• 69 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by FinalDasa (1587 posts) -

UPDATE: As you can tell towards the end of this thread, Community has been revived!

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/community-to-return-for-new-season-on-yahoo-1201255382/

For those of you who love the quirky, strange, and hilarious comedy Community I have some bad news.

It's been cancelled.

Turns out 6 seasons and a movie will be more around 5 seasons. Now this may not spell the end, because we have seen some shows go from cancelled to cable (or Netflix) and I wouldn't put it past the fans of Community for push for this. But at the very least we got some great seasons of great comedy.

Source.

Moderator Online
#2 Posted by alternate (2693 posts) -

meh, season 4 wasn't great but even 5, after bringing Harmon back, seemed to be wearing the jokes a bit thin.

#3 Posted by RonGalaxy (3061 posts) -

Never watched it because I watch most of my stuff on netflix (and last time I checked it wasnt there). Hopefully, for the sake of the shows fans, it gets picked up elsewhere.

#4 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

They survived the chopping block for like 3 years straight, so I'm glad they at least did this one last season. I don't think they could've done much better than the finale if that is really the way they are going to go out, given that entire thing was just one giant meta-commentary about how they were probably going to get cancelled anyways.

Also I like how you said 4 seasons. Because I fully support erasing Community season 4 from history.

Online
#5 Posted by deskp (445 posts) -

I tried getting into this show a while back, but i think that lead actor is kindof awful, so it feels somehwat nice seeing it cancelled.

Hopefully some new great comedy show will end up taking it's place ! =D

Online
#6 Posted by TheCitizenKaneOfThings (29 posts) -

That sucks.

#7 Posted by KoolAid (891 posts) -

This truly is the darkest timeline.

#8 Posted by ChrisHarris (275 posts) -

Well, I suppose an asteroid must have destroyed all human civilization...

#9 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3154 posts) -

It just seemed everybody on that show has moved on.

#10 Posted by Dr_Monocle (98 posts) -

Kind of sad. I was super enthused about this when it first came on and I dropped off somewhere during season 4. I think there were rumblings of it being picked up by some video on demand service so don't despair completely!

#11 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

.

#12 Edited by crithon (3111 posts) -

under dog till the end.

In the mean time, I can go see Kickpuncher the movie, errr, I mean Winter Soldier.

#13 Edited by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

But we're so close!

#14 Edited by ShaggE (6401 posts) -

As I said on AV Club:

First reaction: "Ah, FUCK."

But Yvette Nicole Brown nailed it: We got five seasons out of this weird thing that usually would get cancelled after one or two, and I'm convinced we'll get our sixth season and movie in some form or another.

This still sucks, though. :/

(by the way, AVC is blowing up right now, which is kind of funny)

#15 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4664 posts) -

This show shouldn't have gone past the first season.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Community until the bitter end but this was never a show that should have gotten renewed with the abysmal ratings it had. Ever. The fact that it lasted for five seasons is amazing.

I'm also not that broken up about it because Rick and Morty is fantastic.

#16 Edited by djou (872 posts) -

Isn't this show owned by Sony? Wouldn't it be awesome if Sony ponyed up some money and made it a console exclusive television show like Microsoft is doing with their TV stuff?

#17 Posted by development (2218 posts) -

Never watched it because I watch most of my stuff on netflix (and last time I checked it wasnt there). Hopefully, for the sake of the shows fans, it gets picked up elsewhere.

It's on Hulu Plus. I donno if it's the whole series or what, 'cause I don't watch the show. Hulu Plus has been investing heavily in the bullshit "we're only giving you the past 5 episodes" thing. Also, tons of ads. On second thought, forget I said anything.

#18 Posted by FinalDasa (1587 posts) -

@djou: I know Sony produces it. However I don't think they own the IP and no clue who owns the rerun rights. The show is already in reruns on Comedy Central and such, so I assume those deals will still keep some cash coming in that Sony and whoever else doesn't need/want to do much more with it.

I wouldn't be shocked if some cable channel or Netflix-like entity picked up the show or made the movie. We'll see.

Moderator Online
#19 Posted by Crembaw (352 posts) -

That's a shame. I haven't seen enough of this show, but I've liked what I have seen. Is it available on Netflix?

#20 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3154 posts) -

Childish Gambino will reform Community into his own Wu.

#21 Posted by Roboculus92 (494 posts) -

That's a bummer. I'd like to see it continue on and make it to six seasons and a movie (consider how close they've gotten) but if this is the end, I could be fine with it.

