This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jakob187 (21730 posts) -
#2 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Hardly leaked. Daft Punk has it linked on their Facebook page.

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21730 posts) -

@haltiamreptar: I was unaware of that. In turn, you can understand why I believe it was "leaked." Thanks for the info, though.

#4 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

I thought it was forgettable and flat.

Pretty disappointed.

Get Lucky, Giorgio, Doin' it Right, and Instant Crush are really the only worthwhile tracks.

#5 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

I, for one, love it. Exactly the album I hoped it would be.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9396 posts) -

heh. It was leaked by being officially released. Awesome. The Internet is exploding.

#7 Posted by jsnyder82 (762 posts) -

Can't wait for all the internet nerds with unrealistic expectations to tell everybody how much it sucks.

#8 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Joyous, Moving, Funky, Nostalgic, Futuristic, and absolutely bonkers!

I love it!

#9 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Never been a big fan of them but will check this out soon, some decent new music'd be nice.

#10 Posted by Nilazz (630 posts) -

Perfect music for hot summer nights.

#11 Posted by JNeam (77 posts) -

God damn I love it.

#12 Edited by Benny (1955 posts) -

Dope as helllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

#13 Edited by Digiwth (152 posts) -

I'm really disappointed. I found the album really, really boring. None of the songs seemed to go anywhere or do anything interesting. :/

#14 Posted by MX (243 posts) -

This album makes me feel really good

#15 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@digiwth said:

I'm really disappointed. I found the album really, really boring. None of the songs seemed to go anywhere or do anything interesting. :/

It's a lot like late funk music in the 70's, where the guitar melodies would just float everywhere and the song never had a resolve, they're trying to bring back the part of music that spawned disco. Personally think Steve Hauschildt, Chromeo, Breakbot and Grum have all done the style better by elaborating on Nu disco, and not dwelling on early disco.

#16 Posted by JouselDelka (966 posts) -
#17 Posted by Digiwth (152 posts) -

@bestusernameever: Awh.

I am going withhold anymore judgement until I know exactly what every song sounds like with Around the World playing under it.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Give it a couple of listens and then say that you're disappointed The expectations would never be met so disappointment is understandable. However, I find it to be really refreshing. Digging it so far.

#19 Posted by Lumley (963 posts) -

I'm on my third play of the album, it gets better each time. Genuinely really like every track on the album.

My stand outs? Giorgio By Moroder, Lose Yourself to Dance, Doin' It Right and Fragments of Time

#20 Edited by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

Listening to it for the first time so far its pretty fucking good.

EDIT: After listening to it once full through its good, not as good as I was hoping but good nonetheless I'd probably rank it my 3rd favorite Daft Punk album behind Discovery and Human After All, but in front of Homework.

#21 Edited by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
#22 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2587 posts) -

@digiwth said:

I thankfully managed my expectations, and have found two songs I like - Beyond and Contact (though the latter has some wierd parts to it).

But then, the only Daft Punk I truly love was their first second (thanks @lemonlateralus ) album, Discovery.

#23 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -
#24 Edited by masterpaperlink (1868 posts) -

i like it, even after the looong round of obnoxious over hyping/ marketing.

#25 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (620 posts) -

I was bumping this album at my workplace today through the speakers, and my clientele (middle-aged white people who drop multiple hundreds of dollars on drycleaning), seemed shocked and disoriented.

However, it went over far better than Schoolboy Q did.

#26 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -

This will anger a lot of fans of Daft Punk's prior work. Daft Punk's sound has always leaned way more towards electronica than nu-disco. They went the complete opposite direction with this album. Not too surprising though; the miniseries of Youtube documentaries with their collaborators was hinting hard that this album was a throwback to late 70s and early 80s stuff.

I was hoping to get an album that they can mix into a great live performance. What I got was an album that I would listen to after going to a rave/concert.

#27 Edited by Kidable (127 posts) -

There's a few tracks toward the end that get a bit too dark/crazy but at least 90% of this album is fantastic and I loved it.

#28 Posted by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

I was bumping this album at my workplace today through the speakers, and my clientele (middle-aged white people who drop multiple hundreds of dollars on drycleaning), seemed shocked and disoriented.

o.O

#29 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4897 posts) -

I'm no Daft Punk aficionado, but I like this.

#30 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2587 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic:

You know Discovery was their second album right?

You just blew my fucking mind! I seriously didn't remember that Homework came before Discovery!

How about that.

Anyway, the Alive stuff is amazing too, but beyond that there's little of DP that I actually enjoy on the regular.

#31 Edited by jakob187 (21730 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

I did a search and couldn't find anything. = /

As for the album itself, my two cents: I think it's a good album, and I think I don't like it as a Daft Punk album. When I come to Daft Punk, I DO want something different and unique, and they did that with this album. However, I also want something definitively electronic, where they are bending electronics to their whims. Mind you, plenty of this could be electronic, and that's fine. However, I just don't feel "Daft Punk" when I listen to this album. I feel some people reminiscing about when disco existed, and that's kind of sad overall.

"Giorgio by Moroder" is definitely an excellent track, though. Really love the running melody in that.

#32 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4897 posts) -

I think the grooveshark playlist has been removed.

#33 Edited by jakob187 (21730 posts) -

I think the grooveshark playlist has been removed.

It has indeed. I cannot find a comparable link.

#34 Edited by Unilad (579 posts) -

It's okay. I won't compare to the preceding albums. Personally, I see Discovery as an iconic album, cementing Daft Punk's position as true artists of the genre. (Perhaps even a genre that they defined, if not remastered and rebooted).

RAM is okay. I agree with the above comments completely. It was over hyped, and perhaps over marketed.

I play it at work in the studio. It's nice, and good background music, but it certainly doesn't catch peoples attention in the same manner that Discovery did.

#35 Edited by theQman121 (87 posts) -

@andorski:

So you're saying this is the long con? Get us for the rave, get us after the rave?

#36 Edited by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

@unilad said:

I play it at work in the studio. It's nice, and good background music, but it certainly doesn't catch peoples attention in the same manner that Discovery did.

I actually don't think Daft Punk will ever have another album as good as Discovery, its one of the best in the EDM genre and I don't think they'll ever reach that peak again.

#37 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -