#1 Posted by Hizang (9360 posts) -

#2 Edited by Hizang (9360 posts) -

What do you have with your phone?

MOD - Sorry wrong forum.

#3 Edited by crusader8463 (14744 posts) -

C. I don't own a phone.

If I did have one it would probably be pay as I go as I would probably rarely use it.

Edit: Oh shit, I just remembered I do own a phone. Due to working far off I bought the cheapest dumb phone they had and got a $10 time card on it to keep in my glove compartment in case I got into an accident during the winter months. Forgot I had the thing. So I guess B.

#4 Posted by Hizang (9360 posts) -

Bought my 3GS at launch with PAYG, fuck contracts I went in there and just asked to buy it, he looked at me so weird like what!?

#5 Posted by Canteu (2861 posts) -

Pay as you go.

I use my phone so little a contract would never be worth it for me.

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3235 posts) -

@Hizang: Is it true that in England most people prefer Pay As You Go? I heard that somewhere. Also, yeah, i prefer Pay As You Go, but my current cellphone is Contract...

#7 Edited by OtakuGamer (1359 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Pay as you go.

I use my phone so little a contract would never be worth it for me.

This. Unless you’re mad crazy about phones, contacts are useless.

#8 Posted by Napalm (9230 posts) -

Contracts just essentially state that you're locked in for a certain amount of time, and it allows them to sell you bundled packages with the hope you go over in some capacity so they can slam you with charges, or hope you want to disconnect early and fork out four-hundred dollars. You might end up spending more with Pay-As-You-Go, unless you barely touch your phone.

It also depends on what you need/want, as well. Not all contracts are the exact same, but what I stated above the general drift of them all.

#9 Posted by Hizang (9360 posts) -
@MikeGosot I don't think so, but I like it cause it's just less hassle.
#10 Posted by Vexxan (4624 posts) -

Currently on contract, saves me a lot of money I believe.

#11 Posted by Hizang (9360 posts) -

@Vexxan: How much does internet cost on contract, is it included?

For my PASY if I top up at least £10 a month I get free unlimited internet for a month, also the first 12 months are free.

#12 Posted by Vexxan (4624 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Vexxan: How much does internet cost on contract, is it included?

For my PASY if I top up at least £10 a month I get free unlimited internet for a month, also the first 12 months are free.

Paying about ~£12 a month for unlimited calling/texting and 1GB of data(which I rarely use up). This is only for the contract, the phone itself has already been paid for.

#13 Posted by jetsetwillie (882 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Bought my 3GS at launch with PAYG, fuck contracts I went in there and just asked to buy it, he looked at me so weird like what!?

i did the same with my 3GS

but bought it direct of the apple store. its on O2 and i use their simplicity tariff. £15 a month and i get 100 mins of calls and unlimited texts and data.

hope to buy a iphone 4 either this month or next and do the same

#14 Posted by Ramone (3065 posts) -

Pay as you go as it means you pay for exactly how much you use.

#15 Posted by Furyjoell (259 posts) -

I'm in the UK andI'm on a contract mainly for the free phone, but also because I do use my phone quite alot.

#16 Edited by Sooty (8195 posts) -
@Vexxan said:

Currently on contract, saves me a lot of money I believe.

Yep this. I also like that on contract I always have the ability to call/text people, that peace of mind alone is worth the money. 

Plus I'd end up having to pay for monthly for data even without a contract and I don't see the point in a smartphone without a data plan, so really there's no logical reason for me to go PAYG.

Edit: Also contracts usually work out cheaper than buying the phone separately and using PAYG. Of course, this depends on your usage, if you top up a LOT then you'll spend more in the long run - ~18-24months is average contract time, if you top up twice every month then you're not saving much, if anything, + you had to pay for the phone.

I personally believe contracts offer far better value for money, especially if you want to get the brand new shiniest phones. (which cost a bomb off-contract)
#17 Posted by JustKamToo (803 posts) -

If you use it a lot I’d go for a contract, mostly for txt? Then pay as you go. As for me, my phone is free.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (16110 posts) -

Contract. I use my phone for damn near everything. Its a very valuable tool.

#19 Posted by Swoxx (3015 posts) -

Contract all da way

#20 Posted by ckeats (496 posts) -

I'm never in a million years going without a phone, so contracts are no big deal at all. My phone is my most valued item, as it's a mobile internet machine, I have with me at all times, and I never make a phone call. Ever.

Also, I used to sell phones so at one point I was carrying 2, just for kicks.

#21 Posted by Wholemeal (263 posts) -

If you live in Australia there's a company (TPG) here that sells $17 a month deals. $500 worth of calls and 1.5GB of data. No Contract. They're with Optus in case you want to check their coverage. Some contracts are good. Some are bad. I do recommend you buy your phone out right though.

