Consumerist Worst Company in America 2014

• 98 results
expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@expensiveham: You implied and now cited ignorance on their behalf, whether you see it or not the crux of your wording is about a lack of perceived intelligence or understanding on the behalf of a nebulous collective that you're attributing the descriptor 'Americans' to. I did not imply you are racist merely self righteous with a touch of xenophobia, you misappropriated racism in this case. If your defence is to be that I am making things up and asuming then can we also decry your crass generalisation of the majority of Americans as opinion and assumption on your behalf?

I am NOT American, I am NOT affected by the majority of the companies listed in this poll, I am NOT what should be considered as a valid vote when polling American experiences with an American company.

You are not "stating facts" you are giving your opinion on how Americans percieve the world through the way you percieve Americans and using that as some kind of explanation of people's incredulity that a video game company that's made some poor decisions is being weighed against true examples of corporate / capitalist evil. The reason they might be judged unfavorably against such names is because someone who doesn't have any concept of the majority of poll options decided he should wield his ignorance like a weapon and cast a skewed vote in the fight against Sim City having small maps or Dungeon keeper on mobile being kind of crap.

Look at this from an objective point of view; I am Welsh, if there were a poll in my area asking what people wanted a new excess of government funding spent on with the options of better roads, better sports facilities, improved public education or Sheep and then a large collection of people who lived on another continent voted heavily for sheep with the logic of "lol I don't know what the roads, stadiums, schools etc. are like in Wales but I think sheep are adorable!" you can bet I'd be astounded at why people with no clue as to what they're actually saying with their vote decided to chime in.

I never said those votes are valid and i don't think you should vote unless you actually live in America and have had experiences with most of the companies on the list. I don't get why you wrote that comparison about Welsh government funding when i never said anything to imply that people outside of America should vote, i simply stated that they did. Yet again you seem to be drawing conclusions and arguing against things i never actually said because you misunderstood me.

When i was talking about stating facts i was talking about the fact that a lot of non-Americans vote on the poll, that is why i put them in the same sentence.

Still, Americans do have bad geographical skills and a poor sense of the outside world. Not only because of the education system but also because of the fact that Americans don't travel outside of their country nearly as much as Europeans do. Geographical illiteracy is rampant in the US and that bleeds into their attitudes and their perception on the rest of the world. There are hundreds of studies that prove this and anyone who spends a lot of time consuming American media and talking to Americans have surely experienced this. Obviously i am generalizing, would hard not to when you are talking about over 315 million people. There are exceptions to the rule, look at the knowledge Drew has about these kind of things compared to someone like Rorie for example.

Being bad at one thing does not make you stupid. I don't get why you think i am some smug asshole who thinks all Americans are stupid just i am pointing out one problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You guys take this poll more seriously than either the voters or the companies listed.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By hermes

Every time people think "entitlement" is a bad word, I think of this poll... and it becomes an understatement.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By BisonHero

@chrissedoff said:

@hunter5024 said:

What did Seaworld do?

They keep intelligent aquatic animals in terrible conditions until they become psychotic, sometimes resulting in violence against Seaworld employees and they aggressively cover this up. This was all covered in last year's critically acclaimed documentary Blackfish, which is probably why Seaworld wound up getting nominated this year in particular.

The sad part is that Seaworld probably has higher standards than most lesser known aquarium park things with whales and dolphins. They're AZA accredited, which is something, at least. But whales and dolphins seem like they're always going to be miserable in captivity, so I don't know that there's even a "right" way to do what Seaworld does (though obviously covering things up makes you look bad).

On the other hand, if you're looking for an aquarium park thing where the owners aren't even trying to give a shit about animals, look no further than Niagara Falls' MarineLand. What a nightmare that the park is allowed to continue to operate.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raytheon

Raytheon

Raytheon's guided missile system.

Arms sales: $23 billion

Total profit: $1.9 billion

#2 Boeing

Boeing

Arms sales: $31.4 billion

Total profit: $2.9 billion

Employees: 160,500 people

#1 Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin

Arms sales: $35.7 billion

Total profit: $2.9 billion

Employees: 132,000 people

Good job on voting for EA you stupid cunts, these guys make money with weapons that kill innocent kids and women every day .

