Did You Have A Good Or Rough Life Growing Up?

• 118 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

Overall what was life like for you. For me its kinda in the middle. I grew up in a decent neighborhood but I always seem to get into trouble. If there was one problem there always will be another. I always came across very mean people. That would do alot of cruel things to me. The school system for me was just bad. In high school I never got any homework and teachers wouldn't do there job. Then again students will do alot of reckless things at school. All the schools I went to was never safe. As for my parents they hated each other. My dad has a very short temper and he will snap at times. If I pissed him off I would get a brutal beating. One time I had to go to the hospital because he broke my nose.

My mom was nice but was a very stressed out women. Raising me and my brothers by herself was stressful on her. My dad lived in another house and we didn't spend much time with him. One of the worst things ever happen to me and my family in life. Is when 1 of my brothers passed away. Ever sense he died nobody in my family hasn't been the same. We didn't do nothing on the holidays no more. We didn't celebrate Christmas or nothing no more. Growing up without him was tough.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

Changed schools and homes multiple times, had to live in a refuge for a year. All in all pretty great. The only thing I regret is my parents being so busy destroying each other that they never introduced me to tennis. I love watching tennis on TV but I've never played it, and I only like being the best at things so it's too late to start now. My advice to all the parents out there: introduce your child to tennis.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Growing up, I often got beat with launch trays and thrown through every window imaginable. ...what?

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bell_End

i invented the teapot as a child so i was set for life

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By metal_mills

Violent alcoholic parent, boarderline psychopathic sister, bullied constantly, my one and only friend at primary school left, teachers and principal who hated me for hoping they'd actually help me not be bullied so much, hit my teenage years, fell into deep depression, dropped out of school because of it and the contiuning violence at home, lost contact with the few friends I had. 10 years later after dropping out I'm finally pulling my self out of the shit pile.

So...I choose rough.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Mostly good.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcsman

Raised by a crazy women. It was rough........

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By falserelic

@Metal_Mills said:

Violent alcoholic parent, boarderline psychopathic sister, bullied constantly, my one and only friend at school left, teachers and principal who hated me for hoping they'd actually help me not be bullied so much, hit my teenage years, fell into deep depression, dropped out of school because of it, lost contact with the few friends I had. 10 years later after dropping out I'm finally pulling my self out of the shit pile. So...I choose rough.

I'm actually trying to get my GED. I fell into a deep depression too I understand.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Barring my addiction to forcefully caressing thighs, I did alright. The majority of my problems were of my own making.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Poor for ten years, lower middle class for ten years, and I suppose poor now. Minimum wage job, I'm renting a kind of crappy apartment, and I don't have a car. Then again, I've never been in debt. I get to buy a lot of games compared to some people. So who knows.

As for 'home life', I dunno. I got the shit kicked out of me a lot more when my mother was broke than when she was out of debt. That period probably could've turned completely fucked if she had decided to drink. That by itself probably could've kept her permanently poor and miserable.

Fucking don't drink, kids. Every adult I know who is considered a 'drinker' is a complete fucking piece of shit. Weekly binge drinkers become daily drinkers by 30.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

Moved around a lot, didn't bother me though since it was easy to meet new friends. 
Now that I think about it it's still the easiest thing to do today. Became diabetic at age 13, lived with it since, no biggie there either although it was kinda strange getting used to the needles. 
Parents, both great, school was boring but managed to go through all of them and get educated and get a good job that I enjoy(unless I'm forced to play shitty 3DS games again, you hear me Boss Man? I will kick you!) 
Sure there's also been trouble along the way but nothing big or life changing, good life, good girl, good friends great family. 

it was fun growing up, and since I haven't stopped becoming older yet I will keep making it fun. 
If it's not fun there's nobody to blame but myself 

I was planning on building a Launch Room

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

It was fine. My parents couldn't handle money for shit so often they'd find themselves complaining about not having enough of it. This actually hit a head when they bought a plasma TV after getting paid, two weeks after we had sandwiches for three days in a row because they'd already spent most of the money from last time. They asked me to help them load it into the car and drive it home, and I downright refused with some barely-contained anger. The TV was soon returned in exchange for a much cheaper LCD. They've since gotten a whole lot better at it, though they still suck at managing money.

Other than that, though, it was fine. I've turned out OK. I wish someone would have paid more attention to my interests instead of most of my family telling me to get a life (which, ironically, only made me feel less motivated to hang out with the fucks that make up most of the school population). And I wish that they hadn't obsessed over my fucking education most of the time. However, despite that sort of thing I was always fed and have always had a roof over my head and have never once been hit or abused. I got yelled at some but I was always good at yelling back, so that didn't happen too often either.

