#1 Edited by Alexandru (301 posts) -

I wrote a topic 2 days ago where I asked if I should upgrade my PC or buy a console. My PC had a geforce 8800GT, 2 GB of RAM and a celeron CPU (single core). You guys told me not to upgrade it with only 250 euros because it wont be enough and it will become obsolete soon. And that I would also need a new motherboard since this is old ( it's from 2006!!).

Well, I got a little more money and I bought and installed the new components today. The PC is still far from being top of the line, but I wanted your opinion on this new setup.

Unfortunately I had to keep the motherboard which means that when I'll upgrade again I'm gonna have to buy a new one and new RAM too. So now I have inside a GTX 560, 4GB of RAM (DDR2) and a Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz ( I wanted to buy a Q9900 but it required higher FSB).

I haven't tried any games yet, but I am curios how Deus EX Human Revolution, Orcs Must Die! 2 and GTA IV will work since they ran at 20 fps or lower on my old setup. Dead Space and Mass Effect games ran fine tho).

So what do you think of it? Will it run all the games this gen in at least 720p and decent graphics?

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15909 posts) -

That's a decent bump. The Q6600 is still a pretty decent CPU and 560 is alright as well.

#3 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

Should be fine. I've got the same CPU, 6GB of DDR2 and a 9800 GTX+ and I can usually run those games around 30-60fps on Med-High settings on a 1680x1050 monitor. GTA IV, however, is a mess no matter how good a setup you have. I kept the settings fairly low and was usually around 20-30fps the entire time, with it spiking up to 60 when entering a building.

#4 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1406 posts) -

@Alexandru: That's a good PC, is the GTX 560 a Ti or the normal one? Either way you should be fine at 1680x1050 with most details high in the majority of games.

#5 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

@LethalKi11ler said:

@Alexandru: That's a good PC, is the GTX 560 a Ti or the normal one? Either way you should be fine at 1680x1050 with most details high in the majority of games.

The Ti one. The benchmarks seem pretty impressive. Although they were all made on stronger CPUs so I expect lower framerates on mine.

I'm downloading Deus Ex now, but steam keeps shutting it off.

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

I have a 560 Ti and max out nearly every game (aside from the obvious powerhouses like Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, etc) at 1920x1080 and 60 fps with relative ease. I do have an i7 920 though, so I'm not sure if you'll be CPU bottlenecked on anything or not. 

Either way, it sounds like your new setup will probably blow what you were using out of the water.

#7 Posted by FritzDude (2262 posts) -

3 weeks ago I had almost the same PC as you have now. Same CPU, same GPU and 4gb of RAM. I was able to run every game out there fine enough, but games with DX11 enabled didn't do well, and the PC was slow, mostly due to the hard drive. So even if the GPU can handle DX11 I recommend you turn that off in games like Deus EX.

#8 Posted by Jrinswand (1703 posts) -

Congratulations, OP! I also just upgraded my PC this weekend! Now I have an i5-3570k, HD 7850, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, and Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm going to be relying on this build for about the next 4 years so I'm glad that I'm really happy with it.