#1 Posted by punkxblaze (2879 posts) -

And in case you didn't read the title; SPOILERS AHEAD.

Just got done watching the premiere. Gotta say, I'm far more excited for this season than I've been for any one since four. Killing Rita was probably the best thing they could have done for the series, even though it took two seasons for it to hit its full effect. What I mean by that is they were writing Dexter to a point where he was beginning to gain a true human side. That's wonderful character development and all, but it did not make for a compelling show. Seasons 5 and 6 started to walk that back a bit, but Season 7 seems to be the closest Dexter's come to his old, sociopathic glory in quite a while.

I also like that this is the first season in a while where I've felt some continuity. Generally the past couple seasons of Dexter have felt very weird and stand alone, with as little mention of previous seasons as possible. The Ice truck Killer and the Bay Harbor Butcher both felt like they had very little impact outside their respective seasons, so it's nice to have one season dovetail directly into the next in such a fashion, and also have those two factors finally come back in to play.

What about you? What did you think of the premiere? What do you want to see this season? Predictions?

#2 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

It was a good episode. I really didn't like Season 6, so this was definitely an improvement.

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4044 posts) -

I thought it was a good episode. Only thing that bothered me, and it's very minor in the grand scheme of things, is how the entire airport scene went down. It all seemed very sloppy from a writing standpoint. I get that it's a TV show and it isn't real blahblahblah, but he knocks a guy out in the bathroom, wheels him across the airport, breaks into the unclaimed baggage area, kills him, and then wheels him out and no one, security or otherwise, sees a damn thing? Again, very nitpicky, but it just took me out of the episode for a bit.

Other than that, I don't really have any complaints. I'm curious to see where this season will go simply because Deb obviously has a much, much larger part in the entire thing. She's almost as important as Dexter himself is this season.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the mob and the hot baby-sitter's boyfriend. I have absolutely zero clue what's up with either of those 2 parties, but I can say, I absolutely hate the boyfriend. I hate him as a character and an actor. I don't know why, but I wish he wasn't around. However, since he is, he better not fuck this season up.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I just watched it and.. I'm just glad Dexter's back. As much as the drama with Deb is interesting, I just want them to go back to Dexter 101, a silent assassin speaking to himself and hypnotizing the viewers. 

#5 Edited by punkxblaze (2879 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

I thought it was a good episode. Only thing that bothered me, and it's very minor in the grand scheme of things, is how the entire airport scene went down. It all seemed very sloppy from a writing standpoint. I get that it's a TV show and it isn't real blahblahblah, but he knocks a guy out in the bathroom, wheels him across the airport, breaks into the unclaimed baggage area, kills him, and then wheels him out and no one, security or otherwise, sees a damn thing? Again, very nitpicky, but it just took me out of the episode for a bit.

Other than that, I don't really have any complaints. I'm curious to see where this season will go simply because Deb obviously has a much, much larger part in the entire thing. She's almost as important as Dexter himself is this season.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the mob and the hot baby-sitter's boyfriend. I have absolutely zero clue what's up with either of those 2 parties, but I can say, I absolutely hate the boyfriend. I hate him as a character and an actor. I don't know why, but I wish he wasn't around. However, since he is, he better not fuck this season up.

Yeah, I see your point with the airport thing. Still, a far cry from the totally ludicrous kills he's been pulling off in the past couple seasons. The boyfriend, I have a feeling, is going to become a copycat Dexter of some sort. either way, he's gonna be dead by the end of the season, mark my words. Also I hope they kill off La Guerta in this season.

Also, Michael C. Hall was fucking phenomenal in this episode. His tone changes between faux sympathetic little brother Dexter trying to convince his big sister he made a mistake and sociopathic murderous Dexter thinking how to cover his tracks were spot on.

#6 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Jennifer Carpenter was great too, she really can do the emotional stuff well.

#7 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

LOVED IT!

I knew Deb would find out eventually, but I was not expecting it to be in the first episode. I was expecting them to drag it out. LOVE that they had the balls to do what they did.

#8 Edited by BoOzak (840 posts) -

The episode was alright and i'm glad they didnt drag out the denial part, but the thing that defines each season for me is the antagonist. Season 3 for me was the worst, because "the skinner" was such a forgettable character. One could argue that Miguel was the main antagonist, as Lila was in season 2 but still, it was dissapointing. As interesting as this dynamic between Deb & Dexter is I dont think it can carry a season alone.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Was good, they surprised me in how they handled it.

