• 57 results
cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cid798

I'll try to fast track this, since I was young I wanted to be in the military. I've done everything to prepare post-entry which thankfully has led to any job I have being the best and rising the ranks fast.

I've hardware in my right ankle that inhibits me 0%. My current job is very physical. I make pallets for a leading chicken company. Involves the obvious heavy lifting but also anyone working in a warehouse can probably attest to circumventing some things to get the job done.

My problem is I want to join the U.S. Army and everything is hunky dorey except in my region the chief medical officer has a very high rate of those sent to boot succeeding and he will take no risks.

I'm looking for any alternative route, I've nothing holding me back physically and have always been up front in recruiting as well as missing only 1 question on ASVAB. Regardless I'm looking to go in as Infantry 11x.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By falserelic

Well I hope things workout for you. But make sure you really think about this decision. I have a friend who is in the army and regrets joining.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Voxus

I highly recommend joining another service if at all possible.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@0blivion said:

I highly recommend joining another service if at all possible.

This. Join the air force and learn a job and get paid better.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

why do you want to join the army? Just curious.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By GalacticPunt

It's great that you are so dedicated to joining the military... but please consider any branch but the Army. And goddammit, ANY specialization but infantry!

Please take a good, hard look at the Air Force and the Navy. Much better career track, while not being sent in as infantry cannon fodder. If you really want to be attractive to the military, you will do better as someone with high math and science aptitudes than just a meat-head who can run drills in spite of metal in his ankle.

If you really desire to be a superhero on the ground, join the Navy, finish their basic training, then try out for Navy Seals. If "Rogue Warrior" Dick Marcinko's book is any indication, they don't care about your pre-existing condition, anyone who can get through the pain and endurance of their training program (about 10% who attempt it) has proven their worth.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

well i suggest first start running, lifting weights to be strong. see if you can do stuff.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RaceKickfist

check the other branches and explore other jobs. you don't go for infantry, you settle for infantry.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grimhild

@cid798:

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the pre-existing condition all that much if you're scoring high marks on the physical aspects. It's most likely that the Medical Officer will just tag on a waiver for your hardware. I knew a fair amount of people in the service that had pre-existing medical conditions. But, I'm not aware of anything else you could do to help ensure your enlistment.

It's also not my place to judge your choice of MOS or branch, either. That's completely your prerogative. But I would say that if 11X is your choice, I would strongly suggest adding Airborne when you sign on the line to get into Jump School ASAP, since you're already going to be at Ft. Benning for Basic and AIT. After that you can go for your Ranger or Sapper Tab, and then onto Ft. Bragg, if you choose. If you're looking to be in the middle of the shit, you might as well be with the best. But I'm sure you've already thought about this.

Hope everything works out for you :)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fattony12000

Talk to Steve Beynon, he is an Army man.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Have you seen those soldiers reuniting to their family videos on Youtube?

That alone is reason enough to join the army.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I don't see how. I don't think being put in a situation where you would be separated from your family for months or years at a time is worth the reunion. When you can not join and stick with them.

sergeantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sergeantz

If you're getting turned back at the MEPS, I'm sorry to say that there might not be much you can do at the moment. The Army is in the middle of a huge drawdown; even reenlistments are restricted right now. If what you're saying about your ASVAB score is true, then you should be competitive in the other services. Unlike the Army, the other branches never pumped up their ranks, so they might need people a little bit more right now.

If your heart is set on being Army Infantry, have them show you the medical evaluation forms, and have your recruiter show you the regulation where you can be refused enlistment due to your condition (there may be one). If they can't or won't produce one, talk to the station commander. If you still can't get traction, write your congressman.

I will agree with some of the others who say that you might want to look at some of the other MOSes, if only for the fact that you can get a more diverse skill set for later on in life. Unless you want to be a cop later on. That's what happens to a lot of Infantrymen after they get out.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I don't see how. I don't think being put in a situation where you would be separated from your family for months or years at a time is worth the reunion. When you can not join and stick with them.

It's the push/pull effect. Once something is gone long enough, you appreciate it more. I would probably join the army for that sole reason if I weren't such a p*ssy.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Osaladin

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

It's the push/pull effect. Once something is gone long enough, you appreciate it more. I would probably join the army for that sole reason if I weren't such a p*ssy.

I think there are easier ways to achieve the desired effect than joining the military.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flindip

@Grimhild said:

@cid798:

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the pre-existing condition all that much if you're scoring high marks on the physical aspects. It's most likely that the Medical Officer will just tag on a waiver for your hardware. I knew a fair amount of people in the service that had pre-existing medical conditions. But, I'm not aware of anything else you could do to help ensure your enlistment.