#22 Posted by RetroVirus (1468 posts) -

It's sad, but at least the last season got to go out with Harmon back at the helm.

#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Damn asteroids. We should have listened to Neil deGrasse Tyson when we had the chance.

#24 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5367 posts) -

That's a real shame. Harmon's return revitalized the show for me. I loved season 5. I really hope they can continue through some other avenue like netflix. Six seasons and a movie may never happen, but I can still dream.

#25 Posted by spraynardtatum (2790 posts) -

I'm excited for whatever Dan Harmon does next.

#26 Posted by CorruptedEvil (2372 posts) -

I bet money it will be picked up by Netflix.

#27 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

They renewed About a Boy though, so everything's going to be okay.

What the fuck.

#28 Edited by GreggD (4486 posts) -

@deskp said:

I tried getting into this show a while back, but i think that lead actor is kindof awful, so it feels somehwat nice seeing it cancelled.

Hopefully some new great comedy show will end up taking it's place ! =D

Yes, because your opinion of the lead actor should dictate whether or not the fans should get to keep their show. That's fucked up. Also, the fact that you have a Doctor Who avatar doesn't give you much room to talk, honestly...

#29 Edited by SteadyingMeat (1144 posts) -

I always thought this show was terrible, but it's surprising to see it cancelled. I thought this had a really big fanbase.

#30 Posted by FonkyMucker (148 posts) -

On the plus side, Parks & Rec. got another season!

#31 Edited by RonGalaxy (3061 posts) -

@development said:

@narujoe93 said:

Never watched it because I watch most of my stuff on netflix (and last time I checked it wasnt there). Hopefully, for the sake of the shows fans, it gets picked up elsewhere.

It's on Hulu Plus. I donno if it's the whole series or what, 'cause I don't watch the show. Hulu Plus has been investing heavily in the bullshit "we're only giving you the past 5 episodes" thing. Also, tons of ads. On second thought, forget I said anything.

it looks like it has every episode, but that's the thing. I don't want to pay for hulu plus. it does have some of the episodes from the 5th season for free, but that doesnt really do me any good.

#32 Posted by meaninoflife42 (503 posts) -

#33 Edited by MannyMAR (424 posts) -

Hopefully we get that six seasons and a movie. I really rooted for that show even in its darkest moments, but I can't say I'm mad either because five seasons is a decent run for a sitcom on NBC.

#34 Edited by Amafi (630 posts) -

Should've done it after season 3 while it was still decent.

#35 Edited by ez123 (1955 posts) -

On the plus side, Parks & Rec. got another season!

I'm fine with that ending too. Brooklyn 9-9 has replaced it for me. But yeah, I'd rather have a new Parks season than Community.

#36 Posted by Dixavd (1331 posts) -

@greggd said:

@deskp said:

I tried getting into this show a while back, but i think that lead actor is kindof awful, so it feels somehwat nice seeing it cancelled.

Hopefully some new great comedy show will end up taking it's place ! =D

Yes, because your opinion of the lead actor should dictate whether or not the fans should get to keep their show. That's fucked up. Also, the fact that you have a Doctor Who avatar doesn't give you much room to talk, honestly...

I just want to say before this (could) escalate. @greggd's point about the implication that @deskp's original comment did imply that it would be a good thing to cancel a show because of personal opinion on liking it or not while ignoring the fans who dislike. That said, it doesn't actually say that, and clearly a more colloquial use was used to joke about what the personal opinion actually means in relation to the ultimate result of this from that single perspective.

That said, my advice to you both is a plea from me to make sure that: you try not to make a point that could be construde in a way that could insult the reader were they not to know you; and when you criticize a point, you don't criticize the person in the aim of knocking-down a viewpoint through associations with the ridiculous/funny and not through explaining problems in the argument directly.

I know this is pedantic and this is the internet on a comment section on something that is stupid, but I care about this stuff so it is important to me to comment on things like this when they stick out to me no matter how trivial. I truly believe your both innocent and not trying to imply anything negative in an insulting way; I'm just saying that this is a way I saw this could be read as.

#37 Edited by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

I binge-watched the first three seasons 6 months ago.. had massive laughs throughout, but by the end of season 3 I knew I was done with the show.

After that I read online that Chase isn't in season 4, which assured my decision to stop watching. Then I got into rapper Childish Gambino a while ago, among many other rappers, only to learn that he's Troy, and that he also is done with the show. So I was already thinking "this show sounds like it's dying"

I will rewatch it soon enough, and thanks for the laughs, Community! First two seasons were geniusly funny.

