#1 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

To be fair:
The incident occurred after Richardson allegedly almost caused a traffic accident. Having served time in the past for drug-related charges, a sniffer dog was brought to the scene and indicated the presence of drugs in the BMW's trunk. Unable to find any drugs during an on-site search, the local cops impounded the vehicle and enlisted the aid of a Federal drug task force to complete a comprehensive search of the vehicle.

But still, do you think the police should be responsible for damages in such cases? There's also this story  of the FBI taking a recovered stolen Ferrari F50 for a joyride and wrecking it, which includes the following line: 

Judge Avern Cohn said in his recent decision that the crash of the 1995 F50 sports car was "certainly unfortunate," but cited a law making the government immune to lawsuits when property is in custody of law enforcement.

So, basically, your shit can be taken for any reason (or none at all) and they can do as they please, and there isn't shit you can do about it.

Still think you live in a free society?

There's some shit. Let's bust it up! 
#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

The idiot cops thought they smelled pot, the dog showed their was pot. But their wasn't. Big mistake on the PD and they should pay for damages.

The car story is too vague, has to be more than it.

#3 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

Ron Paul 2012.

#4 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Dany said:

The idiot cops thought they smelled pot, the dog showed their was pot. But their wasn't. Big mistake on the PD and they should pay for damages.

It's the judges citation of the "Oh the fuck well" law that's relevant there. I spent a minute trying to find the originating story but decided it was irrelevant anyway.
#5 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. That's why I decided to study criminology.

#6 Edited by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Well, at least they weren't the evidence-planting type.

#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

wow that sucks for him. that sucks for the person with the ferrari. 

i think the law should put them in responsibility of paying for the damages of the car.

#8 Posted by Herocide (441 posts) -

@iam3green said:

wow that sucks for him. that sucks for the person with the ferrari. i think the law should put them in responsibility of paying for the damages of the car.

Yeah, I was pretty disgusted by that one.

#9 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Haha the title of this thread immediately ringed "Army destroys nation looking for weaponry that isn't there" in my head, that was crazy xD

#10 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Well the dog did sniff it out....  

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Fight da power

#12 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Haha the title of this thread immediately ringed "Army destroys nation looking for weaponry that isn't there" in my head, that was crazy xD

0.o holy shit.

#13 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

It's fucked up but I'll just say this: if you can afford a Ferrari, you're gonna be okay...

#14 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Doesn't someone's insurance cover shit like this? Yeah, yeah, boo hoo, on a convicted Ex drug dealer, honestly we got bigger problems to care about and while fighting the man is always cool, you just gotta pick your battles. 

#15 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I met someone, a friend of a friend, a few years ago that was randomly stopped by police late at night for no real reason. They got him out of his car and proceeded to tear his Lexus apart looking for drugs. They found nothing. One of the cops picked up a bag from the back seat that was full of some random stuff and pointed at the bottom of the bag saying, "looks like we found some marijuana in here". When the guy tried to argue, the cop almost flipped out telling him that "he'd been a cop for 15 years and he knew what drugs looked like".

The cops then noticed that the guy had some stuff in the car from the gym he worked at. They asked him about it and he told him he was a trainer there. They then said that he must know something about some steroid use. They then wanted him to start turning in steroid users.

They took down all his info but gave him a card with a number to call. They told him if he didn't start informing for them that he was basically fucked. Last I heard the guy was so freaked out he moved out of town not long after.

Some sheep love to make excuses for cops when they do nasty shit to ex-cons, but if they'll do it to one guy, they'll do it to anyone. All Americans should have the same rights, even the scum bags.

I myself have had cops try to pin a major traffic ticket on me that I didn't do. I had to go to court and fight it, but I did win. Fuck those power-mad ego-maniacs.

#16 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

My thoughts too. But don't worry. They had God on their side.

#17 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

@Rudyftw said:

Ron Paul 2012.

#18 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Just another reason to hate cops. If they tore my Lexus up I would for sure pony up the dough to get a good lawyer and take them to court.

#19 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@Rudyftw said:

Ron Paul 2012.

Don't tell us, tell your parents. They only know about that chick with the plastic face and that black dude.

#20 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

@FunExplosions said:

@ThePickle said:

@Rudyftw said:

Ron Paul 2012.

Don't tell us, tell your parents. They only know about that chick with the plastic face and that black dude.

What the flying fuck are you talking about?

