• 66 results
#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Just watched the latest X-Men movie, and I friggin' loved it. It's everything I want a X-Men movie to be. Grand, crazy, and super powerful. I loved the first two movies. The 3rd one not so much. I was so *meh* about it, I didn't bother to watch the reboot in the cinemas.

Thanks to the positive feedback, and my affinity for the Sentinels, which were a prominent part of the beloved 90's cartoon show, I gave this one a shot. Jep, this might be the greatest retcon of all times. Bryan Singer fixed it all up nice and smooth. Can't wait for X-Men: Apocalypse.

I guess only the upcoming Matrix movie could potentially be a greater retcon, if they pull it off (I doubt it). Anyways, if you haven't, and don't intend to already, and superhero flicks are in your wheelhouse, you owe it to yourselves to go watch it. It's awesome. 'Til then, I'll leave you with a trailer.

#2 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

I think I actually liked First Class more than any of the other X-Men movies. This looks good though! Also I'm partial to the Johnny Gat retcon, but we'll see.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10556 posts) -

Yeah, it's a really great movie. First Class is still my favorite (mostly because it has more Fassbender in it than this one), but it's a great movie.

But, I don't understand one thing. How was Xavier alive in the future? Didn't he get DISINTEGRATED in The Last Stand?

#4 Edited by TheHT (10930 posts) -

@mooseymcman: At the end of Last Stand they reveal that he had transferred his mind and such over to another person's body. Someone comatose or something like that. Whether that's what they go with or not, or how he still looks like Patrick Stewart, I dunno.

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10556 posts) -

@theht: What? I don't remember that at all!

#6 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

The Quicksilver scene was great. So great, I really want a Flash movie now. The trailer for the upcoming TV show doesn't look half-bad at least.

#7 Posted by KaneRobot (1435 posts) -

@theht: What? I don't remember that at all!

Post credits scene in Last Stand.

#8 Posted by Genfuyung (226 posts) -

Where do you guys think the next movies will take place? Will there be 2 series of movies now? One in the "past" and one in the "present"? It just seems like they've exchanged one mess for another.

#9 Posted by mlarrabee (2889 posts) -

I kept waiting for the rest of "Kashmir" to kick in but it never did.

#10 Edited by CorruptedEvil (1824 posts) -

@seppli: I have been excited for this since Barry appeared on Arrow.

#11 Posted by Flappy (2143 posts) -

I'm so glad that it doesn't suck.

#12 Posted by Wikitoups (782 posts) -

Didn't cyclopes died in the last stand too?

#13 Posted by CorruptedEvil (1824 posts) -

@wikitoups: Cyclops and Jean Grey both die so often it's easy to lose track.

#14 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@mooseymcman: The producer of the X-Men films said to basically forget about X-Men 3 and Origins Wolverine. So maybe those are being treated as non-canon. I'm on mobile so I can't correctly link my source so copy/paste it.

Source: http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/lauren-shuler-donner-retconning-x-men-last-stand-making-deadpool/

#15 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10556 posts) -

@awesomeusername: There's clips from X3 in Days of Future Past, so I doubt that's the case. (It makes sense in context).

#16 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@mooseymcman: Well I have no idea then since I haven't seen the movie yet. She says they "make it right" in DoFP though. Fox dun goofed with the X-Men movie timeline.

#17 Edited by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

Did the Rogue scenes get cut in the final product?

EDIT: I typoed! fixed!

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@solh0und: Rogue's evil twin Rouge from Sonic showed up and stole the scenes. But yeah, reasonably high billing for no scenes whatsoever is odd.

#19 Posted by Random45 (1065 posts) -

So what was the retcon? I have no intention of seeing the movie, but I am curious.

#20 Edited by zombie2011 (4969 posts) -

I liked it a lot, not as much as The Wolverine, but i think it's probably the seconds best in the series.

#21 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -
#22 Posted by Random45 (1065 posts) -
#23 Posted by Voxus (322 posts) -

@random45: Young Prof X mind read Wolverine's mind and saw the events that had transpired in the future. Presumably, he used that knowledge to prevent the majority of the events of X3. Namely Jean Gray and Scott Summers dying. Also, Rogue and Icemen are together in that timeline.

It's a pretty crazy twist to the X-Men plotline.

#24 Posted by MEATBALL (3087 posts) -

It kind of looks like all of the things I dislike most about X-Men.

#25 Posted by TheMathlete (322 posts) -

I thought it was a pretty great movie, but not as good as First Class. I really liked First Class and probably rank it as the best of the X-men movies. 2 might still be my favorite but I haven't seen it in awhile.

#26 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

@seppli said:

I guess only the upcoming Matrix movie could potentially be a greater retcon, if they pull it off (I doubt it).

wat

#27 Posted by Hyuzen (445 posts) -

Yeah even though they never explain how Kitty Pryde can send minds into the past (maybe both time and space are malleable for her?), the big unanswered question is how the heck Xavier is back, especially when they make reference to other events from the third X-men movie.

