary. 
#2 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Can I say I DREAM of taking out an intruder like that? I do indeed have a katana (a very, very cheap one) that would work quite well and would not hesitate if given the oppourtunity. 

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I don't know about you guys but if I saw some dude trying to steal my things and then he lunged at me and I had a katana I would most likely not hesitate to do some stabbing and some cutting.

#4 Edited by mordukai (7125 posts) -
@AgentJ: you think the burglar dropped some loot?
#5 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

okok this is ok. His own safety. But i keep thinking about  the dude down south who went to his neighbors to go shoot and kill 2 burglars took it too far.

#6 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -

I think the guy is awesome. If a burglar breaks in to your room and is about to steal your stuff and lunges at you then you have the right to take your katana and go Afro Samurai and Samurai Jack on his ass. Then when the burglar is dead you have the God given right to say FATALITY!

#7 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @AgentJ: you think the burglar dropped some loot? "
Yeah, but it'd be my loot, plus whatever he might have in his wallet. Not exactly final fantasy victory tune or zelda discovery jingle. 
#8 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

FUCK YEAH BALTIMORE REPRESENT

#9 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

I woulda done it. 

I'm not sure if that makes it okay.... 

EDIT: This post and the two below I believe were all posted with 1-5 seconds. :O

#10 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Wow, awesome!! If I could kill a burglar with anything, a katana comes to mind first, besides possibly containing a Fat Man mini-nuke launcher in a small space. It is like the scene from Puip Fiction when Bruce Willis has to choose what to kill the rapists with and he picks the katana. It truly is the best choice. Props to the student here who made this guy's hand "hang by a thread." Nice, and disgusting at the same time.

#11 Posted by juice8367 (437 posts) -

Big thumbs up tothe dude that defended himself & his property.  So can he be jailed or something since the thief died?

#12 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -
@natetodamax: The thing is the kid had no clue if the burglar had intentions of harming him or not. It doesn't say the theif was armed but the student didn't know that...
#13 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@juice8367 said:
So can he be jailed or something since the thief died?
Probably.  Might get sued too.

Wonder what kind of sword he had, most of those replica swords you buy on stuff like QVC aren't really good.  A real katana would probably cost $1000+
#14 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

"FLAWLESS VICTORY" would be going through my head.
#15 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Damn, that's close to where I live.
#16 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

" @SJSchmidt93 said:

" @natetodamax: The thing is the kid had no clue if the burglar had intentions of harming him or not. It doesn't say the theif was armed but the student didn't know that... "

That doesn't matter. He assaulted him, killed him, and I'll bet you everything I have that he's going to jail.  I can understand his concern, but that's not an excuse, really "
Did you not read the article? When he approached the thief and said he is calling the cops he lunged at him.

And regardless. It is indeed self defense if somebody breaks into your house and you attack them.
#17 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

See.....you can get away with murder...just "invite" them onto your property and stab them...then when the cops show up, say they were trying to rob you.

#18 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Mordukai said:
If someone brake into your home with full intentions of stealing you possessions or harming your family then you have the full right to defend yourself with any means necessary.
False. If you see somebody break into your house and steal your shit, you have absolutely no right to attack him, let alone kill the guy. You aren't being attacked yourself, so that's not considered self defense. If you hurt him, you're going to jail. At least that's how it is here in Maryland. Now, if someone was going to harm my family, I'd take the bastard out. But stealing my stuff? The only thing you can do is call the cops. Taking the law into your own hands is bad. "
That's how it is here in Maryland. I didn't know that. Guess I'll be sure not to kill a burglar if the come in my house. But.....if they touch my PS3 I'm going to kick their ass. If they break my PS3 I'm going to make my foot disappear in their ass. If they manage to steal it out my house and I'm awake I will chase them outside in my underwear with my PS2 slim in hand ready to fuck their shit up.
#19 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Extremely fucking badass.

#20 Edited by Teptom (2047 posts) -

Damn, this proves you don't mess with a person.. that's holding a freaking katana.

