• 96 results
#1 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

So, it's my senior year and my school's homecoming week is coming up. I've decided not to go, but all my friends think I'm crazy for not going. I was just wondering if I'm not the only one who isn't going or if anyone didn't go and didn't regret it.

I personally don't think dances are all that fun and I'd rather just chill at home or whatever then over pay for a dance where I'm just going to end up standing in a corner for the duration of the time listening to music that I'll probably hate.

#2 Posted by TyCobb (1947 posts) -

I participated in 0 high school activities. God high school sucked. Was so happy to get out of there and turn my part time job into a full time job.

#3 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I did not go to my homecoming dance.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

No, I did not go. Never liked, and still don't like social events. Always get a deep felling of regret after. But whenever I stay home and do nothing I have no feeling of regret.

#5 Posted by Raven10 (1736 posts) -

I never went to a single dance in high school. I haven't regretted it yet and I doubt I ever will. I know it's supposed to be a right of passage and all, but I don't like dancing, I don't like crowds, and I don't like loud music so I wasn't going to go to an event I was almost surely going to hate just because it was the thing to do. If you don't want to go then don't go. You'll have used your ability of free choice to do what you think is best for you and ignored the pressure to adhere to societal norms, which makes you a much cooler person than anyone going to this dance.

#6 Posted by tsiro (214 posts) -

Hmm, seems to be a bit of selection bias here, haha. I, too, never participated in any high school events. Frequently, all of my super cool friends and I would get together and have a LAN party during school dances. Way more fun, in my opinion. No regrets.

Just wait until you have easily accessible alcohol, then dancing gets fun.

#7 Edited by BoG (5185 posts) -

WHY AM I POSTING IN THIS TOPIC? Story time.

When I began my junior year of high school, I had never gone to a school dance. I really, really wanted to go to one, if only to get attention from a girl. I didn't expect to go to homecoming, but a strange opportunity presented itself. On the first day of class, I discovered that I shared a class with a friend. We shared this class with one of his friends, a girl. For the first week of class, the three of us walked together. After that week, my friend changed his class schedule. After that, I just walked with this girl. It was so cool for me, I think it was the first time in my life that I regularly spoke to the same non-relative female. We chatted every day on the way to class. As homecoming approached, she began to talk about homecoming. She was a senior, and wanted to go to the dance her senior year, but didn't have a date. This frustrated her, because she had been every year, and all of her friends had dates.

She brought this up every day. I thought it about asking her. Maybe she was sending signals? I didn't know how girls worked. So I did nothing, until about two weeks before the dance. She brought it up again, and so I decided to casually ask. "Would you like to go with me?" She looked at me, and started laughing. She said something, but I didn't understand. She finally settled down, and said something else, but by that point I wasn't listening. "Well, if you change your mind, the offer is still there." Suddenly, she looked shocked. "Oh, you were serious?" And then she began to give me a list of excuses for why she couldn't go to the dance. I don't remember them.

My senior year, I didn't go to homecoming either. I did go to prom, though. Woo yeah.

And now you know a little bit more about BoG.

Anyways, I always thought that school dances were fun. I say go.

#8 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I also have a story to tell! I have not gone to a dance yet. Mostly because the girl I want to go with was dating someone last year. But this year I have no idea if she has a date or not. I should probably find out soon.

Well that's not much of a story. Hmm...

#9 Posted by Arestice (468 posts) -

I went to dances in middle school and that was just because there was an N64 hooked up to a projector in there.

Didn't go to any dances in high school and when I got the memoir book for my prom the pictures in it were... horrifying.

@BoG said:

Suddenly, she looked shocked. "Oh, you were serious?"

lol

#10 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Dancing was never really my scene so no, it wasn't the social aspect I just really hate dancing.

#11 Posted by j0lter (225 posts) -

@BoG: That is harsh of her, geesh. Women -_-

#12 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

I went my freshman year. After that I decided I would rather hold onto my money than do anything at my school after hours.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

I didn't go to any of the things at my high school, which I pretend is because I was better than that shit mannn, but really it was because I was very unpopular and I couldn't get a date. People rent out the museum I work at for weddings and proms and stuff though, and at some senior prom one of the ladies asked me to dance, which was really one of the loveliest things ever.

