• 65 results
themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themoon13

Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls! Cats and dogs! I was fortunate enough to be able to have the legendary Turbo_Toaster sit down and talk with me for a little community interview. It was was super fun, turned out super great and super long. SUPER SUPER SUPER. We didn't do an audio recording of this one, but do not fear, there will be audio interviews as well in the future. Here's my chat with Turbo_Toaster that confirms a shocking Giant Bomb Star Trek secret of epic proportions.

Edit: You can keep up with past and future interviews here.

The Quests & Art

GP: For the two people and a rock that don't know who you are, what's your username and level in real life?

TT: Username and level in real life? Kat Smith and level 5. I don't get out much which makes grinding kind of a problem. And that's the extent of any kind of WoW knowledge I might have. If that even qualifies.

GP: You certainly know more about WoW than me already. Thanks for sitting down with me today, I might just faint in your presence. Let's just jump right into the belly of the beast. The GB community has been dying to know: do you like chocolate ice cream?

TT: YES. It is in fact the most superior of all ice creams; this includes chocolate ice cream modifications such as rocky road. It does not, however, include mint chocolate chip. That is a different organism though delicious in it's own right.    

GP: On a more serious note, you did the quest icons at Giant Bomb. How did that process come about?

TT: Well, in the days of yore I had a friend bug me to keep checking out this site called Giant Bomb. So I did. This was July of 2009. Had a few QLs under my belt when I decided to take to the forums and subsequently started a weekly art blog. A couple months later I received a message from Dave via Twitter asking if I was interested in some icon work. I tried to suppress my excitement and agreed. This happened about mid October of 2009, by the way. 

GP: For some reason this makes me imagine Dave crawling to you and begging you to take some of his workload off of him. Is illustration something you just got into as a hobby or are you looking to pursue a career in it?  

TT: Well, I've been drawing seriously for a few years now. When I work normal jobs I tend to zone out and find myself doodling when I should be working. Working with Whiskey these past 6 or so months has made me think that I might actually have a chance. Note that I have no misconceptions about how intensely difficult it is to make a career out of something like Cartooning or Illustration in general. The internet is a great way to get exposure, but there are also thousands of other people who are gunning for attention. It's definitely a process to get anywhere.

GP: Well said. Did you ever attend any kind of art class or did the skill sort of come to you? 

TT: This is kind of a neat story, I think about it a lot. My dad drew really well, so did my grandma, and apparently as my grandma tells me, her dad as well. He was in WW2 so he couldn't explore it much but I hear he did portraiture, however I digress. I would say I'm almost 100% self-taught, save for whatever bits I may have picked up in elementary and high school classes. A lot of trying to free-hand draw game concept art out of old Gamepro's and PSM's as a kid. That was one of the main ways I practiced

GP: One more art related question: What software do you use when you're doing your stuff on the computer?  

TT: That'd be Photoshop CS3.

The Games

GP: Alright Ms. Toaster, now's the time for some nitty and gritty questions. What games are you currently playing?  

TT: I was heavy into Borderlands for a long while there, I still love it but all I have left to do is Mad Moxxi and Crawmerax so I'm taking a break for awhile. Deadly Premonition I started some weeks ago but I have to be in the right mood for it, and Just Cause 2 most recently.

GP: You just reminded me of my copy of Borderlands that got destroyed *tear* I saw you tweeting some about JC2. Safe to say you're having a good time with that?

TT: I am sorry to hear of your loss, that's terrible. JC2 is one of the better fuck-around games I've played in awhile, it isn't without it's flaws of course (babysitting missions aplenty!) and the combat isn't anywhere near optimal. It makes up for that in looking great and flowing nicely. You know a game grabs you when you step outside and feel like you can almost see the "You can grapple onto this" target icon on everything. Man, I want one of those hooks.

GP: Amazon probably has a sale on them as we speak. What do you play most of your games on these days?