#21 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@RichardLOlson said:
" See.....you can get away with murder...just "invite" them onto your property and stab them...then when the cops show up, say they were trying to rob you. "
Only works in Texas
#22 Posted by natetodamax (19167 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:

" @natetodamax: The thing is the kid had no clue if the burglar had intentions of harming him or not. It doesn't say the theif was armed but the student didn't know that... "

That doesn't matter. He assaulted him, killed him, and I'll bet you everything I have that he's going to jail.  I can understand his concern, but that's not an excuse, really "
Did you not read the article? When he approached the thief and said he is calling the cops he lunged at him. "
Oh, so the suspect lunged at him? I read that part incorrectly. My bad.
#23 Posted by Novyx (479 posts) -
@Diamond:
You can get tempered blades for under 500 bucks, but you're right in thinking that 1k is the normal price.  This is Johns Hopkins we're talking about, though. You don't go there without money.
#24 Posted by natetodamax (19167 posts) -
@GreggD said:
" @natetodamax: God damn, you are fucking thick, sir. "
How am I "thick"?
#25 Posted by MrGetBonus (781 posts) -

Shit, he take my PS3 I'd cut his hand off too.

#26 Edited by Haethos (306 posts) -
@Sincillian said:

"Samurai Jack"

First thought lol :D
#27 Posted by jkz (3999 posts) -
@Eirikr said:
" FUCK YEAH BALTIMORE REPRESENT "
Yessir.....I keep 3-4 switchblades next to my bed....not for that reason but hey, could work
#28 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Hmm, he was defending himself and his proprety, nothing wrong with that 
Pretty badass I have to agree

#29 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Mordukai said:
If someone brake into your home with full intentions of stealing you possessions or harming your family then you have the full right to defend yourself with any means necessary.
False. If you see somebody break into your house and steal your shit, you have absolutely no right to attack him, let alone kill the guy. You aren't being attacked yourself, so that's not considered self defense. If you hurt him, you're going to jail. At least that's how it is here in Maryland. Now, if someone was going to harm my family, I'd take the bastard out. But stealing my stuff? The only thing you can do is call the cops. Taking the law into your own hands is bad. "
*cough* Pussy. *cough*

Seriously though, I have guns and I catch some asshole stealing my shit, pop pop.
#30 Posted by juice8367 (437 posts) -

If you think about it.  It is a really stupid move to lunge at someone holding a 3 foot long blade.

#31 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -
That kid should just drop out and become a certified samurai
#32 Edited by DarkFlow83 (127 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

" @SJSchmidt93 said:

The guy lunged at the kid, so right there he's in the clear.
#33 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @GreggD said:
" @natetodamax: God damn, you are fucking thick, sir. "
How am I "thick"? "

He's either talking about your misunderstanding of the article, or he's saying you're fat.

OR, he is complimenting your "girth".

It's probably the first one.
#34 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The rich kid approached the career criminal guy, not the other way around.  For all we know the student set out to attack the guy because he either knew or suspected the guy had robbed the campus the day before.

If the thief was unarmed, perhaps he was defending himself.

Of course the cops are going to believe the story of the rich kid, especially because he just made the cops' job easier.

#35 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I don't feel any sympathy towards that thief... he was arrested so many times, and there he was again, just released from prison, attempting to rip off one more person.  That guy probably saw too many samurai movies, but hey whatever works...

#36 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

That must of been ridiculas when he heard the noise, looked out his window or whatever into pitch darkness and thought "Where's my Katana". That's awesome.

#37 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -
@Eirikr said:

" FUCK YEAH BALTIMORE REPRESENT "

If you wanna represent you need one of these  
uzi bitch  
#38 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -
@BigBoss1911: More like a gun that shoots Old Bay into people's eyes at a deadly velocity.
#39 Posted by Plasma (931 posts) -

I thought you said burger, spose that's less exciting.

#40 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Glad he isn't my roommate

#41 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" The rich kid approached the career criminal guy, not the other way around.  For all we know the student set out to attack the guy because he either knew or suspected the guy had robbed the campus the day before.  If the thief was unarmed, perhaps he was defending himself.  Of course the cops are going to believe the story of the rich kid, especially because he just made the cops' job easier. "
A guy with a history of B and E is caught by the guy in his garage, in the process of stealing, and you're only response is "he'll get off because he's rich"?  I'm a bleeding heart lib, and even I think the guy needed to be cut in two.  You get out of  jail on Saturday and then break into someone's garage on Tuesday, guess what fucker, GAME OVER.
#42 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

What a badass.

#43 Posted by Akeldama (4236 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
"

By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer 

BALTIMORE – A  Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a suspected burglar in a garage behind his off-campus home early Tuesday, hours after someone broke in and stole electronics.

