Controversial Youtube video (Read OP)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By laflux

So I came across this video which has been circulating the internet recently, and causing some controversy. My reaction, as someone who knows people who have been sexually assualted, was negativity, as I thought it trivialized a very serious crime.

I then read up on the views of another, who said that the video wasn't calling out seeing domestic violence, slut shaming etc as rape per se, but as rather enviromental factors which lead to a society where men are less accountable for performing sexual violence against females. Considering that this was made primarily for an Indian audience, it makes more sense to them, then it would to a western audience, where such enviromental factors are mitigated.

To be honest, I still think the video sucks, but upon hearing that viewpoint, I did feel it opened up some disccussion. So I ask, what do you think?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There are far better ways of communicating how a society is generally passively aggressive and fueled by institutionalized thought that's damaging to folks everyday.

Still, it's pointless to get upset at the tact of a YouTube video.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

This is an important issue, and I respect you are having comments on the video instead of just posting it as youtube spam, but (off-topic forum or not) I don't think a video game forum is the place to discuss this issue.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@laflux: Change your thread title before a mod does it for you.

It's exceptionally click-baity and completely undermines any possible serious conversation you want to have.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ya got me
also that is some cheery music for the subject matter. couldn't they have played some moby or iron and wine? you know, weepy sad shit?

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZolRoyce

Given the amount of topics that pop up on GB having to do with a sad or depressed duder I thought the title was a cry for help for a second.

Anyways, as for the actual video, it was fine I suppose, I don't know Indian culture outside of whatever news feeds to me, but the message didn't seem abnormal or as if it wouldn't apply to other countries. And I've heard/read some pretty nasty stories about some horrific rape cases (and how family/police/government) treats the victim afterwards in India so maybe the message is much more poignant there. Though it's not as though victim shaming doesn't happen everywhere else as well which is disgusting of course.

I don't really know, the message of the video didn't slap me in the face and wake me up.
But it didn't offend me to my core either, it was fine, if it makes even one person think about their actions and the impact they can have long term in a society then that's good, I just doubt it will.

Seems somewhat silly to try to get a thought that could use much debate/conversation across in a 1 minute video. People really only like to see the surface of something without scratching it to find the deeper meaning so I think this video will be lost on a lot of people in that she isn't actually saying those circumstances are rape but help lead to a culture that accepts it more, and how even your own family can lose themselves in that culture even if they are otherwise good people.

Plus there is a lot of hatred right now towards feminism and feminist ideas soooooooo I just don't see this video doing much.
A for effort?

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By citizencoffeecake

@laflux: Change your thread title before a mod does it for you.

It's exceptionally click-baity and completely undermines any possible serious conversation you want to have.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Giant Bomb is most definitely not the sort of place for this conversation. Locking this down, and editing the thread title.