Did anyone else see that article get pulled off Kotaku today?

• 160 results
PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PandaBear

So Stephen Totilo had a story at http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/console-war-revisionist-history-alert/ (dead link now) where you could vote for the winner of this generation of console wars. A choice between Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and ... PC. His story was basically "no Wii? That's strange, etc." ... except the voting is tied to a competition. The contest is at https://www.playfire.com/a/blog (this is NOT a referral link) and you get extra chances to win if you refer people...

Stephen Totilo put a story up on Kotaku about a shitty competition and put a referral link in the story but did not mention how it benefited him. The story has been taken down now... but man, that's got to be the nail in the Kotaku coffin... as if Brian Ashcraft's obsession with sexy cosplay, Gundam and other "news" wasn't bad enough.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

@PandaBear said:

but man, that's got to be the nail in the Kotaku coffin...

Bet you it isn't. Bet you fifty dollars.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PandaBear

Well no ... I don't think they'll be out of business. I meant more on a personal/credibility level. Lies and rumours ... it's worse than Destructoid.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bybeach

I wish I understood....I do not get out much beyond GB, and the New releases/ some other stuff section at GS...

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald

That already happened. When you link to Kotaku now, some people won't click it out of principle. If anything, this is what we've come to expect from Kotaku.

And, uh, I didn't mean to come off so snarky in that last post. It was just a joke.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BisonHero
RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7  Edited By RJay_64

Kotaku turned me off when they tried to force that hideous interface redesign on us last year.

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stise

Anyone who enjoys an involuntary eye twitch or three should take a look at the "Top 100 Games of All Time" post on that playfire site.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't need to pull the story, just update the link so he didn't get referrals from it, anyway Playfire is an alright site, and I don't think their system works with the Wii which would explain why it isn't on the list.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doctorchimp

All I know is David Jaffe let Stephen Totilo know everything he thought about Kotaku, and that's good enough for me.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monetarydread

@Doctorchimp said:

All I know is David Jaffe let Stephen Totilo know everything he thought about Kotaku, and that's good enough for me.

Damn that was a great listen. Go David Jaffe.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PandaBear

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Whoa that is gold ... Jaffe is one of those guys that I always respect even if I'm not the no.1 fan of his games... sort of like Lorne Lanning.

Anyway, I know it's not big news, but I feel like shit blog sites get away with too much. I have nothing against PlayFire, but Kotaku should be better than this... should be.

for the record I didn't think you were being snarky ... much ;)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By fattony12000

@PandaBear said:

Well no ... I don't think they'll be out of business. I meant more on a personal/credibility level. Lies and rumours ... it's worse than Destructoid.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Three0neFive

@Fattony12000 said:

@PandaBear said:

i honestly don't understand how anyone can dislike this man.

not even being sarcastic, jim is fucking hysterical.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fattony12000

@Three0neFive said:

@Fattony12000 said:

@PandaBear said:

i honestly don't understand how anyone can dislike this man.

not even being sarcastic, jim is fucking hysterical.

Jim is thug life.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

I got a lifetime ban on Kotaku for writing...

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fetchfox

@Seppli: I do hope you're joking. But still, Kotaku is... well, all that's been said here. It seems more business that blog.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Seppli

@fetchfox said:

@Seppli: I do hope you're joking. But still, Kotaku is... well, all that's been said here. It seems more business that blog.

Nope - it's exactly what happend.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlexanderSheen

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By EvilKatarn

@PandaBear said:

as if Brian Ashcraft's obsession with sexy cosplay, Gundam and other "news" wasn't bad enough.

Brian Ashcraft's stories are the only reason I occasionally regret deleting my Kotaku bookmark.

I wish there was a site where I could just read his stories. At least he sticks to his guns and doesn't pretend like he doesn't.

And what's wrong with Gundam?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By GS_Dan

@fetchfox said:

Nope, I saw lots of people get buried for doing that. The Kotaku readership are apparently very fond of learning about how a game that will never come out in their country will come with a sexy pillowcase or some shit.

