• 66 results
#51 Edited by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@quarters said:

It was okay. I liked the retcon(even though there are still continuity issues, hello future Wolverine's adamanitum claws), but I feel the movie itself was slow, kind of wasted the future stuff, and was seriously lacking in good character work. Plus, Wolverine felt like he was kind of useless in the past except for talking to a few people here and there. Also, I felt like it was more of the X3 Wolverine than the one in his last standalone movie. As a whole, I think First Class and The Wolverine are just straight up better made movies.

They show Stryker fishing Wolverine out of the river, remember?

Except Stryker is totally Mystique in that scene, there's a flash of yellow eyes.

I don't think this movie was perfect, but as a convoluted way of crossing over the First Class cast with the rest of the X Men movies and making the events of X3 never happen in any form? GREAT. That last scene just put a big grin on my face when I realized where they were going. They probably could've done more with the future stuff though. It was weird having what were major characters in the original trilogy occupy less than 20 minutes of screen time. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are still pretty good as young Professor X and Magneto though, and I guess you could say I'm looking forward to whatever Apocalypse nonsense ends up happening.

I imagine that after wolverine lost his adamantium claws in The Wolverine, when he joins with professor x and magneto, Magneto probably is able to rebond adamantium to Wolverine's claws.

#52 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@fram said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@quarters said:

It was okay. I liked the retcon(even though there are still continuity issues, hello future Wolverine's adamanitum claws), but I feel the movie itself was slow, kind of wasted the future stuff, and was seriously lacking in good character work. Plus, Wolverine felt like he was kind of useless in the past except for talking to a few people here and there. Also, I felt like it was more of the X3 Wolverine than the one in his last standalone movie. As a whole, I think First Class and The Wolverine are just straight up better made movies.

They show Stryker fishing Wolverine out of the river, remember?

Except Stryker doesn't have yellow eyes.

Totally forgot about that. You're right. Now I'm confused as well.

Maybe they retconned Stryker to have magic changey eyes?

I think that's the most reasonable and hilarious explanation.

#53 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

Eh, it was alright. I'll agree with the people that preferred First Class. It was just kinda disappointing to see them committing the most basic time travel sins.

#54 Posted by Veektarius (4772 posts) -

I'll get invested in X-men again when Cyclops is leading the team again and not before.

#55 Edited by Hunter5024 (5615 posts) -

Goddammit it was a good movie.

#56 Posted by TheHT (11145 posts) -

I'll get invested in X-men again when Cyclops is leading the team again and not before.

Always really rubbed me rotten how they made Cyclops a little punk in those movies.

#57 Edited by sccdemir (86 posts) -

The number one thing that pulls me out of movies these days is unrealistic reactions and cheesy drama/acting. That's nothing to say about the quality of the movie of course but it kind of ruined the whole thing for me. Same thing with First Class and Godzilla. Otherwise DOFP is a hella entertaining movie on it's own right. Also Ellen Page.

#58 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1767 posts) -

@theht said:

@veektarius said:

Always really rubbed me rotten how they made Cyclops a little punk in those movies.

Agreed.

I was glad to see him at the end, even if he's still not acting like a leader but a constantly jealous & protective boyfriend.

#59 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3201 posts) -

I really enjoyed how Days of Future Past was just a giant FUCK YOU to whatever Last Stand and Brett Ratner did to the franchise. While albeit it wasn't my favorite film, that going to First Class it was a good stepping stone in setting that franchise in motion again especially with the teaser at the end. I really do hope they continue on with the First Class as I'd like to see how the more famous of the X-Men like Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey joined the team.

#60 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3201 posts) -

@akyho said:

@seppli: So......after Xmen Last stand Xavier was atomised. Then went into the coma patient's body. So Xavier is in his body now.....except...he was still his old body paralysed waist down and all in the first version of the future. That dosnt make sense!

It make sense once they change the future! but not before! MASSIVE PLOT HOLE!

Also all of these.

http://www.slashfilm.com/five-big-continuity-issues-x-men-days-future-past/

I loved the film...but its a bit of a mess if you include the other films like you're supposed to.