#21 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

@Rudyftw said:

@FunExplosions said:

@ThePickle said:

@Rudyftw said:

Ron Paul 2012.

What the flying fuck are you talking about?

I assume Obama and Bachmann.

#22 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Police. Always there when you don't need them and never there when you do. But when they are there when you need them, they're a bunch of complete fuck-wits with barely enough brain cells to rub together between them.

#23 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Fuck the Police!!!

#24 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

Its fuckin sad when cops screw up there are always reports and articles where internet retards gather and point and laugh and say "fuck da police" because the cant smoke their fucking dope and make this current generation of pseudo-adults even dumber.

What about the reports of officers that save a woman from an abusive domestic partner, finding shelter for an animal, charging unprotected into a house on fire before the fire department arrives on scene to pull out Grandma? You never see those stories. I can't stand people that hate cops for no goddamn reason. So what you got pulled over and they gave you a ticket. Stop speeding. (Not relevant to the conversation I know but from what I know, thats generally the case) But as soon as these same cry babies need them, they cant get there fast enough.

#25 Posted by dudeglove (7859 posts) -

Gawker Media are full of shit. Stop giving them hits for their sensationalist bollocks already, people.

#26 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -
@PulledaBrad you do realize that it's their job?
#27 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Imma be a cop when i grow up! In all seriousness though, he was already busted on drug charges and the dog sniffed some dope...and now the internet and the media will make him out to be the victim, far as I'm concerned, fuck him.

#28 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

So what is the point of this? Are you telling us that we are not truly free, and using two vague cases to prove that point?

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@DeF said:

It's fucked up but I'll just say this: if you can afford a Ferrari, you're gonna be okay...

and if the Ferrari is being paid for monthly? Yeah...

Still a silly argument though, I can afford a high end PC, if somebody breaks it I won't let it drop just because I can replace it within a month.

#30 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@McGhee said:

I met someone, a friend of a friend, a few years ago that was randomly stopped by police late at night for no real reason. They got him out of his car and proceeded to tear his Lexus apart looking for drugs. They found nothing. One of the cops picked up a bag from the back seat that was full of some random stuff and pointed at the bottom of the bag saying, "looks like we found some marijuana in here". When the guy tried to argue, the cop almost flipped out telling him that "he'd been a cop for 15 years and he knew what drugs looked like".

The cops then noticed that the guy had some stuff in the car from the gym he worked at. They asked him about it and he told him he was a trainer there. They then said that he must know something about some steroid use. They then wanted him to start turning in steroid users.

They took down all his info but gave him a card with a number to call. They told him if he didn't start informing for them that he was basically fucked. Last I heard the guy was so freaked out he moved out of town not long after.

Some sheep love to make excuses for cops when they do nasty shit to ex-cons, but if they'll do it to one guy, they'll do it to anyone. All Americans should have the same rights, even the scum bags.

I myself have had cops try to pin a major traffic ticket on me that I didn't do. I had to go to court and fight it, but I did win. Fuck those power-mad ego-maniacs.

Amen
#31 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

I just think people who complain about all forms of police should try living in a country ran by organized crime. People who call the American government dictatorial have no idea of what it means to suffer under a real dictator.

#32 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

If he was on probation from his past arrest, then he forfeited those rights until he is out of probation.

#33 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

If the dog smelled something, I'm inclined to trust that there may have been drugs at one point or another. Even if he is innocent the fact he has been caught on drug-related charges before does not help his case. Nor does the fact his BMW looks like the stereotypical drug dealer's car. Sure, it's a stereotype but at the same time it amused me for a few seconds. If he is innocent then he deserves compensation, but from his past history it's going to be hard to argue.

#34 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dany said:

It's the judges citation of the "Oh the fuck well" law that's relevant there. I spent a minute trying to find the originating story but decided it was irrelevant anyway.

thats why you fail to understand law. Its not the judges place to make stuff up. he has to do what the law tells him. And as for taking your "shit" for no reason, thats not true, they have to have "reasonable cause" the dogs signaling where the reasonable cause.

#35 Posted by _Horde (839 posts) -

Anyone driving BMW deserves to have it destroyed!

#36 Posted by mlarrabee (2962 posts) -

The city should certainly pay for any damage to the BMW. To do otherwise in inexcusable.

