• 160 results
#1 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

So Stephen Totilo had a story at http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/console-war-revisionist-history-alert/ (dead link now) where you could vote for the winner of this generation of console wars. A choice between Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and ... PC. His story was basically "no Wii? That's strange, etc." ... except the voting is tied to a competition. The contest is at https://www.playfire.com/a/blog (this is NOT a referral link) and you get extra chances to win if you refer people...

Stephen Totilo put a story up on Kotaku about a shitty competition and put a referral link in the story but did not mention how it benefited him. The story has been taken down now... but man, that's got to be the nail in the Kotaku coffin... as if Brian Ashcraft's obsession with sexy cosplay, Gundam and other "news" wasn't bad enough.

#2 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

but man, that's got to be the nail in the Kotaku coffin...

Bet you it isn't. Bet you fifty dollars.

#3 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

Well no ... I don't think they'll be out of business. I meant more on a personal/credibility level. Lies and rumours ... it's worse than Destructoid.

#4 Posted by bybeach (4894 posts) -

I wish I understood....I do not get out much beyond GB, and the New releases/ some other stuff section at GS...

#5 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

That already happened. When you link to Kotaku now, some people won't click it out of principle. If anything, this is what we've come to expect from Kotaku.

And, uh, I didn't mean to come off so snarky in that last post. It was just a joke.

#6 Posted by BisonHero (6673 posts) -
#7 Posted by RJay_64 (631 posts) -

Kotaku turned me off when they tried to force that hideous interface redesign on us last year.

#8 Posted by stise (89 posts) -

Anyone who enjoys an involuntary eye twitch or three should take a look at the "Top 100 Games of All Time" post on that playfire site.

#9 Posted by Village_Guy (2631 posts) -

They didn't need to pull the story, just update the link so he didn't get referrals from it, anyway Playfire is an alright site, and I don't think their system works with the Wii which would explain why it isn't on the list.

#10 Edited by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

All I know is David Jaffe let Stephen Totilo know everything he thought about Kotaku, and that's good enough for me.

#11 Posted by MonetaryDread (2070 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

All I know is David Jaffe let Stephen Totilo know everything he thought about Kotaku, and that's good enough for me.

Damn that was a great listen. Go David Jaffe.

#12 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Whoa that is gold ... Jaffe is one of those guys that I always respect even if I'm not the no.1 fan of his games... sort of like Lorne Lanning.

Anyway, I know it's not big news, but I feel like shit blog sites get away with too much. I have nothing against PlayFire, but Kotaku should be better than this... should be.

for the record I didn't think you were being snarky ... much ;)

#13 Posted by Fattony12000 (7517 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

Well no ... I don't think they'll be out of business. I meant more on a personal/credibility level. Lies and rumours ... it's worse than Destructoid.

#14 Edited by Three0neFive (2297 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@PandaBear said:

i honestly don't understand how anyone can dislike this man.

not even being sarcastic, jim is fucking hysterical.

#15 Posted by Fattony12000 (7517 posts) -

@Three0neFive said:

@Fattony12000 said:

@PandaBear said:

i honestly don't understand how anyone can dislike this man.

not even being sarcastic, jim is fucking hysterical.

Jim is thug life.

#16 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I got a lifetime ban on Kotaku for writing...

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

#17 Posted by fetchfox (1288 posts) -

@Seppli: I do hope you're joking. But still, Kotaku is... well, all that's been said here. It seems more business that blog.

#18 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

@Seppli: I do hope you're joking. But still, Kotaku is... well, all that's been said here. It seems more business that blog.

Nope - it's exactly what happend.

#19 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5036 posts) -

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

#20 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

as if Brian Ashcraft's obsession with sexy cosplay, Gundam and other "news" wasn't bad enough.

Brian Ashcraft's stories are the only reason I occasionally regret deleting my Kotaku bookmark.

I wish there was a site where I could just read his stories. At least he sticks to his guns and doesn't pretend like he doesn't.

And what's wrong with Gundam?

#21 Posted by GS_Dan (1405 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

Nope, I saw lots of people get buried for doing that. The Kotaku readership are apparently very fond of learning about how a game that will never come out in their country will come with a sexy pillowcase or some shit.