Well Xavier could of someway have gotten his body in-between Last Stand and this film but not quite before he captained the enterprise.

#61 Edited by Pr1mus (3873 posts) -

I liked it. It's entertaining and basically gives them a clean slate to start over in any direction they want, at least with the original cast.

My only real problem with the movie is that it feels like i've seen this movie 5 times already. How many more times can this be interesting to just have Professor X and Magneto team up to face a common enemy with Magneto taking the first chance he gets to turn things to his advantage and resume his world dominion plans?

All 5 movies with Charles and Eric have the same scenes, the same philosophical conversations about humans and mutants and X2 and this one in particular have about as much the same exact plot(minus the time travel of course) as can be.

They are fun movies for the most part, all really well made but it's starting to feel like an annual franchise. It's growing kind of stale.

In the end i still like X2 the best and First Class was thematically more interesting.

Also Jennifer Lawrence will never look as good as Rebecca Romijn as Mystique.

#62 Edited by TheHT (11145 posts) -

It was OK. Definitely felt like they were trying to get the whole series back on track. I mean, the story is basically one big do-over.

I couldn't help but think about how fucked the whole damn series is while watching it, compared to all the Marvel Studios stuff. Even though they're getting on track and looking to do the whole multiple movie arc thing, I've still got little confidence they'll turn out any better than OK.

#63 Posted by TheAcidSkull (369 posts) -

Man, after what feels like an eternity, I finally got the chance to see the movie and understand what the damn fuss was about. Going into this movie though, I kind of tried to be more open-minded rather than excited, because for one thing, I've learned that I can't always trust people online because sometimes things can be blown out of proportions(This is the part where you say "No shit sherlock"), and these X-men movies are largely inconsistent in quality. The first X-men movie was decent, the second one was awesome, the third was horrible, Origins was bad, First class was good, and so on. So having seen this movies, I can safely say the it's one of the most well crafted of the superhero movies, even though it isn't my favorite.( Personal view by the way, doesn't affect the score of the flick).

Before moving on too the characters and performances I'd really like to say a few words about the story itself. Like I said, the X-men franchise or movies has been largely inconsistent, not only quality, but also in continuity as well, so it's understandable that the writers and fox would want to explore new possibilities while not being dragged down by the flaws of the previous installments. In short, Days of Future Past is kinda like a huge retcon, which basically wipes the whole plate clean. From one point of view, this is kinda sad, considering the good aspects of the series, but from another perspective, it's the logical and the better direction, because lets be honest, there has been a lot more bad than good from the X-men movies. This is a tricky job, because tampering with the story-line through time travel(which is basically one huge paradox machine) may result in something horribly stupid or ridiculous, yet Days of Future Past manages to pull this off with minimal continuity errors( but they are still present, which I will explain later on).

Brian Singer really outdid himself here, it's a bit hard to make something like this work and quite honestly it takes a lot of balls to basically irradiate 5 movies.Yet somehow we still get a compelling story with great moments and character development. The movie knows what it is, and it's main goal isn't trying to retcon everything, not at all, it in fact tells it's own tale while at the same time accomplishing the secondary with slight,but mostly negligible gripes. The whole goal of the plot is a pretty simple one but as expected is spirals out of control and grows into something much more complicated and awesome. Moreover, the movie has a pretty good tone as well, it creates an solid atmosphere and maintains it without losing sight of what it wanted to show us. It has great social commentary and some honestly disturbing and brutal scenes, but even so it still manages to somehow make you laugh and smile when the time is appropriate without compromising the general tone of the whole film.

