#1 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -

So I'm a huge noob when it comes to anything technical with money/banks/cards, but I'm looking for a simple credit card and I know these usually come with a ton of hidden fees and interest, but is there such a thing like debit card but I could use it to order products online?
Like instead of getting a card where I have to pay off the money I owe, I want something I can put my money in and when I order something it takes the money out that is in it.

If this is to confusing I will reword it :P SO all in all, I want a simple card for ordering products and buying a few games and a mmo subscription online, so if you guys can help me with that I would appriciate it, thank you!

#2 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I can order things just find online with my debit card, but apparently the Canadians can't.

I don't have a credit card myself though. =/

#3 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Isn't what you want just called a "debit card"? Sometimes referred  to as "checking cards", or "check cards", or "bank cards" as well, but "debit card" is the typical designation.

If you have a bank account with any major bank you should be able to get a debit card set up in no time. Make sure you request a so-called "on-line" debit card, because NOT ALL debit cards are permissible as payment on the internet.

And just to clarify, yes, debit cards are the ones which "immediately" take the money out of your account to pay for whatever you purchased.

#4 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

Sounds like what us Americans call a debit card. Is it the same in Canada? I'm tired...

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -

Whoa shit, I didn't know you could get a debit card that you can use online, I'll call my bank tommorow.

Haha, thanks a lot guys!

#6 Edited by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@Bucketdeth: Just make sure the debit card is a VIsa. If it isn't, you won't be able to use it online.

But, I'd reccomend a credit card, if you do the right research. Getting a good credit score is one of the best things you can do for yourself, and it's easy to do as well. Just buy things you can afford with your credit card, and pay for the purchases on time. For example, buy a mattress/game console/television with your credit card and instantly pay the bill. Then you win the game of life.
#7 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

Once you do get ahold of one just me all the info any I could easily do it for you. Seriously.

But no, a debit card basically is your checking account, in the form of a.. card.
#8 Posted by MB (12731 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" Whoa shit, I didn't know you could get a debit card that you can use online, I'll call my bank tommorow.Haha, thanks a lot guys! "
This is not a great idea. Let me explain why:

It's true that a debit card with the Visa or Mastercard logo can be used in all of the same places as both of those cards - but the downside is that the card is tied to your bank account. If the card is somehow stolen or compromised, the money stolen is going to be out of your checking account. Now, you will probably get it back...but it may take quite some time. This is why I only ever use my debit card at the ATM machine to get cash, I never, ever use it to make purchases. I'm 100% credit all of the time. With credit, if the card gets stolen or used improperly you aren't out anything, and you have additional protections and benefits based on the level of the card. Not to mention the fact that it's important for you to start building positive credit history, and a debit card will not do that for you either.

I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to credit and credit cards, send me a PM if you want more help.
#9 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@MB said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" Whoa shit, I didn't know you could get a debit card that you can use online, I'll call my bank tommorow.Haha, thanks a lot guys! "
This is not a great idea. Let me explain why: It's true that a debit card with the Visa or Mastercard logo can be used in all of the same places as both of those cards - but the downside is that the card is tied to your bank account. If the card is somehow stolen or compromised, the money stolen is going to be out of your checking account. Now, you will probably get it back...but it may take quite some time. This is why I only ever use my debit card at the ATM machine to get cash, I never, ever use it to make purchases. I'm 100% credit all of the time. With credit, if the card gets stolen or used improperly you aren't out anything, and you have additional protections and benefits based on the level of the card. Not to mention the fact that it's important for you to start building positive credit history, and a debit card will not do that for you either.  I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to credit and credit cards, send me a PM if you want more help. "
Plus, a good credit score is a great thing to have, and doing what you're doing is a great way of getting a good score.
#10 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -
@choffy21 said:
" @MB said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
This is not a great idea. Let me explain why: It's true that a debit card with the Visa or Mastercard logo can be used in all of the same places as both of those cards - but the downside is that the card is tied to your bank account. If the card is somehow stolen or compromised, the money stolen is going to be out of your checking account. Now, you will probably get it back...but it may take quite some time. This is why I only ever use my debit card at the ATM machine to get cash, I never, ever use it to make purchases. I'm 100% credit all of the time. With credit, if the card gets stolen or used improperly you aren't out anything, and you have additional protections and benefits based on the level of the card. Not to mention the fact that it's important for you to start building positive credit history, and a debit card will not do that for you either.  I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to credit and credit cards, send me a PM if you want more help. "
Plus, a good credit score is a great thing to have, and doing what you're doing is a great way of getting a good score.
"
We all live for that credit rating, and paying 20%+ interest on your cards......... Why save when Visa can lend it to you.....

#11 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4778 posts) -

I learned one thing long ago, Having a credit card for something other then an emergency  is basically asking for the credit company to anally rape your credit rating your best bet is to use paypal nearly every thing takes paypal and its secure as well you can just put an amount of money on paypal for you to use to buy something and not have to put any thing more then that or even give them your information.

