dr3day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By dr3day

I was a pirate. There. I said it.

I still remember my first piece of warez. It was the Winter of 92. This was before the internet hit big times. Back then, the internet was still fledgling. There were only a few nation-wide carriers, mainly Compucom, Prodigy, and GENIe, but the way to go back then was with a local carrier. They would usually offer you the best dollar per minutes deal. Yes, that's right.... there was no "unlimited" plan back then, we paid for minutes, roughly $35-50 for 20-30 hours a month. 

But I'm getting ahead of myself with all this fangled internet talk. The internet was for rich people. The rest of us had BBS.

The BBS systems were pre-internet.Local PC stores used to carry these PC newspapers for free, and in the back of the newspapers you found telephone numbers for local BBS systems. The systems were setup for people to exchange ideas, theories, communicate online, much like an internet forum. I remember grabbing one of these magazines, rushing home, sitting in front of a 386 and basking in the light of my 14.4k modem as it screeched to lands unknown. I had no idea what was to come. 

During one of my frequent calls to random BBS systems, I befriended one of the operators, who let me in on a secret: The BBS systems were not only for communication between people, but filesharing. Namely, illegal filesharing. "I will give you three days to heaven" he said. A new menu appeared in the front page. A secret warez menu. I delightfully clicked. 

Before P2P and Torrents, we had BBS.

Monkey Island! One Must Fall 2097! Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! Kings Quest! Hero's Quest! Doom! Wolfenstein! I was in gaming heaven. And it was free. All free. I silently held my excitement as I sat there viewing all the gaming opportunities, lest my parents hear me downstairs and come shut off my preciouuusss.... "Three days? Three freaking days!?! That's not enough time!!!!" I thought to myself. There was no way to download during the day, because the phone lines would be tied up and my parents would know something was amiss. My plan was to fake going to sleep, get up in the middle of the night, and start the download. I would then go to sleep and wake back up before my parents, turning off the PC. No one would be the wiser. I put my plan to action. "Good night", I told my parents in my ninja turtles PJ's (I was 10 at the time) and went to "sleep". 10, 11, midnight passed, and I finally heard my parents bedroom door close. I crept back up the stairs and turned on the PC. I was ready to go. 

During the next few months, I would secretly hop from BBS to BBS, exchanging warez games like Pokemon cards. Those were simpler times. There were virtually no griefers. No fanboys. No script kiddies. No 4chan. Pedophiles were still stalking children the old fashioned, lollipop in the park kind of way.  People online helped each other, were honest. There was a certain unspoken code of honor between online users. Anonymity did not translate into rudeness or social irresponsibility. They were good times. They were naive times.  

Then it happened. The era of AOL was upon us. The online community would never be the same..........

To be continued....
dr3day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dr3day

I was a pirate. There. I said it.

I still remember my first piece of warez. It was the Winter of 92. This was before the internet hit big times. Back then, the internet was still fledgling. There were only a few nation-wide carriers, mainly Compucom, Prodigy, and GENIe, but the way to go back then was with a local carrier. They would usually offer you the best dollar per minutes deal. Yes, that's right.... there was no "unlimited" plan back then, we paid for minutes, roughly $35-50 for 20-30 hours a month. 

But I'm getting ahead of myself with all this fangled internet talk. The internet was for rich people. The rest of us had BBS.

The BBS systems were pre-internet.Local PC stores used to carry these PC newspapers for free, and in the back of the newspapers you found telephone numbers for local BBS systems. The systems were setup for people to exchange ideas, theories, communicate online, much like an internet forum. I remember grabbing one of these magazines, rushing home, sitting in front of a 386 and basking in the light of my 14.4k modem as it screeched to lands unknown. I had no idea what was to come. 

During one of my frequent calls to random BBS systems, I befriended one of the operators, who let me in on a secret: The BBS systems were not only for communication between people, but filesharing. Namely, illegal filesharing. "I will give you three days to heaven" he said. A new menu appeared in the front page. A secret warez menu. I delightfully clicked. 

Monkey Island! One Must Fall 2097! Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! Kings Quest! Hero's Quest! Doom! Wolfenstein! I was in gaming heaven. And it was free. All free. I silently held my excitement as I sat there viewing all the gaming opportunities, lest my parents hear me downstairs and come shut off my preciouuusss.... "Three days? Three freaking days!?! That's not enough time!!!!" I thought to myself. There was no way to download during the day, because the phone lines would be tied up and my parents would know something was amiss. My plan was to fake going to sleep, get up in the middle of the night, and start the download. I would then go to sleep and wake back up before my parents, turning off the PC. No one would be the wiser. I put my plan to action. "Good night", I told my parents in my ninja turtles PJ's (I was 10 at the time) and went to "sleep". 10, 11, midnight passed, and I finally heard my parents bedroom door close. I crept back up the stairs and turned on the PC. I was ready to go. 

