Death of a Country, Birth of a Nation

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Terrell

As of right now we are 10 days out from voting for who will be our next president, and he feeling that I have right now is a little apprehension. Im not worried that people won't vote; last year we had a drastic increase in voter turn out, and I think that trend will continue this year (though I don't think it will increase by as much as people think it will) Let me get to the point.

My point is that I just want to urge ALL of you to really THINK before you vote this November. Whether you identify yourself as a Democrat, Republican, somewhere in between, or something else completely (like me), you need to really take a moment and think before you cast your vote for who should be ultimately in charge of this country. Think about it, this person will be in charge of the entire country, the person who is able to say yes or no to the big and small issues that ultimately affect us all...

If you would have asked me a few weeks ago, I would have told you that I honestly don't know that much about either candidates positions or policies. But I then I decided that I needed to fix that, and tried to learn something about each candidate and their vice-presidential counterparts. Now i am in no way saying I know as much as I need to or should, but I know that I knew more than I previously did, and that's the most important thing. I heard a couple people saying that we need to know only "rock the vote" but EDUCATE our vote as well. What good is it if a bunch of people vote if they don't know what they are voting for? Now I'm not saying you need to become a political analyst or expert, but... well, think of it like this:

Think of 2 or 3 things (or even just 1 thing) that you feel is important to you that our government should be in charge of handing? Whether is be taxes, the economy, education, internet access, video-game legislation, whatever it may be, chances are if you search hard enough, you can find something about it concerning the candidates' stances on the issue. And then learn as much as you can about those thing. Just make sure (and this is important) that you are getting the REAL story. Watch out for politically biased news shows (ex. Fox News for Mccain and BET for Obama) or newspapers, and websites. Basically, if it seems like someone is twisting the facts just to prove a point for their candidate of choice, chances are they are. Just make sure you use your brain. Research for the answers you want, and if you can't find them, then chances are those are your answer(s) right there.

I'm not saying who you should for vote for, that wouldn't be right. I'm not even going to slightly suggest it by saying who I am voting for, because that would be hypocritical. Just know who YOU are voting for. And more importantly, know WHY you are voting for them. Whoever you are voting for, remember this: It's time for us as a country to work. Everyone expects that electing one person or the other is going to change things instantly, and that is not the case.

And so, the most important part of my note is this: be ready to work. If you say that you really support John Mccain, than be prepared to work for the causes that he supports if you feel it will make this country better. if you honestly support Barack Obama, then be ready to do something to prove it and support his initiatives. And im not just talking about voting talking about it in a round table discussion. For example, if you support a candidate that wants to support small businesses, then you probably shouldn't be stealing from them just because "times are hard". As a matter of fact, YOU TOO should be supporting small businesses, which means you might not be able to save money by shopping at Walmart all of the time, which also means you need to spend more responsibly by not buying 13 pairs of shoes with every paycheck. Now I hear you say "Well what if I buy all of those shoes from the small business?!" to which I say that's fine, until you have to eat, and then I hope that you bought some grape flavored sneakers or you are in trouble. Also, if you spend all of your money on frivolous things, then you won't have money to pay your bills or your mortgage, which is partly the problem with the economy right now.

This election is going to be interesting to say the least. Some are hoping for a complete change, others want things to stay the same. Some are hoping Mccain suffers a heart attack or some health related issue, while others are waiting for Obama to be subject of an assassination. Some are too caught up on the slip ups from Joe Biden and Sarah Palin to see the true facts, while others are paying them TOO LITTLE attention. Some are hoping the Black community finally takes voting seriously, while others are hoping that The Bradley Effect holds true. (For those who don't know, The Bradley Effect is when voters say that they will vote for a non-white candidate, but on election day, actually vote for the white candidate out of fear of appearing racist). Regardless, at the end of the day, someone is going to win, and someone is going to lose, and whoever loses, whether it be Obama or Mccain, they better be ready to work too! Trust me, if they are TRULY about what they say they are, they need to be ready to go to work!

All I'm saying is that we need to be prepared to work, and work hard. Things aren't going to be fixed overnight (in terms of the economy, it probably won't be fixed for a number of years!) So be prepared to work hard. And when I say work hard, I mean work harder than yo usually would for maybe less than you would usually get... Don't just vote for a President, we've had to many of those, vote for a Leader. And when I say leader, I mean vote for someone who is going to not only make decisions, but then give instructions for what we the American people need to do to help fix this mess of a country, and then be ready to follow them! Come together as a nation so that we can have a country in the future, because we are dangerously close to losing it all. That's all.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

bump (people should read it)

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By OGCartman

Wow amazing post

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail
dcpc10 said:
"awesome post, and i agree with all except, for one thing. The media is ALWAYS biased, not just some of it, but ALL of it, theres no such thing as a ''real'' news story.- in my opinion."
I was wondering when you would show up.
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Omega
dcpc10 said:
"awesome post, and i agree with all except, for one thing. The media is ALWAYS biased, not just some of it, but ALL of it, theres no such thing as a ''real'' news story.- in my opinion."
Actually sometimes news organizations aren't biased, but they look as if they are biased.

Its actually reality that is biased.

When you look at the 40's and 50's and hundreds of years before that you'll see that reality has a conservative christian bias.
When you look at the 90's to now there is a liberal bias in reality, where gay's and atheists are more accepted than conservative christians in many areas. And more people have more rights than before overall.

That is why most news channels seem to have a liberal bias. Its not that they are bias its reality. Sorry, but it would seem that progress has a liberal bias as well. The smarter we become as a species the less need we have for god, or for racism, and prejudice. In fact the whole idea of racism and prejudice is slowly slipping away because our primal need to band together in small groups that are most like us to ensure the survival of the tribe is slowly slipping away.

It's true that we are barely out of the jungle as a species, but every generation gets us further away from our animal instincts and closer to the enlightened higher species that we all strive to be. (and some foolishly think we already achieved)

Hmm, seems that one got away from me a little bit.
Oh, well. In conclusion reality is biased which gives the illusion of a liberal conspiracy, and that most news networks are biased. (Fox news is biased though. But only because they try to give conservatives a place to get their news, rather than the news the rest of the world gets. Which makes Fox News viewers extra special.)
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#6  Edited By JackiJinx

Very good post, OP. Excellent.

Now I need to follow through on more than just barely listening to NPR in the morning =/

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

That's too much to read. Can you condense it down into a couple of summary statements? (and by statements I mean: 2, and only 2 sentences)?

Thanks.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Terrell
Lind_L_Taylor said:
"That's too much to read. Can you condense it down into a couple of summary statements? (and by statements I mean: 2, and only 2 sentences)?

Thanks.
"
All I'm saying is that we need to be prepared to work, and work hard. Things aren't going to be fixed overnight (in terms of the economy, it probably won't be fixed for a number of years!) So be prepared to work hard. And when I say work hard, I mean work harder than yo usually would for maybe less than you would usually get... Don't just vote for a President, we've had to many of those, vote for a Leader. And when I say leader, I mean vote for someone who is going to not only make decisions, but then give instructions for what we the American people need to do to help fix this mess of a country, and then be ready to follow them!