This is a consumerist poll and none of those companies are consumer-facing and therefore were even eligible for the poll. You realize that, right?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If EA wins, I'll be disappointed; nobody has died as a result of EA's actions.

Monsanto is destroying agriculture for impoverished countries. WalMart is the ideal corrupt mega-corporation you read about in dystopian future fiction novels. SeaWorld may as well change it's name to Red Lobster for how it treats animals.

But oh no... people stupidly pre-ordered Battlefield 4 and couldn't enjoyably play it for a few months. Guess that's the worst company ever.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

It's funny/sad to see people who think that silly polls like this will change anything for anyone on the list. The people at those companies that could make the needed changes will never look at this thing, or even if they did they will laugh at the silly internet polls while balls deep in hookers and up to their eyes in whatever drug of their choice is. The only way these companies will ever change is if people stop buying their products and services. Which will never happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The fact that so many gamers vote for EA mkaes me sad, they should direct their anger at some of the other companies who generally dont give a damn about human rights... EA makes a video game that doesn't work properly and affects the consumer... but at the end of the day that's all it affects and you can avoid such TERRIBLE business practices by not buying the game. In fact I'd argue you get burned by EA so regularly due to your own stupidity.

thefriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The main reason I wouldn't consider EA to be the WORST company. Is because you don't HAVE to buy their games. It's completely optional. But when you do, certainly they're trated PC users like ass.

If you want to talk about real world politics and economy. Of course those responsible for the 2008 crash are the worst mother fuckers in America. Next being the ISPs.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@athadam said:

@mlarrabee said:

My hometown's city council rejected Costco's offer and accepted Walmart's. So instead of a business that attracts other businesses, we're getting a business that shutters other businesses and attracts the worst sort of people.

Basically, there are worse companies but I really hope Walmart "wins."

You mean poor people?

I shop at Grocery Outlet. I am one of the poor people. Walmart shoppers are a completely different animal.

Are you one of the Super Shoppers at Grocery Outlet?

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that so many gamers vote for EA mkaes me sad, they should direct their anger at some of the other companies who generally dont give a damn about human rights... EA makes a video game that doesn't work properly and affects the consumer... but at the end of the day that's all it affects and you can avoid such TERRIBLE business practices by not buying the game. In fact I'd argue you get burned by EA so regularly due to your own stupidity.

EA is pretty much the only company on that list that even acknowledges the existence of this poll. That's why gamers vote for it. You think Monsanto or Comcast give a shit about what the Internet has to say about them? EA is drastically more affected by the Internet's coverage of bad launches, server outages, and DRM/DLC shittiness since the vast majority of their customer base communicates heavily over it.

If you want to direct anger at anyone for the bigger companies on the list destroying lives, then you shouldn't be looking at some Internet poll, you should be petitioning the people that have the power to regulate them and bring them back in line.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

EA winning this each year is pretty embarrassing for 'Murica. Hope it stops.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to pick one tech company, I think Comcast deserves it for all of this throttling bullshit they're doing to their customers.

Otherwise, I'd go for Monsanto or Sea World, because there are more heinous things than digital entertainment in this world right now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#66  Edited By musubi

Just going to go ahead and post this. Everyone hating on Wal-mart needs to get a clue. They are far from the worst company in america.

Loading Video...

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By thatdutchguy
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By yinstarrunner

Oh, I see people are taking this very seriously... for some reason.

EA will probably win because that makes 4chan laugh and most people don't really give a shit about this internet contest.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i was talking about stating facts i was talking about the fact that a lot of non-Americans vote on the poll, that is why i put them in the same sentence.

Still, Americans do have bad geographical skills and a poor sense of the outside world. Not only because of the education system but also because of the fact that Americans don't travel outside of their country nearly as much as Europeans do. Geographical illiteracy is rampant in the US and that bleeds into their attitudes and their perception on the rest of the world. There are hundreds of studies that prove this and anyone who spends a lot of time consuming American media and talking to Americans have surely experienced this. Obviously i am generalizing, would hard not to when you are talking about over 315 million people. There are exceptions to the rule, look at the knowledge Drew has about these kind of things compared to someone like Rorie for example.

