Democracy and Republic... What's the difference???!!!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Anyone care to explain the difference between a Democracy and a Republic? I thought of this question while I was playing Civilization Revolution on my PS3. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I googled it and got a load of results. I'd try that

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

The difference between a republic and a democracy lies in the ultimate source of official power. In the case of a republic, it lies with a charter; in a democracy, power lies with the rule of the majority. Yet they are often lumped together. Consider the words to the United States' Pledge of Allegiance, which adds to some of the confusion by proudly touting: "And to the republic for which its stands, one nation under God, indivisible ..."

Adding to the confusion is the fact that there are different types of democracies. A direct democracy is one which is ruled entirely and directly by the people; to decide on an issue, the question is put to the vote of the population and the majority of those votes determine the outcome. In a representative democracy, citizens elect people to represent their interests in the government, and these representatives determine how issues are decided.

In seeking clarification between a democracy and a republic, look no further than the names of American political parties and how they loosely define their boundaries. If nothing else, the names " republican" and " democrat" may be considered to characterize a Republican’s looser view of government and a Democrat’s centralized one. In a republic, people may vote for their representatives, but the state’s responsibilities are limited because they are clearly bound by a charter. Freedom is realized by the willingness of the people to live by the dictates of the charter. The republic’s charter protects the individual’s rights.

The detailed organization of the government of a republic can vary widely. In most cases, the head of state, as it is in France, for example, is referred to as the president. In republics, the head of state is always appointed as the result of either a direct or indirect election. In the case of some republics, such as Switzerland and San Marino, the head of state is actually a committee of several persons in aggregate. Republics can be led by a head of state who retains many characteristics of a monarch, and in some instances the president may rule for the duration of his life. Such an example would be the Syrian Arab Republic.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Evilsbane

A Democracy Is controled by the people directly.

In A Republic the people elect other people to represent them.

Thats a simple way of putting it but it works I am sure youll get a nice wall of text :D

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Smarter_Martyr: I think I understand now. So basically: 

Republic: Power is centered around a constitution/charter 

Democracy: Power is centered around majority 

That right?
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By skrutop
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @Smarter_Martyr: I think I understand now. So basically:  Republic: Power is centered around a constitution/charter  Democracy: Power is centered around majority  That right? "
Bingo.  A republic is a type of democracy where the majority elect their leaders to rule in their stead.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
@SathingtonWaltz:  You got it.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Suicrat

Republicanism is an alternativist form of government (republican movements are framed as a movement in opposition to Monarchism or Imperialism), whereas democracy is a means of deciding who composes the seat of government, and is generally informed non-democratically. The form a government takes has never been decided democratically. And to be perfectly frank, there's no reason to assume that's a bad thing.

Democracy doesn't really exist. It's just a buzzword to make people think that when they throw their lot in with dozens of millions of other people, it seems like their voices are being "heard", when really they're just stepping in an echo-chamber.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Daniel

A republic is a democracy that has grown too big

Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Amorfati
@Suicrat said:

The form a government takes has never been decided democratically. And to be perfectly frank, there's no reason to assume that's a bad thing.

Yes there is. If the form that a government takes is not decided democractically then usually it's formed by a small group of people (or one person, a dictator) who seeks personal interest to the dismay of others. Take the invasion of Iraq, the majority of the populace of the invading countries were ignored when they asked their governments to withdraw the troops. And that's a small thing compared to the atrocities the US government has been commiting;
 " If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war [WWII] American president would have been hanged. "  http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Suicrat
@Amorfati said:
" @Suicrat said:

The form a government takes has never been decided democratically. And to be perfectly frank, there's no reason to assume that's a bad thing.

Yes there is. If the form that a government takes is not decided democractically then usually it's formed by a small group of people (or one person, a dictator) who seeks personal interest to the dismay of others. Take the invasion of Iraq, the majority of the populace of the invading countries were ignored when they asked their governments to withdraw the troops. And that's a small thing compared to the atrocities the US government has been commiting;
 " If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war [WWII] American president would have been hanged. "  http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm "
I'm not sure what a 227 year old government decides to do (in contravention of its own laws -- Only Congress can declare War according to the U.S. Constitution) has to do with whether or not the government's structure was decided democratically, 227 years ago.

What a government does with its power is not exactly the same as the form a government takes.
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Amorfati
@Suicrat said:

" @Amorfati said:

" @Suicrat said:

" If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war [WWII] American president would have been hanged. "  http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm "
I'm not sure what a 227 year old government decides to do (in contravention of its own laws -- Only Congress can declare War according to the U.S. Constitution) has to do with whether or not the government's structure was decided democratically, 227 years ago.  What a government does with its power is not exactly the same as the form a government takes. "
I wasn't under the impression that you were calling every governmet from Washington to Obama the same government. Though I disagree with the last sentence, the form the government takes is directly related to what it decides to do with it's power, for example, If it incorporates fascism or fascist ideals into it's form then alot of people are going to suffer.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Suicrat
@Amorfati: 
Directly related, but not exactly the same.

