• 51 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

Which do you like more?

I'm sort of undecided. I think they are both ok, but neither one stands apart from the other.

#2 Posted by Just_Insane (1080 posts) -

My vote goes to Planet Terror....i just liked it overall more, but Death Proof wasn't bad either

#3 Posted by stAtic (1638 posts) -

I liked both but Planet Terror isn't as slow.

#4 Posted by Damonation (556 posts) -

I liked Death Proof. It felt like it was ripped straight from the 1970's and had an awesome car chase.

#5 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Well, in my opinion.

Rodriguez > Tarantino

So, Planet Terror > Death Proof. But honestly, I did enjoy PT more than DP, DP was okay, PT was awesome, in a weird way.

Tarantino has had a few good movies, though.

#6 Posted by Damonation (556 posts) -
Karmum said:
"Well, in my opinion.

Rodriguez > Tarantino

So, Planet Terror > Death Proof. But honestly, I did enjoy PT more than DP, DP was okay, PT was awesome, in a weird way.

Tarantino has had a few good movies, though."
I beg to differ
Tarantino: 4

Rodriguez: 0
#7 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"Well, in my opinion.

Rodriguez > Tarantino

So, Planet Terror > Death Proof. But honestly, I did enjoy PT more than DP, DP was okay, PT was awesome, in a weird way.

Tarantino has had a few good movies, though."
I beg to differ
Tarantino: 4

Rodriguez: 0"
All up for opinion, hint my first sentence. Besides, Rodriguez might be directing the Jetsons live action movie. >_>
#8 Posted by Damonation (556 posts) -
Karmum said:
"Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"Well, in my opinion.

Rodriguez > Tarantino

So, Planet Terror > Death Proof. But honestly, I did enjoy PT more than DP, DP was okay, PT was awesome, in a weird way.

Tarantino has had a few good movies, though."
I beg to differ
Tarantino: 4

Rodriguez: 0"
All up for opinion, hint my first sentence. Besides, Rodriguez might be directing the Jetsons live action movie. >_>"
Well then your opinion is wrong... TIMES FOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUR!
#9 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

Planet Terror. easily

#10 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"Well, in my opinion.

Rodriguez > Tarantino

So, Planet Terror > Death Proof. But honestly, I did enjoy PT more than DP, DP was okay, PT was awesome, in a weird way.

Tarantino has had a few good movies, though."
I beg to differ
Tarantino: 4

Rodriguez: 0"
All up for opinion, hint my first sentence. Besides, Rodriguez might be directing the Jetsons live action movie. >_>"
Well then your opinion is wrong... TIMES FOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUR!"
No, it isn't. And I'm guessing you did not read that list, since Rodriguez has one film there: Sin City. I don't care if he co-directed it, and hopefully you did not add that to Tarantino's.
#11 Posted by Damonation (556 posts) -
Karmum said:
"No, it isn't. And I'm guessing you did not read that list, since Rodriguez has one film there: Sin City. I don't care if he co-directed it, and hopefully you did not add that to Tarantino's."
I didn't add it. Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Four films on that list. And you're right, I missed Sin CIty, but you shouldn't deny Frank Miller the credit he is due.
#12 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Well, I certainly think Frank Miller is pretty damn good, too.

#13 Posted by Ubergeist (416 posts) -

Planet Terror is awesome.

#14 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I think overall Planet Terror was better for me. Zombies, babes, guns, the all American way.
Death Proof is great, but Planet Terror is greaterer.

#15 Edited by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

Anyone remember the commercial for Machete at the beginning  of Planet Terror? Rodriguez is making full length movie out of it. Can't wait!

Here's a trailer for those who haven't seen it. Watch out though, It's violent and there are some boobies in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8cCzltPD6Y

#16 Posted by HouseOfWolves (99 posts) -

Death Proof

#17 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I didn't finish Death Proof.

and watched Planet Terror instead.

#18 Posted by TenderTalons (26 posts) -
Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"No, it isn't. And I'm guessing you did not read that list, since Rodriguez has one film there: Sin City. I don't care if he co-directed it, and hopefully you did not add that to Tarantino's."
I didn't add it. Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Four films on that list. And you're right, I missed Sin CIty, but you shouldn't deny Frank Miller the credit he is due."
What about Desperado and Once Upon A Time In Mexico? Those are Rodriguez directed only. It should be at least 4-2, not 4-0.

More on topic, I'd say as far as stupid popcorn-munching fun goes, PT has the win here. However, for the intended throwback that Grindhouse was supposed to be, DP has the win. I think they work together best and are a bit weak once pulled apart.
#19 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

When I first saw Grindhouse in the theater, I liked Planet Terror better. Now that I've seen both films at least three times each, I think Death Proof. I think the payoff is much better.

