Could The HDTV Gods Help Me Out

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm happy to say I know fuck all about hardware and never have. Video game consoles, PC specs and mods, televisions, etc. I'm probably no more informed than your Auntie & Uncle who haven't bought any new technology since the mid-80's.

The point is my new TV arrived this week and I'd like to start by saying I'm super happy with it. Nice big, bright picture, looks great. Now the point is, I want to get the absolute best out of my TV and mainly the point of it's purchase: the PS3. I bought a HDMI cable off ebay from a well respected cable store on the site; I was fuelled by the fact that I'd read countless times that expensive cables aren't necessarily worth the money, HDMI either works or doesn't work and so I bought a 1 metre HDMI cable for something like £4-£5.

Plugged it in, PS3 detected it, put me into 180p and it all worked. Looked great. I had a faff around with the settings (found "Dynamic" to be way too over saturated) and picked up the "Cinema" preset which gave me a softer image and made Uncharted look glorious. After having it for a week I've subsequently tweaked brightness and colour settings until I have them at a setting I thought suited my games and personal tastes the best.

The thing is I've never noticed jaggies like I'm experiencing right now before. Perhaps coming from a 15" to a 22" highlights the problem but I really thought there was something wrong. Not only that the likes of Prince Of Persia had a bit of a washed out, grainy look to them.

So earlier I decided to change my settings to 720p (and not 1080p like the auto detect suggested). I instantly thought the menu's looked a bit washed out but no other real change. I loaded up Fallout 3 and noticed a few less jaggies but Prince Of Persia looked a little washed out still, however it seemed to run a little smoother in the quick area I jumped around in.

Now put it down to paranoia or whatever but I'm just not sure what I'm looking for anymore. I need help with the optimum setup from someone who actually has theory in this thing.

My TV is a Samsung Syncmaster T220HD. According to the official website it's max resolution is 1680 x 1050.

Does anyone know what kind of settings I should setup on the PS3 and the TV in order to ensure I'm getting the best. Like I've said as someone who knows fuck all I'm really happy with the picture but am constantly wondering if I can get a bit more out of it.

I have Super White, Cross Color Reduction and Full Color Range turned on in the PS3 display settings.

Thanks in advance.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

1680x1050 isn't 1080P even though your PS3 thinks it is. It's outputting 1920x1080 and then scaling to 1680x1050, hence the jaggies.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Just fiddle around with the settings until it looks the best to you.  I don't think anyone that isn't actually looking at your screen can tell you what's going to look best, in this case.  

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
MB said:
"Just fiddle around with the settings until it looks the best to you.  I don't think anyone that isn't actually looking at your screen can tell you what's going to look best, in this case.  "
I know I appreciate that and that's why I've held off for so long but because I don't exactly know the theory I'm not sure when I'm doing right and wrong.

LiquidPrince said:
"1680x1050 isn't 1080P even though your PS3 thinks it is. It's outputting 1920x1080 and then scaling to 1680x1050, hence the jaggies."
That kinda makes sense. It did look slightly better in the 720p; any reason other than personal paranoia that things like my friends list would look a little blurrier after the change?
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

Do you have a Star Wars or Pixar DVD around the house?  Try the THX Calibration tools.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
MB said:
"Do you have a Star Wars or Pixar DVD around the house?  Try the THX Calibration tools."
I didn't Googled that and found a couple of articles around the Internet designed to help improving picture:

Here
&
Here

Used Sin City as a reference and got the blacks and picture looking really good. It's actually made the XMB look worse but I dropped into Fallout 3 and it made the blacks and colours stand out much more.

I dunno why the XMB looks so grainy but... blah Fallout 3 looks 1,000 times better now.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

what type of tv do you have? as well what is your model number?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

For a lot of games jaggies are just something that you notice when put into HD.  PGR3 is the perfect example of this (3, not 4). 

But besides that ther's probably some dvd programs to try.