Being bad at one thing does not make you stupid. I don't get why you think i am some smug asshole who thinks all Americans are stupid just i am pointing out one problem.

At the point in which you realized you were generalizing is probably where you should have deleted things such as "Americans have bad geographical skills and poor sense of the outside world". Some do, some don't. But there are reasons why that stereotype exists. It's a lot easier for Europeans to travel outside their home country because European countries are much smaller than the United States and the means of travel are more readily available. The only easy countries to travel to for Americans are Mexico and Canada (I've been to both). Anywhere else and you have to take an expensive transcontinental flight. Europeans can go freely from France to UK to Denmark to Germany etc, etc. But none of this has any relevance to this thread. The topic is Worst Company in America, so why these ignorant Americans should consider the opinions of those who live somewhere else and therefore may not be aware of companies like Monsanto or Comcast is frankly beyond me.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By audiosnow

@nightriff said:

@mlarrabee said:

@athadam said:

@mlarrabee said:

My hometown's city council rejected Costco's offer and accepted Walmart's. So instead of a business that attracts other businesses, we're getting a business that shutters other businesses and attracts the worst sort of people.

Basically, there are worse companies but I really hope Walmart "wins."

You mean poor people?

I shop at Grocery Outlet. I am one of the poor people. Walmart shoppers are a completely different animal.

Are you one of the Super Shoppers at Grocery Outlet?

The Superest.

EDIT:

@demoskinos: My problem with Walmart is that it sells poor quality products to people with indiscriminate tastes, and since most people prefer low cost over quality, this forces the tier of product I prefer further away from me. And many of the economic arguments for Walmart in that video are irrelevant for the situation in my hometown, since building a Costco on the land would both provide jobs and substantially lower direct materials costs for other local businesses.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Strife777

I just hope EA doesn't win this year, for once. You can hate them all you want, some of their opposition have actual relevant consequences.

But who cares really. It doesn't have any tangible effect on anything in the end. You think Comcast will change their policies just because they were voted worst company? Fuck no

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Hayt

I'm no business man but I can't help but wonder if EA winning the golden shit hurts its stocks forcing them to bleed more money out of everything they have, resulting in games like Dead Space 3 and Sim City, which cause them to win the golden shit, hurting their stock and forcing them to bleed more money out of...

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: only real reason I can think ea is on this in the first place is because they are rumored to be one of the game companies that are more interested in the numbers then creativity... But I don't think ea is the only video game publisher doing this (as non stop sequels keep coming), who knows maybe they started the trend.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expensiveham: You seem to constantly miss the point I am trying to get across to you which is an attempt at getting you to understand why Americans would be so incredulous at EA being high in the rankings even with outsider voting and how it is not brought about by a lack of sense of the larger world.

I'll not sit here and argue about generalisations of the worldly knowledge of one continent as it matches against another past this point, I've certainly met many more Americans who know where Wales is than Europeans who do so if I were to generalise I'd say it's the other way around and we'd both end up being wrong on a case by case basis.

There's a very easy way not to generalise when talking about 315 million people and that's to not stride into a forum post that in no way asked for or needed the argument we're having and group Americans into one ignorant generalised group, it looks closed minded and ignorant.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA isn't even that bad. They've had some huge screw ups in recent memory, but let's face it, Battlefield launching broken in order to meet a deadline is no where near as bad as a corporation like Wal-Mart coming into a town and destroying small, independent businesses, and essentially ruining some of the most interesting things about that town.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By hatking

It's a little silly that EA wins, but it is funny to see them flail to their own defense when it inevitably happens. "Guys, c'mon we're not that bad. We even put the gays in our video games!" You're pretty bad guys, but you don't inadvertently cause death, so I guess you're not the worst. Congratulations for not actively murdering your employees, EA, there's always next year.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically, putting EA on this list for SimCity and Battlefield 4 is the same as putting Warner Bros on there for Green Lantern and Man of Steel. It's incredibly petty.

