• 87 results
Posted by HatKing (6200 posts) 11 months, 27 days ago

Poll: Could you date somebody who has the same name as your mother or father? (209 votes)

Yes, because I have deep seeded parental issues. 31%
No, because I have deep seeded parental issues. 27%
I actually already am, because I have deep seeded parental issues. 1%
I am Adam, the first man. 42%

I don't know why this question has been floating around my head recently. But I have been pondering if I could do it. I really don't think I could. Which seems like a really shitty reason to not date somebody.

#1 Posted by HatKing (6200 posts) -

Also, I am an idiot and do realize it should be deep seated. Fuck me.

#2 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (307 posts) -

No because that would just be too weird.

#3 Edited by mosespippy (4587 posts) -

This is the closest we've had to a Hizang topic in years.

#4 Posted by Sushi0 (12 posts) -

Whatever happened to that guy?

#5 Edited by mlarrabee (3096 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I was gonna say.

Whatever happened to him, anyway...? I miss that Flower Urn avatar.

EDIT: @sushi0: Beat me by six seconds. Now my post is completely irrelevant.

#6 Posted by believer258 (12310 posts) -

Hizang got banned.

Also I don't know. I'd have to be in that position to find out.

#7 Posted by mosespippy (4587 posts) -

@sushi0: @mlarrabee: When the site transitioned from the old tech to the new tech there was a 3 day period of posts that wouldn't be saved. Some stuff he posted then got him banned.

#8 Posted by Ezekiel (585 posts) -

Yes. It's not like I call her by her name. It would be funny, actually. But that would never happen. Her first name consists of two.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

On the first date? You move fast.

#10 Posted by mercutio123 (473 posts) -

@sushi0: @mlarrabee: When the site transitioned from the old tech to the new tech there was a 3 day period of posts that wouldn't be saved. Some stuff he posted then got him banned.

What did he say? I am hungry for information.

#11 Posted by afabs515 (1345 posts) -

@believer258 said:

On the first date? You move fast.

Personally, I wait until 3 months in before asking her name. I don't want to seem too forward.

#13 Posted by ArtisanBreads (4066 posts) -

Fuck names.

#14 Posted by Fattony12000 (7632 posts) -

#15 Posted by ArtisanBreads (4066 posts) -

PS put down the Nyquil bro.

#16 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I could because i dont call my parents by their names, like ever.

However, i could not date a girl with the same name as my sister. Speaking of which, my sister is engaged to a guy with the same name as my brother. Its weird.

#17 Posted by wjb (1718 posts) -

I kind of did once? Except the person I dated had two names so it wasn't exactly the same name. So actually no, I haven't. Uh, sorry for wasting everyone's time!

(I always thought something bad happened to Hizang, but good, he just got banned.)

#18 Posted by pyromagnestir (4344 posts) -

Huh, I always thought it was deep seeded, since that would imply the roots ran deep. Deep seated just seems dumb.

Anyway, I probably would?

I mean if she's a really cool person then her name is not a reason I'd kick her to the curb. And it's not like I call my parents by their first name anyway. Though I suppose it could get... strange, at times.

But of course this is all theoretical as I don't date at all and will likely die alone.

#19 Posted by AgnosticJesus (545 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me as long as they let me call them by my parent's name when we make love.

#20 Posted by HatKing (6200 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: That was my issue, too. But I guess logic means fuck all to the English language, huh? I sort of remembered immediately after posting that it was the other way around. Real dumb.

And I want to amend my previous answer. I would date her if she had my dad's name. That would be extra weird because I also have my dad's name.

#21 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I couldn't say. I honestly can't recall meeting too many women in my relative age range with my mom's name, so it hasn't really been an issue.

#22 Edited by DeadpanCakes (1086 posts) -

Eh, sure why not?

And yes, I have parental issues.

#23 Posted by BisonHero (7298 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I couldn't say. I honestly can't recall meeting too many women in my relative age range with my mom's name, so it hasn't really been an issue.

Same, names fall in and out of favour a lot. My dad's name is still somewhat common, but I've never met anyone even close to my age that has my mom's name.

The only way it would happen is if I dated an Asian girl, since when a lot of them choose English names, they seem to flip to a random page of the name dictionary, regardless of whether that name is in fashion or not. That is the only way I can explain that I know a Chinese girl named Mabel.

#24 Posted by HatKing (6200 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Same, names fall in and out of favour a lot. My dad's name is still somewhat common, but I've never met anyone even close to my age that has my mom's name.

The only way it would happen is if I dated an Asian girl, since when a lot of them choose English names, they seem to flip to a random page of the name dictionary, regardless of whether that name is in fashion or not. That is the only way I can explain that I know a Chinese girl named Mabel.

Whatever, dude. If I had a daughter I'd absolutely name her something like Sylvia. And I'm really, really white.

#25 Posted by RobotHamster (4178 posts) -

My friends sister is dating someone with the same name as him an their father who he hates, and yes we make fun of him all the time.