During the next few months, I would secretly hop from BBS to BBS, exchanging warez games like Pokemon cards. Those were simpler times. There were virtually no griefers. No fanboys. No script kiddies. No 4chan. Pedophiles were still stalking children the old fashioned, lollipop in the park kind of way.  People online helped each other, were honest. There was a certain unspoken code of honor between online users. Anonymity did not translate into rudeness or social irresponsibility. They were good times. They were naive times.  

Then it happened. The era of AOL was upon us. The online community would never be the same..........

To be continued....
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Love that video. "there's not a lot of cursing or swearing. There's not a lot of personal cuts. There's not a lot of put-downs..."

I'm sure a lot of us used to pirate before we understood the ethics of it, and occasionally still do. When I was 13-14 or so I played a lot of games on my SNES emulator; sometimes I owned the games on the cartridge but they stopped working, sometimes I had never heard of the games before.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By toast_burner

I never pirated a game its wrong and illegal
Avatar image for irradiatedturnip
IrradiatedTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IrradiatedTurnip

Interesting story. I'm actually looking forward to the next part.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By teh_destroyer

We all have done it a few times, hell my first pirated game was Command and Conquer.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad

While were on the subject, how do you all feel like sites that host copyrighted material like Megavideo, megaupload, and youtube? Isn't that piracy?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

I've never pirated a game, but I used to pirate music until one day I just said, "nah" and have always paid for music since then.
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

That was fantastic.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Azteck
@toast_burner said:
" I never pirated a game its wrong and illegal "
Downloaded any CD's lately?
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By maxszy

Great post and introduction! Very interesting read, can't wait for the next installment!

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toast_burner
@Azteck said:
" @toast_burner said:
Downloaded any CD's lately? "

nope
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RsistncE
@toast_burner said:
" @Azteck said:
" @toast_burner said:
Downloaded any CD's lately? "
nope "
Watched any youtube lately?

Seriously, without hijacking this thread like some of the moral high horse douches have, I'm really looking forward to the next part. That was an excellent read. Ever thought of a career in in writing?
DeavonW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeavonW
@toast_burner: Is it lonely up there... on your pedestal?
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ghostiet

Awww, I hoped you have a wooden leg and an eyepatch.

Lock this thread.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hitchenson
@Brendan said:
" I've never pirated a game, but I used to pirate music until one day I just said, "nah" and have always paid for music since then. "

Oh, this had to be done.
 Oh, this had to be done.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Blackout62

To reiterate the previous posts I'd like to state how high quality your writing is and how interested you've made me in your next posts.

Avatar image for szayelaporrogranz
SzayelAporroGranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion about piracy I see nothing wrong with pirating games at all.Now maybe some games like new games that just came out but I don't think there's nothing wrong at all with pirating games that are as old or older than like a decade like the PS1 and SNES games.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toast_burner
@DeavonW said:
" @toast_burner: Is it lonely up there... on your pedestal? "

i dont think high and mighty of my self just for not doing something i believe is no better then directly stealing from someone.
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inkeiren

I used to pirate music, I don't anymore, etc. I don't watch things illegally uploaded on Youtube either. 

I think it is completely fine that I buy music (See how far we've come?). But I don't attack people who pirate either, I understand their perspective, and attacking them isn't going to change anything.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hitchenson

If this story doesn't end with you Bel Airing the Giant Bomb user base, I'll be disappoint. 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Evilsbane

I download games but only ones I already own (My poor Crysis CD...*sob*) or games that are So old that finding a place to torrent them is hard.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By TheHBK

Didnt bother to read it.  mostly because i wanted to be validated in asking....

Were you an ass pirate?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

Interesting.  I didn't get a modem at all until 1996 (and unlimited internet access flat rates were finally about), but I'd wanted one for a long time.  No assholes or fanboys on BBSs in 1993?  I find that hard to believe.  By the time I got on the net in 1996 there were tons of assholes and fanboys everywhere!  People were arguing about shit on newsgroups since the 80's.  No, human nature hasn't changed.

dr3day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dr3day
I appreciate all the positive feedback guys, thanks a lot. I thought my writing was subpar, I was just bored and at work so I thought I would reminisce about my personal history being a warez kiddie :)

@Diamond: Touche. You make a valid point, I shouldn't have written my experiences as law as to what the atmosphere was like back then. I can only attest for my personal dealings with people. You have to remember, BBS were mostly local - nobody wanted expensive long-distance phone bills, so we were connecting to local people. I'm sure somewhere, in some city the first trolls were born, but at least from what I remember the online experience was a relatively safe "Disney movie" event. At least compared to the cesspool of today's nets.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond
@dr3day: You do have a point though as unlimited internet and especially AOL did bring a new kind of stupidity to the net.  There were always virii and assholes, but I too noticed a change in the kind of assholes the net got.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By Symphony

Ahh I remember the wonderful days of BBSes! One of my favorites was Tiger's Domain (not that anyone would have heard of it, it was a local Victoria BS run by some gal in her basement), but it had LORD with all the addons, woo! LORD was so rad. I remember sort of partaking in pirating as a kid and not thinking much of it -- my dad and his other computer geek friends would swap Sierra adventure games all the time; we'd buy the King's Quests and another friend would buy the Police Quests or Space Quests and we'd trade and play those ones while they played the ones we bought. 

