#1 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

I'm surprised I hadn't seen a thread on this yet, but anyway, for those that don't already know...

Giant Bomb's illustrious former designers and engineers Dave Snider, Andy McCurdy and Mike Horn have teamed up on a new venture called Webhook. It's a brand new website publishing platform. No, it's not another Giant Bomb or even Rival Video Game Website, but it sounds like a cool idea and hopefully it attracts a lot of business.

#2 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4713 posts) -

Brb making nethook.ru

I don't know much about website stuff but that looks cool though.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14744 posts) -

They need a new name WebHook just makes me think it's short for web hook up and that it's some bad low rent dating site.

#4 Posted by TheHT (12295 posts) -

Nice! Wish em nothin but the best.

#5 Posted by MonetaryDread (2349 posts) -

So its like Squarespace? I hope it works out for them.

#6 Posted by HellknightLeon (489 posts) -

Best of luck to them dudes....ers...

#7 Posted by Pr1mus (4099 posts) -

How is their video player?

#8 Edited by Korwin (3326 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

How is their video player?

HQ mode only lets you set to 540p.

Online
#9 Posted by Brendan (8686 posts) -

Those traitorous bastards!!!

#10 Edited by Jams (3043 posts) -

So Squarespace?

#11 Posted by Korwin (3326 posts) -

@jams said:

So Squarespace?

Geocities.

Online
#12 Posted by Jams (3043 posts) -

@korwin said:

@jams said:

So Squarespace?

Geocities.

Angelfire?

#13 Posted by Korwin (3326 posts) -

@jams said:

@korwin said:

@jams said:

So Squarespace?

Geocities.

Angelfire?

MS Word '97 Web Page Wizard.

Online
#14 Posted by ch3burashka (5501 posts) -

They need a new name WebHook just makes me think it's short for web hook up and that it's some bad low rent dating site.

that's called free money. They've figured out this whole internet thing.

#15 Edited by rjayb89 (7806 posts) -

Oh, they're Webhookers now? Ah. Hm.

#16 Posted by SamFo (1639 posts) -

oh man, poor squarespace.

#17 Posted by Fattony12000 (7927 posts) -

Heh.

#18 Posted by Humanity (11423 posts) -

I like that sites layout, it's super clean, although there's not much on it so maybe that's why.

#19 Posted by joshwent (2729 posts) -

Good for them. Although all I can think of when trying to read that page is Dave's creepy half-laugh. Awesome to see they can keep their sense of humor in a risky new venture.

#20 Posted by Morningstar (2321 posts) -

Good luck and all that.

#21 Posted by alternate (2789 posts) -

more like a modernised Wordpress

#22 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (900 posts) -

This is absolutely terrific to see. Dave's a great guy and a talented-ass designer; I'll definitely check this out on occasion. Best of luck to you, duder.

#23 Posted by GaspoweR (4094 posts) -

more like a modernised Wordpress

Yup, that's what I got it from it as well. Plus it's powered by Django...which this site no longer uses. ;_;

#24 Posted by Benny (2000 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@alternate said:

more like a modernised Wordpress

Yup, that's what I got it from it as well. Plus it's powered by Django...which this site no longer uses. ;_;

It looks like a similar content delivery system to what Giant Bomb and comic vine use (they did build it after all). It's less to do with the front end of websites and more the inner workings sorta like wordpress. Amazes me that many sites out there are still manually editing the HTML of pages to post articles and stuff, what is this the seventies?!

#25 Edited by Chaser324 (7058 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@alternate said:

more like a modernised Wordpress

Yup, that's what I got it from it as well. Plus it's powered by Django...which this site no longer uses. ;_;

It seems like it's maybe a bit more of an open CMS than WordPress. In my experience, WP works well for simpler content management (blog, etc.), but it gets a bit difficult to work with when you try to use it to manage a lot of complex data, especially if you try to have a lot of relationships and connections within your data.

Moderator
#26 Posted by Sinusoidal (2200 posts) -
@benny said:

It looks like a similar content delivery system to what Giant Bomb and comic vine use (they did build it after all). It's less to do with the front end of websites and more the inner workings sorta like wordpress. Amazes me that many sites out there are still manually editing the HTML of pages to post articles and stuff, what is this the seventies?!

Hey, I can still sling together an HTML file if need be!

This sounds like a business oriented Facebook. It's a crowded market. I would wish Dave all the luck in the world, but I selfishly hope that he fails and returns to Giant Bomb. Brad's a great guy, but that most recent flight sim quick look just wasn't quite the same without Snider.

#27 Posted by GaspoweR (4094 posts) -

@sinusoidal: Part of the reason too why he was drawn to do that project was because he was working with Django again and it pretty much shows from what he said yesterday on Twitter:

I think he was probably not happy with the change of having to scrap Django in GB and Comic Vine even though he didn't mention it in his blog months ago.

