Dawn of War 2 is 19.99 on Steam, but I've never played an RTS.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bruce

I really would like a new game -- on the cheap -- and I noticed that Dawn of War 2 is only 19.99 on Steam. However, I've never played an RTS before; I must say though, I am an old Diablo 2 guy, so loot-whoring interests me. What do you guys think, should I pick this up?

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By raddevon
@Bruce: The game is a pretty good mix of RTS and Diablo-style hack-and-slash. It doesn't have quite the volume of loot as Diablo, but that mechanic is satisfying in very much the same way. I have played lots of RTS games but suck at them. I don't have nearly as much trouble with DoW 2 because it is much lighter on the micro-management aspect which can get overwhelming. It's certainly worth $20 and should be a good way to ease yourself into the genre. Go for it!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

The complete Civ 4 collection is available for $20 through Friday, October 16th.  That includes Civ 4 and the 3 expansions for $20 bones.  I bought the single Civ 4 game from Direct2Drive for $5 because I kept waiting for this deal, but was running out of time on the D2D sale so I grabbed it in the last two days of the sale.  If you are interested in a strategy game, this is a great one to get.  I don't know much about Dawn of War 2 other than it is supposed to be more friendly than Dawn of War 1, which is more traditional in it's gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with Starcraft and it was a wise choice, but RTS is a lot different now a days.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake
@PenguinDust said:

" The complete Civ 4 collection is available for $20 through Friday, October 16th.  That includes Civ 4 and the 3 expansions for $20 bones.  I bought the single Civ 4 game from Direct2Drive for $5 because I kept waiting for this deal, but was running out of time on the D2D sale so I grabbed it in the last two days of the sale.  If you are interested in a strategy game, this is a great one to get.  I don't know much about Dawn of War 2 other than it is supposed to be more friendly than Dawn of War 1, which is more traditional in it's gameplay. "

Go for Civ 4. It's a fantastic turn-based strategy game if that's your thing. In fact, it's THE turn-based strategy game.
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Driadon
@Bruce: It's more of a tactical RPG then a strategy game, I've found. Loot wise, it's consistent, usually giving a few pieces per mission with some good variance in stats. If you're still curious, go check out the demo.
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FCKSNAP

I wouldn't call it an RTS really. It leans pretty close to DOTA clone territory, but even then not quite.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hamst3r

I wouldn't pick Dawn of War 2 as your first RTS. I'd go with Supreme Commander, Starcraft or Command and Conquer (Red Alert 2 or 3, or C&C 3, imo).

After you've done some of those real core type RTS games, then get into stuff like Dawn of War, Company of Heroes and World in Conflict.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer

If you are interested in some RTS gaming, you should start way back with titles like Age of the Empires 2 and Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness,and Warcraft 3 : Reign of Chaos. Warcraft is more like an RPG+ RTS style of a game,and they are cheap now.

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By i69edUrGpa

Whatever you do, don't buy company of heroes
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Driadon
@i69edUrGpa said:
" Whatever you do, don't buy company of heroes "
And why would you go discrediting such an amazing game without giving reason as to why?
i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By i69edUrGpa
@Driadon:
Just giving my opinion sir, no need for you to have your grandparents graves robbed....I mean...no need for you to become so furious.... : )
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Driadon
@i69edUrGpa: Not furious, I'm just curious
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

I would hesitate to call the SP campaign an RTS at all, there are some small unit tactics (cover, arcs of fire, unit abilities), but no real strategy to worry about.  It would be an excellent introduction the the RTS genre though; you can't possibly be overwhelmed by it and it might make you willing to check out something a little more involved.

Edit:  To say that Company of Heroes is a phenomenal RTS and the obvious natural progression from DoW2 if you enjoy it.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Bruce: Dawn of War 2 is definitely not a traditional RTS, well not the single player experience anyways. Your going to dealing with a small group of persistant units that level up and get skills and stuff, Its really managable and super addictive, especially when you start with all that loot business and your pimping out your units with crazy weapons and special equipment that unlocks different skills like airstrikes or jetpacks and the like, its also great when you get those upgrade points and unlock new weapon types like the heavy machinegun + no setup time =P Its sick!

The multiplayer is the style of a traditional rts, except without building management, your still fighting for resources and using them to build units and junk but your going to get access to more unit types and its going to require some micromanagement, If you have a friend to walk you through it and learn the basics somewhat it wont be tricky to get good at it. The multiplayer is definitely one of the best RTS games for introducing you to the genre, its simplified in a lot of good ways while still having the challenge to keep you coming back.

I would also check out Rise of Nations and/or Rise of Legends, theyre really good rts games and probably on the super cheap on steam since theyre getting oldish these days.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By adam_grif

Company of Heroes is a fantastic RTS, and it's pretty easy to get into even for a non-RTS player.

Company of Heroes was made by the same people as Dawn of War 2, but it's far, far superior.

TL;DR - BUY COMPANY OF HEROES IMMEDIATELY.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

Here's Dawn of War II in a nutshell, Bruce: 

Take an RTS with all the base-building and tons of unit types to build 

Take out all the base-building 

Add in control points and tickets ala Battlefield 2 (it's actually more like Company of Heroes' main gameplay mode, which was inspired by Battlefield 2's Conquest mode) 

You have Dawn of War II. 

By the way, I proudly say this with my Dawn of War II shirt on.  = D  For $20, it's a fucking steal, man.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Black_Raven

The single player campaign doesn't really involve much strategy, and for me it got kinda boring after awhile, the multiplayer is great though and extremely fast paced, I've had matches last just over 10 minutes. It's definitely worth $20 and if you enjoy it you should also check out company of heroes, which plays a lot like DoW2, personally I think CoH is the better game.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruce

Hm, good points.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By unclejohnny79

its a great game, the multiplayer is fantastic and exciting and the new game mode "the last stand" is reallly fun, the campaign is also pretty good, its not a regular rts but its no rpg either