I also remember totally "hacking" the "child safety" in Leisure Suit Larry when I was like 5 or 6 by just answering the questions enough times to find out the right answers and memorize them. I still remember there being a question about Reagan starring in "Bedtime for Bozo" with a monkey. Oh and giving the poor hobo a rose in the back of the bar. Poor guy looked so sad and lonely :(

I had completely forgot about the fact that services like Prodigy charged by the minute until you mentioned it. Damn, that really did suck (though it was my dad paying the bill, haha!)  and that BBS users were definitely more polite and it was such a simpler time. Ahh well, I like the Internets as it is now even with its flaws. Looking forward to reading more :)

dr3day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dr3day
@Symphony: ah, someone after my own heart! Yes, you bring up great points about the limitations of BBS which I hope to get to in my next post - local only. It ultimately became the demise of the BBS systems as we know it. Early anti-piracy methods were interesting too, as they didn't account for global pirating, just local, hence the odd requests to input the 4th word from the 8th paragraph of the 23rd page of the manual. 

LSL was a classic adventure game, I remember walking into the bar as soon as you start and staring at the blockiest nude woman poster ever concieved. The nipples were two huge red pixels and the pubic hair was just one huge black pixel. Memories...
Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kblt

I love people who say that pirating is ethically wrong and hurts the dev of the game and when finished the sentence they fire up DC++ and start downloading single songs. Sure is hypochrisy in here.

Cool story, though, OP.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Godwind

I remember BBS.  It sucked.  Although at the time I was 3 or 4 when I was using the damn thing and I was illiterate.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RetroIce4

I heard that pirates spend more money than people who acquire it in a legit way. I don't know and I can't remember where I saw that article.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Interesting story, looking forward to the next part.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Hamst3r
@RetroIce4 said:
" I heard that pirates spend more money than people who acquire it in a legit way. I don't know and I can't remember where I saw that article. "

I believe it was in regards to music. Music piracy is a pretty easy way to discover music you might have never otherwise found.
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By JazzyJeff
@dr3day: Ha. This is great. I remember watching my Dad use BBS systems on an old Texas Instrument. I used to love computers back then because they were so mysterious to people. It was an entire underground culture.
GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GoodKn1ght

actually....this was very informative and i must say it has peaked my interest in how the internet used to work. I was to young to remember this but it sounds like the internet was once a much cooler place to hang out. 

on the issue of piracy, i'm with the guy who said he doesn't have a problem pirating games that are hella old and you can't even find them. The reason being is that most of that old stuff you can't find and if you do find it somehow, the original people who made it don't even own it....which i'm not gonna support some corporate company cause the thought they should by a hot game and then run it to shit. basically don't pirate anything you can easily buy.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

pretty crazy with internet. i remember first getting onto the internet when i was younger. i remember playing flash games and waiting like a hour for the game to load. i would read harry potter book when i was doing this as it would take a long time.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By Geno

Dude you were 10 when you did this? That's badass. 

the_crowd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By the_crowd

aaaw, the memories.... i remember online rates for downloading warez in germany being so expensive that it would be usually only cheaper than buying the real thing if you went online between 9pm and 6 in the morning... still didn't stop me... :)

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JakeLogan

If I may have my own confession? 

I was a pirate before I even knew what one was - I never questioned why 90% of my C64 games had hand written titles :S
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HydraHam

I can see why people pirate, and if you can live with the fact that you are stealing im ok with that, but when someone tries to justify pirating is when i have a problem, you CANNOT justify stealing movies, music, games, programs etc.

Never pirated in my life and i never plan on it, but great post.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By rawrnosaurous
@dr3day: I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with that, it's not too often that you find people who will write a well thought out and coherent post. Hell, it's not often that posts themselves are grammatically correct or spelled correctly. So I must say I am very surprised and intrigued, you get a follow dear sir.

More onto topic though, I am curious as to how recently you stopped pirating games, or things in general. I have been known to pirate things here and there, hell I'm a member of Demonoid. I don't think I have ever pirated anything that I either haven't owned or plan on owning. I had to recently grab an iso of Command and Conquer 3 because my disc was unusable. I torrent TV shows because while there is cable currently in my home, and DVR's no less I find torrents are the easier way to watch them. I may have gotten a Movie or two while they were still in theaters, but I find the cost of going to the movie theaters lately to really be exorbitant. I will still go to the theater if I find a movie that truly has to be watched in a theater, (Harry Potter) I do so knowing that I'm going to end up buying the DVD's once they come out and I find it to be strange that I have to pay twice for one movie.

P.S. Sorry if that seemed rambling or incoherent, I've drank a little bit.