Shit, I was a starred commentor over there before I left. >_>

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Kotaku haven't had any credibility for years.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox
@Seppli said:

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

Mine came from using the word "Bitchcraft" and Bryan Ashcraft didn't fancy it. As if Kotaku was worth clicking to begin with.

And what's better, they kept my password around for hackers to steal and put in a torrent.
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24  Edited By MachoFantastico

Kotaku and Destructoid... the horrors of video game journalism.  

Please don't defend Jim Sterling, can't stand him. 

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Three0neFive

@GS_Dan said:

@fetchfox said:

The Kotaku readership are apparently very fond of learning about how a game that will never come out in their country will come with a sexy pillowcase or some shit.

You realize Giant Bomb used to host images of anime children being blasted with cum and straight-up raped, right? Your point about Kotaku being perverted is kind of moot.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WarlordPayne

Kotaku has been useless since the Gawker redesign. It caused them to lose a huge chunk of their visitors and they responded by putting up as many stories of scantily clad or fully nude women as they could.

That's not to say that they weren't kinda shitty before then, but as long as you avoided certain editors you could get some decent information.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By GS_Dan

@Three0neFive said:

@GS_Dan said:

@fetchfox said:

The Kotaku readership are apparently very fond of learning about how a game that will never come out in their country will come with a sexy pillowcase or some shit.

You realize Giant Bomb used to host images of anime children being blasted with cum and straight-up raped, right? Your point about Kotaku being perverted is kind of moot.

Pretty sure that wasn't the staff though. Although, Jeff...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Seppli said:

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

You insensitive asshole!

you never stopped and maybe thought for 2 seconds, that the guy maybe had a really rough week and forgot to post the news because he left them at home, 5 times in a row??? huh? no you didnt you asshole!

@MrKlorox said:

@Seppli said:

This isn't news.

I know, I'm a monster.

Mine came from using the word "Bitchcraft" and Bryan Ashcraft didn't fancy it. As if Kotaku was worth clicking to begin with. And what's better, they kept my password around for hackers to steal and put in a torrent.

Heh, i know he wants to make it appear cool with his name being Ashcraft and all, but all i can think of is Asscraft when i see that name.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I still browse Kotaku half at times but often for videos and pictures, the people who write that nonsense make my skin crawl.

But this ain't news, I'm amazed these lads still keep writing, after all the bad blowouts over the years.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThunderSlash

@GS_Dan said:

@Three0neFive said:

@GS_Dan said:

@fetchfox said:

Pretty sure that wasn't the staff though. Although, Jeff...

No Caption Provided
PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PandaBear

@EvilKatarn said:

@PandaBear said:

as if Brian Ashcraft's obsession with sexy cosplay, Gundam and other "news" wasn't bad enough.

Brian Ashcraft's stories are the only reason I occasionally regret deleting my Kotaku bookmark.

I wish there was a site where I could just read his stories. At least he sticks to his guns and doesn't pretend like he doesn't.

And what's wrong with Gundam?

Taken from Gawker's advertsing profiles:

"Kotaku is the definitive digital hub for video game news, reviews, cheats, design, and entertainment. It tracks the genre's spreading popularity from hardcore obsession to casual gaming in pop culture and social media."

Off the top of my head I recall the time Brian Ashcraft wrote about a Japanese homeless man dying near an arcade which he disgustingly tried to relate to video games. Then there's his love of cosplay, cosplay, cosplay. Anime/hentai, anime/hentai, anime/hentai. Perverted crap, perverted crap, perverted crap. Gundamand Gundam. Not news, not news , not news and not even interesting... why bother reading his crap at all? It's offensive what they do for page views.

"Read by both developers and the players who idolize them, Kotaku is the lifestyle bible for millions of button-pushers and console fiends." -Kotaku advertising profile.

So he wants to write about junk? Go crazy. But let's not act like this is anything more than "Japanese girls are hot" and "Kotaku needs more clicks, here's some non-news". Then they attempt to do real news... but the credibilty is gone. It brings down gamers as a whole and makes game journalists look like horny otaku losers. Kotaku isn't a video game site, it was once...