I still think Lila was the best part of the entire show but this is very promising.

#10 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1521 posts) -

Great start! Hope they can keep it up. And kill Quinn. Seriously, does anyone like Quinn?

Also, if Dexter's excuse to the babysitter while out killing is that he's working late, maybe he shouldn't have hired HIS CO-WORKER'S SISTER. It's a wonder he didn't get caught sooner.

#11 Posted by YI_Orange (1075 posts) -

I liked it and I'm pretty excited for the season. I'm glad they went and made Deb find out in the first episode. I expect the rest of the season(maybe even some of season 8) will be her trying to cope with it, and she'll probably find out he's the BHB. Also, as far as I'm concerned, kill everyone but those two. I basically watch the show for Dexter, but Deb is fine, everyone else is bleh(and I hate Laguerta).

#12 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Great start! Hope they can keep it up. And kill Quinn. Seriously, does anyone like Quinn?

Also, if Dexter's excuse to the babysitter while out killing is that he's working late, maybe he shouldn't have hired HIS CO-WORKER'S SISTER. It's a wonder he didn't get caught sooner.

Hey. You. Cut that out. I like Quinn.

#13 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1521 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

I guess I shouldn't have assumed. He may live.

#14 Posted by solidwolf52 (295 posts) -

I really dug it. I like that someone in his everyday life is finally finding out who Dexter truly is. It'll be interesting to see Deb being torn between Dexter and the law.

I'm thinking the big bad will either be the babysitter's boyfriend or those Ukrainian guys.

#15 Posted by Zella (625 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

I agree, his entire character is worth it just so we can see him an Bautista hang out.

In general I found the episode to be alright, better than anything from 5 or 6 but still lacking behind the awesomeness of 2 and 1(3 was kind of meh). I really disliked them killing off the new detective dude, he was around for so little I can't even remember his name. I mean why bring in a brand new character last season just so he can be used as a tool to introduce the mafia into this season. It just felt like they were trying to add shock value by killing him, yet I doubt anyone really had any attachment to him. Dexter having multiple passports in his escape bag was pretty unrealistic in my opinion, I really doubt he'd have the resources to make multiple fake passports. Dexter facing off against the russian mafia possibly is also pretty far fetched.

On the other hand as mentioned before Michael C. Hall was incredible again throughout the entire episode. I also really appreciated them having Deb piece together Dexter's secret and cut through his bullshit in just the one episode instead of having her slowly figure it out over the course of the season making her seem like a total retard. By the way does anyone else think Dexter's dad was totally insane? I mean don't take the kid to therapy or anything where they could help Dex deal with his issues, no instead teach him to not get caught at being a serial killer.

Overall I think my interest in Dexter as a series has started to dwindle due to the last 2 seasons being pretty lackluster and with shows like Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Boardwalk Empire etc. being so so good it's just doesn't seem as interesting.

#16 Posted by punkxblaze (2879 posts) -

@Zella said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

I agree, his entire character is worth it just so we can see him an Bautista hang out.

In general I found the episode to be alright, better than anything from 5 or 6 but still lacking behind the awesomeness of 2 and 1(3 was kind of meh). I really disliked them killing off the new detective dude, he was around for so little I can't even remember his name. I mean why bring in a brand new character last season just so he can be used as a tool to introduce the mafia into this season. It just felt like they were trying to add shock value by killing him, yet I doubt anyone really had any attachment to him. Dexter having multiple passports in his escape bag was pretty unrealistic in my opinion, I really doubt he'd have the resources to make multiple fake passports. Dexter facing off against the russian mafia possibly is also pretty far fetched.

On the other hand as mentioned before Michael C. Hall was incredible again throughout the entire episode. I also really appreciated them having Deb piece together Dexter's secret and cut through his bullshit in just the one episode instead of having her slowly figure it out over the course of the season making her seem like a total retard. By the way does anyone else think Dexter's dad was totally insane? I mean don't take the kid to therapy or anything where they could help Dex deal with his issues, no instead teach him to not get caught at being a serial killer.

