• 83 results
#1 Edited by sub_o (913 posts) -

Guys, do you still remember Hardcore Dave? No, not Dave 'Abominable' Lang, but Dave Snider.

He just started a Kickstarter for his Webhook project, you can view it here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1749618880/webhook

And here's his pitch video.

The goal is $20,000. And no, there's no lunch option with Dave, nor is there any woodworking session with him. Anyway, take a look at it, and donate if you're interested in it.

PS: Ian and Mike Horn are also working together with him.

#2 Posted by GiantLizardKing (559 posts) -

Looks slick. Dave is hardcore indeed.

#3 Posted by dudeglove (8274 posts) -

does it drink a lot and get scared of skeletons?

#4 Edited by Humanity (10065 posts) -

Well I'm ...hooked!

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

Chaotic Good!

Ian cameo!

Best Original Music!

#6 Edited by ejiehi (123 posts) -

Ian looks like he's gonna wreck a fool.

#7 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

That's Mike Horn? For some reason I pictured him pale white and scrawny.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

$5.3k already. Good stuff to Dave.

#9 Posted by TurboMan (7726 posts) -

Hoping this proves successful for Dave & the gang.

#10 Edited by Lanechanger (556 posts) -

Omg, we need to tell small business man about this immediately! Good bye square space hello webhook!

Anyone else feel the last backer reward is a bit of a jump? From $192+ on the 2nd last reward to $5k on the last one.

#11 Posted by AMyggen (3635 posts) -

Ian is turning into Gaben with that beard and hair!

Also, this'll get funded fast. Seems like a good idea, and no doubt a lot of GB fans will contribute because of the Dave factor. I'm not gonna put any money towards a Kickstarter, but I would've invested some money in it given the chance. They'll probably sell this in a few years and make a ton of money, seems like Dave is on a 3ish years cycle with that stuff.

#12 Posted by Ben_H (3430 posts) -

Ian looks like a proper backend developer, complete with neckbeard.

#13 Posted by dudeglove (8274 posts) -

As someone who sort of works tangentially with this stuff, my experience of content management systems is that they mostly look and work like total ass. None of Dave's pitch seems hugely revolutionary - not that it needs to be - but if he's helping streamline CMS, even in just small ways like a user-friendlier interface or live updates, it would make my job way easier.

#14 Posted by Gaff (1883 posts) -

Omg, we need to tell small business man about this immediately! Good bye square space hello webhook!

Anyone else feel the last backer reward is a bit of a jump? From $192+ on the 2nd last reward to $5k on the last one.

I think it could be explained by accounting for small to medium "professional" sites, that can probably afford their own hosting? Take note that one of the benefits is getting "your logo on the site and newsletters". Feels kind of weird for a Kickstarter, but then again, I trust Dave.

Also, does this mean Tested will get its wiki?

#15 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

I don't understand what he's saying but cool. Hope it makes him lots of money.

#16 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

I just gave $10,000. Come on guys, time to ball out!

#17 Posted by AlexW00d (6435 posts) -

@animasta said:

That's Mike Horn? For some reason I pictured him pale white and scrawny.

Racist.

#18 Posted by Alyssia (341 posts) -

Proud to be a backer. Let's get this funded.

#19 Posted by Nux (2420 posts) -

I know nothing about web design but I will back this just to support Dave.

#20 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -

Ian's beard is badass.

#21 Edited by notdavid (842 posts) -
Snider doing his best Good Will Hunting impression.

#22 Edited by flasaltine (1703 posts) -

Dave Snider was always known for being a web hooker.

#23 Posted by Evilsbane (4738 posts) -

That is awesome hope this is a huge success, Snider is indeed Hardcore.

#24 Posted by Sniipe (114 posts) -

I am disappointed that this is not an endless swinger through the varied locales of the Internet.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

So, uh.....can somebody explain what this is?

#26 Posted by joey (987 posts) -

So, uh.....can somebody explain what this is?

it helps you make more internet

#27 Posted by Corevi (4849 posts) -

i would love to go all in on this, but the no self hosting is kind of a deal breaker

#28 Edited by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

@corruptedevil said:

i would love to go all in on this, but the no self hosting is kind of a deal breaker

No self-hosting... yet?

Can I self-host Webhook

No, but we get this question a lot and obviously want to provide it. Honest truth? We'd like to hire another engineer first. That way we can dedicate a resource to making it as good as our hosted solution. It's just not as simple as pushing to an S3 bucket.