#14 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6388 posts) -

I am currently a senior in High School, and thus far, I have never been to any sort of dance, mainly because I just can't dance at all (I am being very serious at this point- I am a lengthy kid and have terrible rhythm/coordination), and partially because I've never really had a clear date to take. Mostly the dancing bit, as I could always find a date if I really wanted to. However, this year being my last, I may actually go for a multitude of reasons.

Reason A: This is my last year of High School and I might as well live a little.

Reason B: There's a clear date that I have in mind and it looks extremely doubtful that she wouldn't want to go with me.

Reason C: What's the worst that could happen? Actually, the worst that could happen is that I embarrass the shit out of myself, but eh, fuck it.

#15 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@j0lter said:

she was young, foolish, and insensitive. not an excuse but it's not a gender related flaw either nawmean. ive been just as insensitive to girls at that age; teenagers in general are a little socially stunted and also shit happens.

oh yeah on topic, no i didn't go to the homecoming dance

#16 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

Homecoming? No, I was in full hater status of dances. Then upon the advice of EVERYONE I knew, I went to prom. It was pretty damn fun.

#17 Edited by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@BoG: I kind of had a similar story to that. Except, cut out the part where she tried to make excuses and add in her flat out telling me, "No, you fucking loser" and walking away, smirking.

I haven't been able to ask a girl out since

But yay, you went to prom!

#18 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@SexyToad: If it makes you feel better, I thought it was pretty interesting

#19 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2232 posts) -

Yes, I went, and to this day I'm still fucking pissed off they made us pay to get pictures taken and they didn't let us preview the picture first. My then girlfriend now wife's bra was showing in the back and so we couldn't hand out all the copies I ordered. Fuck that stupid fucking high school.

Anyways, that was 4 years ago

#20 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -
@BoG said:

When I began my junior year of high school, I had never gone to a school dance. I really, really wanted to go to one, if only to get attention from a girl. I didn't expect to go to homecoming, but a strange opportunity presented itself. On the first day of class, I discovered that I shared a class with a friend. We shared this class with one of his friends, a girl. For the first week of class, the three of us walked together. After that week, my friend changed his class schedule. After that, I just walked with this girl. It was so cool for me, I think it was the first time in my life that I regularly spoke to the same non-relative female. We chatted every day on the way to class. As homecoming approached, she began to talk about homecoming. She was a senior, and wanted to go to the dance her senior year, but didn't have a date. This frustrated her, because she had been every year, and all of her friends had dates.

She brought this up every day. I thought it about asking her. Maybe she was sending signals? I didn't know how girls worked. So I did nothing, until about two weeks before the dance. She brought it up again, and so I decided to casually ask. "Would you like to go with me?" She looked at me, and started laughing. She said something, but I didn't understand. She finally settled down, and said something else, but by that point I wasn't listening. "Well, if you change your mind, the offer is still there." Suddenly, she looked shocked. "Oh, you were serious?" And then she began to give me a list of excuses for why she couldn't go to the dance. I don't remember them.

My senior year, I didn't go to homecoming either. I did go to prom, though. Woo yeah.

D'aww. :( That's some heartbreaking shit.
#21 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

Oh thank you. You make a Toad happy.

But I guess there is a bit more to the "story". Today I actually got her number! She sometimes rides my bus and today she sat by me because she notice I was working on some school work which she also needs to do. The great thing is I didn't even ask her. She just kind of gave it to me. Which is wonderful.

#22 Posted by wumbo3000 (942 posts) -

If you can find a girl, I definitely recommend going. All dances I've been to have been positive experiences, and usually there's an insane story about something stupid some fucked up kid did. If anything, it's just a time to hang out and have fun with your friends.