Overall I think my interest in Dexter as a series has started to dwindle due to the last 2 seasons being pretty lackluster and with shows like Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Boardwalk Empire etc. being so so good it's just doesn't seem as interesting.

Mike something. I feel like killing him served two purposes. A: Bringing in the mob element and B: Cutting him out of the show when there was nowhere to take him. In fact, a lot of this episode felt like it was rapidly cutting pieces out that the clusterfuck of a sixth season injected (Deb's romantic subplot seems to have hit a brick wall with the big reveal, for example). What I really liked about all this was Deb not being stupid. Her character has been insufferable for what seems like forever now, but in this case she did everything right. She asked the right questions, she looked for the right information, she was resourceful instead of just being an emotional wreck.

#17 Posted by csl316 (7392 posts) -

It was great. I'll admit it hasn't been amazing since season 4 (though there have been some awesome episodes since then), but I'm really looking forward to what happens now. I think knowing that a series is ending always reinvigorates a creative team. Let's them build toward something and creates an atmosphere of "ok, no more fucking around."

#18 Posted by pyromagnestir (3977 posts) -

So how did they handle the Deb loves Dexter bit? Is that still a thing, or was that thrown out the window immediately because she found out about his hobby. Oh, nvm @punkxblaze: has me covered.

All the good buzz for this season has me the most tempted I've been since season 3 started to watch this show on a weekly basis as it airs. Man those first two seasons were so good. And then I thought it got so bad that I just decided to give up on the show before season 6 even started airing. Now I'm eager to jump back in.

#19 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

I really liked how at the end of the episode, Deb finds out everything. I thought it was gonna go on the entire season of her slowly investigating him.

#20 Posted by dudeglove (7276 posts) -

Humm... I thought Michael C. Hall had signed on for two more seasons, not one.

#21 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

I'm just glad they've decided to wrap it up before everyone gets bored by it.

#22 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

I'm just glad they've decided to wrap it up before everyone gets bored by it.

They're a few years too late for that. Most people dropped out after

and they continued on like nothing had ever changed.

#23 Posted by ez123 (1903 posts) -

@Wrighteous86: You can't say most people dropped out when the ratings keep going up. It's nonsense.

#24 Posted by ShaggE (5999 posts) -

Fingers crossed for a turnaround in quality. That, and a spinoff called "The Many Hats of Batista", but a good season of Dexter will do for now.

#25 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

@ez123 said:

@Wrighteous86: You can't say most people dropped out when the ratings keep going up. It's nonsense.

Have the ratings been going up? Didn't know that. If true I withdraw my comment. I was just going off of hearsay and speculation.

I know this premiere went well, but I figured that's because they finally shook up the formula for the first time in a long time.

#26 Posted by Ben_H (3220 posts) -
@dudeglove said:

Humm... I thought Michael C. Hall had signed on for two more seasons, not one.

He did from what I hear. Until the end of Season 8.
#27 Posted by Osaladin (2503 posts) -

Back to season 2 roots, which was one of the best seasons of any show ever. I hope Deb doesn't start tagging along on his kills though, we don't need a repeat of that other chick.

#28 Edited by Microshock (333 posts) -

It was the first legitimately good episode since the last episode of Season 4. Season 5 was total total trash, and the actor that played Lumen was terrible. If you know people watching this show from the beginning, tell them to SKIP THAT SEASON. THEY DON'T NEED IT. Season 6 was EH, it was watchable but really nothing special, a bit silly.

I hope they keep the quality up for this, it'd be great if they did, because it feels like the first significant story change for Dexter once again...since Season 4.

#29 Posted by Wraxend (540 posts) -

So long as LaGuerta dies in this series I'll be happy. Ever since the first episode I've just wanted her to get killed off, no idea why just never clicked with her like the rest of the gang.

#30 Posted by ShaggE (5999 posts) -

@Microshock said:

It was the first legitimately good episode since the last episode of Season 4. Season 5 was total total trash, and the actor that played Lumen was terrible. If you know people watching this show from the beginning, tell them to SKIP THAT SEASON. THEY DON'T NEED IT. Season 6 was EH, it was watchable but really nothing special, a bit silly.

I always hear the opposite (5 was okay, 6 was unbearable), and I'm glad to see someone agree that 5 was the worse of the two. I never even finished season 5, it was so bad. At least 6 was stupid to the point of funny and watchable.