EDIT: Who knows, they have some really strong momentum going so they might reach a point where the money becomes feasible.

#29 Posted by Corevi (4849 posts) -

@starvinggamer: fair enough, but 192$ is a lot for something you don't know you can use

#30 Posted by HammondofTexas (912 posts) -

Oh you beat me by 1 minute in starting a thread about this! Long live Dave!

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12109 posts) -

The web hook sounds like a weapon Dave would use in a D&D campaign. Like, a hook that cast web whenever you hit someone with it.

#32 Posted by csl316 (9436 posts) -

I don't need a website at the moment. But still, here's my reaction:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/01/tumblr_mz4evdxUmU1qewacoo1_500.gif

#33 Edited by MosaicM80 (239 posts) -

Yup, watched the video and still don't really know what the hell he was talking about since I'm not into designing websites. Still gave some money though since Dave's a good guy and fellow duder!

#34 Posted by LTSmash (659 posts) -

@notdavid said:
Snider doing his best Good Will Hunting impression.

This image is just begging to be photoshopped to show Dave drawing something foul with Ian looking on in approval.

#35 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Thanks for the support duders!

#36 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I'll chip in $10. It's not a product for me but I'd like to see it succeed. $20,000 isn't much for a kickstarter though, I bet it'll surpass that amount in no time.

#37 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I hope he can make that goal, I think this is a really strong project.

#38 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

wasn't this sort of thing in the works for giantbomb a while back? i could have sworn during one of the old radio shows, the ability to let users create like custom sites very simply was touted as a feature.

regardless, that platform he's building looks amazing, and i hope they succeed. could be a real breakthrough for web design.

#39 Posted by Splodge (1950 posts) -

Nearly halfway funded already! GO SNIDE GO

#40 Edited by BisonHero (7036 posts) -

@mrfluke: Hey man, a LOT of things got said on those radio shows. By which I mean "a lot of pie in the sky ideas".

Come to think of it, though, they've barely done those since the move to CBSi (or more accurately, I think they just haven't done one since Dave left). They did the Puppy Chat with Rorie that was sorta maybe a similar thing, but didn't take call-ins and it was on the set instead of in the podcast room.

#41 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

@mrfluke: Hey man, a LOT of things got said on those radio shows. By which I mean "a lot of pie in the sky ideas".

Come to think of it, though, they've barely done those since the move to CBSi (or more accurately, I think they just haven't done one since Dave left). They did the Puppy Chat with Rorie that was sorta maybe a similar thing, but didn't take call-ins and it was on the set instead of in the podcast room.

Ha!, very true, good to see this one actually is becoming a thing in some form though.

and yea, its been like over a year and more id say since the last one, guess stuff like the premium Q and A, The staff's tumblrs, and Pax questions took over the need for a dedicated show.

#42 Posted by Savage (355 posts) -

I'm in for the DUDER tier. Best of luck to Dave, Mike, and Ian!

#43 Edited by AngriGhandi (792 posts) -

The image for step 4 on "how does it work" should say "your," not "you're."

(I mention this because I care)

#44 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

wasn't this sort of thing in the works for giantbomb a while back? i could have sworn during one of the old radio shows, the ability to let users create like custom sites very simply was touted as a feature.

regardless, that platform he's building looks amazing, and i hope they succeed. could be a real breakthrough for web design.

We did want to build game-focused mini-sites that users ran. We planned on setting them up ourselves, so it wasn't a platform per se. Getting the company sold then having to rebuild the sites from scratch kind of slowed that initiative down.

I have always wanted to build something like Webhook though and talked to just about any engineer that would listen over the past decade. It's mostly come about from my own ineptness when it comes to backend code. I just wanted to focus on the front-end part of the site.

#45 Posted by MrMazz (1030 posts) -

I don't totally understand what this is, it's CMS for CMS...kind of but Kicking in 20 bucks is worth it just to help Dave hopefully make this thing a ting.

#46 Posted by solus_impar (81 posts) -

Backed. Good luck duders!

#47 Posted by futurstock (154 posts) -

ian's beard, good god man.

#48 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

I'll drop 5 bucks because money is tight, but I'll totally use this for my portfolio once I get some income.

#49 Posted by Chango (541 posts) -

Congrats, Dave, Ian, and Mike! This sounds really cool. I should, like, have a proper website to host my photography and writing, other than a just a Tumblr.

#50 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -

So this is what Dave's been up to, I like the idea, hope it takes off!