#12 Edited by CoverlessTech (747 posts) -
@THAfara0 said:
" @choffy21 said:
" @MB said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
"
We all live for that credit rating, and paying 20%+ interest on your cards......... Why save when Visa can lend it to you.....

"
Just pay it off the night you make the purchase. All credit purchases are not loans. I never use my credit card unless I have money in the bank to pay it off that night, or in an emergency where I need some extra cash until next pay day.

To Bucketdeth: Scotia Bank has a credit card called L'earn. It's a student credit card with pretty low interest and (I believe) no monthly fees. Just make sure you pay it off by the end of the month and it wont cost you a cent extra over using debit cards.
#13 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -
@CoverlessTech: I was being sarcastic.....
#14 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

Paypal?

#15 Posted by super_machine (1931 posts) -

You just need an open checking account at a bank. They will send you a debit card that draws from that account. As long as it says visa or mastercard on it, maybe other cc brands, it will work like a credit card, only it uses money you already have.

#16 Posted by Peach (63 posts) -

Just get a Prepaid Mastercard "Vanilla" Credit Card or anything similar. You can buy them at convenience stores, grocery stores and most tech shops (i.e. Futureshop) and they are completely anonymous. They also have all the necessary numbers that you need to pay online, and have the same function as a credit card, without the "credit" per se, you have to load them up with cash. Most are reloadable, and are very convenient. It's all I use to pay online. Oh and fuck Paypal. It takes 8 days to transfer money (for us in Canada) and they charge on money you want back in your bank account.

#17 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@Bucketdeth:

Go to bank, get debit card. Done.
#18 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" I learned one thing long ago, Having a credit card for something other then an emergency  is basically asking for the credit company to anally rape your credit rating your best bet is to use paypal nearly every thing takes paypal and its secure as well you can just put an amount of money on paypal for you to use to buy something and not have to put any thing more then that or even give them your information. "
Not necessarily. You just need to keep on top of your credit statement and make sure to write everything you use the card for. If people get raped by the credit card fees and charges they haven't made or don't remember making then it's their own fault for: A) not going through the credit card contract and reading and understanding what fees come with it. B) not keeping their own record of their credit card charges and comparing it with the card's statements. Lets not also forget that PayPal has its own set of issues, nothing is foolproof. I personally think having  a credit card is a good thing and it goes a long way to have a good credit score, you just need to be on top of it.
#19 Edited by Ouroboros (344 posts) -

working here in canada for an american company i got to understand the lingo

In canada, Debit card is basically a checking/savings account card that handles direct debit at stores and other places

in the US, when one says Debit card it is usually backed with a visa or mastercard symbol on it.  like a pre-paid master/visa - or a debit visa

We dont have those things up here, it`s either a debit card or strickly a credit card.  If it has a mastercard or visa logo its a credit card.

And sometimes to make matters more confusing when they say debit they could also mean just a plain old debit card without the logo.

edit:  to add on this post as i had to restart chrome, in canada debit  and the usage of debit is actually refered to as Interac.
#20 Posted by TheHBK (5508 posts) -

You could just use a credit card and keep track of how much you use to pay it off right away, build up your credit for the future.  Get one with perks.  I have a best buy rewardzone mastercard, this thing is magical.  I get so many free certificates and it builds up faster if you use it on games and stuff.  I got a new simpsons dvd set and piece of beef jerky for 53 cents last week.

#21 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -
@Ouroboros said:
"working here in canada for an american company i got to understand the lingo

In canada, Debit card is basically a checking/savings account card that handles direct debit at stores and other places

in the US, when one says Debit card it is usually backed with a visa or mastercard symbol on it.  like a pre-paid master/visa - or a debit visa

We dont have those things up here, it`s either a debit card or strickly a credit card.  If it has a mastercard or visa logo its a credit card.

And sometimes to make matters more confusing when they say debit they could also mean just a plain old debit card without the logo.

edit:  to add on this post as i had to restart chrome, in canada debit  and the usage of debit is actually refered to as Interac.
"

Yeah! you understand what I meen, and everyone keeps telling me to get a Debit card which I already have, but I have an appointment to talk to some MONEY MAN at the bank tommorow, he'll help me out : D
#22 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

I can buy online with my debit card, whether you can in your country is a different matter.

#23 Posted by Seedofpower (3937 posts) -

Instead of using credit/debit cards you can go to a walgreens or gas station and pick up one of those cards you can just put money onto and buy crap online with that.

#24 Posted by Benjaminvdv (327 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
but I have an appointment to talk to some MONEY MAN at the bank tommorow, he'll help me out : D "
Yeah because they're so reliable. ;)

Can't you just get a extra card for your regular bank account and make that a creditcard aswell? That way you can carry the regular debit card and keep the creditcard at home.
#25 Posted by TheGr3mliin (68 posts) -
@Bucketdeth: dont get a credit card ever just use debit cards in regualr transactions and hook a paypal account to your checking account almost everything online takes paypal nowadays