The characters and the developments is where the movie truly stands out. Every single cast member does and outstanding job, and I have to make a shout out to Jackman for somehow reinventing wolverine and managing to show us a different aspect of the character. It really shows us that the guy isn't really limited even when portraying a familiar protagonist. But make no mistake, for thous of you who thought this movie was going to be about wolverine, you are all wrong. Wolverine is the link which combines these two timelines and they give a very good reason for that, but he is a supporting character(a great one by the way), and this movie is strictly about Charles Xavier and his progression into the man who many mutants admire and love. James McAvoy does a terrific job as Charles and he gives us one of the most emotional scenes in the movie. And how can this review be complete without the mention of Michael Fassbender, who portrays a great young and brash magneto who will do mostly anything for his cause. Though I have to admit that the way Mags was written was a bit off in all honesty, I mean, he was kind of quick to make the decision about killing Raven, I mean seriously, I did not see that coming and I honestly felt it was a bit...rushed. Considering the fact that at a time Raven and Erick were close, I would have liked it better if there was more of a build up towards Erick's choice, but I suppose the movie did teach Magneto a lesson so...M'kay. Just saying Though. Oh and I nearly forgot, Quicksilver was absolutely badass here. Sure he was kind of a comic relief kind of guy, which is to be expected as Pietro has always been a snarky smartass, but he really proved to be a great addition to the movie and took part in one of the best and most unique action sequences , just wished they'd show more of him. I mean, he is kind of really powerful, so I'm sure they could have used him for something else, but eh, oh well.

Now, because I don't want to finish on a bad NOTE, I'll kind of get the continuity errors out of the way, because, these things kind of really REALLY bothered me. Sure some were easily forgivable, others were kind of important and needed to be addressed:

• Character ages - The whole mutant exterminating is taking place in the distant future, and this is extremely visible not only in the technology but also in the fact that wolverine had aged. The guy who lives forever showed signs of aging, so tell me, why were Bobby, Colossus and Kitty still relatively young, sure the actors AGED, but really, they could have made it a BIT more visible. (Minor Gripe)
  • Wolverines Bone claws - Before the retcon, the whole terrible future was still WITHIN the original timeline, so why didn't wolverine have Bone claws? Maybe he healed? There was no answer to this.(Minor Gripe)
  • Charles Xavier- Didn't he die by disintegration? How the F*ck did he come back? This kind of important to know dammit.(Major Gripe)
  • Kitty's Powers - When did she have the ability to allow people to travel back in time mentally? Look I KNOW people will hit me with the "This is the future, so we don't know what happened in between"excuse but it doesn't change the fact that it would have been nice if they mentioned a particular reason. (Minor Gripe)

However, for all my complaining which probably pissed most of you off( good, get angry!), these can still be mostly ignored and it doesn't really make the movie any less enjoyable, because aside from the fact that Xavier survived through unknown means, the rest of these holes can be filled through some thought.

And last but not least, lets talk about the action, which was for the most part pretty damn entertaining. Since the Quicksilver scene was mentioned, I'll just movie straight to the sentinels. I don't think I remember the last time some specific villain gave off such a presence of evil and danger. The sentinels aren't exactly villains either, considering they don't have personalities, but these exterminators really gave off an impression of death and destruction, because they were essentially invulnerable. No matter how hard the mutants fought these creatures still managed to gain the upper hand, considering that when you killed one, two more took it's place. And the uniformity helps too, because they aren't really separate entities, they are the face of annihilation, which is exactly what the sentinels(I assume) invoked in the comics, and I am very glad the movie managed to capture that. So now take everything I've just said, add the fact that these monsters can mimic mutant powers, and put the against a couple of X-men, and you have yourself an awesome action sequence. A special nod to blinks powers too, because the portal 2-type battle was really amazing.

My conclusion, or Verdict would be that while Days of Future past isn't my favorite superhero movie,it's definitely a great one. It took me a bit of time to come to this conclusion, but Brian singer managed to craft a great tale while simultaneously creating a new path for the franchise, which isn't easy to do. Overall, I give this movie a 9/10.

It was just kinda disappointing to see them committing the most basic time travel sins.

Yeah, but there is no time travel story without a Paradox, I thought they were kind of negligible.