If you want you can filter Kotaku to show only his stories... if you're into that stuff. Also, I was probably a little hard on Gundam.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cloudenvy

@AlexanderSheen said:

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

You have my full attention.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By N7
@Doctorchimp said:

That is the coolest thing in the world.
EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By EvilKatarn

@PandaBear said:

"Kotaku is the definitive digital hub for video game news, reviews, cheats, design, and entertainment. It tracks the genre's spreading popularity from hardcore obsession to casual gaming in pop culture and social media."

And it is not that. I never said Kotaku was good in any way. Just that Brian Ashcraft is the most consistent writer there. Granted, his "stories" do not belong on a site claiming to be about videogames but they are the most entertaining when compared to the other "serious journalism" crap they post on occasion. And when they do post "serious journalism" it's a gurl gamer's 15 page essay about how rude young boys are in online games. Frankly, compared to that I'd gladly take a dedicated Bashcraft site anyday.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Bocam

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

I would also love to know more about this Sexy Cosplay party. Also Jim Sterling is pretty great.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AngelN7
AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I don't mind Kotaku. There are interesting articles and news amongst the stupid shit they mainly post. I can't stand Brian Ashcroft though. His contributions to the site are fucking stupid and he's a complete dick when he responds to users in the comment section.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Trilogy

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

What was all of that over? I need a little context here. I'm so out of of the loop with all this Kotaku stuff since I never visit their site.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PandaBear

@Bocam said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

...sexy cosplay...

What? Tell me more.

I would also love to know more about this Sexy Cosplay party. Also Jim Sterling is pretty great.

I think the Jimquistion is actually not bad ... hate what he does on Destructoid ... but he's not all bad.

http://kotaku.com/people/ashcraft/posts That's Kotaku with on Ashcraft stories... But I don't see how you can bash other writers on that site (who usually also suck) and defend this. Different strokes I guess...

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By BonOrbitz

@RJay_64 said:

Kotaku turned me off when they tried to force that hideous interface redesign on us last year.

Same here. I just couldn't get used to the redesign because I couldn't get over the clunkiness. It felt I had to dig harder than I was used to for information.

I've stopped going there and get my news from Joystiq and IGN and come to have fun and participate in the community on GiantBomb.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Hailinel

Well, I can see from this thread that my boycott of Kotaku has no reason to end.

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By moffattron9000

You think Kotaku's bad but when you look at some of the crap pulled by other Gawker sites this quite frankly comes off as tame. For example at CES 2008 Gizmodo used a device to go around and turn off the tv's at the event.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I left them around the redesign, never felt the need to go back. Too much shit to wade through to get to any good articles. 

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Crixaliz

@Trilogy said:

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

What was all of that over? I need a little context here. I'm so out of of the loop with all this Kotaku stuff since I never visit their site.

I would also like to know what they wrote about Jaffe

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TentPole

Forget Destructoid.

Kotaku is the fucking worst.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic

PC WINS MOTHERFUCKERS 

I mean that website sucks.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GunslingerPanda

That's pretty reprehensible.

https://www.playfire.com/ps3-xbox-pc/TCD4SI

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CountMacula

@Crixaliz said:

@Trilogy said:

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I would also like to know what they wrote about Jaffe

From what I recall, he said something stupid in the heat of the moment on Gametrailers during the lead up to Twisted Metal's release along the lines of "If your girlfriend beats you at TM, you'll be getting a blowjob for sure" (really paraphrasing there), and a new reporter at Kotaku called him a misogynist, and then in a follow up story where he tries to apologise and say how he fucked up, she basically cut up a bunch of the quotes. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I remember that comment getting totally blown out of proportion.

There was some twitter war stuff between him and Leigh Alexander where she drunkenly tweeted that if she had worked on the game, she'd pretend she didn't out of embarrassment (not based on his blowjob comment, but on the game itself) which ended up getting pulled into the misogyny shitshow.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RE_Player1

Kotaku is a piece of shit so this doesn't surprise me.