#22 Edited by babblinmule (1280 posts) -

I'm on one of those dealies where as long as I top up £10 per month, I get 300 free texts, 2GB data and 500 minutes per month. Downside is that since I cant usually get through that many texts per month, I never use the £10, so I'm sitting on something like £70 worth of credit that I'm never going to use!

#23 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2760 posts) -

No option for having a regular plan without a contract? I pay the full $600-$750 for my phones and then stay off-contract.

#24 Posted by Yummylee (23178 posts) -

''Mate, those contracts are a complete rip-off.''

#25 Posted by TobbRobb (4983 posts) -

Ibarely use my phone so a contract isn't worth it, and even if it would have turned out cheaper, I still wouldn't get it. I greatly dislike being bound to something. I just want to buy the damn phone, no strings attached.

#26 Posted by JCTango (1484 posts) -

I don't even own a mobile phone, but if I were to get one, I'd get a pay-as-you-go type deal, mostly because I'd hardly use it.

#27 Posted by mrcraggle (2035 posts) -

Depends on your needs. I use data fairly often and no PAYG contract really offers decent data and with PAYG you end up paying out right for a phone which can be cheaper in the long run if you want the latest and greatest but it's a lot to put down in one go. Contracts can also work against you if you don't pay attention to what's in your contract. My sister who is an idiot didn't pay attention to her minutes and ended up paying over £400 over 3 months. If she had stuck within her contracted minutes, it would've been £30. I'd also like to note, she has done this around 3 times.

#28 Posted by Hizang (9360 posts) -

I just use my phone for music, podcasts, video, Internet and games. I too my phone up twice a year.

#29 Posted by Pkshields (826 posts) -

Pay as you go. Got a decent phone, but I mostly use it for data, with some texts and the odd phonecall. PAYG means I pay less, so I stick with that.

#30 Posted by zyn (2765 posts) -

Pay as you go.

#31 Posted by RockAction (375 posts) -

just bought my first contract phone, i still prefer pay as you go, hate being tied to something and you know how much you've spent

#32 Posted by RE_Player1 (7940 posts) -

I do pay as I go. I only use my phone for emergencies so all I do is pick up a $100 prepaid card and that lasts me a year. I have some crappy Samsung phone that does the job, sturdy and works when needed. I've realized with so many free messaging clients out there I have no use for a traditional phone contract.

#33 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1175 posts) -

PAYG because I'm not very talkative.

#34 Posted by 9cupsoftea (676 posts) -

I use pay as you go as I travel often. I hate contracts, not only with phone bills, but with internet and tv subscriptions too. What about us nomads?

Also, it amazes me that in north america you guys have to pay to receive calls and texts. In Europe only the caller pays.

#35 Posted by Nasharoo (63 posts) -

For me switching to contract from PAYG was a no brainer. I definitely spend less over the course of a contract that I do buying the phone outright then having to top up. My last contract worked out at £10 a month for 18 months with a free HTC Wildfire. The key is to shop around and if you are switching from PAYG then you should use one of the comparison sites like Dialaphone or Omio.who do provide some brilliant bargains. But obviously it depends on your usage.

#36 Posted by Bruce (6238 posts) -

@Hizang:

Pay as you Go is usually terrible, because they don't offer the same phones they would under contract. Places like MetroPCS, Boost Mobile, and Virgin are just the shits.

#37 Posted by Hot_Karl (3321 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Contracts just essentially state that you're locked in for a certain amount of time, and it allows them to sell you bundled packages with the hope you go over in some capacity so they can slam you with charges, or hope you want to disconnect early and fork out four-hundred dollars. You might end up spending more with Pay-As-You-Go, unless you barely touch your phone.

It also depends on what you need/want, as well. Not all contracts are the exact same, but what I stated above the general drift of them all.

Pretty much this. Pay as you go are for peeps who only need a phone for a certain time (I had a pay as you go phone for a month when I was studying in England) or who really only use their phone for texting (so 16 year olds). Otherwise, contract is probably the way to go, if you use your phone consistently.

#38 Posted by eugenesaxe (201 posts) -

Pay as I go. I can make $100 last for a year.

#39 Posted by MrPilkington (983 posts) -

When it comes to phones, I am OK with contracts; but IPads and such devices that support 3G, I want the "Pay-As-You-Go".

#40 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3062 posts) -

metro pcs I don't care about fancy data plans etc.

#41 Posted by Subject2Change (2971 posts) -

Pay as you go in the states typically is seen as something for the lower class, immigrants or drug dealers.

#42 Posted by CookieMonster (2478 posts) -

Contract. I send so many texts.

#43 Posted by Alexander (1758 posts) -

30 Day Rolling contract. Which means you're tied in for a month at a time.

£15 a month / 600 mins / 3000 texts / 1GB data.

I'll never go for the free phone and contract option again. Fortunately in the UK we don't have to deal with all this CDMA bullshit, we're free to change network (GSM) and don't have to deal with carrier exclusive models.

#44 Posted by SinGulaR (2445 posts) -

Pay as you go for both. Cellular data and calling.