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schlorgan said:

Basically, putting EA on this list for SimCity and Battlefield 4 is the same as putting Warner Bros on there for Green Lantern and Man of Steel. It's incredibly petty.

I wouldn't really call it petty. It's an Internet poll, where the truly worst companies don't give a shit at all. The only company on that list that actually pays attention to it is EA, so why wouldn't disgruntled customers use it to their advantage? It's not like they haven't at least earned the spot anyway. Absorbing and subsequently destroying smaller dev studios, constantly releasing shitty broken sequels/reboots with "always online" requirements that don't work for weeks after launch, miserable working conditions, microtransactions being shoved into every game they have, etc. Obviously they're not as bad as Wal-mart, Monsanto, Bank of America, etc. in the grand scheme of things, but like most people have been saying this is the one real opportunity to publicly gauge the customer base's dissatisfaction with EA.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an Internet poll, where the truly worst companies don't give a shit at all.

But... but... yeah, you're right.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchypickles: Yeah, a lot of it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, people were only disappointed by Mass Effect 3 because Mass Effect 2 was so good. People were only disappointed by SimCity because previous SimCity games were really good. They were only mad about Battlefield 4 because of how good Battlefield 3 was. Then look at a company like SEGA. Nothing EA can do can be as bad as how that company has treated the Sonic franchise (or, arguably, how Square has treated Final Fantasy), yet people still get excited about new games from those franchises. EA had more genuinely good games last generation than any other big publisher. Even the practice of micro-transactions and buying then shutting down developers are things that other publishers do more and worse of. None of this makes any sense to me.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to complain about EA winning these things then I realized I'm never going to vote in them so I guess I really don't at the end of the day.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#83  Edited By Hailinel

@schlorgan: EA's shittiness toward studios they buy has gone on for a very long time. It's not a recent phenomenon. Neither is their apparent disdain for consumers and the way it's reflected in games like SimCity, or the microtransaction bonanza that is Plants vs. Zombies 2. Other game companies have done shifty things, but EA is consistently terrible in multiple respects, and they're also big enough that more people recognize when they try to take a dump on the consumer.

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By CrunchyPickles

@schlorgan said:

@crunchypickles: Yeah, a lot of it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, people were only disappointed by Mass Effect 3 because Mass Effect 2 was so good. People were only disappointed by SimCity because previous SimCity games were really good. They were only mad about Battlefield 4 because of how good Battlefield 3 was. Then look at a company like SEGA. Nothing EA can do can be as bad as how that company has treated the Sonic franchise (or, arguably, how Square has treated Final Fantasy), yet people still get excited about new games from those franchises. EA had more genuinely good games last generation than any other big publisher. Even the practice of micro-transactions and buying then shutting down developers are things that other publishers do more and worse of. None of this makes any sense to me.

As far as buying out smaller dev studios goes, I haven't seen any megapublisher blow it as badly as EA has. They buy the companies, shove their own people into management positions there, and drive them into the ground through over-corporatization, retarded deadlines, and enforcing the "games as a service (to be monetized)" approach to game creation. Other publishers can be very bad too, but EA hands down takes the cake.

The whole "people were disappointed in the new games because the old games were good" thing, are you really surprised? If a series has a history of being really good, and they suddenly release the newest one and it's garbage, wouldn't you be at least a little pissed? I also wonder which EA games you are referring to as "genuinely good." In the last year, they've been releasing a lot of lemons. Dead Space 3 was probably the worst in the series due to the full transition to "action game/shooter with some jumps scares in some places". SimCity was a complete disaster for a few months after launch, and it's STILL terrible compared to previous installments even with the "impossible" offline mode being released. But at least they managed to squeeze out that Nissan Leaf DLC pack before tackling the less important problems, like their servers not working and people constantly losing save data. Also Dungeon Keeper, nothing really even needs to be said there.

