• 68 results
#1 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2944 posts) -
#2 Posted by Tireyo (6408 posts) -

How should I know?!?!?!

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Probably?

#4 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2944 posts) -

I'd say look at the amount of games you have, maybe divide it between new and used. For the new ones multiply by the standard sell price in your country at the time it was new. For used estimate what the possible sell price when you bought and tally for a rough estimate. While I've been happy with most of my purchases (shakes fist at dreadlock bionic commando game) I seriously spent alot of money on games through the years.

#5 Posted by RVonE (4601 posts) -

I guess.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

@Tireyo643 said:

How should I know?!?!?!

Math. It's a thing.

#7 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Erm, maybe... I don't want to think about it... and now I feel terrible. :(

#8 Posted by Tireyo (6408 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Tireyo643 said:

How should I know?!?!?!

Math. It's a thing.

I don't really know how much I've spent on games. Hard to remember every single one at discount and full price.

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Yeah but I already own a car so I don't care.

#10 Posted by Strife777 (1490 posts) -

Yes, but probably nothing exciting. A little cheap car.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10343 posts) -

Define "new."

#12 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

At this point, probably a Kia haha. Do I count the cost of my gaming PC?

#13 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

games > cars

they also continue to cost money long after you have paid for them. it's the equivalent of buying everything in every F2P game all the time always.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11562 posts) -

Every game ever, including systems, controllers, and other accessories?

Do the games that other people (i.e. my parents, my brother, etc.) count?

If you total up the amount of money spent on games, systems, and accessories for me, then probably, as long as we're talking about a reasonable car and not something insane.

If you're talking only about money that I've spent, myself, on games for me, then probably not. Not on a reasonably decent car, anyway - maybe four wheels and an engine, but not something decent.

#15 Edited by Jay_Ray (1069 posts) -

Adding up consoles and games, accounting for inflation, probably

#16 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

Probably not.

#17 Posted by Danteveli (1157 posts) -

Yes. Maybe not Ferrari or anything expensive but Audi, Ford, Toyota, BMW level for 30-40 k.

#18 Posted by Raven10 (1699 posts) -

Maybe over the course of my entire life. Not a good car mind you, but a really cheap car that had been sitting on the lot for five years because it was puke orange and came with a dead body in the back.

#19 Posted by ShaggE (6290 posts) -

Honestly can't say, but it seems plausible.

#20 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

Yes ... but I still prefer my vidja games instead of a a car.

#21 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Think about all the things you could get if you didn't have to buy groceries.

#22 Posted by Trilogy (2637 posts) -

Could you feed a lot of hungry children with the money you spent on your car?

Yea, fuck you and your thread.

(I half joke)

#23 Posted by Redbullet685 (6017 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

Probably?

Lets go with this.

#24 Posted by Brendan (7664 posts) -

Err...I don't think so. At least not anything worth very much. I don't think I've spent more than $10k on video games in my lifetime.

#25 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

No. I've spent a fair amount on games in my time, but remember, even used cars can be damn expensive out of the gate, and there are a dozen other costs that need to followed up on to keep a car going.

#26 Posted by Skytylz (4025 posts) -

If we count hardware, especially my PC, I could probably afford a shitty car. That wouldn't be as much fun as the games I've bought though!

#27 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

I'm just going to go ahead and say that the likelihood is absolutely there.

#28 Posted by mlarrabee (2868 posts) -

Not even close.

#29 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

My Steam account is worth around $10,000 and that's at current prices, not what I actually spent. I could probably get a decent car just with that one platform (and it's not my primary).

#30 Posted by Kurtdyoung (1297 posts) -

New car? No. Old, crappy, broken down craigslist car? Probably.

#31 Posted by Pr1mus (3777 posts) -

If i say 30$ a game on average (and it's probably much less than that) plus the price of consoles and money put towards making a cheap PC into a respectable gaming one of 3 occasions i probably spent 10k. So i guess that covers the base price of my Hyundai.

#32 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

Hmph. Probably.... I regret nothing.

#33 Edited by bybeach (4702 posts) -

I own a truck and very small economical/quick early acura.

Also the games are cumulative over time, and fit in with cash in hand. It depends on one's priorities I guess.

didn't Kia's have a moment in the sun as far as being a car?

#34 Posted by Jeust (10450 posts) -

@Kurtdyoung said:

New car? No. Old, crappy, broken down craigslist car? Probably.

This... A new car costs a lot!

#35 Posted by HerbieBug (4193 posts) -

Nah. It`s maybe a few thousand over the course of a couple decades. How's a ten year old Ford Taurus grab ya?

#36 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

Yeah probably although i can't quite put a figure on it, 2nd hand car for sure.

#37 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I could buy a new car with the amount of money I've spent in iTunes.

#38 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Try like 3 cars

#39 Posted by OldGuy (1492 posts) -

Dude. A house. Dude.

#40 Posted by NegativeCero (2972 posts) -

I'm pretty confident in saying no. Maybe give it a few years.

#41 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

No, I don't think I've reached that point just yet.

#42 Posted by Patman99 (1556 posts) -

Considering you can get a bare-bones care for roughly $20,000 (CAD) and games cost $60, then it would take a little over 300 games to accomplish this goal. That figure might be a little unobtainable for most (including me) as it would require to buy multiple video games a month over a period of multiple years. However, if you factor in the cost of consoles, accessories, and Steam, then that number becomes a lot more realistic. I've owned an NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Dreamcast which were probably roughly $300-500 at time of purchase. Now add all the handheld consoles (PSP, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy SP, DS, 3DS) and the games and accessories for that and that $20,000 figure is probably a low ball. While I did not actually purchase the bulk of those consoles (my parents did), I would guess that any person ~20 years old who has been gaming essentially the whole life (and has kept current with the hobby and not bought everything way after the fact) could have probably bought a car with that money.

The wonder is: think of all those video games I could have bought if I didn't own a car.

#43 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I'd say that on average I have spent, or had spent on me, $1200 a year in video game related stuff (this includes PC components and whatnot). I've been into games since I was 12, so that makes 12000$. I could, in fact, buy a Kia. I think I've made the right call so far.

#44 Posted by KirkyX (118 posts) -

Eh, maybe, maybe not. Actually, come to think of it... I've been playing games for around fifteen years, so almost certainly yes.

Still, y'know, had enough left over to buy a secondhand car. It's great. Blue, French, and comes as standard with 59 blue-cheese loving horsepower.

#45 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Sure, but then I'd just have a crappy car that would break down as fast as my 360 did.

#46 Posted by Colt45 (54 posts) -

I could have probably put a dent in my student loans...now I'm sad. Thanks a lot internet!

#47 Posted by Dalai (6978 posts) -

By new you mean a 2005 Hyundai, probably.

#48 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Yeah like a Hyundai or Kia or some other cheap piece of shit.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

No idea. I haven't kept track of the total amount I've spent on games for my entire life.

#50 Edited by bartok (2406 posts) -

Could I take all the money I spent on this one thing and used it to buy something else?