I find most people's opinions about the police to be outrageous. They hear five stories a year about the department doing something incredibly stupid, and so discount the hundreds of thousands of cases in which they performed well. The vast majority of solved murder cases are solved by the police, but I suppose if the police were disbanded, all of the "screw the pigs, man" kids would be just like the Hardy boys. A lesser majority of thefts and burglaries are solved, but I guess the kids would grab their magnifying glasses and talcum powder and have all of those cases sewn up in no time.

#37 Posted by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

I cannot believe someone hasn't posted this yet.

#38 Posted by OppressiveStink (357 posts) -

Here's the thing, if we get rid of cops, who's going to enforce the rules of society on the few who decide to break it? Anarchists are funny because what anarchy really boils down to is "I'm the biggest, so I win and fuck everybody else!"

Kinda sounds like Libertarians/Objectivists.

#39 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@PulledaBrad said:

I can't stand people that hate cops for no goddamn reason.

You're adorable.

I think everyone understands that it's the bad apples that always get the publicity. The problem with police departments is that the good cops always seem to cover up for the bad ones. They stick together because that what's you do for people who watch your back during firefights. It's good for camaraderie, but bad from the perspective of the victims of police abuse.

@mlarrabee said:

The vast majority of solved murder cases are solved by the police

As opposed to who, Batman?

#40 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@OppressiveStink said:

Here's the thing, if we get rid of cops, who's going to enforce the rules of society on the few who decide to break it? Anarchists are funny because what anarchy really boils down to is "I'm the biggest, so I win and fuck everybody else!"

Kinda sounds like Libertarians/Objectivists.

People aren't (generally) against the idea of police departments. They just have a problem with the idiots who actually get accepted into them. No one wants to live in a society without armed protection.

I think we just want to be able to trust the people with the guns.

#41 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

I don't like police misconduct, but I am happy a BMW was destroyed.

#42 Posted by LiquidPrince (15950 posts) -

Of course they should pay for damages.

#43 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dany said:

thats why you fail to understand law. Its not the judges place to make stuff up. he has to do what the law tells him. And as for taking your "shit" for no reason, thats not true, they have to have "reasonable cause" the dogs signaling where the reasonable cause.

And what would be reasonable cause to take  a recovered Ferrari for a joy ride, wreck it, and then refuse to pay?
#44 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dany said:

And what would be reasonable cause to take a recovered Ferrari for a joy ride, wreck it, and then refuse to pay?

There is no source in that article, no whiteness, no pictures, nothing. they could have been transporting it for all I know. You cant judge every one based on a few people, You seem to scawer the internet looking for news articles about how horrible police are. But have you ever looked up a single article about how good police can be?

#45 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dany said:

And what would be reasonable cause to take a recovered Ferrari for a joy ride, wreck it, and then refuse to pay?

There is no source in that article, no whiteness, no pictures, nothing. they could have been transporting it for all I know. You cant judge every one based on a few people, You seem to scawer the internet looking for news articles about how horrible police are. But have you ever looked up a single article about how good police can be?

... in an email that was released to the insurance company, Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Hamilton Thompson said he was invited for a "short ride" before the Ferrari was to be moved from an impound garage.
#46 Edited by MikkaQ (10293 posts) -

I mean... yes it's wrong, the government REALLY shouldn't do that, and REALLY should be punished for it but really only trashy assholes own a BMW these days. That mark has lost all it's meaning with me after I saw my 900th braindead 17-year old persian driving their mother's 3-series down my neighborhood at breakneck speeds while blasting the cheapest, shittiest techno I've ever heard. It really wouldn't bother me so much if they actually knew the car had a brake pedal, but alas I come *this* close to death with every new day I walk out my door.

As Top Gear has stated, it's a car for cocks.

#47 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Dany said:

... in an email that was released to the insurance company, Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Hamilton Thompson said he was invited for a "short ride" before the Ferrari was to be moved from an impound garage.

It isnt right, and what he did was wrong I agree, but again, you seem to go looking for these stories, finding only the worst ones. and again i pose to you have you ever once looked for any articles on good cops?

#48 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

It isnt right, and what he did was wrong I agree, but again, you seem to go looking for these stories, finding only the worst ones. and again i pose to you have you ever once looked for any articles on good cops?

From both my personal experience, and from what can readily be ascertained from such news stories, even the good cops will cover for the bad ones. And that's just as bad as being a bad cop.
#49 Edited by mlarrabee (2962 posts) -

@Meowshi: There are the occasional murders solved by private investigation teams, or security or military forces; usually these involve expensive clients wishing to maintain public appearance, or locations devoid of standard public protection services.

And Batman, too.