#20 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"No, it isn't. And I'm guessing you did not read that list, since Rodriguez has one film there: Sin City. I don't care if he co-directed it, and hopefully you did not add that to Tarantino's."
I didn't add it. Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Four films on that list. And you're right, I missed Sin CIty, but you shouldn't deny Frank Miller the credit he is due."
Reservoir Dogs is the only good film that Tarantino has done. Pulp Fiction is boring but because it uses the mixed up narrative, it's 'unique' and both Kill Bill films are basically copy and paste from all the Wuxia classics. Granted, Reservoir Dogs is pretty much City on Fire but from a different perspective, it's stil very entertaining. At least when Robert Rodriguez references something, he does it well rather than porting it directly.

And yeah, Planet Terror was an amazing B-Movie parody while Death Proof was just inane talking and a good car chase.
#21 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I preferred Planet Terror way more. I enjoyed the final part of Death Proof and thought the car chase segment was fantastic, but the first part of that movie was dreadful to watch. Planet Terror was fun the entire time and I just enjoyed it a lot more.

#22 Posted by NotaStalker (172 posts) -

planet terror. no doubt. watching chicks talking in a car was less exiting

#23 Posted by Dethfish (3658 posts) -

They are both pretty awesome. Death Proof is really good if you skip the first 20 minutes and Planet Terror is a good zombie movie, not the best ever but still good.

PT wins though just because it doesn't take very long to get good, unlike DP.

#24 Posted by McDazzle (544 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"No, it isn't. And I'm guessing you did not read that list, since Rodriguez has one film there: Sin City. I don't care if he co-directed it, and hopefully you did not add that to Tarantino's."
I didn't add it. Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Four films on that list. And you're right, I missed Sin CIty, but you shouldn't deny Frank Miller the credit he is due."
Reservoir Dogs is the only good film that Tarantino has done. Pulp Fiction is boring but because it uses the mixed up narrative, it's 'unique' and both Kill Bill films are basically copy and paste from all the Wuxia classics. Granted, Reservoir Dogs is pretty much City on Fire but from a different perspective, it's stil very entertaining. At least when Robert Rodriguez references something, he does it well rather than porting it directly.

And yeah, Planet Terror was an amazing B-Movie parody while Death Proof was just inane talking and a good car chase."
Pulp Fiction is boring?You sir need to listen to the dialogue more.
#25 Posted by AlexB (1023 posts) -

Death Proof for sure. I like Tarentino's stuff a lot more than Rodriguez

#26 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
McDazzle said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"No, it isn't. And I'm guessing you did not read that list, since Rodriguez has one film there: Sin City. I don't care if he co-directed it, and hopefully you did not add that to Tarantino's."
I didn't add it. Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Four films on that list. And you're right, I missed Sin CIty, but you shouldn't deny Frank Miller the credit he is due."
Reservoir Dogs is the only good film that Tarantino has done. Pulp Fiction is boring but because it uses the mixed up narrative, it's 'unique' and both Kill Bill films are basically copy and paste from all the Wuxia classics. Granted, Reservoir Dogs is pretty much City on Fire but from a different perspective, it's stil very entertaining. At least when Robert Rodriguez references something, he does it well rather than porting it directly.

And yeah, Planet Terror was an amazing B-Movie parody while Death Proof was just inane talking and a good car chase."
Pulp Fiction is boring?You sir need to listen to the dialogue more."
That's exactly my point. The dialogue was meaningless. In Reservoir Dogs, the dialogue heavy scenes were very interesting as they let you in on their personalities. Mr. Pink said he didn't tip, which makes him out to be very tight with his money. This is later reflected when he just wants to get the diamonds and split without trying to save Orange. Meanwhile in Pulp Fiction, it was all burgers and Dead Nigger Storage and none of the plot points.
#27 Posted by Zorn20 (69 posts) -
Planet terror.
#28 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Planet Terror.

#29 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"McDazzle said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Damonation said:
"Karmum said:
"No, it isn't. And I'm guessing you did not read that list, since Rodriguez has one film there: Sin City. I don't care if he co-directed it, and hopefully you did not add that to Tarantino's."
I didn't add it. Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Four films on that list. And you're right, I missed Sin CIty, but you shouldn't deny Frank Miller the credit he is due."
Reservoir Dogs is the only good film that Tarantino has done. Pulp Fiction is boring but because it uses the mixed up narrative, it's 'unique' and both Kill Bill films are basically copy and paste from all the Wuxia classics. Granted, Reservoir Dogs is pretty much City on Fire but from a different perspective, it's stil very entertaining. At least when Robert Rodriguez references something, he does it well rather than porting it directly.