TT: Don't toy with me like that. I started out with a Wii, then moved to a PS3 and finally I got to the bowl of porridge that was juuuust right in my 360. I really loathed the marketing for the original xbox, almost to where I hated it so it was a big 180 for me to fall so hard for the 360 [180 AND 360, I C WUT U DID THUR KAT]. You'll have to excuse me, my coffee and gum breakfast has diluded me into thinking that that was amusing.

GP: Did your coffe predict anything for today?

TT: YES. It told me that it would give me a stomach ache later. The prophecies came true, it was foretold.  

GP: Your coffee is truly amazing whereas my coffee can't even keep me awake. How are you with nerdrage? Ever get super angry at games?

TT: Oh I have rage-quit many a game in my day. Last one I can think of that really got me to where I had to shelve it was... Tomb Raider Legend mostly due to fighting with the controls. But let's be honest, I was playing it solely for those delicious Achievement points. Also I should note that I will curse up a storm, but for the most part I grit my teeth and exhale strongly. Then I resolve not to play the game further as it is affecting my blood pressure. I will not allow a terrible game to alter my physical state.

GP: Wait, back up. How many points ya got?

TT: As of now I have a modest 8,220. I got my xbox last June so I'm tryin' to catch up.

GP: Do you ever rage at other players online?  

TT: Not usually, mainly because I exclusively play online with my friends. Though I do curse at them a lot, if that counts.  

GP: You mentioned some of the games you're playing earlier. Do you have a go to single player and/or multiplayer game that you can fall back on whenever? I'm not really sure what purpose the first sentenced served there.

TT: Fallout 3. I emphasize this with an unnatural passion.

GP: Is your character good or evil? More importantly, are you good or evil?! 

TT: I think right now she's neutral, as for me... I think we can all relate to being a bit of both. I'm not perfect but I don't do things with malicious intent

GP: Except for blowing up Megaton? 

TT: I didn't blow up Megaton! I killed everyone myself. And you can take that to the BANK.

GP: What got you into gaming and what are some of your favorite games right now?

TT: My dad was a big reason for why I like games. Aside from the staples like Mario, we used to play Double Dragon together when I was really young. The games that were too scary for me at the time like Sewer Shark, which I can laugh at now ("DOGMEAT!") I would watch him play. My top games are SMB3, Resident Evil, and my all-time number one is Skullmonkeys.  

GP: Did... did those monkeys ever find their skulls? 

TT Get THIS: they already had skulls.

GP: Truly a product ahead of its time. 

TT: It was a real passed-over PS1 game. A claymation side-scroller, it's probably directly responsible for the person I am today, for good or ill.

GP: I notice the Giant Bomb page for it is kind of empty. Shame on you!

TT: God I know! I'm a terrible monster, I'll hopefully get to it someday.

GP: So we're in 2010: the future. What games are are you interested in seeing/playing this year?

TT: 3D DOT GAME HEROES. I have to actually make a point of looking up the 2010 releases. From what I saw, EA didn't have a whole lot besides sports which is their bread and butter these days.

GP: Their FIFA series is responsible for my limited edition gaming razor valued at $9. Respect! 

TT: Hey man, I do not speak ill of sports. I enjoy swanky free razors and also Hockey. Also they know that gamers are unkempt ANIMALS!

GP: I’m just yankin your chain, no worries. What do you think of everyone jumping on the motion control train?   

TT: The idea certainly has potential, I think Nintendo lost their way almost out of the gate. I remember when their motto was "Quality over Quantity", the N64 and GC shelves quite clearly exercised this as opposed to the PS1/PS2 catalogs. It'll be interesting to see how/if Playstation Move and Natal change the game.

GP: At this point and time,  do you think you are going to run out and get Natal for your 360 when it comes out? 

TT: I'm probably going to sit back and see how it fares, also I think the general consensus is it'll be standard with the next iteration of Xbox. I'm not adverse to snagging it sooner if it's good though.

GP: Do you think there's room for so many control variations (Move, Natal, Wii Remote, calssic ass controller)? Personally, I'm looking forward to motion controlled Rock Band instruments. That are also tracked by a camera. 

TT: Good question. I know I'm running out of space. I was unaware of this development!

GP: Rock Band 3 exclusive right here.  Do you have any favorite game characters? If so, why? 

