Computer stopping while playing some games.

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TehFedro

So here's a thing that has actually been happening since I got my graphics card installed on my last birthday. Started with playing Left 4 Dead 2 awhile after installing it and around 30 minutes in my screen turns black, and all that is left is the sound of my shooting. I wait for awhile but no blue screen appears so I revert to turning it off via the power button, this happens with every computer stopping game.

So what the hell is going on here? I can put the graphics to low or take off anything that I feel would do something like this and that doesn't do anything whatsoever.  

And so I don't have to put later: 

Specs: 

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 149 GB
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Monitor:  Generic PnP Monitor
Operating System:Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
     Power Supply: Rocketfish gaming 500W (600W peak)

And yeah My drivers are updated every time I play a game.

Games that have done this: 
Left 4 Dead 2 
Fallout: New Vegas (only in some mod place that was pretty big... I think that was the problem)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (even on low with the uh... thing with the far viewing low. Also yesterday after doing something it stopped doing the stopping thing but it's back now.) 

And yeah I have SpeedFan, when I play a game that stops my computer, my GPU and the Temp 1 get only to the max of 47C, the core (if that's even important) I don't think has gone over 30C, and the rest are under 40C. 

Possible problem:  Apparently I have a third fan that has 0RPM, but I check inside my computer and it seems they are all spinning. 

Sorry if this isn't the best looking thing in the world, I've never had to ask about anything like this on teh interwebs. Thanks to anybody who provides any help!
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

Are your video drivers updated?

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TehFedro
@onarum: Damn, something I forgot to mention, but yes they are.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

...Vista?

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TehFedro
@ThePhantomnaut: That's just... I mean uh... But if... god dammit probably.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Xeiphyer

My first thought was definitely overheating, but it seems like that isn't the issue...

Have you tried alt +tabbing when you get the black screen to get out of the game? or Alt + F4 to kill it, or ctrl + shift + esc to pull up task manager? 

Task Manager would probably provide some nice information about CPU usage and anything out of the ordinary that we could use to diagnose the problem.

Regardless, itd be a good idea to go update your graphics card drivers.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By grilledcheez

Sounds like what my 5770 did when I got it...turns out it was f'ed and upon installing my 460gtx everything ran fantastic

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TehFedro
@Xeiphyer: No I did that stuff, my screen just power saves and I can't do anything, replugging the monitor during the stop or anything else. And apparently there is an update I missed and am downloading that now, I have a feeling that wont help since this has been a problem since I installed the graphics card.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@TehFedro:
It's actually a really common 9600GT problem and has been around since 2008.  It's pretty common in cheaper 9600GT cards.
Basically, your 9600GT is overheating and disabling display output as it cools.  The problem is that DirectX games tend to lose focus of the window they're outputting to and so the game's window doesn't come back when the card has cooled.
The simplest solution is to get EVGA Precision (you'll need to register to download it, but it's free) and then use to downlock the 9600GT by around 20%.
TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TehFedro
@SeriouslyNow: Alright, I'll try that and see if it works.
TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TehFedro
@SeriouslyNow:  Sorry to bother but how does one downlock? I'm no expert at all and I don't wanna kill my graphics card or anything.
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By m1k3

it could be a bad video cable

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TehFedro
@m1k3: Earlier today I went in the computer and switched some things and secured wires and other things, checked for any damage and there was nothing, at least that I could see.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Xeiphyer
@TehFedro: Hopefully what SeriouslyNow said will fix it. Another thing I just thought of is that it might be a hardware compatibility issue.

Sounds like what the other guy mentioned is definitely the problem though. As for downclocking, just grab the software and google up a guide, should be plenty out there if this issue is common =P Good luck!
TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TehFedro
@Xeiphyer: Google has been pretty bad so far, overclocking is everywhere but the downclocking just doesn't show up unless overclocking is the opposite or something to it. Jeeze, I have the graphics card not installed for 3 years because I need a power supply, I get the power supply and I install it and now this.  

Anyways, it's time for that sleeping thing, thanks for all of the people who helped today, I hope I can just resolve this and play some games without any trouble for at least a few years.