And yeah, Planet Terror was an amazing B-Movie parody while Death Proof was just inane talking and a good car chase."
Pulp Fiction is boring?You sir need to listen to the dialogue more."
That's exactly my point. The dialogue was meaningless. In Reservoir Dogs, the dialogue heavy scenes were very interesting as they let you in on their personalities. Mr. Pink said he didn't tip, which makes him out to be very tight with his money. This is later reflected when he just wants to get the diamonds and split without trying to save Orange. Meanwhile in Pulp Fiction, it was all burgers and Dead Nigger Storage and none of the plot points."
Is it..... Is it human to not like Pulp Fiction?!"
I prefer the term 'artificial person' myself.
#30 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

Planet Terror.  Death Proof did have great moments though, like the crash scene and some of the dialogue.  I made a car in Forza 2 for it.

Death Proof
front
top








Not the same car, but good enough.
#31 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

Nice! That's cool, but....is it death proof?

#32 Posted by Joker (675 posts) -

I liked them both equally. Planet Terror + Death Proof = Grindhouse = Awesome movie.

#33 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -
Met2609 said:
"When I first saw Grindhouse in the theater, I liked Planet Terror better. Now that I've seen both films at least three times each, I think Death Proof. I think the payoff is much better."
exactly
#34 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -

Planet Terror, I mean, I like Death Proof but it was s    l    o    w in actually getting anywhere.

#36 Edited by 49th (2755 posts) -

I liked Death Proof more, I thought Planet Terror was a little too silly and not as interesting.

#37 Posted by hustlerlt (329 posts) -

Planet Terror all the way. The first part of Death Proof was amazing, but everything got destroyed in the second part. I don't care about the car chase, having to listen to obnoxious girl talk for probably 40 minutes drove me insane. Also, the fact that a badass villain was made into some scared whiny old guy didn't help.

#38 Posted by CorruptedEvil (3240 posts) -

WHY WAS A 5 YEAR OLD THREAD BUMPED

#39 Posted by Glottery (1272 posts) -

Because of a very shoddy and timely spambot. Should probably update it's movie database.

Online
#41 Posted by PSNgamesun (408 posts) -

There's two versions of Death Proof, one that's by itself and the other is with Planet Terror which is shorter. In which case I prefer the shorter one because it's less wordy and around the proper length the film needed to be.

Either way I prefer Planet Terror because I'm just into horror films but neither of the films I find amazing.

#42 Posted by Cheesebob (1236 posts) -

Planet Terror is way more enjoyable.

#43 Edited by Lydian_Sel (2486 posts) -

Planet Terror is the most consistent experience, but holy shit the pay-off in Death Proof is incredible.

In a pinch I'd probably give it to Planet Terror but I think I have a little more respect for Death Proof.

#44 Edited by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

Planet Terror. That said From Dusk Till Dawn was better than both. Tarantino and Rodriguez should do more stuff together.

#45 Posted by BoOzak (919 posts) -

Planet Terror. I didnt care for any of the characters in Death Proof besides Kurt Russel, and when you combine Tarantino's obsession with talking shit with people who cant act it gets a bit tedious.

#46 Edited by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Clearly the best option is watching the full Grindhouse experience.

I remember actually enjoying Death Proof more, as I always love Tarantino's writing.Both are great though, and by god don't forget all the trailers.

#47 Edited by RonGalaxy (3166 posts) -

Planet Terror is funner/sillier, but Death Proof feels like a proper, well made low budget grindhouse movie. Planet Terror feels like it tries a bit too hard to get that b movie feel and it ends up feeling more like a scifi channel b movie than a Dawn of the Dead. Also, Tarantino dialogue is in full form in Death Proof.

Rodriguez is more into the hokeyness of B movies, where Tarantino feels that a lot of b movies have actually elevated the medium (and a lot have).

#48 Posted by StudioErebus (45 posts) -

In the theater I liked Planet Terror more, but at home I've watched Death Proof many more times. They're both fun, trashy movies but Death Proof is more in the spirit of what they were trying to do: make a grindhouse-style movie.

But consider this: Tarantino doesn't show up in Death Proof.

#49 Edited by wrecks (2255 posts) -

Love em both but both have problems. Planet Terror is great because it's Rodriguez channeling John Carpenter but is just a bit too goofy for repeat viewing pleasure. Death Proof if nearly perfect, except for the scene in the diner. That shit goes on waaaay too long.

Also, realizing it's a necrothread after posting = priceless.

#50 Posted by TurboMan (7539 posts) -

Wow, I'm shocked at all of the Planet Terror love going on here. I thought the movie was way trying way too hard, and made me think that perhaps Robert Rodriguez would be a good candidate for directing Sharknado 2.

Death Proof is a movie straight from the 70's. The first half is PERFECT. Second half is a bit slow but the 30 minute car chase at the end makes up for it.