#28 Posted by Dalai (7765 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@sinusoidal: Part of the reason too why he was drawn to do that project was because he was working with Django again and it pretty much shows from what he said yesterday on Twitter:

I think he was probably not happy with the change of having to scrap Django in GB and Comic Vine even though he didn't mention it in his blog months ago.

So does this mean he's now Django Unchained?

#29 Posted by super2j (2060 posts) -

@dalai said:

@gaspower said:

@sinusoidal: Part of the reason too why he was drawn to do that project was because he was working with Django again and it pretty much shows from what he said yesterday on Twitter:

I think he was probably not happy with the change of having to scrap Django in GB and Comic Vine even though he didn't mention it in his blog months ago.

So does this mean he's now Django Unchained?

I was waiting for that to happen. You are now on "the list".

#30 Posted by DonPixel (2737 posts) -
#31 Edited by Itwongo (1445 posts) -

Signed up.

#32 Posted by Benny (2000 posts) -

@super2j said:

@dalai said:

@gaspower said:

@sinusoidal: Part of the reason too why he was drawn to do that project was because he was working with Django again and it pretty much shows from what he said yesterday on Twitter:

I think he was probably not happy with the change of having to scrap Django in GB and Comic Vine even though he didn't mention it in his blog months ago.

So does this mean he's now Django Unchained?

I was waiting for that to happen. You are now on "the list".

YA HEAR THAT? YOU'RE ON HIS SHIT-LIST!

#33 Posted by coaxmetal (1714 posts) -

Django is fantastic, I use it at work. I can imagine being pretty upset at having to switch to PHP.

#34 Posted by Dalai (7765 posts) -

@benny said:

@super2j said:

@dalai said:

@gaspower said:

@sinusoidal: Part of the reason too why he was drawn to do that project was because he was working with Django again and it pretty much shows from what he said yesterday on Twitter:

I think he was probably not happy with the change of having to scrap Django in GB and Comic Vine even though he didn't mention it in his blog months ago.

So does this mean he's now Django Unchained?

I was waiting for that to happen. You are now on "the list".

YA HEAR THAT? YOU'RE ON HIS SHIT-LIST!

Great, I'll have to change the locks on my house again.

#35 Posted by Fallen189 (5312 posts) -

It looks like a website I guess

#36 Posted by TooWalrus (13323 posts) -

Maybe someday the Bombcast will run advertisements for Webhook.

#37 Posted by super2j (2060 posts) -

@dalai said:

@benny said:

@super2j said:

@dalai said:

@gaspower said:

@sinusoidal: Part of the reason too why he was drawn to do that project was because he was working with Django again and it pretty much shows from what he said yesterday on Twitter:

I think he was probably not happy with the change of having to scrap Django in GB and Comic Vine even though he didn't mention it in his blog months ago.

So does this mean he's now Django Unchained?

I was waiting for that to happen. You are now on "the list".

YA HEAR THAT? YOU'RE ON HIS SHIT-LIST!

Great, I'll have to change the locks on my house again.

Who said anything about being on my shit-list. I filed him under funny/wise guys.

#38 Posted by csl316 (10666 posts) -

Coolness, good luck to David and crew.

#39 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Cool. something like this is just what I'm looking for to start a blog of sorts. Though.. I've been messing with Squarespace for a couple months and really like it, so they'll have some convincing to do. If it's more configurable/customizable than squarespace I'll be sold.

#40 Posted by Bollard (6334 posts) -

The image on the side thing, that's different.

#41 Posted by GaspoweR (4094 posts) -

@super2j said:

@dalai said:

@benny said:

@super2j said:

@dalai said:

@gaspower said:

@sinusoidal: Part of the reason too why he was drawn to do that project was because he was working with Django again and it pretty much shows from what he said yesterday on Twitter:

I think he was probably not happy with the change of having to scrap Django in GB and Comic Vine even though he didn't mention it in his blog months ago.

So does this mean he's now Django Unchained?

I was waiting for that to happen. You are now on "the list".

YA HEAR THAT? YOU'RE ON HIS SHIT-LIST!

Great, I'll have to change the locks on my house again.

Who said anything about being on my shit-list. I filed him under funny/wise guys.

Don't believe him! That's code for "I know where you live and I'm going to end you!"

#42 Posted by Chaser324 (7058 posts) -

Django is fantastic, I use it at work. I can imagine being pretty upset at having to switch to PHP.

To be fair, Symfony (what the new GB is built on) is a pretty decent framework as well. I'll agree though, switching over from the language and framework that you're accustomed to can be a bit of a pain.

Moderator
#43 Posted by coaxmetal (1714 posts) -

@riboflavin said:

Django is fantastic, I use it at work. I can imagine being pretty upset at having to switch to PHP.

To be fair, Symfony (what the new GB is built on) is a pretty decent framework as well. I'll agree though, switching over from the language and framework that you're accustomed to can be a bit of a pain.

yeah i've heard symfony is ok, supposedly it is meant to be like django. But it is still in PHP which is pretty terrible.