Shit, I was a starred commentor over there before I left. >_>

#22 Posted by MattyFTM (14416 posts) -

Kotaku haven't had any credibility for years.

#23 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Seppli said:

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

Mine came from using the word "Bitchcraft" and Bryan Ashcraft didn't fancy it. As if Kotaku was worth clicking to begin with.

And what's better, they kept my password around for hackers to steal and put in a torrent.
#24 Posted by MachoFantastico (4788 posts) -

Kotaku and Destructoid... the horrors of video game journalism.  

Please don't defend Jim Sterling, can't stand him. 

#25 Edited by Three0neFive (2297 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

@fetchfox said:

The Kotaku readership are apparently very fond of learning about how a game that will never come out in their country will come with a sexy pillowcase or some shit.

You realize Giant Bomb used to host images of anime children being blasted with cum and straight-up raped, right? Your point about Kotaku being perverted is kind of moot.

#26 Posted by WarlordPayne (701 posts) -

Kotaku has been useless since the Gawker redesign. It caused them to lose a huge chunk of their visitors and they responded by putting up as many stories of scantily clad or fully nude women as they could.

That's not to say that they weren't kinda shitty before then, but as long as you avoided certain editors you could get some decent information.

#27 Edited by dudeglove (8010 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Okay I now dislike less (edit: sorry, typo) Jaffe after hearing that rant.

Please, folks, please stop giving Gawker media hits. That fiasco with the Magic The Gathering guy a year or so ago was a clear example of how far they'll lower themselves in the pursuit of traffic.

Also, someone, like, just get rid of Tim Rogers. Just delete him off the internet and never speak of him again.

#28 Posted by GS_Dan (1405 posts) -

@Three0neFive said:

@GS_Dan said:

@fetchfox said:

The Kotaku readership are apparently very fond of learning about how a game that will never come out in their country will come with a sexy pillowcase or some shit.

You realize Giant Bomb used to host images of anime children being blasted with cum and straight-up raped, right? Your point about Kotaku being perverted is kind of moot.

Pretty sure that wasn't the staff though. Although, Jeff...

#29 Edited by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@Seppli said:

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

You insensitive asshole!

you never stopped and maybe thought for 2 seconds, that the guy maybe had a really rough week and forgot to post the news because he left them at home, 5 times in a row??? huh? no you didnt you asshole!

@MrKlorox said:

@Seppli said:

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

Mine came from using the word "Bitchcraft" and Bryan Ashcraft didn't fancy it. As if Kotaku was worth clicking to begin with. And what's better, they kept my password around for hackers to steal and put in a torrent.

Heh, i know he wants to make it appear cool with his name being Ashcraft and all, but all i can think of is Asscraft when i see that name.

#30 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I still browse Kotaku half at times but often for videos and pictures, the people who write that nonsense make my skin crawl.

But this ain't news, I'm amazed these lads still keep writing, after all the bad blowouts over the years.

#31 Posted by ThunderSlash (1822 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

@Three0neFive said:

@GS_Dan said:

@fetchfox said:

Pretty sure that wasn't the staff though. Although, Jeff...

#32 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@EvilKatarn said:

@PandaBear said:

as if Brian Ashcraft's obsession with sexy cosplay, Gundam and other "news" wasn't bad enough.

Brian Ashcraft's stories are the only reason I occasionally regret deleting my Kotaku bookmark.

I wish there was a site where I could just read his stories. At least he sticks to his guns and doesn't pretend like he doesn't.

And what's wrong with Gundam?

Taken from Gawker's advertsing profiles:

"Kotaku is the definitive digital hub for video game news, reviews, cheats, design, and entertainment. It tracks the genre's spreading popularity from hardcore obsession to casual gaming in pop culture and social media."

Off the top of my head I recall the time Brian Ashcraft wrote about a Japanese homeless man dying near an arcade which he disgustingly tried to relate to video games. Then there's his love of cosplay, cosplay, cosplay. Anime/hentai, anime/hentai, anime/hentai. Perverted crap, perverted crap, perverted crap. Gundamand Gundam. Not news, not news , not news and not even interesting... why bother reading his crap at all? It's offensive what they do for page views.

"Read by both developers and the players who idolize them, Kotaku is the lifestyle bible for millions of button-pushers and console fiends." -Kotaku advertising profile.