It's also not my place to judge your choice of MOS or branch, either. That's completely your prerogative. But I would say that if 11X is your choice, I would strongly suggest adding Airborne when you sign on the line to get into Jump School ASAP, since you're already going to be at Ft. Benning for Basic and AIT. After that you can go for your Ranger or Sapper Tab, and then onto Ft. Bragg, if you choose. If you're looking to be in the middle of the shit, you might as well be with the best. But I'm sure you've already thought about this.

Hope everything works out for you :)

Ranger school is more for established NCO's for time in service(its a leadership course). Your not going to get that slot unless you have at least a couple years in service(or your an officer). The only way nowadays corporals or the such get fast tracked there is through the 75th Ranger Regiment. Even then, usually you have to be a squad leader before they send you. Sapper school is more for combat engineers, not 11b's.

Airborne though you can get pretty much right out of the gate.

Still, with his previous medical condition. He is going to have to get a waiver of some sort for infantry. I don't know what the climate is currently, considering the Army is beginning downsizing.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Elazul

@Osaladin said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I think there are easier ways to achieve the desired effect than joining the military.

Yeah, if the guy's sure he wants to join the military for a career then fair enough, but that just makes no sense at all.

And dude, make sure you're joining up for the right reasons (i.e. as a serious, considered career decision and not some sort of jingoistic, power-fantasy). Ask yourself; why are you so eager to be an Infantryman despite getting such a high ASVAB score? And why is the Army your first choice? As others have said, just about any other branch and specialization will serve you far better in terms of pay and experience and will give you a better shot at a good civilian career if you ever leave, and it would be a shame to see any greater potential you have going to waste because you rushed into Infantry. Also, this might sound stupidly patronizing, but make sure you consider all of your options and actually know what you're getting in for before you make your final decision. As @GrantHeaslip so astutely pointed out, if we end up going to war with Iran the Infantryman's job is gonna be completely fucked compared to Afghanistan or Iraq.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@GrantHeaslip said:

Depending on how world events and domestic politics go, you could very well find yourself being part of a invading force in Iran (a developed country with a real military and chemical weapons) in the near future, or serving in Afghanistan.

That is a genuinely terrifying sentiment, whether joining the military or not (although, of course, more terrifying if you are an enlisted infantryman).

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By TheHBK

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I would think that is reason enough not to.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ares42

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

As someone who has a familymember that spent a large portion of his life in the Army I can assure you that doing it just for some fleeting moments of happiness is absolutely not worth it.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kgb0515

Good luck to you, sir.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmilingPig

You should talk to a recruiter about this or ask on a military forum instead of a video game forum.

Good luck, if all fails there is always the Salvation Army.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grimhild

@flindip:

I know, I was just laying out the steps, ergo the Airborne at enlistment since you need that for RIPs and such.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Osaladin: @TheHBK: @Elazul:

@Ares42 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

As someone who has a familymember that spent a large portion of his life in the Army I can assure you that doing it just for some fleeting moments of happiness is absolutely not worth it.

Was totally joking about the attention whore thing. :3

Now I feel like a dick.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallen189

I guess if you're into the potential of having to end another humans life, it could be okay. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By UitDeToekomst

i don't have anything constructive to add, but i wanted to point out that

I make pallets for a leading chicken company.

is one of the most awesome sentences i have read in a while.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jacksmedulla

@Fallen189 said:

I guess if you're into the potential of having to end another humans life, it could be okay. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it

Too many young men overlook this simple fact; it isn't until you are actually in "the shit" that you will realize your profession revolves around murder. This is one of the many reasons I will never join the military.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By artelinarose

@jacksmedulla said:

@Fallen189 said:

Too many young men overlook this simple fact; it isn't until you are actually in "the shit" that you will realize your profession revolves around murder. This is one of the many reasons I will never join the military.

Hey now, it isn't murder if they look different.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Elazul

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Yeah, sarcasm doesn't typically work too well in text form without strategic use of italics and/or caps.

For example:

No wait, maybe more like:

Uuuugghh... no, that's still not right:

HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE SOLDIERS REUNITING TO THEIR FAMILY VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE?

THAT ALONE IS REASON ENOUGH TO JOIN THE ARMY.

Oh god no, that's much worse. Uhh..... how about:

There we go.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Elazul said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Yeah, sarcasm doesn't typically work too well in text form without strategic use of italics and/or caps.