#23 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

But I guess there is a bit more to the "story". Today I actually got her number! She sometimes rides my bus and today she sat by me because she notice I was working on some school work which she also needs to do. The great thing is I didn't even ask her. She just kind of gave it to me. Which is wonderful.

ey bruh, now you can woo her by unleashing your charm, intelligence, and wit upon her unsuspecting pleasure-centers

#24 Posted by Stonyman65 (2608 posts) -

No. I went to high school with assholes, so I couldn't be bothered to go. On top of that, the girl that I was into left that school before homecoming.

By all accounts, those dances where pretty lame anyways from what I heard from people who did go, so it looked like I dodged a bullet on that one.

I've been out of high school for like 3 years now.

#25 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

@SexyToad said:

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

ey bruh, now you can woo her by unleashing your charm, intelligence, wit, and sexiness upon her unsuspecting pleasure-centers

Fixed that for you.

#26 Posted by Bawlsz (84 posts) -

errr... Well I'm from England and there isn't really much things like that here... also I went to an all boys school so that would've been a bit awkward, We did however have some type of graduation celebration on a boat, but I never went, wasn't really bothered and personally I don't really like those type of things.

#27 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@SexyToad: Nice! Get yo sexy on, Toad!

#28 Posted by TheStimpinator (105 posts) -

Just go man, get a group of your buds and have fun. Find a cool chick and just go as friends or something. I can basically guarantee something fun will happen with most of your class/school getting together in one place. I'm a junior in college and I still remember having a killer time at high school dances. You literally have nothing to lose except a few bucks and a night by yourself. Seriously. You should go.

#29 Posted by Slay3r1583 (601 posts) -

Back when I was in middle and high school I never went to any dances/sports/plays/concerts/etc. Screw all that stuff. I didn't even want to be at school during the day why the hell would I go when I wasn't required to be there.

#30 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@BoG said:

:(

#31 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Dude go. I played at my senior high school dance and it looked like people were having a great time. Get drunk and enjoy yourself.

#32 Posted by Hamst3r (4458 posts) -

^Yeah right. Fuck that.

Stay home.

#33 Posted by ToTheNines (661 posts) -

Yeah, just sucks that I can't find a sweet date who wants to go. It's a bummer being 25.

#34 Posted by BoG (5185 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

@j0lter said:

she was young, foolish, and insensitive. not an excuse but it's not a gender related flaw either nawmean. ive been just as insensitive to girls at that age; teenagers in general are a little socially stunted and also shit happens.

oh yeah on topic, no i didn't go to the homecoming dance

Yeah, I honestly don't hold it against her. At that age, I would have reacted the same to a girl asking me out who I didn't find attractive.

@ThatIndianGuy7116: Yeah, I think that (and one other) experience killed my confidence. =(

#35 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

I personally don't think dances are all that fun and I'd rather just chill at home or whatever then over pay for a dance where I'm just going to end up standing in a corner for the duration of the time listening to music that I'll probably hate.

OP summed it up for me right here. You see, I think I would actually enjoy dances if I could actually get a date, but unfortunately, old Habster gets turned down every time he asks a girl to a dance. Yay for girls not wanting someone who's not an athletic douchebag...

#36 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6388 posts) -

@habster3 said:

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

OP summed it up for me right here. You see, I think I would actually enjoy dances if I could actually get a date, but unfortunately, old Habster gets turned down every time he asks a girl to a dance. Yay for girls not wanting someone who's not an athletic douchebag...

Duder, I go to an all-guys school and I can find a ton if girls that are into not athletically-inclined guys. Assuming you don't also go to an all-guys school (well, even in that case), I'm sure there are plenty of girls that aren't into the mega-athletes.

#37 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I only went because of my girlfriend. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't have gone to any.

#38 Posted by Silver-Streak (1339 posts) -

My biological family was pretty messed up, so what I consider my surrogate family (The people that basically let me stay at their house for months at a time, fed, and cared for me), really pushed me to succeed.

So with their help, I studied and completed an early graduation program+early SATs right when I would have started high school, which I completed right before turning 16. The following fall, I got accepted to a few colleges, then moved up to Kansas to go to College at WSU for their Computer Science program. (And get emancipated minor status plus legally disown my biological family)

With all of that, never had a chance nor desire to even bother with homecoming.

