Daniel Petric sentenced gets 23 to life in prison

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By RedSox8933

This dude killed his mom and severely injured his dad because they took away Halo 3, I'm sure you've all heard. But today he was sentenced to life in prison with possibility of parole in 23 years. I don't know whether this kid should have been found not guilty by reason of insanity or if they made the right call, what are your thoughts?

The judge said in January "You can shoot these aliens, and they're there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

That story sickened me when I first heard it. I think he should be in prison, yeah, and make sure there are no Xbox 360's in there. If so, then he wins.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Matt_

To me, murder is murder. Video games should never be used as an excuse. Sure, I would get upset as a kid when my parents told me not to play a game or I couldn't have a game. But when I was 17, I knew the difference between reality and video games.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By subject2change

Serious waste of resources by putting him in prison. Just execute him and all the others that are 100% guilty.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icil

Hopefully he makes parole after 23 years. He seems to regret what he did very much, but I don't think he was out of control when he fired that gun.

He's going to be 40 when he has the chance at parole. Man, that's missing the best years of your life (supposedly). I say the sentence fits.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

Wow.  By the time he finally comes back into the real world here, he'll be like 40 something and won't have the slightest clue how anything works.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Azteck

If someone stops seeing the difference between games and real life, their parents should've done something. I can't believe he just did it out of the blue, there must've been signs.

He shouldn't be judged though, don't get me wrong. Murder is murder and should always be punished like it.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icil
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" Wow.  By the time he finally comes back into the real world here, he'll be like 40 something and won't have the slightest clue how anything works. "
Yeah, seriously. I saw this special on MSNBC where a guy was freed from prison and was dumbfounded by how tiny our cellphones are. 23 years ago, nobody had home computers and I believe the Internet wasn't known at all.

Shit, we may go through 3 separate console cycles before he's out. SNES/Genesis vs. 360/PS3? With how fast tech is evolving, there's no way he'll be ready for the outside world.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedSox8933
@Icil said:
"
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" Wow.  By the time he finally comes back into the real world here, he'll be like 40 something and won't have the slightest clue how anything works. "
Yeah, seriously. I saw this special on MSNBC where a guy was freed from prison and was dumbfounded by how tiny our cellphones are. 23 years ago, nobody had home computers and I believe the Internet wasn't known at all.Shit, we may go through 3 separate console cycles before he's out. SNES/Genesis vs. 360/PS3? With how fast tech is evolving, there's no way he'll be ready for the outside world. "
That is, if he makes parole.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By VWGTI

"Petric was convicted of shooting his parents in October 2007 after they took the game "Halo 3" away from him. The judge had said the teen was so obsessed over a video game that he may have believed that, like the characters in the game, death wasn't real."

What a fucking cop out.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Matt_

I think the question of how he got to the point that he would commit murder over a video game is important. It doesn't excuse what he did. But I feel that so much of how a kid turns out is based on the kinds of parents he had. If this kid's parents were too-far in the overbearing camp or the opposite where they let him do whatever he wanted as a child and throughout his life, I can see how his psyche could be significantly different of a person considered to be of sound judgment.

Video game addiction is just like any other addiction. One can be addicted to TV, music, moves, sports, or substances. It's life balance that prevents these kinds of behaviors over obvious trivial items such as games or any other medium. Long story short there is no true black or white answer to what made that kid kill his mother. However, in the eyes of the law and myself he took an innocent life. When it comes to an innocent life, there is no reason that justifies murder.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ninjakiller

I wonder if he's going to play Halo 3 when he gets out?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@ninjakiller: No he'll be playing Halo 12 on the Xbox 9000MAX
Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matt_
@ninjakiller said:
"I wonder if he's going to play Halo 3 when he gets out?"