So he wants to write about junk? Go crazy. But let's not act like this is anything more than "Japanese girls are hot" and "Kotaku needs more clicks, here's some non-news". Then they attempt to do real news... but the credibilty is gone. It brings down gamers as a whole and makes game journalists look like horny otaku losers. Kotaku isn't a video game site, it was once...

If you want you can filter Kotaku to show only his stories... if you're into that stuff. Also, I was probably a little hard on Gundam.

#33 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

You have my full attention.

#34 Posted by N7 (3594 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

That is the coolest thing in the world.
#35 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

"Kotaku is the definitive digital hub for video game news, reviews, cheats, design, and entertainment. It tracks the genre's spreading popularity from hardcore obsession to casual gaming in pop culture and social media."

And it is not that. I never said Kotaku was good in any way. Just that Brian Ashcraft is the most consistent writer there. Granted, his "stories" do not belong on a site claiming to be about videogames but they are the most entertaining when compared to the other "serious journalism" crap they post on occasion. And when they do post "serious journalism" it's a gurl gamer's 15 page essay about how rude young boys are in online games. Frankly, compared to that I'd gladly take a dedicated Bashcraft site anyday.

#36 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

I would also love to know more about this Sexy Cosplay party. Also Jim Sterling is pretty great.

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -
#38 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

I don't mind Kotaku. There are interesting articles and news amongst the stupid shit they mainly post. I can't stand Brian Ashcroft though. His contributions to the site are fucking stupid and he's a complete dick when he responds to users in the comment section.

#39 Posted by Trilogy (2672 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

What was all of that over? I need a little context here. I'm so out of of the loop with all this Kotaku stuff since I never visit their site.

#40 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

I would also love to know more about this Sexy Cosplay party. Also Jim Sterling is pretty great.

I think the Jimquistion is actually not bad ... hate what he does on Destructoid ... but he's not all bad.

http://kotaku.com/people/ashcraft/posts That's Kotaku with on Ashcraft stories... But I don't see how you can bash other writers on that site (who usually also suck) and defend this. Different strokes I guess...

#41 Posted by BonOrbitz (2212 posts) -

@RJay_64 said:

Kotaku turned me off when they tried to force that hideous interface redesign on us last year.

Same here. I just couldn't get used to the redesign because I couldn't get over the clunkiness. It felt I had to dig harder than I was used to for information.

I've stopped going there and get my news from Joystiq and IGN and come to have fun and participate in the community on GiantBomb.

#42 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Well, I can see from this thread that my boycott of Kotaku has no reason to end.

#43 Posted by moffattron9000 (356 posts) -

You think Kotaku's bad but when you look at some of the crap pulled by other Gawker sites this quite frankly comes off as tame. For example at CES 2008 Gizmodo used a device to go around and turn off the tv's at the event.

#44 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -

I left them around the redesign, never felt the need to go back. Too much shit to wade through to get to any good articles. 

#45 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

@Trilogy said:

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

What was all of that over? I need a little context here. I'm so out of of the loop with all this Kotaku stuff since I never visit their site.

I would also like to know what they wrote about Jaffe

#46 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Forget Destructoid.

Kotaku is the fucking worst.

#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

PC WINS MOTHERFUCKERS 

I mean that website sucks.

#48 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

That's pretty reprehensible.

https://www.playfire.com/ps3-xbox-pc/TCD4SI

#49 Edited by CountMacula (235 posts) -

@Crixaliz said:

@Trilogy said:

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I would also like to know what they wrote about Jaffe

From what I recall, he said something stupid in the heat of the moment on Gametrailers during the lead up to Twisted Metal's release along the lines of "If your girlfriend beats you at TM, you'll be getting a blowjob for sure" (really paraphrasing there), and a new reporter at Kotaku called him a misogynist, and then in a follow up story where he tries to apologise and say how he fucked up, she basically cut up a bunch of the quotes. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I remember that comment getting totally blown out of proportion.

There was some twitter war stuff between him and Leigh Alexander where she drunkenly tweeted that if she had worked on the game, she'd pretend she didn't out of embarrassment (not based on his blowjob comment, but on the game itself) which ended up getting pulled into the misogyny shitshow.

#50 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

Kotaku is a piece of shit so this doesn't surprise me.