TT: Hah, oh boy. Give me a moment here I know there are some choice picks swimming around this brain of mine.

GP: I heard you like Mudkipz. Sorry.

TT: THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER *awkwardly fumbles with the mic* Mudkips are good but they aren't so much a character as a fictional species. Therein lies your folly, sir

GP: I have seen the error of my ways thanks to you.

TT: Croc from the old Croc games I always found adorable with his gobbledygook dialogue. Lara Croft was a character I adored mainly because she wasn't a typical mary-sue, she was flawed in a lot of ways and made mistakes (Angel of Darkness isn't a character flaw but it bears mentioning). Klaymen from Skullmonkeys reigns King. He's so deliciously weird.

The Secret Confirmed!

GP: I wonder if people are still reading this. Let's take it home for a sec. Team VJ or BR?

TT: I refuse to pick a side, they are all my friends. I think. I'm trying not to read too much into that restraining order. Also I haven't seen an episode of this ER as I'm going to try and get through the game once myself.

GP: That's the spirit! Do you have any minions on the forums that you wanna give a quick shout out to? Or talk some smack? 

Yes I do. Kouerson, you are a no-talent ass clown and I hate you. When I see you at Wrestlemania I am going to rip your esophagus out of your tailpipe. 

GP: Please film it for the follow up interview. Do you have any favorite Giant Bomb moments?

TT: I don't know if this counts, but I'll settle on the Star Trek Online Beta Closing Party. I was working at Brad's empty desk when Ryan handed me a beer and we all proceeded to the TANG couch area. Best vacation ever and I became a teensy, giggly part of GB histor

Duder, its over!

GP: Sounds like a great time was had by all. Giant Bomb mystery #347 revealed! We should probably start wrapping this up. Got any plugs or anywhere people can keep up with you?

TT: Oh sure. My Tweetah can be found here.  And I have a little art blog that I try to maintain with regularity here. 

GP: Alright, now this is the part where you say WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT!

TT: PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER

GP: Thanks a million for your time Turbo_Toaster, if that is your real name!!!!!!!!!!!????????

TT: I wish! And you're very welcome, it's been a pleasure.

Hope you all enjoyed our interview half as much as we did!
Thanks again Turbo_Toaster! 

Edit: Stang interview has been delayed (the man wants to bless you with his voice!) so lordofultima is next! Stay tuned.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Cool idea!  

Next up are Stang and lordofultima.  

Bad idea!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai

This should really be voice.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

holy crap that was lengthy. i blazed through it though. very nice interview 

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By themoon13
@Jeffsekai said:
" This should really be voice. "
Ultima will be voice. Not everyone can/wants to.
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By turbo_toaster

Apologies, I lost my headset!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai
@GoranP said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
Ultima will be voice. Not everyone can/wants to. "
GET HYPE
Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kouerson

I WANT YOU IN THE CAGE. I WANT THE CHAMP. I WANT THE STALLION.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By ZombiePie

This is a pretty neat thing you did. Keep up the good work!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

I KNEW SHE WAS A WITCH!!! 

BURN HER!  BURN HER!!!

John_Bender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John_Bender

Nice interview. Love the art for the quest achievements and wish to see more art from Turbo_Toaster around the site to brightin up the place and make me smile.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By dethfish

Good interview. I was curious how long Turbo_Toaster had been in on this quest system. 

And I like the idea of community interviews. 

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Awesome interview! Great flow, great questions, great answers. Looking forward to more!

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By ArcBorealis

Very nice interview.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By mracoon

This is great idea, can't wait to see who you interview in the future.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By jakob187

Also, vanilla is the best ice cream....or at least, it's racially superior.  T_T

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By bonbolapti

Video I say! A comfy chair and a fireplace with the majestic Science world in the background. Interrupted ever 7 minutes by a sky train.

hey? hey? :D

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mmmslash

I'm going to send Stang angry PM's until he agrees to do it with voice.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By themoon13

Thanks for all the support everyone. Ms. Toaster was the real star of the show here.