So, yeah. It was middling. Not particularly amazing but nothing downright bad either.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

Apart from minor annoyances my life has been pretty good.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Franstone

My life is collection of unfortunate events...

hah

Even till this day trying to dig myself outa a hole in this job mart in this horrible economy since I lost my career due to a grudge.

A lot of shitty situations brought on by shitty people and random events.

Gotta keep chuggin along I guess though.

It'll get better!

Right?

; )

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By falserelic

@Franstone: What happen? If you don't mind me asking.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Growing up was great, school was terrible and adult life is a mixture of both.

If you keep these topics up soon you will have a psych profile for every member on the site.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Klei

I had a good childhood. My parents did their absolute best for me, although I ended up being picked on at school and bullied all the time. Unfortunately, school backyards are one of the places where your parents can't help you out as a kid. Hardened me a lot but it eventually made me drop out from school. Didn't stop me from become a published author and writer though.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By falserelic

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Growing up was great, school was terrible and adult life is a mixture of both. If you keep these topics up soon you will have a psych profile for every member on the site.

LOL! I already have a ton of people viewing my profile. It doesn't bother me in anyway.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heltom92

Well this thread is fucking depressing.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By Draugen

My childhood was a cake-walk in the tea-park. Three siblings that I got along with, my parents stayed together until I was 16. I was never sick. We weren't rich, but we never had any serious monetary problems either. Had lots of friends. Endured a few years of occasional bullying, but nothing major.

Adult life turned out to be slightly harder, but you know what? Life's pretty damn good, if you think about it.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aetheldod

Family life was great , amazing parents and extended family (except for a granfather who was an alchoholic). Had average grades but more due to me not being interested in school , I was constantly bullied by my class mates , but I always stood up and never let them get away with it with out me fighting back , and after I went to a new school I earned the respect of my new class mates because they saw I wasnt going to let them do as they pleased. Unfortunately never had many friends , always have been a huge loner , also had a lot of cirurgies , the last one was at 7 years old , it was a cloughed up aorta so they had to cut a huge piece of it. We did have heavy economic problems due to a economic depression in the 90´s in Mexico , but my grandma help us out a lot , also my mom´s sister let us saty at her home for a loooong time too (´round 2 years ). My dad lost his business at that time , but he did payed out his employees and never fucked up anyone , unlike most business men out there. So in short I did have a mostly good life growing up.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gargantuan

I have awesome parents and four siblings that are great.  Never had any money trouble and school was fine. I also recently got a job and moved out so I've had a pretty good life so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very fortunate to have a great family that has always been supportive and loving. Never really had any family drama at all. I think we're all too pragmatic and laid back for anything else. Three brothers and two sisters and none of us has turned out crazy/messed up yet. :-)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Hunter5024

Every single person in my immediate family, other than me, has a major mental illness including one person with severe depression, 2 bi polar people, 2 people with adhd (one incredibly severe), one person with borderline personality disorder, and more. That is between only 4 people mind you (I shouldn't be allowed to breed). Also both my parent's decided to stop having jobs and support our family of 5 entirely on financial aid for school when I was 12. Everything was awesomeall the time.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tsiro

I was raised by a great family. I never got into much trouble as a kid, and did well in school. I got accepted into a great college, and now I have a super cool job. I'd say it went (and is going) pretty well for me.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By haffy

I've had a pretty fucking easy life lol. The only thing that makes it hard is me being lazy.

My parents weren't always really rich, but by the time I was around 14 they got out of most of their debt, and I basically had everything I wanted growing up and after that. Brothers were both alright, school was easy. Barely went, only really turned up for lessons I liked and when we had sports on. Went to pretty much every sports trip we had, like rugby, athletics and football until I stopped playing football. I think I had about a 65% attendance rate. Used to get a lot of shit for missing school, but both my parents had to work so wasn't much they could do.

Only bad thing from growing up is I've got a pretty shity left arm with early arthritis. Broke it a couple of times and had surgery a couple of times on it. Had to stop playing rugby and playing in goal because of it, which is the only thing I really hate about it. Other than that though, easy childhood.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Franstone

@falserelic: At my job? Very long story...

Shortest version.

Worked at a company for 4 years on an IT team which consisted of 4 people including myself. (at first)

My boss was this super IT freak with no friends and hated his family so he befriended his team members (if he actually liked you to begin with).

He was the type of guy that would rather be sitting at his desk in the office alone on Christmas weekend catching up on work he's ignored.