But no, according to EA everyone who hates them only hates them because they've got LBGT characters in some of their games.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@president_barackbar said:

I'll never understand people who say things like "oh god there goes the internet again, voting for EA instead of Bank of America or Haliburton!" Real talk for a second people, do you think BoA would even ACKNOWLEDGE an internet poll like this? EA, while it may not be the worst company in America, is certainly one of the few on the list that might actually take consumer feedback on their business practices to heart and attempt to make things better. Monsanto is NEVER going to change their practices because some people on the internet said they were a shitty company, they are far too big for anything like that to even register on their radar. Bottom line is that while EA hasn't done a lot to change since winning all the times they have, they would be the most likely to change because of the result.

this deffinitely

I disagree. I think every time EA takes the top spot in this it just gives them more justification to ignore other, legitimate complaints.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I called it and will now close this discussion: they lost in the first round. http://consumerist.com/2014/03/24/eas-worst-company-in-america-reign-comes-to-an-end-with-loss-to-time-warner-cable/

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Where's Whole Foods on this list?

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By expensiveham

@freshbandito:

Starting to remember why i hate posting on this forum. I made my point several posts ago and if you are going to keep crying go ahead i honestly barely care enough to read what you have to say anymore.

Oh and yeah "generalisations of the worldly knowledge of one continent"? You do know that there is more then one country in North America right? I was talking strictly about USA.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expensiveham: Uhh, save me some time here, the hell are you talking about?

lou_chou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't get it... If EA win, it'll just add to their renegade meter, and their dastardly deeds will increase.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

It may seem damning to force EA into winning this every year, but I think it will gradually lose some of its impact and will be easier for EA to just chock up as the internet being angry without any real substance or problems that need addressing. I don't think they have been given any real motivation or reason to care about this award.

That's all it ever was. They beat Bank of America the year that company was unjustifiably foreclosing people out of their homes.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

This award holds no significance whatsoever. It's a sad little thing, for sad little people.

Voting EA as the worst company of America, twice in a row even, is nothing short of sad. You have companies that mishandle your finances. Make you lose thousands of dollars. Maybe even lose your home? You have medical companies conducting in malpractice. Disrupting your health. Or just even the stories I hear about monopoly positions being misused by cable providers.

But no, of course the entertainment company that failed to deliver to your expectations that made you have less fun than you anticipated to have, is the far worse than any of the other ones that actually affect people's lives. Twice.

Ever since that happened, I cannot take this thing seriously. It means nothing.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if I have an amazing killsreak going in BF4 and the server died who am I going to blame?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

EA is far from the worst company.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whole Foods' CEO has made some pretty gross political statements, but what makes them one of the worst companies in America? High prices? lol

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still find this wildly amusing.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@demoskinos: I agree Wal-mart is far from the worst company and in fact is a very beneficial company in many ways. But I do have a large problem with them (and other big box stores). When Wal-mart has a net income of about 16 billion dollars (per year) they should give there store employees a higher wage instead of giving massive wages and bonuses to the executives. Other then that Wal-mart is no more evil then any other store.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@darkstorn said:

@horseman6 said:

Whole Foods' CEO has made some pretty gross political statements, but what makes them one of the worst companies in America? High prices? lol

It's a company that prey's on peoples misplaced fears of non-organic food (organic food isn't even really organic) and GMO's.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Monsanto has to "win" this, right? I mean, seriously...I'm looking at every other company, and aside from the options of Facebook (because of the recent Oculus hoopla) and Walmart (because everyone loves to hate those guys), Monsanto is the only honest option. They are evil beyond evil.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ChrisHarris

I don't get why people assume a company has to do the most damage to society to be on this list. It's all relative to the industry in which the company operates. Otherwise, it's just biased toward industries in which you have the most potential to fuck up the world. It would just be 100% banking, oil, etc. every year.

The worst person isn't necessarily the person who does the most damage. There might be a much worse person who just happens to be in a position where they couldn't do as much damage even if they tried. You could be the Hitler of making video games and you would still have to try really fucking hard to out-damage even a casually shitty business in a vital and/or dangerous market.