Credit card locked because of order from Giantbomb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

For the last week and a half I watched my available credit get lower and lower with every payment I made. After quick phone call with the bank the lady asked "Did you make a purchase from Giantbomb?, it raised a red flag so we locked your card".

Anyways, a few moments later the card was unlocked and my available credit was back to normal. Has anyone else ever had troubles when ordering, simply because of the name "GIANTBOMB" on your transactions list?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Perfect.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By altairre

Awesome!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By imhungry

I love that this happens.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JCTango

Working as Intended :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

They planned situations such as this from the beginning.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Hameyadea

If you've ordered something from Tested right afterwards, then it would be funnier to explain why your credit card billing lists GIANTBOMB - TESTED

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

Remember: this could very well have been Thwomp.com.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

Never had my card put on hold for anything suspicious.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TyCobb

Only had my card locked once. Wasn't because of GB, but because I am super quick at spending money in different locations. Smokes and Gas when I left work. McDonald's 8 miles away about 20 minutes later. Quick errand run at Target 5 minutes later and then a $700 Newegg purchase that finally locked the card and wouldn't let me finish my transaction.

The funny thing is that they will lock a card because of this, however, when they see someone spending money at a Target 700 miles away at the same time the real card holder is using it, not a single flag. That actually happened to my friend.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Haven't had any problems, but that's pretty funny.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Awesome. Love it.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By swoxx

Only my premium purchase says giantbomb for me. Store says cbsinteractive in my history.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

I knew they were thieves!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mordukai

Not like that but I did set in an airport once and I googled "Giantbomb" and my wife looked at and said "Do you think it's really smart to google that name now?!"

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NegativeCero

I would hope actual terrorists would be more subtle.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@NegativeCero said:

I would hope actual terrorists would be more subtle.

Yeah seriously. Not a lot of Visa transactions on the black market labeled "Giant Bomb"

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigdaddy81

Just be glad you don't subscribe to my site, SuitcaseNuke.com. It's where me and other subscribers reminisce about old episodes of Columbo. It's only $79.99 a year!

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gaminghooligan

Dear sweet god! This cardholder is ordering giant bombs! Shelly lock his account and save the world!

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OneManX

@TyCobb said:

Only had my card locked once. Wasn't because of GB, but because I am super quick at spending money in different locations. Smokes and Gas when I left work. McDonald's 8 miles away about 20 minutes later. Quick errand run at Target 5 minutes later and then a $700 Newegg purchase that finally locked the card and wouldn't let me finish my transaction.

The funny thing is that they will lock a card because of this, however, when they see someone spending money at a Target 700 miles away at the same time the real card holder is using it, not a single flag. That actually happened to my friend.

Yeah same thing happened to me, I grabbed some lunch, filled up at the gas station and made a fairly large purchase off Amazon.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daryl

I got a couple of phone calls for making transactions in Switzerland after buying MS points in the UK, guess that's where they're placed for EU to tax cuts.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kindgineer

From Giantbomb? No. However, I do know (after about 2-3 hours of sitting on the phone with retarded service reps) that certain cards have different flag cycles and I guess Giantbomb must have set one off. I know that if you do not use a card for a while (and the bank uses this system) they will lock your card if the amount was over $50. This happened to me with USAA and Credit One a while back when I finally paid the card off (fuck man, $6,000 takes a while, but was spent quickly ._.) and as soon as I swiped it, - locked -.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jmood88

It has never happened to me but I've always wondered what IT people think if they happen to look at the logs for public computers and see giantbomb.com in there.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ghost_cat

Ryan Davis stole your money.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By kmg90

Want to know a 100% guaranteed way of getting a credit card locked on the spot regardless of who you are or what your credit card history is?

Buy 2 tanks of gas, then go buy shoes in less then a 2-3 hour period, card will be blocked on the spot...

You'd be amazed at what think tanks have narrowed down to being stolen credit card activity.

Relevant Article

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Can't say I've ever heard of someone having that trouble before now, but I can see why a name like that might make people suspicious. This is why the staff used to get packages where the website name had been crossed out on them.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cloudenvy

Huh. Now that you mention it I'm kind of surprised that that hasn't happened to me yet.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Hamst3r

It hasn't happened to me with anything Giant Bomb related, but it did happen the first time I actually used my credit card, as I hadn't used it for two years prior. The card was activated and then just stayed in my wallet forever as I always had cash on me whenever I was out. When I finally used the card for the first time, buying gas and a few snacks at a gas station, they immediately locked it as the card being used at all was, "outside of my normal usage pattern" and thus suspicious activity.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jozzy

@OneManX said:

@TyCobb said:

Yeah same thing happened to me, I grabbed some lunch, filled up at the gas station and made a fairly large purchase off Amazon.

That''s probably some basic routine for broke credit card thieves, shame it's pretty much creditcard holder routine too.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By limpbishop

I started out as a monthly sub - and almost every month, my bank called me to verify that one transaction - as it sets of all kinds of bells and whistles :)

As now a yearly sub - I hope this will only be an issue once a year.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By audiosnow

I was at the airport, my plane was leaving in twenty minutes, and the baggage check-in kiosk wasn't accepting my card.

Eight minutes later I had worked my way to the front of the assisted baggage check-in desk only to have my card declined again. Twelve minutes left. Tick tock.

I called my parents, who use the same credit union, and asked them to find the phone number from the website. Eleven minutes.

I got the number and called my credit union. The gentlemen said they had locked my card because of two transactions: Steam and Starbucks. Nine minutes

They reactivated my card and the baggage check-in attendant waved me to the front of the line. Seven minutes.

I made it through security in record time. Five minutes left.

Tram ride. Two minutes.

On the plane with one minute to spare.

But I learned a valuable lesson. Criminals, and only criminals, buy Steam and steamed milk.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ripelivejam

only time i recall is when i bought something from green man gaming, and then tried to withdraw most of my cash afterwards. thought there was some sneaky international shit going on.

good site though!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By monkeyking1969

CitiBank doesn't like that I pay off my bill each month, so they approve everything. They want me to spend money...they would love to have my card get stolen. They even changed the size & shape of the envelope to pay the bill to trick me into missing a payment...they sent a bill in the envelope that the NEW credit card offers come in that people typically rip up.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By EpicSteve

You're probably on an ATF watch list now.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaggE

Good thing they scrapped the original name: premiumrussianarmaments.onion