Shit, starting to go down the rabbit hole, I could go on on on about personality traits of this sad sad man but I'm gonna try to avoid it further... hahah

Because I was well liked by my Boss and his right hand man (a now good friend of mine he had been working with for 8 years) I easily slipped into their culture which explaining would be an additional few pages.

Basically we were a come and go as we please IT team that always had someone covering so our asses wouldn't get in trouble.

We were purchases by a Fortune 500 company about a year after I started.

My buddy left the team since he could no longer stand working for my boss, after 8 years he was still going nowhere and fed up with his BS.

Well before he left, (the first month I worked there) my boss had a huge blowout with the network guy (another situation created by this lunatic being besties with his subordinates.

They cleared out a whole side of the office of people because they knew it was going to be more heated than your average firing.

I should have seen the writing on the wall...

After this company bought us I had a conversation with my boss (at the bar of course) about how things were going to have to change...

We had lost 2 members of our team, so now it's just me and him.

I was fired up and ready to go, we were still on good terms at this point besides various fucked up happenings in the past.

That following Monday morning after this productive conversation with my boss I get pulled into the CTOs office by my boss and they put me on a "suspension."

I was sideswiped and surprised because that was no hint of this happening, I did my work, my end-users loved me, rarely any complaints.

Basically my boss had been feeding my (very uninvolved) CTO other stories and blaming me for the "downfall of the IT Team" which was hilarious, if anything my boss would have been the downfall.

What I didn't know is they had no right to put me on a suspension, it was actually illegal and under the radar, HR had no idea about it, esp in a big company HR should be involved.

So I agreed to the terms of this "suspension" and did everything I was supposed to do.

This suspension went on for 3 YEARS.

Again heard from someone, this is very illegal, but I had no idea, I was young and clueless to these things.

hah

Everyone in the office knew about my boss, his history, and the screwed up situation I was in with him, it was common knowledge.

I eventually (due to some strong hints from my CEO) took up the issues with my CEO in a quiet effort to end all the madness.

My CEO decided to go straight to my boss and confront him about the issues.

It immediately got worse.

I can't even begin to explain all the little screwed up things that had happened during all this time.

My boss wouldn't talk to me for weeks on end.

Would ignore emails that affected the work day and performance on projects.

He added projects the day of my review so he could see to it that I would fail my review and not get a raise.

He told our CEO that I lied about overtime (when I actually put in for less time than actually worked).

I took on new responsibilities which required training which he derailed.

Ignored requests for hardware to complete projects.

He even ditched me in the city when I had no wallet, no ID, only a dollar and a subway token (I had lost my wallet the previous weekend), after I introduced him to some girls. (I don't even wanna explore that aspect, hah) (and this is when we were getting along.)

The list goes on and on...

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

I met with some higher up IT folks from the company that purchased us(another story in itself on how I got there).

Basically after 2+ years of my boss parading fake interviews he hired a guy he worked with over 10 years previously.

Of course this guy he finally hired and I hit it off.

I find out that this new guy he hired is the original guy I heard about in stories about my boss who had reported him to HR for the same behavior like 15 years ago.

My boss back then lost his job, logged into the system at his work that night and changed the admin passwords, nice guy, would have gotten him in court modern day.

Anyway!

This very guy worked with us for a little over a month and decided my boss had never changed and didn't want to work with him.

He also told me he had seen him do this to people before, he didn't like it then, and doesn't like seeing it happen to me.

He threw up a red flag for the higher ups which got them involved in our whole situation.

I got pulled into a conference room to meet with a higher up IT guy (from the F500 company that bought us) that I had known for a while.

They immediately started asking about how it was working for my boss.

Well I let the floodgates open, told him everything, even included a folder full of incriminating emails and conversations I had been building to protect myself.

Things were looking good, this higher up guy was on my side.

He told me on multiple occasions that if my boss continued to act in this sort of unprofessional manner that he would fly up to our office and drag him out personally no matter what effect it has on the company.

Things were looking good.

Last straw on the camels back.

I find out one day my boss had been lying to me about another training I was supposed to get for a responsibility I been taking care of for 3 years meant for the network guy.

I almost had a nervous breakdown, I left the office shaking at 4:30 that afternoon.

I drove to work the next morning, visibly upset, frustrated and angry, I turned my car around and went home, was probably the best thing I coulda done.

I did end up sending my boss a message to explain why I didn't come to work that day, who knows, maybe he lied about ever getting it.

The next week was fine, as if nothing happened.

Friday I get pulled into the CTOs office and fired.

I'm upset and blindsided, most thought I was safe at this point, most thought I coulda sued the company if I wanted to go that route.

In a mad upset frantic rush I search my cubicle in the spot I hid my folder of protective evidence.

