D&D 5e Homebrew Class: Spelldancer (Feedback Wanted!)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Edited By StarvingGamer

The homebrew train keeps on chugging, this time with the Spelldancer (homebrewery link)!

The inspiration for this comes from something like 15 years ago when I was dreaming up different fictional universes when I should have been paying attention in lectures. What if a spellcaster couldn't speak? How would they fulfill the verbal components of a spell? Well, what if there was a sort of sign-language equivalent to arcane words of power. Ok, well what if that sign-language actually took the form of dance? Thusly: Spelldancer.

From a mechanical point of view, the core concept is to be a squishy hybrid damage dealer, something between and Eldritch Knight and a Rogue, leaning more heavily in the Rogue direction of things. Because I needed the feeling of a continuous dance to be embodied by the gameplay, I gave the class a momentum-based mechanic that powers up as you hit with stuff. Of course it's hard to balance momentum-based things to not be too weak at the start and not be too strong at the end, but I think I struck a pretty good balance, factoring in the standard D&D fight length of 3-rounds.

Or maybe this class is still bustabust. I dunno. Anyways, I'd love to get any feedback you guys have. Eviscerate all my ideas! Yay!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The formatting on the text is kinda off on the first page, but I'm on mobile so maybe that's why.

Neat class!

Maybe just personal preference, but might I suggest moving the 10ft speed increase from Tempest Soul to Breezewalk? 15th level seems like a long time to wait for a small, one-time speed increase.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

@bisonhero: Yaeh, the first page messes up on mobile. It puts a huuuuge margin at the top for some reason. I'm not too worried about it since it's all flavor.

Thanks for reading and, yeah, that's certainly something worth considering. I'm not 100% on that since everyone gets a little flavorful mobility boost at 15 though. Will meditate on it, maybe Aerodancers can get a different other mobility boost at that level.