#31 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

For me Season 4 was the best. I really looked forward to what was going to happen in the next episode. That's how I feel about this next episode of Season 7. I absolutely agree with you that we don't want another Lumen.

#32 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I liked it. I was afraid they'd gloss over last season's ending and try to backwalk, but they were brave and moved things forward. Season 6 was a disappointment, but so far they look to be back on track.

And yeah, as far as I know Michael C. Hall signed on for seasons 7 and a season 8. I suppose it's possible that they'll stop after this season, but I'm pretty sure they want to wrap everything up in two.

#33 Posted by dudeglove (7276 posts) -

@Osaladin said:

Back to season 2 roots, which was one of the best seasons of any show ever. I hope Deb doesn't start tagging along on his kills though, we don't need a repeat of that other chick.

I don't understand the hate for whatshisface. She wasn't bad. Season three stank something terrible.

#34 Posted by Microshock (333 posts) -

The thing is, the premise is so promising. Finally Debra knows, this person that has known him his whole life and fully trusts him. What does she do to the person she loves (the whole incest but its NOT REALLY INCEST storyline is kind of weird)?

I hate having high hopes for the episodes, because they really had a chance to push the series forward with the end of Season 4 and failed miserably, I can't say I won't be disappointed again.

#35 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

@Microshock: I don't think she'll follow up on that with her mind broken, again.

#36 Posted by YI_Orange (1075 posts) -

@Microshock: Well, now they're working toward an end. The series will definitely not go any longer than 8 seasons. With Deb finding out so early though(which don't get me wrong, I'm glad she put everything together so quickly), I wonder how they'd deal with 2 more seasons. There's going to be time of Deb trying to cope with it, maybe trying to help him change. There's going to be more internal conflict as LaGuerta looking into the BHB case comes to light and Deb is forced to kind of take on his role and pretend to investigate something she's hiding. Eventually I expect it will all fall apart though. I just wonder if it ends with him getting caught or killed, if this has a happy ending I will be immensely disappointed. There's still the stuff with the creepy dude and the mafia, but I wonder how they're going to justify stretching this whole thing with Deb another potential 23 episodes.

#37 Posted by Microshock (333 posts) -

He's going to be on the run by Season 8 I think..if you're right about it having to come to an end? Who says it does?

Maybe he just SIGNED on for 2 more seasons, and in 2 more seasons, will sign on for more.

#38 Posted by pschulein (1 posts) -

loved the episode, simply amazing. and my prediction, as crazy as it may sound. doakes will be returning by some point this season. keep in mind, no one ever knew if he was truly dead at the end of season 2. it was just expected based on what we as an audience saw, and the body that they said matched his description, yet they couldnt positively ID it. and secondly, at some point or another the final episode of this season was titled "surprise motherfucker" and now its been changed, or just taken down to avoid the spoiler. but just you wait and see, doakes will be back. plus in the books he was never dead anyways.

#39 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

They got the only good thing about Dollhouse and they killed him off. (I'm talking about Viktor here. Funnily enough, his name was also Victor on that show). Was nice to see him again though.

#40 Posted by Imissyou (24 posts) -

NOT FAIR. I only got upto season 2 before the freeview went down ....anyone know how I can watch it for free :P

#41 Posted by csl316 (7392 posts) -

Any place I can legally watch this online? I'm willing to give Showtime money, I just don't have satellite. Is there an online only subscription thing or is it stupidly tied to your cable provider?

#42 Posted by punkxblaze (2879 posts) -

@csl316 said:

Any place I can legally watch this online? I'm willing to give Showtime money, I just don't have satellite. Is there an online only subscription thing or is it stupidly tied to your cable provider?

Am not sure.

That was a bit slower of an episode than the premiere. Deb's way of dealing with Dexter is understandably conflicted, and perhaps a bit misguided, so we'll see how that goes. Louis has me perplexed. I can't tell if Dexter legitimately scared the shit out of him, or if he was just acting, because he seems continuously willing to fuck with Dexter. The touch of Dexter deciding not to kill him was nice, I guess, but his resolve will probably be shaken now that he watched that dude who said all that stuff about surrendering throw himself in front of a semi.

