Dead Space: Downfall Review

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

Edited By bonesaw

I've never been a big fan of prequels. While they do offer greater insight into how everything started and expand on the lore of a given series, in the end they are ultimately predictable films.   While Dead Space doesn't change this formula, it instead gets right to the point of the film: violence, violence, swearing and more violence.   While the movie does have a clear and adequate plot that clearly keeps with the Dead Space fiction, its not what kept me engaged since I knew how it would all end. However It's a stable train-track that keeps things moving until you get to the crazy gruesome parts which is what really makes this film worth watching.   The main characters themselves are your typical military, one dimensional balls to the wall personalities. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing since this movie is more about bodies and body parts flying rather than thorough character development.   And once the action starts it never dies down much after that as you are constantly thrown into one blood-lustful fight for survival after the next, which always keeps the tension high.   These intense scenes are a pretty close representation to how freaky these fights are in the actual game as there is always something out to get you around the next corner with an appetite to slaughter. The animation itself is top notch with endless spurts of crimson splatter and deformed bodies transforming into unspeakable abominations that are really the hallmark of what makes the games so awesome.   The ending is actually one of the finer points of the story as it leaves you with an eerie, creepy feeling that the events that just transpired were only the beginning to something truly horrible. In the end, While I can't say that this movie is all the way on par with the games that came before it, if nothing else it is a glimpse into what the Dead Space universe is and how it came to be.   If you've played both the games in the series and are looking for something to appease your appetite until Dead Space 3 arrives then this short, psychotic animation will keep you warm and happy...for now.

3.5/5

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By bonesaw

I've never been a big fan of prequels. While they do offer greater insight into how everything started and expand on the lore of a given series, in the end they are ultimately predictable films.   While Dead Space doesn't change this formula, it instead gets right to the point of the film: violence, violence, swearing and more violence.   While the movie does have a clear and adequate plot that clearly keeps with the Dead Space fiction, its not what kept me engaged since I knew how it would all end. However It's a stable train-track that keeps things moving until you get to the crazy gruesome parts which is what really makes this film worth watching.   The main characters themselves are your typical military, one dimensional balls to the wall personalities. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing since this movie is more about bodies and body parts flying rather than thorough character development.   And once the action starts it never dies down much after that as you are constantly thrown into one blood-lustful fight for survival after the next, which always keeps the tension high.   These intense scenes are a pretty close representation to how freaky these fights are in the actual game as there is always something out to get you around the next corner with an appetite to slaughter. The animation itself is top notch with endless spurts of crimson splatter and deformed bodies transforming into unspeakable abominations that are really the hallmark of what makes the games so awesome.   The ending is actually one of the finer points of the story as it leaves you with an eerie, creepy feeling that the events that just transpired were only the beginning to something truly horrible. In the end, While I can't say that this movie is all the way on par with the games that came before it, if nothing else it is a glimpse into what the Dead Space universe is and how it came to be.   If you've played both the games in the series and are looking for something to appease your appetite until Dead Space 3 arrives then this short, psychotic animation will keep you warm and happy...for now.

3.5/5

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

Wall of text, dude.