Could your town survive a mass teleportation?

Avatar image for anonymous-poster
Anonymous-poster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Like in the books island in the sea of time or the 1632 series? Would your town or city survive if it were teleported 600 years in the past?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

The town I'm currently in? Probably. It's population is like 250*. We get our water from the lake across the street. We have gardens and green houses for growing crops and cellars for storing them. Many people here pick berries. We get enough fish from the oceans, lakes and rivers, but we could also get a decent amount of moose too. Almost everybody has a wood stove and a supply of wood for heating.

The town I was in last week? It'd be completely fucked. A city of 300000 on an island where like 85% of our food is imported? It'll last about as long as the two week supply that grocery stores carry.

*I'm not sure of the exact population, but the 13 communities in the area combine for a population of 1600 and this is one of the larger towns. We take up less than one side of one page in the phone book.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

A huge city like mine? Yea, it'd do alright.

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea. I live in a small town, so possibly. But I don't know enough about this type of subject.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Well, I live in the deep south, so we could probably protect ourselves pretty well.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Shouldn't we begin by establishing whether anybody actually survives teleportation? The whole murder-cloning device argument!

I haven't read the books in question, are we talking just teleporting the people from the town, or the entire town, including buildings, vehicles and tools, but not the surrounding infrastructure, power (except emergency generators and similar stuff that can only provide power for a limited period of time) and stuff like that?

This area has been populated for thousands of years, there's some farmland around, some wildlife as well as clean water, so it would certainly be possible for people to grow food locally and stuff like that. But currently there are about 25000 people in this town , and I don't think there were anything close to that 600 years ago. I doubt we could grow enough food in this area to sustain that many people.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I live in a large commuter town of about 61,000 people with little commerce and absolutely no industry. Here's my scenario:

There is an immediate rush by those with boats to claim their own section of the Bay Area to live off of fishing for the rest of their lives.

The local Ohlone Indians start worshiping whoever is left and share their meals with us. In the beginning, there is a coordinated effort to separate us across the Bay as much as possible.

Later on, there isn't enough food for everybody (The population of the Bay Area having increased about seven-fold overnight), so those on the ground start distrusting everybody. Many start rebellions and take control of Ohlone villages to feed themselves while other rebellions focus on attacking boats that get too close to shore. Those with the guns usually win their battles.

The bloodshed of this period forces many of us to consider expanding outward. Surrounding tribes refuse to let these outsiders in, for they have heard of the chaos from the Bay. Again, those with the guns have their way.

Eventually, most of the Indians die out from disease, and those of us still left in the Bay Area take control. Being without modern technology for so long, we eventually adapt somewhat to the Ohlone lifestyle, creating our own cultures. Even those who lived on the boats are eventually forced to regress from their technology when they run out of supplies and the willpower to maintain their boats. When the Europeans find us, they are bamboozled by the numbers of people who aren't Indians --especially those that look like them-- but act similar to the Indians.

And that's where I'll stop because at that point, it's alternate history speculation.