• 124 results
#1 Edited by ch3burashka (4992 posts) -

What the topic says - what covers do you think are better than the original versions?

Also...

PS The main reason for this is I want to collect a list of covers and when I have a kid I'll make them listen to only covers, so that when they're old enough to discuss music with their friends, they'll be confused as hell as to why everyone thinks MJ wrote Smooth Criminal and why everyone is crazy.

#2 Posted by 49th (2670 posts) -

#3 Posted by JayEH (516 posts) -

#4 Posted by Imst (61 posts) -

Yeah more often....cover songs are better than the original songs... like Skyscraper?? by demi lovato??I liked it more when Boyce avenue made a cover of it..

#5 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -

#6 Posted by Buneroid (427 posts) -

#7 Edited by KoolAid (821 posts) -

#8 Posted by Blackout62 (1325 posts) -

Oh I know we've had this thread before and I know that because I posted Franz Ferdinand's cover of Blondie's "Call Me" and there was one more I posted, also I can't embed videos for some reason. Also the STRFKCR version of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" is pretty good.

#9 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -
  • Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
  • Billy Idol - Mony Mony
  • Rush - The Seeker
#10 Posted by Imst (61 posts) -

Are those old songs???

#11 Edited by Krullban (1021 posts) -

#12 Posted by wemibelec90 (1495 posts) -

Funny that AAF's "Smooth Criminal" was the first thing to pop in my head and the first thing to be posted in this thread. Other than that, I would probably say I like Marie Digby's version of "Umbrella" much more than Rihanna's and I LOVE Pearl Jam's cover of "Last Kiss."

#13 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

Clearly, the correct answer is Midnight Brown's rendition of "Kiss One More Time"

#14 Edited by ajamafalous (11809 posts) -

A lot of Marilyn Manson covers, I'd say.

#15 Edited by 49th (2670 posts) -

#16 Posted by TurboMan (7341 posts) -

Most people would say Johnny Cash's Hurt, but I would make an argument for this.

#17 Posted by RonGalaxy (2839 posts) -
#18 Edited by Schmollian (259 posts) -
#19 Posted by Elwoodan (742 posts) -

I dunno if it really counts (it's a folksong of unclear origin), but the Animals' version of 'The House of the Rising Sun" is by far the best.

#20 Edited by Kyelb22 (297 posts) -

These are the first ones that pop into my head when I think of good covers. There are probably othes tat I can't think of right now.

#21 Edited by Buneroid (427 posts) -

@schmollian: What the fuck man that is awesome. So exotic sounding.

@kyelb22 That Holy Diver cover is fucking rad, but still doesn't compete with Dio. Going to see Killswitch this month!

#22 Posted by watertails (98 posts) -

The original's pretty great too, but The Bouncing Souls are just so good.

#23 Edited by MormonWarrior (2529 posts) -

You could probably write a book on quality Beatles covers alone.

My dad always preferred the Elton John versions of "Pinball Wizard" by The Who and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" by The Beatles. I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Maybe a recent-ish example for me would be Jorge Drexler's version of Disneylandia, which was a lousy, lousy song by some Brazilian group I think. But on the same album Drexler has a horrifically bad version of the already awful "High and Dry" by Radiohead so it's a bit of a wash.

#24 Edited by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

#25 Posted by CornBREDX (4754 posts) -

This thread starts with total horse shit. No way in hell is Alien Ant Farm better then Michael Jackson at Smooth Criminal. That's the most awful thing I've ever read anyone write on the internet. EVER!

This is of course my opinion; you are entitled to like that song no matter how wrong and gross and terribly stupid it makes you. =)

#26 Edited by ShaggE (6294 posts) -

Ah, a subject close to my heart. I adore good covers.

And to not over-Youtube, I'll just link the rest:

The Beatles - Twist and Shout (some of my favorite vocals by John)

Brad and the Shoemakers - I Believe In A Thing Called Love (\m/)

Type O Negative - Summer Girl/Summer Breeze (TON always did great covers)

Marilyn Manson - This Is Halloween (couldn't choose between this and "I Put A Spell On You")

10,000 Maniacs - Because The Night - (I love the Patti Smith original, but there's a lot to be said for the way Natalie Merchant sings it)

Freezepop - Seven Boom Medley (this might be cheating, as it covers two songs, but it's automatically better because fuck The Venga Boys)

Crystal Castles - Not In Love (this cover always makes me think of walking through a city at night in the winter for some reason... just beautiful imagery)

Fiona Apple - I Want You (holy mother of covers... my absolute favorite, and if you listen to any of these, make it this one. It's beautiful, unsettling, sexy, terrifying, and just all around incredible. Be sure to watch the video too... the look she gives at the end is blood chilling, mainly because her instability is entirely real, and you can see a thread of sincerity in her stare... in fact, I'll just embed the video)

#27 Edited by Tom_omb (325 posts) -

I don't like to think of these covers as being better then the originals. They are different, and also awesome.

This is what came to my mind when I saw the topic, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

A bit in the vein of that Ironman cover this one alters the mood of the mood of the original. It's from an amazing album of covers I'm kind of obsessed with.

There should be more covers of Cartoon themes.

If you like covers you should check out the Coverville podcast.

#28 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

Metallica has a knack for great covers.

#29 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

The original version was by Jake Holmes.

The original version was by Robert Hazard, which I find really odd. A guy wrote this song about girls having fun.

I actually like both versions of this, but I feel like the RHCP version is just slightly better. Original was by Stevie Wonder.

Original version was by Erma Franklin, which was also good... but nothing compares to Ms. Joplin.

There have been SO many different covers of this song. Of course, for me, The Kingsmen's version is the ideal version... but even though many think they were the original artists, the original was actually written and recorded by Richard Berry.

