#1 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

So I recently picked up Justice League Vol. 1: Origins by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee, and I really enjoyed it. I'd like to pick up another DC volume, but I'm torn between Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls and Green Lantern Vol. 1: Sinestro. I'm a big fan of both characters, so it's a tough call for me. Can anyone who's read one or both of them make a recommendation? Thanks!

#2 Posted by Undeadpool (4868 posts) -

Court of Owls is, without hyperbole, the best Batman book written in a decade. Green Lantern: Sinestro doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you've read what preceded it, though it is good.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (7660 posts) -

Batman: Court of Owls. Definitely. Not only because it's Batman, but also because it's very good Batman.

#4 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

I've also heard really good things about Court of Owls. I think I'll pick it up based on this second recommendation.

#5 Posted by Veektarius (4147 posts) -

As a non comic reader, and I know I wasn't invited to this discussion, I really didn't get the fanfare Batman was surrounded with after 5 issues of it (I tried using it to get into comic books). The whole thing is so... simple. Batman likes Gotham. There's a secret society in Gotham Batman doesn't believe in. They try to beat him up. He's Batman. Maybe comics aren't for me.

#6 Posted by GalacticPunt (983 posts) -

No contest. Scott Snyder's Batman is getting rave reviews across the board. Get that trade.

#7 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

As a non comic reader, and I know I wasn't invited to this discussion, I really didn't get the fanfare Batman was surrounded with after 5 issues of it (I tried using it to get into comic books). The whole thing is so... simple. Batman likes Gotham. There's a secret society in Gotham Batman doesn't believe in. They try to beat him up. He's Batman. Maybe comics aren't for me.

The fanfare is based on more than seventy years of entertainment featuring the character. If you didn't like the court of owls story, then maybe Batman isn't for you, but there is way more to comics than Batman (and superheroes for that matter). That being said, The Court of Owls was an awesome event and Batman is great.

#8 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Oh, and I should probably mention that Justice League Vol. 1: Origins is pretty terrible. I don't know what you saw it in it, but you will love Green Latern and Batman if you could even stomach that garbage.

#9 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

You know, there is another fine CBSi website for just this sort of thing?

www.comicvine.com

#10 Edited by Darkstalker (434 posts) -

batman. Im bias and don't like green lantern though.

Also check our sister site comicvine.com for reviews and such.they would probably know best. /shameless plug.

edit: actually if they are older wouldn't that make us the sister site?

#11 Posted by Legxend (124 posts) -

Pick up the Court of Owls, like others have said it is fantastic. As for Green Lantern I would recommend reading through most of the Green Lantern stuff first before jumping into Sinestro purely because nothing has really changed in the Green Lantern Mythos as I know so far. So here is a run down of the Green Lantern books to pick up.

• Secret Origin
  • Rebirth
  • No Fear
  • Revenge of the Green Lanterns
  • Wanted Hal Jordan
  • Sinestro Corps War VOL 1 and 2
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps
  • Rage of the Red Lanterns
  • Agent Orange
  • Blackest Night
  • Blackest Night Green Lantern
  • Brightest Day
  • War of the Green Lanterns
  • War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath

That is everything up to the point where the Sinestro storyline takes place. I put in bold the ones I would say are essential reading to really get stuck in plus if you enjoy the character then you'll love some of these books.

#12 Posted by ichthy (450 posts) -

@Legxend said:

Pick up the Court of Owls, like others have said it is fantastic. As for Green Lantern I would recommend reading through most of the Green Lantern stuff first before jumping into Sinestro purely because nothing has really changed in the Green Lantern Mythos as I know so far. So here is a run down of the Green Lantern books to pick up.

• Secret Origin
  • Rebirth
  • No Fear
  • Revenge of the Green Lanterns
  • Wanted Hal Jordan
  • Sinestro Corps War VOL 1 and 2
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps
  • Rage of the Red Lanterns
  • Agent Orange
  • Blackest Night
  • Blackest Night Green Lantern
  • Brightest Day
  • War of the Green Lanterns
  • War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath

That is everything up to the point where the Sinestro storyline takes place. I put in bold the ones I would say are essential reading to really get stuck in plus if you enjoy the character then you'll love some of these books.

If you really want to narrow that list down, Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, and War of the Green Lanterns are the main ones to read in my opinion.

#13 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

Batman. The answer is always ALWAYS Batman, no matter what the question is.

To be honest I haven't actually read either series but from what I've heard the Court of Owls stuff is pretty fantastic.

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (4731 posts) -

The Court of owls stuff is fucking fantastic. I dunno if you can get the Batman and Robin stuff collected yet as that is also very, very good.

#15 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Court of owls by a lOng shot. It's one of the best cOmics in years.

Also green lantern relies on you knowing what happened in the last volume while batman is more fresh

#16 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

As a long time Batman fan I feel like I should have enjoyed the Court of Owls, but I didn't. For some reason I just don't like Scott Snyder's Batman (his other writing is fantastic though). Green Lantern is decent, but I would recommend some of the older trades listed above instead.

#17 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

Snyder, Snyder, Snyder!!!!!!