Also SCARY GANGSTERS. Good on Quinn for not fucking the stripper, maybe there's hope for him as a character.

#43 Posted by csl316 (7392 posts) -
@punkxblaze

@csl316 said:

Am not sure.

That was a bit slower of an episode than the premiere. Deb's way of dealing with Dexter is understandably conflicted, and perhaps a bit misguided, so we'll see how that goes. Louis has me perplexed. I can't tell if Dexter legitimately scared the shit out of him, or if he was just acting, because he seems continuously willing to fuck with Dexter. The touch of Dexter deciding not to kill him was nice, I guess, but his resolve will probably be shaken now that he watched that dude who said all that stuff about surrendering throw himself in front of a semi.

Also SCARY GANGSTERS. Good on Quinn for not fucking the stripper, maybe there's hope for him as a character.

There isn't a way.

Best line delivery of the night was "Why are you fucking with me??" Louis has to be a part of something bigger. I coulda sworn they said they were setting up something with him last season. The credits had some marketing thing named Dexter's Disciples so maybe that'll play into the show?

And come now, Quinn's totally going to hook up with that stripper. After they stop crashing the place the show still has to meet its Showtime boob quota.
#44 Edited by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

That guy is going to end up on a table. They all are. I was kind of underwhelmed by how Deb reacted. I thought she'd flip out completely, but she's obviously very fond of Dexter. I kind of wanted her to turn hostile to be honest, that'd be pretty cool.

#45 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

I didn't really care for this episode. I don't really like how they handled the whole Deb and Dexter thing. The best part of the episode was the screwdriver in the eye. Dude does not fuck around. I was hoping Louis would wake up while Dexter and Deb were talking outside his car. Then Deb would assume Dexter kills innocent people as well which could make this more interesting maybe. I'll continue watching because I do love me some Dexter and there is nothing else on TV right now I care to watch. Hopefully it picks up next episode.

#46 Posted by punkxblaze (2879 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I didn't really care for this episode. I don't really like how they handled the whole Deb and Dexter thing. The best part of the episode was the screwdriver in the eye. Dude does not fuck around. I was hoping Louis would wake up while Dexter and Deb were talking outside his car. Then Deb would assume Dexter kills innocent people as well which could make this more interesting maybe. I'll continue watching because I do love me some Dexter and there is nothing else on TV right now I care to watch. Hopefully it picks up next episode.

Yeah, I was hoping that as well. I was a little disappointed with the slower pace of the episode, what with the premeire's almost breakneck speed last week, but I guess from this episode on we move into setting up the rest of the season with Louis, the Russian Mafia, and LaGuerta being on the hunt. I'll throw them a bone in the fact that I like how they're handling LaGuerta here. Nothing too overt, just enough to keep that plot thread in our minds while everything else is going on.

#47 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

How the hell is that show in its 7th season, god time flies. Is he still a serial killer of serial killers? Actually can someone sum up for me what has happened since season 1 spoilers are welcome I'm just curious where they have taken this series

#48 Posted by dudeglove (7276 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

How the hell is that show in its 7th season, god time flies. Is he still a serial killer of serial killers? Actually can someone sum up for me what has happened since season 1 spoilers are welcome I'm just curious where they have taken this series

Season 1: Kills his long lost brother, who Debra was banging.

Season 2: Almost gets caught by the FBI but Doakes takes the fall. Dexter pretends to be a heroin addict and bangs some English chick; you get to see her knockers.

Season 3: Went to shit because of the Writers Strike. Rita gives birth to Dexter's son (I think).

Season 4: John Lithgow is super creepy and Rita gets murdered in front of Dexter's child.

Season 5: Kills a group of serial rapists with survivor Julia Stiles, whom everyone seemed to hate. Dexter also bangs Julia.

Season 6: Kills Tom Hanks son. Debra suddenly realizes she wants to bang Dexter.

Season 7: Debra (probably) dies, but (probably) not before banging Dexter. Probably.

#49 Posted by TheHumanDove (2399 posts) -

Am I the only one that really liked Julia Stiles and most of season 5?

#50 Posted by Shaka999 (424 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@Osaladin said:

I don't understand the hate for whatshisface. She wasn't bad. Season three stank something terrible.

Thank you! Season 5 was meh, and Season 6 had potential. but season 3 was just straight up stupid.