#1 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

Does anyone else get aggravated by this idiotic political practice of having people enter their birthdate to watch mature videos on videogame websites? What is that anyway, a literacy test? If a thirteen year old wants to watch an 18+ video, he'll just say he's 40. All these age tests do is piss me the hell off and force me to clear my cookies whenever I accidentally misclick and the site forces me off the video. It's one of my biggest pet peeves, along with the disclaimer in the beginning of adult image boards and being ID'd for cigarettes.

#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

Liability.

#3 Posted by President_Barackbar (3434 posts) -
Well, I think its probably a legal thing that publishers have to adhere to (it only seems to happen with official things like trailers).
#4 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

Its one of those things that people just have to do in order to avoid legal issues and stuff. Like the ESRB warning (well nowadays they actually enforce it)

Atleast Giantbomb's age restriction thing is defaulted to 20

#5 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Its because of the people that want "safety", and will stick any kind of "protection" on anything they can, even if it won't work in the slightest

#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

make an account, set your age to 18+, problem solved.

#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

they are annoying sometimes. usually those things will be set to january 1st, 2010, i usually just go down to the year to which ever one i feel like stopping at.

#8 Posted by Milkman (16531 posts) -

Giant Bomb does it really well. Just a little thing on the side that defaults to 20. Covers their asses and stands out of the way. 

#9 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

Im pretty sure the mpaa and esrb aren't government bodies so I'm not sure how much legal trouble there would be, but I could be wrong.

#10 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:
" Liability. "
Exactly, which is why every time you go on an airplane, the flight attendants always have to go over the safety precautions time and time again. They're liable for people's safety, unfortunately.
#11 Posted by skadbob (230 posts) -

Hm... I can't remember the last time I saw an age-gate on GB.

#12 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

According to those videos, I'm 99 years old.

#13 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I think they have to make you enter that information I remember gametrailers getting in trouble with the ESRB for not doing so
#14 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

No, having an issue with 3 clicks seems extreme to me... It has to be done to comply with certain laws. Loads of websites do this for age restricted material, sure you can lie, but that isnt legal.

#15 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1867 posts) -

dude, chill out. if it irks you so much, come back when you're 20, maybe it will go away by then.

#16 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Calm down.  Everything will be OK. 

#17 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

I like how GiantBomb does it. Puts you above the required age automatically.

#18 Posted by natetodamax (19171 posts) -
@Suicidal_SNiper said:
" I like how GiantBomb does it. Puts you above the required age automatically. "
Agreed, it's pretty good that it's set to 20 right from the start rather than 0.
#19 Posted by Baillie (4039 posts) -

This has showed how lazy all of you are. What the hell, lol.

#20 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Shadow said:
" According to those videos, I'm 99 years old. "
No kidding. I'm 62.
#21 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Poor you, having to type in all those numbers. Seriously, folks, if you're less than 400 pounds you should be able to type your age in without sweating. Stop whining. 

#22 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Its only annoying if you put your real date. I'm always born on jan 1st some random year.

#23 Posted by reddin (417 posts) -

I would really like to see some stats about the ages people have filled in. My bet is that most of the people who watch those videos are senior citizens.

#24 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

They should just make it easier. If you're logged into your profile, and it states you have a certain birthday, then it should register with whatever videos you're going to watch.

#25 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

I think everybody on giantbomb is 20, for some reason.

#26 Edited by snap (31 posts) -

In Germany it's not even allowed to have 18+ rated videos on your website. You'd have to make sure that only 18yr olds could watch the videos (which is impossible). That's also the reason why Sony can't release most of the game trailers on the PSN. This all only applies to gore/voilent content, as far as I know. However, showing tits and nipples on TV... at 1pm is not problem at all.

#27 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I'm just thankful that the default age is 20. Makes it so I can just click and go.

#28 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

damn that's a good point

oh wait, its not.

#29 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
@reddin said:
" I would really like to see some stats about the ages people have filled in. My bet is that most of the people who watch those videos are senior citizens. "
Everyone is born on January 1
#30 Posted by gabha (354 posts) -
#31 Edited by ShockD (2393 posts) -

It really is annoying. We all know that if a 13 years old kid stumbles upon such video, he'll most likely input a much higher age in order to watch the "interesting" moments. But I guess it's the administrators' duty to ask for age verification.

#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

I always say January 01 1900 just to dis the man! I like it when sites like giantbomb just set the default to 18 so you can just click right through it, or when sites link it to your profile's birthday and just doesn't show it if you are of age.

And yes, it is very fucking stupid.

#33 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" No, having an issue with 3 clicks seems extreme to me... It has to be done to comply with certain laws. Loads of websites do this for age restricted material, sure you can lie, but that isnt legal. "
Bingo was his name-o
#34 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -
@jmrwacko:  My issue with these is that they are on sites where you are registered and you have given your age already.  So a place like Giant Bomb or any other should be able to make it so your account can allow those videos to play automatically or to not show them at all based on your age listed in your account profile.
#35 Posted by fentonalpha (819 posts) -

Yeah it's annoying... but having to watch Drew lick his elbow before every frikking video on GB got pretty grating after a while too.

#36 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

My birthdate, as far as internet websites where I want to watch videos are concerned, is always january 1st, 1901