I know about the X3 post credits thing but that doesn't explain his body being back.

I enjoyed the movie, but it wasn't as good as First Class. it sort of didn't even feel like a super hero movie, which is kind of interesting to do a time travel movie and just throw in some mutants.

#28 Edited by Quarters (1633 posts) -

It was okay. I liked the retcon(even though there are still continuity issues, hello future Wolverine's adamanitum claws), but I feel the movie itself was slow, kind of wasted the future stuff, and was seriously lacking in good character work. Plus, Wolverine felt like he was kind of useless in the past except for talking to a few people here and there. Also, I felt like it was more of the X3 Wolverine than the one in his last standalone movie. As a whole, I think First Class and The Wolverine are just straight up better made movies.

#29 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -
#30 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

It's my understanding that X-Men die and come back enough to make Akira Toriyama look like he uses that trope sparingly, so maybe the director and scriptwriters were just like "Fuck it, skip the middleman, they're back and don't worry about how!"

@seppli You said you skipped the "reboot", do you mean Origins Wolverine, Much Better Wolverine, or First Class? Because First Class actually was a really good movie that you should see if you like X-Men this much.

#31 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@seppli You said you skipped the "reboot", do you mean Origins Wolverine, Much Better Wolverine, or First Class? Because First Class actually was a really good movie that you should see if you like X-Men this much.

I seen First Class after the fact, just not on the silverscreen. It was pretty cool, but I missed all the classic characters I knew so well from the 90s cartoon.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14587 posts) -

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.....there is a new Matrix Movie?

#33 Posted by bugbarbecue (47 posts) -

@demoskinos: whoa whoa whoa.... after the second and third matrix movies someone cares if there's a new matrix movie?

:)

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (14587 posts) -

@bugbarbecue: I'm not so much caring as much as I'm shocked at its existence considering how the last two movies went and the fact that the Matrix was a very "Early 00's thing" that I don't really think plays the same way to today's audience.

#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10556 posts) -

@bugbarbecue: I'm not so much caring as much as I'm shocked at its existence considering how the last two movies went and the fact that the Matrix was a very "Early 00's thing" that I don't really think plays the same way to today's audience.

Slow motion gunfights play, regardless of audience.

#36 Edited by Akyho (1586 posts) -

@seppli: So......after Xmen Last stand Xavier was atomised. Then went into the coma patient's body. So Xavier is in his body now.....except...he was still his old body paralysed waist down and all in the first version of the future. That dosnt make sense!

It make sense once they change the future! but not before! MASSIVE PLOT HOLE!

Also all of these.

http://www.slashfilm.com/five-big-continuity-issues-x-men-days-future-past/

I loved the film...but its a bit of a mess if you include the other films like you're supposed to.

#37 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3702 posts) -

@theht said:

I think I actually liked First Class more than any of the other X-Men movies. This looks good though! Also I'm partial to the Johnny Gat retcon, but we'll see.

As someone who also loved First Class, this film doesn't capitalize on the great characterizations and social commentary in that film. Days of Future Past is much more akin to the First and Second X-Men films, with somewhat flatter characterization that is further harmed by the fact that between the future and the past, everyone (aside from Wolverine) has to split their screen time. Don't get me wrong, the action is incredible in this film and it is a lot of fun, but as someone who loved the dynamic between Xavier and Magneto, in First Class, this film falls a little short, their relationship essentially stays at the point it was at the end of First Class.

#38 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

@akyho said:

@seppli: So......after Xmen Last stand Xavier was atomised. Then went into the coma patient's body. So Xavier is in his body now.....except...he was still his old body paralysed waist down and all in the first version of the future. That dosnt make sense!

Also all of these.

I loved the film...but its a bit of a mess if you include the other films like you're supposed to.

The only thing on that list that's a continuity thing is probably Xavier still needing a wheelchair. They basically explain the rest of the problems away in the blurbs anyways.

• Xavier transported 'himself' into another body.
  • The serum wasn't a cure, it just repressed the X-gene for a while.
  • Wolverine's claws in one hand didn't have adamantium after the events of The Wolverine, so they just coated it again. Not to mention all of the events of The Wolverine were already pretty irrelevant to Days of Future Past (as far as I know).
  • Kitty Pryde's abilities developed further over the decade or whatever since X3.
  • And the last one they admit isn't a continuity issue at all.

The only thing in all these movies that really bothers me (excluding most of Origins: Wolverine), is that they killed Darwin. YOU CAN'T KILL DARWIN THAT'S HIS WHOLE POWER.

#39 Posted by Akyho (1586 posts) -

@theht said:

@akyho said:

Also all of these.

