Controllers on PC next gen

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alexandru

I assume Microsoft will make the next Xbox controller work with PC games just like the current one. But I wonder, will we be at a point early on where developers will let us choose between the two, or will they just drop support for the current one completely?

I know we will all just buy the new one so it isn't a big deal, but I find it funny to imagine checking a README for a game and say

Peripherals: xbox 360 or Xbox 720(next box?) controller supported.

PS: Also if Microsoft redesignes the graphic on the buttons as they did with Xbox to Xbox 360 I wonder if a PC game will have both graphics depending on what controller we use.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By NTM

Hm, that's interesting. I have never even thought about this. Well, I hope the next console (both Microsoft and Sony's) have the game pads and not some gimmicky motion sensor crap.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Can't see the next Xbox having a different controller, just more refined like a extra button next to R1 and L1 or something.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I'd bet the next gen controllers are gonna be pretty similar if not the same as the current ones. The way they're set up now seems pretty ideal. Playstation made it work over multiple gens aside from the brain fart decision to remove rumble.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By CoinMatze

I want a clickable wheel where the guide button is.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Idk if they need to make a new controller. The 360 controller is pretty much perfect.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Can't see the next Xbox having a different controller, just more refined like a extra button next to R1 and L1 or something.

Yea, probably. Game controllers have been kind of standardized since the PS1 era, so I doubt any major changes are coming any time soon.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'd see microsoft maybe going towards something sony has with their ps3 controllers, rechargeable battery controllers with blu-tooth connectivity. No way microsoft wouldn't make a new controller and take our additional 50 bucks for it.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ChaosDent

With the exception of various degrees of pressure sensitivity, motion control and analog triggers, the basic input layout used by Sony and then Microsoft hasn't changed since the Dual Shock. Even Nintendo has finally conceded to this layout with the Wii U tablet and pro controller. No matter what else Microsoft and Sony ship with their new systems (Kinect 2, PS Eye 3/Move 2 or something else), they will certainly also come with a standard controller that is a functional equivalent to the Dual Shock.

That said, the question is will Microsoft support the PC with this new controller? Ideally they'd allow the controllers to charge their internal batteries (which they absolutely should have!) over a micro USB port and support the same API as the 360 controller when it is plugged into a computer. Given their history of barely-functional and aborted Windows gaming initiatives I think that's a little less likely though.

Personally, I'm fine as long as games continue to support the one wired 360 controller I have, though I would like to have one of the ones with the Nintendo style D-pad. Too bad that would require a discontinued wireless dongle.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By inkerman

Considering I just bought a controller for my pc, I hope they maintain compatibility. I doubt the controllers will change much.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By colourful_hippie

That will be interesting to find out for sure.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus

Hopefully I can just keep using my DualShock 3s... My favorite controller.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By M_Shini

The controllrs they make for the the next gen should be almost identical which would probably make them very easy to include support since it will be basically the same as the current pc 360 pads to the point where they will probably show up as the being the same thing.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By alternate

MS make a branded PC only controller. It is just an xbox wired one in new packaging but the precedent for a life span is set.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By veektarius

I don't understand the concept of 'dropping support' for a controller. Even if we were to assume that the next Xbox controller is going to be completely different from the current one (which it won't, but just for the sake of argument) how would they stop supporting current gamepads? The USB port isn't going away, so your old controller will still transmit data, the buttons still provide valid inputs - it's the same as any gamepad, and Microsoft wouldn't seem to have any say in it. The only thing they could stop supporting is having accurate button prompts. For example, instead of telling you to hammer 'B' it could tell you to hammer 'SHIFT' and you need to know which button that is on your gamepad.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By TyCobb

@Video_Game_King said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Yea, probably. Game controllers have been kind of standardized since the PS1 era, so I doubt any major changes are coming any time soon.

I wish Nintendo knew that.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Veektarius said:

I don't understand the concept of 'dropping support' for a controller. Even if we were to assume that the next Xbox controller is going to be completely different from the current one (which it won't, but just for the sake of argument) how would they stop supporting current gamepads? The USB port isn't going away, so your old controller will still transmit data, the buttons still provide valid inputs - it's the same as any gamepad, and Microsoft wouldn't seem to have any say in it. The only thing they could stop supporting is having accurate button prompts. For example, instead of telling you to hammer 'B' it could tell you to hammer 'SHIFT' and you need to know which button that is on your gamepad.

What do you do in the case of a console port to PC? Say the next XBOX controller has two more buttons. Your regular XBOX controller won't be able to accommodate for that.