Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) 10 months, 5 days ago

Poll: Cowboy Boots in the City (65 votes)

Yay 38%
Nay 62%

Recently i've had the urge to pick up a pair of cowboy boots, can't really say why but i think they're cool. The issue however is i am no rancher, i'm a well off Toronto born city boy and was concerned it may come off a bit odd to wear them in daily life. So my question is this, are cowboy boots acceptable wear in a non western city, yay or nay?

#1 Edited by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -

Asking a video game forum for fashion advice?

#2 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3012 posts) -

Only if you're Don Cheadle and you're in Boogie Nights.

#3 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

Sure why not. You probably have to get just the right shirt and blazer to go with it. Maybe like a dark sand red-brown or something, and I don't know about the pants. But yea dude go for it!

It says Off-Topic for a fucking reason!

#4 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

Your point?

#5 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

I think you have to be from an area where people wear cowboy boots to pull them off. I don't have a sense of fashion though, so who knows.

#6 Posted by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

I feel like that would be as difficult as a fedora to pull off without looking like a douche.

#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

Cowboy boots and hats are pretty silly. Most of the people around here aren't even cowboys, and if you ask them about it, you'll get some answer about how they respect the job and the culture and think it looks cool. A wise man once compared this phenomenon with like, fireman hats or something- wearing one of those around town would be just as silly as wearing the cowboy shit, but isn't exactly socially acceptable.

Then again, do whatever the fuck you want and don't care.

#8 Posted by joshwent (2112 posts) -

Where whatever the fuck you want to, whenever the fuck you want to, with confidence, and you'll look great.

- the dude from P-Funk that always wears a diaper

#9 Posted by Christoffer (1757 posts) -

Just do it. I also think they look kind of cool on the right body type. I'm way too short for any kind of pointy footwear, it just looks goofy on me. I also think you need to consider what clothes you're mixing them with, I don't think they go with just anything.

But who knows. I'm just a videogamesman.

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (7044 posts) -

Strong Look.

#11 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Do you, homie.

#12 Posted by Marcsman (3116 posts) -

I've been wearing cowboy boots for over 25 years. I love them & don't give a shit what anybody says about them. I'm on the east coast too.

#13 Edited by LTSmash (603 posts) -

The neighborhood where I work in Chicago has a pretty large Mexican-American community with several Western-style clothing stores, so its not unusual to see guys in cowboy boots and hats.

#14 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

I live in Nebraska and you can assume a lot of things about a person when you see them with cowboy boots on. They aren't usually good things.

#15 Edited by mikethekilla (328 posts) -

I wouldn't wear a pair but you can do whatever the fuck you wanna do.

#16 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

#17 Posted by Capsicum_Homie (28 posts) -

If you are a cowboy, then yes. If you are not a cowboy, then no.

#18 Edited by ZolRoyce (630 posts) -

You know, if you think about, some gamers spend more time on fashion then some people literally into fashion, think about the countless hours spent customizing characters, faces, make up, small details, clothing, sometimes you spend hours just getting a character down to the last perfect little detail. I would get excited when I found a new clothing shop in Saints Row. Gamers are as good a source at f-f-f-f-f-fashion then anyone really.

#19 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Of course yay! To hell with people.

#20 Posted by schreiberty (204 posts) -

just ask yourself, "Do I want to wear cowboy boots?" if the answer is yes then wear cowboy boots. If the answer is no then don't wear cowboy boots.

#21 Posted by TehBuLL (592 posts) -

Yeah I see lots of lawn dogs in cowboots. Rock the right flannel with it and you're good.

#22 Posted by the_lens_flare (12 posts) -

I doubt anyone would notice if you tucked them under your pants legs.

#23 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (601 posts) -

#24 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1523 posts) -

As someone who lived in Toronto from 2007-2013, I can say with some authority that you're going to stand out a lot wearing cowboy boots. If you can really own it and can put together a coherent, unique style to match it, go for it, but unless you're really sure about that, I'd say don't.

With all due respect to people who wear fedoras or trench coats, if you don't do it right, it could look like an awkward nerd affectation in the same way those often do.

#25 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I dunno dogg; wear what you want, but I don't think that's a good look.

Also this:

@grantheaslip said:

With all due respect to people who wear fedoras or trench coats, if you don't do it right, it could look like an awkward nerd affectation in the same way those often do.