I almost forgot about this one, too. There have also been a ton of a different versions of this song. The versions by Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones in 1961 and 1964, respectively, are probably the most popular. However, two artists did it before they did. Nat King Cole did a version in 1946, and the original composer Bobby Troup did a version earlier that same year. Still, Chuck Berry really took it and made it the classic it is today.

#30 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

I hate the Johnny Cash version of Hurt, don't understand how people think it is better than NIN's version.

Don't have the clip but there is a version of Maynard James Keenan singing Kashmir and it so amazing, better than Zeppelin.

#31 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

#32 Edited by mbdoeden (155 posts) -

That Manson cover of Sweet Dreams is fucking awful.

The real answer is:

The Beatles - Twist and Shout

#33 Posted by Flappy (2113 posts) -

This thread starts with total horse shit. No way in hell is Alien Ant Farm better then Michael Jackson at Smooth Criminal. That's the most awful thing I've ever read anyone write on the internet. EVER!

This is of course my opinion; you are entitled to like that song no matter how wrong and gross and terribly stupid it makes you. =)

I was coming in here to post the same thing (maybe with a little less emotion), but you totally beat me to the punch. Good job, homie.

#34 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

Doubt many people will enjoy this, but yeah...

@vonocourt: Good pull, I always forget that's a cover.

#35 Edited by Slab64 (1045 posts) -

This is the first that springs to mind for me:

Also:

Nouvelle Vague is exclusively a covers band with a French-y bossa nova-y sound, so if you like that sound you will probably prefer almost all of their versions to the originals which sound nothing like this :P

Honorable mention goes to a cover of a song which I like equally as much as the original, because they are both super awesome in their own ways:

EDIT: I forgot Jenny Owen Youngs and Pomplamoose and the A.V. Club's Covers project.

#36 Edited by Sinusoidal (1262 posts) -

I'm sorry OP, but are you really suggesting that The Cardigans version of Iron Man is superior to this:

Blasphemy!

Here's a cover that's better than the original:

#37 Edited by Akyho (1584 posts) -

I would never happily listen to a Rihanna song...however...The spine of Steam powered Giraffe puts a good spin on it.

Aswell as their cover of Icona Pop: I love it. Would never have listened other wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjiIQ9Z02bU

One of the best covers ever. Jagger has even said its one of his favoured covers of Satisfaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o

Spinnerettes cover of Devo's song is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ggMgmAL5JM

Also a cover of Styx's Mr Roboto. Complete with giant robot.

#38 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

I really like the Sarah Blasko cover of Cold Chisel's Flame Trees. It's not got the same pace, but it's so chill that I can just sit back and soak it in for a while.

#39 Posted by Deathdealer108 (290 posts) -

I don't know if this really counts as it is a parody cover. But Gangster's Paradise kinda sucks, and I have listened to Weird Al's version tons of times. And I know all the lyrics of The Saga Begins, can't say that about American Pie.

As for more normal answers...

Halestorm's two full cover albums are notable mentions in my book. Lots of fun re-imaginings.

#40 Edited by Korwin (2813 posts) -

Better, never. Unique or great in their own right, absolutely (well... when they're actually good).

#41 Edited by MB (11891 posts) -

Alright, I'll bite. I know some die hard Led Zeppelin fans are going to freak out about this, but Tool's version of No Quarter is better. Tool could cover a Justin Bieber song and make it incredible.

#42 Posted by ShaggE (6294 posts) -

@akyho: Oh man, how could I forget Diamonds? For a "joke" cover, it's legitimately great.

#43 Edited by Damodar (1283 posts) -

What these guys do with some covers of some really questionable songs is really amazing

Also, in a twist on the topic, Fantomas did an entire album reimagining classic movie themes. It's pretty interesting.

#44 Posted by The_Ruiner (985 posts) -

#45 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@mb said:

Alright, I'll bite. I know some die hard Led Zeppelin fans are going to freak out about this, but Tool's version of No Quarter is better. Tool could cover a Justin Bieber song and make it incredible.

UUUUGH. I love both bands so, so much but I...I can't agree with you. Both versions are excellent. But I gotta side with Zeppelin on this one.

And my answer is almost anything by Tears for Fears. There are so many covers of their songs that surpass the original by a mile.

#46 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1915 posts) -

Clearly the best Celtic Frost ever, despite there being about ten thousand of them put to record. John Tardy makes anything sound insane.

This is also a great cover. Dunno if I'd call it better than the original, but it's pretty sweet.

#47 Posted by Akyho (1584 posts) -

@shagge: Indeed, It just sort of gets stuck in my head. The different ranges on The Spine is what does it.

I also forgot myself that you selection reminded me.

Amanda Palmer's Ukulele Cover of Creep.

Also probably the best cover ever in the universe.

#48 Edited by Butano (1728 posts) -

There's quite a few, but here's some of my favorites:

Now I love Queen, but.....there's something about the Breaking Benjamin cover of their song that's just incredible.

Miley may be crazy, but honestly, she's pretty good when it comes to this kinda stuff.

And why is there a distinct lack of metal acapella covers?

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot the country cover of Snoop!

#49 Edited by Ben_H (3294 posts) -

Both versions are amazing, but Ihsahn's vocals are too perfect for this song. I would put them at about equal, the Bathory version is great too.

New Children of Bodom is kinda questionable but this is pretty great:

Edit: Forgot about this. The start is stupid but the chorus is great.

#50 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

@turboman said:

Most people would say Johnny Cash's Hurt, but I would make an argument for this.

I like the White Stripes a whole lot, but you're crazy if you think that version's better than Parton's original.