#26 Posted by pyromagnestir (4344 posts) -

@hatking:

I'm willing to bet it was deep seeded and somebody just made a mistake and it stuck. That sounds plausible enough.

#27 Posted by Sammo21 (3708 posts) -

Considering I've never once called my parents by their first names, yes because I am not a child who has weird issues.

#28 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

I'm in a long term relationship with someone with the same name as my sister, it was definitely a little weird at first, but I'm more than over it nowadays, it probably helps I don't often refer to her directly by her name, but I am pretty sure I could handle it if it was my mothers name too, it's only a name...

#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (6077 posts) -

I would date someone with my mom's name, but I would not date someone with my dad's name.

#30 Posted by Zacagawea (1624 posts) -

You don't ever call your parents by their first name so it's not really an issue

#31 Edited by Shirogane (3583 posts) -

All i'm getting from this is that everyone either has parental issues or is adam. That's what you're trying to say right?

#32 Posted by PandaBear (1409 posts) -

This is so stupid.

Let's say you're a regular heterosexual male and your mum's name is Miranda and Miranda Kerr says she wants to date you. What the fuck are you going to say? "No, you have the same name as my mother?".

#33 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (810 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: The site the following link will take you to is the answer to pretty much every question you'll have about why English is English.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/deep.html

#34 Edited by Brackynews (4110 posts) -

@hatking said:

Nope, seeded still works on many levels. Including the "fuck me". Good luck with that therapy bill.

#35 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Let's say you're a regular heterosexual male and your mum's name is Miranda and Miranda Kerr says she wants to date you. What the fuck are you going to say?

"I don't date humans. I've had some nasty experiences with that in the past. Also, who the hell are you?"

#36 Edited by ArtisanBreads (4066 posts) -

This is so stupid.

Let's say you're a regular heterosexual male and your mum's name is Miranda and Miranda Kerr says she wants to date you. What the fuck are you going to say? "No, you have the same name as my mother?".

Yeah girls go crazy for that try it out.

#37 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

#Bringbackhizang

#38 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2744 posts) -

Only if they're okay with me always calling them by nickname.

#39 Posted by RonGalaxy (3293 posts) -

I don't know... It would be weird at first, but if I really cared about the person and we had a connection I could look past it. I initially voted no, but then I thought about it, and my answer is... it depends.

#40 Posted by Fuzzy_Dunlop (237 posts) -

Sure. Who gives a fuck? How sad/weird of a person would you be to cancel a relationship solely because of a name?

#41 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

While I know 'deep seeded' originated in use, and continues to be perpetuated, due to people using the term in sorta appropriate context based on hearing it used elsewhere without actually know precisely what it originally meant or what precise words it involves -'deep seated' i mean- I really like 'deep seeded' and think it functions just as well as the original phrase for the same purpose. :p

Carry on. -___-

Also, my mother's name is very obscure and I have never encountered another person with the same name, pronunciation and spelling, as her's. So it's unlikely to be a problem. Also i don't date anyway.

#42 Posted by GnaTSoL (836 posts) -

I couldn't do it. Just imagine making love with a girl who has your mother's name. You're gonna be shouting that shit, you'll orgasm, then you start pondering the weird connotations of what just transpired.

Things are made especially worse if your mother has a unique / barely used name.

#43 Posted by HatKing (6200 posts) -

@hatking said:

Nope, seeded still works on many levels. Including the "fuck me". Good luck with that therapy bill.

After a month and half of regular sessions my therapist blew me off and I couldn't schedule another meeting. True story.

Also, you're right. I'll pretend I was clever enough to work in the really dark/extremely hot "seeded" pun there.

#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

Just imagine making love with a girl who has your mother's name. You're gonna be shouting that shit, you'll orgasm, then you start pondering the weird connotations of what just transpired.

That's what makes it great. If she has young children, I'll just start shouting "Mommy!".

#45 Edited by maverick1 (92 posts) -

nope

#46 Posted by Flappy (2376 posts) -

Oddly enough, I had this same thought a couple nights ago. Never did manage to come to a conclusion, but I doubt I'd hold something like that against a girl.

#47 Posted by ch3burashka (5310 posts) -

I could because i dont call my parents by their names, like ever.

However, i could not date a girl with the same name as my sister. Speaking of which, my sister is engaged to a guy with the same name as my brother. Its weird.

Dear Playboy,

I've always read your stories, but I never thought it would happen to me...

#48 Posted by ch3burashka (5310 posts) -

PS This is why THX1138 is the future; people are stupid and get stuck on the same stupid name. Give me 3 letters and 4 numbers and we got ourselves a utopia.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

PS This is why THX1138 is the future; people are stupid and get stuck on the same stupid name. Give me 3 letters and 4 numbers and we got ourselves a utopia.

Sure, if your idea of a utopia is living in an underground society where everyone is drugged all the time and brainwashed with Big Brother-like propaganda.

Also, that movie is proof that George Lucas knew what he was doing, once upon a time.

#50 Posted by slyspider (1402 posts) -

Idk. I guess I would just have a pet name to solve this issue.