For example:

No wait, maybe more like:

Uuuugghh... no, that's still not right:

HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE SOLDIERS REUNITING TO THEIR FAMILY VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE?

THAT ALONE IS REASON ENOUGH TO JOIN THE ARMY.

Oh god no, that's much worse. Uhh..... how about:

There we go.

But I wasn't being sarcastic. I had just finished watching some of these videos and thought i'd share.

lol

I like the caps one though.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Elazul

@NlGHTCRAWLER: *sigh* God damn it. I'll be in my trailer.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Osaladin: @TheHBK: @Elazul:

@Ares42 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Was totally joking about the attention whore thing. :3

Now I feel like a dick.

I laughed because I thought it was a funny thing to say. Then you started replying to others being serious I was like wtf? And your joke is sarcasm.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Rebel_Scum:

Well... it was an odd mutation of a joke and real feelings I have, I guess? I don't know man.... I haven't slept in 56 hours so don't judge me.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By cornbredx

If they're telling you no, and your right ankle really is non inhibiting, it's because they are low on funds and so when that happens it gets harder to join. This won't change until we get a president that makes them go crazy again recruiting and then they'll lie to get people to join.  

Btw, all recruiters are liars. Keep that in mind.

Good luck though. Basic Training is not as hard as they tell you it is, but it is very demanding (depends on where you go too). I don't know, it could also be your age. I don't know how old you are though. Just a guess.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BraveToaster

Like someone else suggested, join the Air Force. Their physical fitness requirements are as demanding as the Army, you get to move off base earlier than you would in any other branch of service, and you'll have less deployments. If you want to be a part of SpecOps, look into becoming a Combat Controller, Pararescue or SERE.

madmurdock0311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By madmurdock0311

Not sure what you can do to ensure enlistment. However, I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry (0311) and I do not regret it at all. Don't listen to the naysayers that have no military experience, their advice is worthless. Except when they tell you to make certain that infantry is what you want to do; it's tough, you will be training your ass off, and you WILL go to Afghanistan, and you WILL see friends die, get shot, become amputees. You will likely take another persons life; Afghanistan is no joke. Physical readiness is easy, but it's not easy to prepare mentally for the things I've listed. There is even the chance that you will lose limbs or die, so make absolutely certain that this is what you want. The advice for joining the Air Force is not bad advice; they have a lot more money allotted, you can gain rank fast, and you can gain "real world" experience. Also, along with the Army, the Marines aren't accepting a lot of people right now, their numbers are high. Even experienced, decorated NCO's are being denied re-enlistment. It's a tough time to get in to the infantry, as crazy as that may sound.

Being Marine infantry is easily the greatest thing I've done with my life, and on top of that I am now going to school for free (and getting paid) while I watch friends struggle with student loan debt. Good luck to you.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38  Edited By Giantstalker

@madmurdock0311 said:

Don't listen to the naysayers that have no military experience, their advice is worthless.

This is so true it hurts. Been in the Canadian artillery for seven years, best decision I've made.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@madmurdock0311 said:

Not sure what you can do to ensure enlistment. However, I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry (0311) and I do not regret it at all. Don't listen to the naysayers that have no military experience, their advice is worthless. Except when they tell you to make certain that infantry is what you want to do; it's tough, you will be training your ass off, and you WILL go to Afghanistan, and you WILL see friends die, get shot, become amputees. You will likely take another persons life; Afghanistan is no joke. Physical readiness is easy, but it's not easy to prepare mentally for the things I've listed. There is even the chance that you will lose limbs or die, so make absolutely certain that this is what you want. The advice for joining the Air Force is not bad advice; they have a lot more money allotted, you can gain rank fast, and you can gain "real world" experience. Also, along with the Army, the Marines aren't accepting a lot of people right now, their numbers are high. Even experienced, decorated NCO's are being denied re-enlistment. It's a tough time to get in to the infantry, as crazy as that may sound.

Being Marine infantry is easily the greatest thing I've done with my life, and on top of that I am now going to school for free (and getting paid) while I watch friends struggle with student loan debt. Good luck to you.

Student Loan Debt > Risk of death, seeing friends get ripped up by bullets, killing innocent people that lived near a suspect terrorist.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jacksmedulla

@madmurdock0311: Just think, all you had to do to avoid student loan debt was kill some people, watch friends get killed/ injured, and risk your own life. With an amazing deal like that, how could anyone NOT want to join the military?

sf2733

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sf2733

@flindip: Umm no. I used to be an 11B in the 82nd, im still on ft bragg though. As far as my old unit went they would send any and everyone to PRC/ranger school. We litterally had E2's fresh out of airborne putting in PRC packets and going.