Fascism has been imposed democratically in many circumstances. (Look at the current administration, look at the previous administration, look at the Nixon administration, look at FDR, look at Woodrow Wilson, all have further-entwined the state into the economic sphere as the heads of the companies leading the economic sphere coalesce and shape the policies of government, that is corporatist fascism to a tee. The last 43 presidents were elected democratically, and that hasn't stopped the last 15 from pursuing fascism in varying degrees.)
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Amorfati
@Suicrat said:

" @Amorfati:  Directly related, but not exactly the same.  Fascism has been imposed democratically in many circumstances. (Look at the current administration, look at the previous administration, look at the Nixon administration, look at FDR, look at Woodrow Wilson, all have further-entwined the state into the economic sphere as the heads of the companies leading the economic sphere coalesce and shape the policies of government, that is corporatist fascism to a tee. The last 43 presidents were elected democratically, and that hasn't stopped the last 15 from pursuing fascism in varying degrees.) "

But as you said in a previous post :
"Democracy doesn't really exist. It's just a buzzword to make people think that when they throw their lot in with dozens of millions of other people, it seems like their voices are being "heard", when really they're just stepping in an echo-chamber. "

Those presidents weren't really voted into power democratically, and once the voting is over democracy becomes non-existent, the only influence that people have then is through strenuous campaigns from activists and activists are marginalised through the media's portrayal of the activists as being "nut-jobs."
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Suicrat
@Amorfati: You correctly pointed out my double-use of the word democracy. When I refer to "democratically-elected" Presidents, I use it in the Western traditional sense of the word -- i.e., majority rule. When I say "democracy doesn't exist" I use democracy in the more globalized, non-oriented definition of democracy -- i.e., rule of the people, a concept that doesn't really have any coherent meaning.

The reality is democracy in both senses is not an ideal. Self-determination is the ideal, and a government can only further that aim when it monopolizes the use of force and effectively deters the initiation of force through criminal and civil law, and a border-defending military (i.e., a military that does not subscribe to the pre-emption doctrine and only uses force to retaliate against the initiation of force, as you pointed out, such activities are unjustifiable.)

If 50%+1 of the people think that the colour red is good and that all people should have red shirts, that they have the majority backing their opinion, that ought not render meaningless the opinions of the 50%-1 segment that prefers colours other than red.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool
@Suicrat said:
" Republicanism is an alternativist form of government (republican movements are framed as a movement in opposition to Monarchism or Imperialism), whereas democracy is a means of deciding who composes the seat of government, and is generally informed non-democratically. The form a government takes has never been decided democratically. And to be perfectly frank, there's no reason to assume that's a bad thing.  Democracy doesn't really exist. It's just a buzzword to make people think that when they throw their lot in with dozens of millions of other people, it seems like their voices are being "heard", when really they're just stepping in an echo-chamber. "
I normally call it Democratic Dictatorship.  We vote to decide who will dictate to us for the next 3-4 years.  Is there a better alternative?  More varied representation and no control by one party?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suicrat
@oldschool: Law that adheres to the principle of self-rule is the best alternative. Names, brands, talking heads; these things are superficial (and so if people want the chance to vote on them they should be free to). The aspect that matters is the government respects the rights of its people to guide their own lives.

Unfortunately, such a government doesn't seem to exist anywhere. And the closest thing the world has to it -- Switzerland, is beset on all sides by nations that want to erode its people's sovereignty.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By oldschool
@Suicrat said:
" @oldschool: Law that adheres to the principle of self-rule is the best alternative. Names, brands, talking heads; these things are superficial (and so if people want the chance to vote on them they should be free to). The aspect that matters is the government respects the rights of its people to guide their own lives.  Unfortunately, such a government doesn't seem to exist anywhere. And the closest thing the world has to it -- Switzerland, is beset on all sides by nations that want to erode its people's sovereignty. "
I always am bemused (and sometimes annoyed) that we have a representative who doesn't represent us.  How many of them vote according to their electorate?  If you are in a Westminster system, none if you belong to a major party, as you vote on party lines.  Conscience votes are extremely rare and even then, they vote on their own conscience, not what the public wants.  Other wise we would have euthanasia, gay marriage and softer drug laws.  On the downside, we would probably have capital punishment, so sometimes NOT doing what the public wants is a good thing.  You want freedom you have to take the downside as well.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Suicrat
@oldschool: Freedom and majority rule are not the same thing.

An innoocent person wrongfully-convicted of murder is not free to be killed. It's a contradiction in terms to associate democracy with liberty.

In the commonwealth parliamentary system, if you are made to resign your membership within a company upon taking office (not sure if that happens in Australia, but I know Paul Martin stopped being CEO of some giant shipping magnate when he took the position as Prime Minister of Canada), you should also do the same with your partisan affiliation; but partisan affiliation, as you pointed out, is at the core of the British parliamentary system.

A system of laws that adheres to the principle of individual rights and self-rule does not need to be complex, you don't need a full-time legislature, you could have congressional conventions that determine the contract-insurance rates, put together form contracts for the convenience of the country, determine what the sentencing structure would be for what crimes (that have victims, a victimless crime conceptually is inimical to self-rule), and vote on the composition and location of military assets (WITHIN the jurisdiction. A democratically-elected foreign war can only take place when the lives of the people who fund the military are threatened, e.g. World War II but not the Korean War or the Viet Nam war.)

[Be right back, gonna run to the corner store to buy some frozen juice!]
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Feser
@oldschool:
Both a democracy and a republic can exclude a minority, though I would argue that a multi-party system can allow minorities to team up for a larger causes (the coalition parties in Israel). That's not the point. Even in a democracy where everyone can vote certain groups can be repressed, like in Switzerland where women were not allowed to vote until 1971 (Yes, 1971).  The degree to which a government is repressive has nothing to with whether that government is a democracy or a republic. 
Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jiggah

True democracy, the people actually have a voice.  A republic means the interest of the people are represented by a senate.

The United States is actually a republic.