@mracoon:  Right now its Stang and then lordofultima. I might just come knocking to your door as well. 
@Scooper:  But why?

indian_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By indian_boy
@jakob187 said:
" Also, vanilla is the best ice cream....or at least, it's racially superior.  T_T "
Clearly the woman prefers it brown. =) 

Either way: amazing interview. Questions were great, answers were great, and I don't feel like i wasted time reading it.  
That's always a good point. 

KEEP 
IT 
UP!
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I remember hearing some female giggling during the Live Beta Shindig. You lucky dog...

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kouerson

NO HOLDS BARRED, NO DQS. TEXAS TORNADO RULES.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny

More of these kind of interviews need to happen. Nice job!

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deathstriker666

I would love to see an interview for the talking hamburger that is Sweep

Also, keep up the good work

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25  Edited By the8bitNacho

Someone should interview the "Are Hamburgers sandwiches?" thread.  Just sayin'.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee

That was quick, didn't expect it to begin so soon. And for all the better at that <3 fun read.
themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By themoon13
@deathstriker666 said:
" I would love to see an interview for the talking hamburger that is Sweep  Also, keep up the good work "
Noted :)
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#28  Edited By JackiJinx

Good job, dude. Do some more.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stang

I would need to get some sort of headset contraption to do voice. My off brand 360 headset is a no go. Maybe Ultima will mail me his.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karmum

Great interview, definitely looking forward to more of these!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is a badass idea.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Organicalistic_

GO CANADA!!! *takes off shirt, them jumps up and down*

SunmanJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SunmanJ

That was awesome. I think the tone was perfect and the questions were just the right amount of gaming and otherwise.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Legend

Great interview! Looking forward to the one with lordofultima.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By neoepoch
@indian_boy said:
" @jakob187 said:
" Also, vanilla is the best ice cream....or at least, it's racially superior.  T_T "
Clearly the woman prefers it brown. =) "
Once you go chocolate, you don't go back?
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By teptom

Terrific interview and terrific idea.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By jeff

This interview reminded me that Star Trek Online exists. I should play that sometime.

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By BackpackKat

Wow you actually did this!Q It must have been all that clean shave face that allowed you to come through on such an awesome idea. Once your done with all the important people I would happily do an interview with you!

indian_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By indian_boy
@neoepoch: @neoepoch said:
" @indian_boy said:
" @jakob187 said:
Clearly the woman prefers it brown. =) "
Once you go chocolate, you don't go back? "
Once you go brown, you don't stop going down 
...to the convenience store to buy chocolate ice cream. 

And I'd love to do an interview too =D! 
Sounds like fun
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Linkyshinks

Wooo

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By yetiantics
@Scooper said:
"Cool idea!  

Bad idea! "

Agreed. 
No good can from this!
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By apathylad

Interesting. Wouldn't mind checking out other community interviews. It's like formspring!

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By themoon13
Thanks again for the kind words. The next interview will probably go up in 3 or so days. I was thinking I would do 1 or 2 a week.

@Jeff: At least you're not paying monthly for not playing it.

@indian_boy: Haven't I interviewed you to hell on our various gaming shows and podcasts over the years? :P
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Nice interview. I read the whole thing!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dalai

I like that she enjoys chocolate ice cream mods.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#46  Edited By Symphony
@Jeffsekai said:
Meh, tons of sites do texted interviews... and magazines obviously. Nothing wrong with them. 

Great idea GoranP and cool interview with Toaster :)
indian_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By indian_boy
@GoranP said: 
@indian_boy: Haven't I interviewed you to hell on our various gaming shows and podcasts over the years? :P "
Nope. Strict difference between interviewing and asking questions while co-hosting :).  
And you know you want to lol.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By artofwar420

Lovely interview.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lordofultima
@PantyshotMQN said:
" @Scooper said:
"Cool idea!  

Bad idea! "
Agreed. No good can from this! "
My sentiments exactly. I'm the only one doing voice? The pressure!
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Stang
@lordofultima: Hit me up with a link to a cheap ass mic or something and I will do voice. I don't scare.