As for the original poster, my advice is look for other MOS'. As people have said before 11 series job description doesnt really transfer to anything other than being a cop, unless thats what you want to do of course.

sf2733

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sf2733

@jacksmedulla: Yeah bud you've got it all figured out, all we do is kill people. Your not even worth me wasting my time to elaborate. Keep on living in your fantasy land.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jacksmedulla

@sf2733: I didn't say that was the only thing military personnel do, just one of the things, and it is something I don't approve of. I would appreciate it if you would elaborate; perhaps you will be able to persuade me to move out of my "fantasy land".

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RockyRaccoon37
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

Tell her that she's the world to you.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FilipHolm

@jacksmedulla said:

@madmurdock0311: Just think, all you had to do to avoid student loan debt was kill some people, watch friends get killed/ injured, and risk your own life. With an amazing deal like that, how could anyone NOT want to join the military?

Dude, I'm all against war and would never encourage anyone to join the army for any reason, but isn't it kina respectless to say stuff like that to someone?

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jacksmedulla

@FilipHolm: Say stuff like what to someone? Why is it respect-less to call someone out for saying "hey, you might experience some fucked up shit like killing people, losing friends, or potentially dying yourself, but at least you won't have to pay for college!"?

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By flindip

@sf2733 said:

@flindip: Umm no. I used to be an 11B in the 82nd, im still on ft bragg though. As far as my old unit went they would send any and everyone to PRC/ranger school. We litterally had E2's fresh out of airborne putting in PRC packets and going.

As for the original poster, my advice is look for other MOS'. As people have said before 11 series job description doesnt really transfer to anything other than being a cop, unless thats what you want to do of course.

The only time I ever heard of privates getting sent to PRC/Ranger school were guys that had finished Ranger selection and were in an accelerated pipeline during the surge. You sure it wasn't RIP/RASP?

Maybe the pipeline has changed. But I doubt with the downsizing, that they will be sending E2's to Ranger school.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rohok

@cid798 said:

I'll try to fast track this, since I was young I wanted to be in the military. I've done everything to prepare post-entry which thankfully has led to any job I have being the best and rising the ranks fast.

I've hardware in my right ankle that inhibits me 0%. My current job is very physical. I make pallets for a leading chicken company. Involves the obvious heavy lifting but also anyone working in a warehouse can probably attest to circumventing some things to get the job done.

My problem is I want to join the U.S. Army and everything is hunky dorey except in my region the chief medical officer has a very high rate of those sent to boot succeeding and he will take no risks.

I'm looking for any alternative route, I've nothing holding me back physically and have always been up front in recruiting as well as missing only 1 question on ASVAB. Regardless I'm looking to go in as Infantry 11x.

I was born with a tight achilles tendon in my left leg that caused me to walk on my toes and prevented me from putting my heel flat down on the floor for 19 years. Just a year and a half ago I got surgery on my ankle and now I'm able to walk perfect, run great, and stand perfectly as if I had been able to my entire life. I went to MEPS once before my surgery and I was turned down, and just a few months ago I went back and was accepted. Is it something that's correctable? If so, you're able to get surgery and go back. Of course, before going, you should prepare all medical files, including pre-op, post-op, and operation data as well as a letter from both your surgical doctor and your physical therapist stating your readiness to participate in all physical activities the armed forces entails. You just need to get a medical waiver, really. Keep in mind that a medical waiver will prevent Airborne from being in your contract, but you'll be able to get it after attending basic and AIT (infantry school for infantry)

Just reading through some of these posts makes me laugh. Hardly anybody here knows what they're talking about. None of them have remotely experienced the comradery and sense of belonging the military provides for you. I'm 35M Human Intelligence Collector, I ship out to basic on October 29th and am going active duty enlisted. I was originally going to do Psy Ops for the reserves and get a commission through Army ROTC but I've decided to go this route- It's just going to be way better for me. Infantry will be a very fulfilling job. I won't give you any speeches but God it's so painfully obvious nobody on this forum knows what they're talking about or has the capacity to understand the dream a lot of people share of being in the Armed Forces. I hope whatever you need to do or have done gets you into your dream job. I know that if there's a will, there will most certainly be a way. You can ALWAYS go to a different recruiting station, even if it's out of state. Trust me, the threat of going somewhere else alone will make them work harder for you.

sf2733

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sf2733

@findip I've been in the q course for the last year so I can't say 100% but when I was in the 82nd we pretty much had unlimited slots for ranger school. I personally knew guys straight out of abn who went to prc. I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed.