Crazy time travelling paradox....

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joshy9411

I was just discussing the effect of time travel with a friend over facebook.....and this happened..... 

If you travel back in time one day and rob a bank, then travel to the point just before you went back in time and stopped yourself from robbing the bank (but still have the money from the robbery) would the robbery have happened upon returning to the present?  
 bitch be trippin' 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl

Well too bad the idea fails since it's impossible to travel in time, so...

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshy9411
@imsh_pl said:
" Well too bad the idea fails since it's impossible to travel in time, so... "
i bet you tell kids santa isnt real too...
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By imsh_pl
@joshy9411: WHAT?!
joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joshy9411
@imsh_pl said:
" @joshy9411: WHAT?! "
ruining everyones fun....
Avatar image for delicious_brains
Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Delicious_Brains

The only way I can get my head around it is to think of parallel universes being created by time travellers. 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By imsh_pl
@joshy9411: Well, you can't really start a topic about time paradoxes and act surprised when people start to question the idea of time travel itself (because the answer to your question 'would the robbery still happen?' is 'it's impossible to travel in time, so no').
Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sogeman

You'd have made an alternate reality, one with the bank robbery and one without it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus

Well, if I learned anything from the movie Stargate Continuum, you've just changed everything around you. You'll be living in a time with no robbed bank, but you would still have the money from the alternate reality where you did rob the bank. 

...although all this is horse shit. Hawking says we can't. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@TooWalrus said:
" Well, if I learned anything from the movie Stargate Continuum, you've just changed everything around you. You'll be living in a time with no robbed bank, but you would still have the money from the alternate reality where you did rob the bank.  ...although all this is horse shit. Hawking says we can't.  "
Well, if it happened on Stargate, it must be true! Or whatever Steve Hawking says. He's usually right. 
Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
@joshy9411:  Godsmack music plays and The Dahaka comes for you.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By KarlPilkington

2 parallel timelines methinks.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IBurningStar

Wouldn't work like that. It sounds to me like you almost want to create a time loop. The only problem here is that in order for the loop to actually work it has to be able to be completed an infinite number of times. Like, say I am walking to class one day and on the way I see a pen on the ground. I stop and pick it up because, hey, free pen. When I get to class the guy sitting next to me notices that he doesn't have anything to write with so I give him the pen I just found. Later on that day, this guy somehow travels into the past. He falls into a magic time travel lake or something. Doesn't matter. Anyway, starts walking around and finds his way back to the college campus. At one point he accidentally bumps into someone and the pen falls out of his pocket. Five minutes later I walk by and see a pen on the ground and I pick it up because, hey, free pen. 

Even if you went back in time and gave yourself the money, you would still have to rob the bank in order to travel back in time to give yourself the money. Although, you could save money your whole life and let it accumulate to a large sum. Then when you are really old you can travel back to today and give yourself the money and explain that you need to start saving. Meaning that current you would instantly get a big bag of cash today.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dany

The future is always set and will always be the same. If you went back in time and robbed a bank you will always go back in time to Rob the bank. Whatever happened happened.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By floodiastus
@Delicious_Brains said:
" The only way I can get my head around it is to think of parallel universes being created by time travellers.  "
This is what happens yes, it is pretty clear that the dimension of time is just one dimension out of ALOT. Our flawed senses cannot comprehend or experience  too many dimensions openly... I see dimensions as being more and more transparent the higher up you come. This might not make sense to anyone except myself  though :/
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kjellm87
wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wubb

Some think the Universe would self correct to prevent that sort of thing from happening.  The classic paradox is traveling back in time and killing your grandfather before your mom/dad is conceived.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@joshy9411 said:
" @imsh_pl said:
i bet you tell kids santa isnt real too... "
He is real, and he is an evil threat that must be stopped.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You would have robbed the bank in a parallel universe. Every-time you travel back in time and change something, you're creating a alternate universe with a different series of events. It's like if you traveled back in time and killed your own parents before you were born. You're not actually killing the people who gave you life, you're killing an alternate version of them. That's how you continue to exist.  

Of course this is all pure science-fiction since time travel doesn't actually exist.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By wrighteous86
@TooWalrus said:
" Well, if I learned anything from the movie Stargate Continuum, you've just changed everything around you. You'll be living in a time with no robbed bank, but you would still have the money from the alternate reality where you did rob the bank.  ...although all this is horse shit. Hawking says we can't.  "
Even if that happened, and you had the money and the bank had the same money, you'd eventually be arrested for counterfeiting, since both sets of cash would have the same serial numbers.  They would never be able to figure out how you did it, but you'd still be arrested.  In the end, justice is served... in The Twilight Zone. 

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fattony12000
@MattyFTM @imsh_pl said:

Not quite true, the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time will pass for those experiencing it. Obviously getting to about 99.9% of the speed of light is rather tricky at present, but if you were able to, you'd only experience a fraction of the passage of time that those around you would be.

For example:
If you were on a vehicle that travelled around Earth's equator at 90% of lightspeed (167654.1573 miles per second) and you stayed on that vehicle for 1 year (as you would experience it). Upon stopping and getting off that vehicle, you would find that 2.294 years would have passed by in 'normal' time.

That is because of the real life 'time dilation' effect, if we want to get fancy with subspace, alternate and parallel dimensions, wormholes, blackholes, and all that funky jazz, then who knows?
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By imsh_pl
@Fattony12000: Perhaps I should rephrase myself. While I agree that you can 'slow down' time, as far as I'm concerned it's impossible to experience events which had already taken place. In other words, it is impossible to travel back in time.

To my knowledge, that is.
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fattony12000
@imsh_pl said:
" @Fattony12000: Perhaps I should rephrase myself. While I agree that you can 'slow down' time, as far as I'm concerned it's impossible to experience events which had already taken place. In other words, it is impossible to travel back in time.  To my knowledge, that is. "
Ja, this is what I meant by 'funky jazz' in my previous statement, stuff we have yet to discover. If things like the multiverse theory and parallel timelines (both within dimensions, as well as BETWEEN the 11-or-so dimensions) are true, and found to be exploitable...

Then may <insert deity here> have mercy on us all.