Some shocked neighbors said they heard bloodcurdling screams in an area just blocks from the university. Police held the student, a junior chemistry major who turns 21 on Sunday, for several hours, but he was not charged with any crimes Tuesday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

Around 1:20 a.m., the student heard noises behind the home and noticed a door to the garage was open, Guglielmi said. He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder — identified by police as Donald D. Rice, 49, a  habitual offender who had just been released from jail.

Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.

"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.

Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. He died at the scene.

On Monday, two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen from the student's home, which he shares with three other students, but police were not sure whether Rice was responsible, Guglielmi said.

There was a pool of blood  Tuesday morning in the brick courtyard between the back porch of the home and the garage. The courtyard was strewn with debris, including what looked like broken glass.

Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.

Rice's criminal history includes more than two dozen arrests for burglary, breaking and entering and auto theft. According to court records, he was charged in 2007 after he pulled a gun on a police officer, though prosecutors placed those charges on hold because the officer was on military leave.

Rice was convicted in 2008 of unauthorized removal of property and sentenced to 18 months. He was released Saturday from the  Baltimore County Detention Center.

Several nearby residents said the community has experienced a rash of  petty crimes in recent months, including home, garage and vehicle break-ins. Many homes have bars on windows and stickers advertising alarm systems.

Michael Hughes, 43, said he was  getting ready for bed when he heard the screams.

"There was fear in the voice. I could tell someone was scared," Hughes said.

Hughes called 911, and several  police cars arrived while he was on the phone. Campus security officers and an off-duty city officer who were in the area responding to a suspicious person report also heard the screams.

The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the  Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.

"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."

Kenny Eaton, 20, a  junior political science major at Hopkins who lives nearby, said there was some tension between students and lower-income residents of nearby communities. The private  Johns Hopkins is known for its health and science research and has about 4,600 undergraduates on its main campus.

"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.

Three young men, including one in a Hopkins T-shirt, were sitting on the front porch of the home  Tuesday morning. A police officer was standing in the doorway, and a single  police car was parked nearby. The men refused to talk to an Associated Press reporter.

Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.

"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."

Guglielmi said police would consult with prosecutors about whether to file charges against the student. As in most states, self-defense in  Maryland is defined by common law rather than by statute. People who confront intruders inside their homes have a greater degree of latitude to use force, and prosecutors consider whether to file charges in such incidents on a case-by-case basis.

"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an  adjunct professor at the  University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."   

Personally I think the student was in full rights to go Afro Samurai on the burglar's ass and the state should give this guy a fucking medal. If someone brake into your home with full intentions of stealing your possessions or harming your family then you have the full right to defend yourself with any means necessary.  "
shouldn't have taken the man's Playstation.
#44 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

That is some badass collage kid! And yes, I believe he had the rights to do it.

#45 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Now that's hardcore. Everybody should wear a Katana at all times. That'd keep the burglar to honest civilian ratio at a reasonable level.

#46 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" Now that's hardcore. Everybody should wear a Katana at all times. That'd keep the burglar to honest civilian ratio at a reasonable level. "
But the burglers would have katanas also!
#47 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@ninjakiller said:
" @Diamond said:
" The rich kid approached the career criminal guy, not the other way around.  For all we know the student set out to attack the guy because he either knew or suspected the guy had robbed the campus the day before.  If the thief was unarmed, perhaps he was defending himself.  Of course the cops are going to believe the story of the rich kid, especially because he just made the cops' job easier. "
A guy with a history of B and E is caught by the guy in his garage, in the process of stealing, and you're only response is "he'll get off because he's rich"?  I'm a bleeding heart lib, and even I think the guy needed to be cut in two.  You get out of  jail on Saturday and then break into someone's garage on Tuesday, guess what fucker, GAME OVER. "
That's not my only response (btw it's your, not you're).  Whose garage was it?  Were they inside the garage or not?  What's this counter they were speaking of?  The story doesn't make it clear. 

Either way I'll make it clear, you can't just kill someone because you suspect they're some kind of criminal.  You kill someone for breaking into a garage, guess what, it's game over for you, because you'll be in jail.

Furthermore the kid was stupid for confronting a criminal with a katana, because for all he knew the guy could have had a gun.
#48 Posted by misterme (5 posts) -
@Mordukai: AEPIC
#49 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

The guy apparently had previous felonies, and it was complete self defense. In a weird, and definitely disturbing way though, that story is kind of cool

#50 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Wow pretty epic, but too bad it had to end that way. Sad really.