#39 Posted by Redbullet685 (6029 posts) -

Not going because of no date.

#40 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3748 posts) -

Some morose motherfuckers in this thread here. Unless you go to high school with the bullies from Karate Kid, social functions are what you make of them. If you go in there ready to have a good time you will. If you go in there planning to sit in a corner in gloomy misery, you will. That kind of goes for most social situations.

#41 Edited by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@BoG said:

I was hoping for a happy ending (you broke my heart).....all i can say is: Women. Only a few of us can understand them.

Edit: also, to answer the question, no, I do not go to dances, period. I can't dance, and I can't pretend to dance. Also, I'm too lazy to look/ask for a date.

#42 Posted by FriedConsole (53 posts) -

Speaking as an old guy for this site - You won't regret not going but it could be fun and is worth going. Life is long and you won't be reflecting everyday if you don't go. If you go and something awesome happens you will always remember it. Ask some chick/dude to dance, if you get rejected you won't have to see that person probably ever again. I remember asking some chick to dance I always liked and she says yes and then I got a giant boner during the slow dance. Do that but don't get the boner.

Only regrets from high school is worrying about what everyone thought of me all the time and doing stupid stuff because of it.

#43 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

If your friends are going and you think you're going to have fun, then go. I went to all of the dances in high school and had fun. Dressing up, going to dinner, doing some dancing, hanging out at Steak and Shake afterwards, it was always a lot of fun.

#44 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

@TheStimpinator said:

Just go man, get a group of your buds and have fun. Find a cool chick and just go as friends or something. I can basically guarantee something fun will happen with most of your class/school getting together in one place. I'm a junior in college and I still remember having a killer time at high school dances. You literally have nothing to lose except a few bucks and a night by yourself. Seriously. You should go.

Literally some of the best times we had in high school. Remember when you went with Tina and we joked about how TJ was going to murder you? And when you went with Lauren Dull to the Sadie Hawkins and waited outside of Joe's house in the snow for like an hour before we showed up to let you in? That was awesome.

#45 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Yes and it makes me sad to see that so many people didn't. I will be your pretend homecoming/prom date. All of you.... <3

#46 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@habster3 said:

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

Duder, I go to an all-guys school and I can find a ton if girls that are into not athletically-inclined guys. Assuming you don't also go to an all-guys school (well, even in that case), I'm sure there are plenty of girls that aren't into the mega-athletes.

The majority of the girls around me are totally into that douchey jock personality, and the rest are either girls in whom I'm not really interested or girls that have turned me down big time (I lost one of my best friends because I asked her to the dance and she got the wrong idea). I don't think I'm THAT ugly. Or too weird... Shit, I don't even know what to do with myself anymore :/

#47 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

My friend randomly got selected as homecoming royalty, which was a total surprise to him. Since he was forced to go to the homecoming dance, I tagged along we hung out and goofed off with people we know. Getting 10 people and just dancing to terrible pop music in a circle isn't bad. I also went to prom, with my recently exed girlfriend. So of those two scenarios, choose the first one, never the second.

#48 Posted by teh_destroyer (3561 posts) -

nope, I went to work instead >_>

#49 Posted by TheStimpinator (105 posts) -

@thevigilanteoflove said:

@TheStimpinator said:

Literally some of the best times we had in high school. Remember when you went with Tina and we joked about how TJ was going to murder you? And when you went with Lauren Dull to the Sadie Hawkins and waited outside of Joe's house in the snow for like an hour before we showed up to let you in? That was awesome.

Abso-fucking-lutely, even going to dances with a less than stellar dates still turned out to be awesome for other reasons. And sometimes you get lucky and go with a really awesome girl. To reiterate my point from earlier: Go to this dance.

#50 Posted by NTM (7286 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116: Than just stay home, you won't regret it. You have to do your own thing and not let other people bother you about your decision. In the end, it's just high school, and while things can be fun there, none of that really matters in the long run. Just stay home.