Maybe terms of his parole will be that he will not be allowed to touch a controller or game system. You know, like the movie Hackers with the computer!
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By End_Boss
@Matt_ said:
" I think the question of how he got to the point that he would commit murder over a video game is important. It doesn't excuse what he did. But I feel that so much of how a kid turns out is based on the kinds of parents he had. If this kid's parents were too-far in the overbearing camp or the opposite where they let him do whatever he wanted as a child and throughout his life, I can see how his psyche could be significantly different of a person considered to be of sound judgment. Video game addiction is just like any other addiction. One can be addicted to TV, music, moves, sports, or substances. It's life balance that prevents these kinds of behaviors over obvious trivial items such as games or any other medium. Long story short there is no true black or white answer to what made that kid kill his mother. However, in the eyes of the law and myself he took an innocent life. When it comes to an innocent life, there is no reason that justifies murder. "
I don't think the "blame the parents" theory applies here. Sometimes crazy is crazy, and despite the fact that he regrets it now, he still did it, and still has to pay for it. Also, I'm totally with you on the "you can be addicted to anything" idea.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This is yet another situation where I think the criminal should be given some kind of treatment in addition to just being chucked into a jail cell. If the kid really did do what he did because of his Halo addiction it's really sad though, he doesn't understand why he did what he did and he'll always know that he killed his own mother and can never change that fact.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RedSox8933
@End_Boss said:
"
@Matt_ said:
" I think the question of how he got to the point that he would commit murder over a video game is important. It doesn't excuse what he did. But I feel that so much of how a kid turns out is based on the kinds of parents he had. If this kid's parents were too-far in the overbearing camp or the opposite where they let him do whatever he wanted as a child and throughout his life, I can see how his psyche could be significantly different of a person considered to be of sound judgment. Video game addiction is just like any other addiction. One can be addicted to TV, music, moves, sports, or substances. It's life balance that prevents these kinds of behaviors over obvious trivial items such as games or any other medium. Long story short there is no true black or white answer to what made that kid kill his mother. However, in the eyes of the law and myself he took an innocent life. When it comes to an innocent life, there is no reason that justifies murder. "
I don't think the "blame the parents" theory applies here. Sometimes crazy is crazy, and despite the fact that he regrets it now, he still did it, and still has to pay for it. Also, I'm totally with you on the "you can be addicted to anything" idea. "
I agree with you. I think this kid was mentally unstable and I am surprised that parents didn't even see a hint of it. But it is not their fault, you are right.

For some reason, whenever video games are involved in a case, people don't even consider insanity.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

He'll be fucking stoked about all the new Halo releases when he finally gets out.

Sounds like the Judge was coming down on the side of Diminished Responsibility?  I guess the jury didn't buy it.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RedSox8933
@Jimbo: No jury in this case. The judge heard it in December without a jury and announced the verdict in January. The quote in my first post is from the verdict.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

I seriously doubt a 17 year old would think his parents would respawn like the judge said he thought..

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedSox8933
@CL60 said:
" I seriously doubt a 17 year old would think his parents would respawn like the judge said he thought.. "
I agree. It was the right ruling, but that was just stupid of the judge to say that.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jimbo
@RedSox8933: Huh, interesting.

It's odd that the Judge would choose to say that and then find him guilty.  Not that I believe it necessarily, but what the Judge said does sound like a textbook case of diminished responsibility (as I understand it).
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hairydutchman

Killing your mother over a game... That's fucked up.

I hope he gets pwnd by some n00bs in prison.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson
@Hairydutchman said:
" Killing your mother over a game... That's fucked up.I hope he gets pwnd by some n00bs in prison. "
He's a Halo fan it seems, so he's already used to tea-bagging atleast, eh?
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArchScabby

jeez, I remember this idiot, I'm talking about the judge too.

When I was a teenager I would play halo and grand theft auto all day, but when my parents grounded me from videogames I didn't go on a killing spree.  I the worst thing I would do is probably tell them I'm never talking to them again, then 2 hours later ask them to drive me to the mall.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeffgoldblum
"In the video game "Halo 3," players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth."'
This is the articles description of Halo 3.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RedSox8933
@JeffGoldblum said:
" "In the video game "Halo 3," players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth."'
"
HA! I just noticed that. Hilarious.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By flaminghobo
@RedSox8933 said:
"
@JeffGoldblum said:
" "In the video game "Halo 3," players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth."'
"
HA! I just noticed that. Hilarious. "
I chuckled.

In my opinion this guy deserves everything that's coming to him, I'm almost tempted to say he deserves to be killed himself.
But then again I'm a believer of the eye for an eye, in situations like this.
BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BODDAH
This would've never happened if he bought a Wii.

(sarcasm)
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Systech

Jail? He should be in a mental institution.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RedSox8933
@systech said:
" Jail? He should be in a mental institution. "
That's what I believe too.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
They should have fried him. What he did is unforgivable. It wasn't a heat-of-the -moment, murder. He carefully planed his parent murder/execution and fallowed it through with cold blood and clear though and then tried to cover it up by making it look like a murder-suicide. it seems to me he knew exactly what he was doing.
Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Demonstride
@systech said:
Exactly.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Snipzor
@systech said:
For many reasons, you are 100% correct. Instead of leaving him to rot, we should be studying what happened to him. Just like the Austrian rapist, we need to know why he was like this so we can possibly prevent future outbreaks.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Player1

I just can't grasp my mind around how by the time hes 16 he still hasn't grasped the concept of death...unless he was insane. Which to me seems to be the case.