#64 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

@theacidskull: Nah, there are definitely various ways of avoiding the common paradox. The most basic one (which i consider a semi cop out, but it's still better) is your usual multiple universes/timelines. Then there are those that are cyclic, as in the change is already accounted for, thus doesn't create a paradox (heck Terminator did it eventually). You can also simply handle the paradox more subtly, distancing yourself enough from it where it is not so in your face and changes smaller. And there are more.

But personally i felt the end was a bit comical as ironic as it sounds. With the pure havoc, destruction and display of power demonstrated by the mutants towards the end a simple gesture of mercy prevents the sentinel program, HA yea right my left nut it does, if anything Magnetos antics would have accelerated it to an absurd degree regardless. Plus you have the fact that as history is being changed the future still remains static even tho the adjustment of such significant variables during the course of the movie would have already dictated an ongoing change in the future immediately and not some single magical moment at the end.

It's just that as someone who likes to read a bit of science fiction this kind of stuff tends to irk me more then others. Pay it no mind.

#65 Posted by TheAcidSkull (369 posts) -

@theacidskull: Nah, there are definitely various ways of avoiding the common paradox. The most basic one (which i consider a semi cop out, but it's still better) is your usual multiple universes/timelines. Then there are those that are cyclic, as in the change is already accounted for, thus doesn't create a paradox (heck Terminator did it eventually). You can also simply handle the paradox more subtly, distancing yourself enough from it where it is not so in your face and changes smaller. And there are more.

But personally i felt the end was a bit comical as ironic as it sounds. With the pure havoc, destruction and display of power demonstrated by the mutants towards the end a simple gesture of mercy prevents the sentinel program, HA yea right my left nut it does, if anything Magnetos antics would have accelerated it to an absurd degree regardless. Plus you have the fact that as history is being changed the future still remains static even tho the adjustment of such significant variables during the course of the movie would have already dictated an ongoing change in the future immediately and not some single magical moment at the end.

It's just that as someone who likes to read a bit of science fiction this kind of stuff tends to irk me more then others. Pay it no mind.

Well what you say is definitely valid, I can't deny that, but it's a comic book movie and there is bound to be some cheesiness here and there, hence why a plea of mercy and kindness was stronger than acts of destruction. Obviously in the real world things would have gone down much differently.

Also, I had the same thought about the future not being altered even though Magneto's actions contradicted how things usually went down, but then i considered Magneto was still the same person in his own timeline, so the older one was much more keen on going over to the good side considering that a lot of his actions actually helped set things into motion, it's just the kind of thing that isn't completely clear until it sinks in.

As for the Paradoxes, if they went with the alternative universe excuse, wouldn't that imply that they'd have basically abandoned their own universe in order to integrate themselves into a new one? Which would mean they realistically were't saving anyone from their own dimension/ Universe? Bah, time travel is fucking confusing as shit lol :P, but there is a huge chance that I misunderstood the point you were trying to make, and if it's so, I'm sorry.

#66 Posted by billymagnum (800 posts) -

this was a good movie. i am really enjoying this generation of xmen movies. that being said, i remember liking first class more. while this one was better than most middle sequels, in retrospect, i can see how much of it was just there to set up the third movie. again, i enjoyed it and im looking forward to the next one. i was just expecting a little bit more of an impact.

eh maybe im just jaded

#67 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

What I find interesting about how Days of Future Past plays out is that is a further "alternate take" on how the whole thing got started which is what made X-Men First Class so damn good. We already know that Charles is going to work to save the humans. We already know that Eric is going to work to fight the humans. We already know Charles and Eric are going to struggle with and against each other. What is now different is that Raven shows a third side: Sometimes you have to save both humans and mutants and sometimes you have to fight both humans and mutants. The interesting result of this is that it is well tread territory that Charles is often seen as an idealistic dreamer but now it is how Eric is equally unrealistic where instead Raven has the far more practical approach.

Going forward, if they follow the pattern is they are going set the next movie in the 80s. Are we ready for such a thing? :) I would like them to show Charles and Eric building their teams with Raven acting as a wild card building her own team then whats his face show up to conquer the world. I would almost rather they do the Dark Phoenix stuff correctly than Apocalypse but whatever.