@koolaid said:

This truly is the darkest timeline.

You're a fucking master.

#38 Edited by ripelivejam (3728 posts) -

feel ashamed to say i actually haven't watched anything after season 3. i guess skip season 4 and go straight to 5? is 5 even worth it?

#39 Edited by Zelyre (1167 posts) -

Don't worry guys. We'll see the Community guys next year. Unless an asteroid hits and wipes out humanity.

Oh. Shit.

Well, before we go, at least we'll get to see Intensive Karen. Or maybe Mr. Mummy? Celebrity Beat off?

#40 Posted by Vrikk (893 posts) -

Maybe Chevy Chase will finally be happy because he got what he wants.

(He thinks sitcoms are horrible things.)

#41 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

feel ashamed to say i actually haven't watched anything after season 3. i guess skip season 4 and go straight to 5? is 5 even worth it?

Season 4 wasn't the best but I don't think it was the abomination that others seem to think it was. I mean yeah, the Dean was incredibly annoying but besides that it was fine.

5 is absolutely worth watching; it's the second best season imo (after 2).

#42 Edited by Sterling (2143 posts) -

@vrikk said:

Maybe Chevy Chase will finally be happy because he got what he wants.

(He thinks sitcoms are horrible things.)

You mean Mr. Cornelius Crane Chase.

#43 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1556 posts) -

I really liked it in the very beginning, when it was just about some sexy narcissist needed to get his college degree. It got weird shortly after.

(Joel McHale is 50 shades of oh god take me, take me now)

#44 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

Sucks for the fans.

I couldn't even make past the first season though.

#45 Posted by GreggD (4486 posts) -

@dixavd said:

@greggd said:

@deskp said:

I tried getting into this show a while back, but i think that lead actor is kindof awful, so it feels somehwat nice seeing it cancelled.

Hopefully some new great comedy show will end up taking it's place ! =D

Yes, because your opinion of the lead actor should dictate whether or not the fans should get to keep their show. That's fucked up. Also, the fact that you have a Doctor Who avatar doesn't give you much room to talk, honestly...

I just want to say before this (could) escalate. @greggd's point about the implication that @deskp's original comment did imply that it would be a good thing to cancel a show because of personal opinion on liking it or not while ignoring the fans who dislike. That said, it doesn't actually say that, and clearly a more colloquial use was used to joke about what the personal opinion actually means in relation to the ultimate result of this from that single perspective.

That said, my advice to you both is a plea from me to make sure that: you try not to make a point that could be construde in a way that could insult the reader were they not to know you; and when you criticize a point, you don't criticize the person in the aim of knocking-down a viewpoint through associations with the ridiculous/funny and not through explaining problems in the argument directly.

I know this is pedantic and this is the internet on a comment section on something that is stupid, but I care about this stuff so it is important to me to comment on things like this when they stick out to me no matter how trivial. I truly believe your both innocent and not trying to imply anything negative in an insulting way; I'm just saying that this is a way I saw this could be read as.

The implications seemed pretty clear to me, but I may be wrong. Who knows. My comment was more in terms of a "fandom" that could be incredibly easy to shit on based on their pervasiveness throughout the internet and "nerd" culture, for lack of a better word, should steer clear of talking mess about another show with a cultish fanbase.

#46 Posted by SteamRickroller (308 posts) -

No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. Just no. A thousand fucking times no.

I swear to God, NBC have already ended up on my shit list for cancelling Go On, but this? This is just fucking horrendous. I'm literally raging right now.

If they cancel The Blacklist, then I'm boarding the next plane to New York, and I'm going to bring my sledgehammer with me.

#47 Edited by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

I tried and tried and tried to get into this show. I just don't get the appeal and didn't think it was funny at all. But pretty much all my friends watch it and I know they'll be disappointed.

#48 Posted by ProfessorEss (7308 posts) -

Feels due.

I absolutely loved the first 2-3 seasons but it hasn't really been doing it for me in a while.

#49 Posted by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

meh, season 4 wasn't great but even 5, after bringing Harmon back, seemed to be wearing the jokes a bit thin.

What are you talking about? Seasons 1-3 are insanely good, and season 5 rejuvenated the show after a lackluster fourth season. I mean really, season 5 was freaking fantastic.

#50 Posted by TheAcidSkull (323 posts) -

Glad I watch always sunny in Philadelphia

Online