The only thing on that list that's a continuity thing is probably Xavier still needing a wheelchair. They basically explain the rest of the problems away in the blurbs anyways.

• Xavier transported 'himself' into another body.
  • The serum wasn't a cure, it just repressed the X-gene for a while.
  • Wolverine's claws in one hand didn't have adamantium after the events of The Wolverine, so they just coated it again. Not to mention all of the events of The Wolverine were already pretty irrelevant to Days of Future Past (as far as I know).
  • Kitty Pryde's abilities developed further over the decade or whatever since X3.
  • And the last one they admit isn't a continuity issue at all.

The only thing in all these movies that really bothers me (excluding most of Origins: Wolverine), is that they killed Darwin. YOU CAN'T KILL DARWIN THAT'S HIS WHOLE POWER.

Yeah Xavier transported himself into another body. One that looks exactly like him and dosnt have functioning legs. Second to that even if its his identical twin brother...thats just bull shit.

Yes the stinger of Xmen 3 leaves you with going "oh Magneto still has his powers...."

You are only left to assume Wolverine got his claws Recoated.

Kitty pryde just gets weird time psychics cos she was originally the one who went back in time in the original comic. So its a shitty way to pay homage to that.

Also yes last one is nothing that wasn't a point.

There is alot of stuff. Its a good film but lots of flaws.

#40 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

It's only fitting for the continuity of the films to be just as crazy and fucked up as the comic books.

#41 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

@akyho: Yup, twin brother. They may seem silly to you (and some em are to me as well), but they aren't really continuity issues.

#42 Posted by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

A new Matrix movie?

#43 Posted by Omega (829 posts) -

I really liked Days of Future Past a lot. But the one thing that I don't get is:

Why did they need Mystique's powers to allow the sentinels to adapt to the other characters powers? I'm not the biggest comic fan in the world but I was pretty sure her power allows her to look like other people but not actually gain their abilities. It seems to me that Bishop is the one they should have been after.

Great movie but strange thing to over look.

#44 Posted by freakin9 (1102 posts) -

I thought the opening was fantastic, the "70's discover mutants" scene was done well. But everything else put me to sleep. Granted, Mystique doing her thing was generally always interesting, but the movie felt very obvious. And as someone that has been waiting for them to finally get some Sentinels in the X-Men movies even that was fairly underwhelming, even though I liked that opening scene, but I'm pretty sure the Sentinels weren't the highlight for me.

Star Trek I thought did it in a fresh way, where this movie seemed a bit safe and obvious.

I think I'd be happy to see a lot more Wolverine sequels, but wouldn't mind too much if the X-Men movies just went away.

#45 Edited by OurSin_360 (837 posts) -

@omega They just used her as a starting point where they unlocked the understanding of how all mutations worked. So it wasn't just giving her power to the sentinels. And rouge would be the one they really wanted, and seeing how she was dead they have got her too.

@mooseymcman said:

Yeah, it's a really great movie. First Class is still my favorite (mostly because it has more Fassbender in it than this one), but it's a great movie.

But, I don't understand one thing. How was Xavier alive in the future? Didn't he get DISINTEGRATED in The Last Stand?

*sigh* I wish they didn't show any footage of that "movie" so we could all just pretend it didn't happen and move on.

#46 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

Definitely my favorite X-Men movie so far. So damn good.

#47 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

I think I'd be happy to see a lot more Wolverine sequels, but wouldn't mind too much if the X-Men movies just went away.

I feel the exact opposite, but that might just stem from how much I'm not a Wolverine fan. Hugh Jackman is a perfect Wolverine.

#48 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

@quarters said:

It was okay. I liked the retcon(even though there are still continuity issues, hello future Wolverine's adamanitum claws), but I feel the movie itself was slow, kind of wasted the future stuff, and was seriously lacking in good character work. Plus, Wolverine felt like he was kind of useless in the past except for talking to a few people here and there. Also, I felt like it was more of the X3 Wolverine than the one in his last standalone movie. As a whole, I think First Class and The Wolverine are just straight up better made movies.

They show Stryker fishing Wolverine out of the river, remember?

#49 Posted by Fram (538 posts) -

@quarters said:

Except Stryker doesn't have yellow eyes.

#50 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -

@quarters said:

Except Stryker is totally Mystique in that scene, there's a flash of yellow eyes.

I don't think this movie was perfect, but as a convoluted way of crossing over the First Class cast with the rest of the X Men movies and making the events of X3 never happen in any form? GREAT. That last scene just put a big grin on my face when I realized where they were going. They probably could've done more with the future stuff though. It was weird having what were major characters in the original trilogy occupy less than 20 minutes of screen time. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are still pretty good as young Professor X and Magneto though, and I guess you could say I'm looking forward to whatever Apocalypse nonsense ends up happening.