It was gone, they went through my things and found it and made it vanish.

I had co-workers calling me, telling me they'd go look for it more, also reporting back they were still hovering around my desk.

Followed by what I was told was one of the most strange and brief "so and so is leaving the company letter" that was sent out to everyone.

Probably since this whole mess was common knowledge and I was being put up to the firing squad, besides the fact I was basically friends with everyone.

Sorry for the book, it kinda gives the idea.

But in no way explains it enough.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

Kind of bad to decent. I don't want to elaborate.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Animasta

it was pretty decent, the problems were usually due to us moving all the time but meh, at least my parents liked me which is more than I can say for some

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By eternalshades

I have no complaints about my life.

Raised in a loving family, have one sister that I always got along with.

Had slight depression around 5th grade where I considered suicide (it was for really stupid reasons, glad I grew out of it quickly).

Entire family moved from Quebec to California in 7th grade, which was a bit of a harsh change as I only knew english as a second language. Ended up working out in the end, as I always sucked at writing in french for some reason.

Worked hard through high school and got top grades, went to the college of my choice (UCSD) to study in the field that I am a natural in (computer science), had great roommates that I ended up living with for all 4 years.

Landed a paid internship just as I graduated, then got rolled over to full time. Have been cruising along for the past 5 years. Money has never been an issue (not that I am swimming in cash, but I'm comfortable), and I'm looking towards buying a home within the next year.

Nowadays my only problem is that I'm a little tired of this bachelor life and wish to find the right girl to spend my life with.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
@msavo said:

Apart from minor annoyances my life has been pretty good.

This is pretty much me.   

Also, I never got bullied on, really. Got made fun of in middle school for being fat, got in shape during high school and grew to be 6'2, 230 pounds, so from then on I was in great shape, and high school was a breeze.  

I feel bad for everyone else who got picked on, I never picked on anyone, didn't see the point. I like all people, generally. 

My parents divorced when I was young, but I saw both of them and my mother made me a pretty self-confident, and ambitious person, so I thank her for that. 
betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By betterboulder

A fine life. Christian home as the only child. Great parents. Great family. Grew up in TX all of my life. I have Sickle Cell so I've dealt with that off and on throughout my life. I was bullied a little but surprisingly I had my share of friends and any real bullying stopped once I entered high school. Almost missed out on college but went and made the grade. Now I'm in grad school. We could always use more money sure but its been 24 years with my parents and we haven't been hurting too hard financially until recent years. I guess I turned out to be average with my share of faults.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By falserelic

@Franstone: Damn, That sounds like a rough time. Sorry to hear that happen to you. I know life can be a struggle at times. There some obstacles we can't avoid that we all have to go through. I know that feeling very well. In the end we all are going to have trail and error. If we all want something good in life its always going to be a challenge. I hope things gets better for you man.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#36  Edited By Svenzon

A little bit of both. Life at home was good. My parents gave me a good upbringing and had a good income since Dad owned a successful clothing store. In school, things were worse. I suffered from a rare disease which almost ruined my hip as a kid. I couldn't participate in sports, which was more or less social suicide where I grew up. I was bullied from second grade all the way up til ninth grade. Luckily, my parents were always there for me and my teachers helped me as well as they could. Still, being followed and threatened with murder left its mark on me, especially in later years. I should just swallow my pride and see a shrink.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you think you had a rough childhood?

Well fuck you, its got nothing on mine. My mom practically kicked my ass out of the house before I even hit 13, and I never even met my dad. My only friend till I was 10 was the asshole prick next door who was always beating the shit out of me and telling me I wasn't worth shit. Its not even like I had a choice, the town fucking had something like 9 people living in it, I shit you not. My entire adolescence was just moving around from place to place trying to get along with people who didn't even want me.

You think that's the worst? My only friend was an Asian guy in his 20's or something, who only kept me around because he thought I could help him get laid. The only perk was that I also got to hang around with this cute ginger chick, she was flat as a pancake sure, but damn she was a total nymph, She must have been a sadist or something cause she always took pleasure in hitting me and telling me how she loved to get wet.

But dear god the bane of my existence was this adult couple that I could NOT seem to avoid. You know these types of couples that are absolutely sickening, like they wear matching outfits and finish each other's sentences? Yeah they were fucking creepers, and they had a cat, which was at least twice as annoying as they were, I swear this thing would never shut the fuck up.

Like I said I ended up moving from town to town getting into fights with other kids my age, even adults from time to time. The only thing that kept me going was my dream to become a pokemon master.

Sarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sarx

Well lets see. The first 10 years I grew up pretty much neglected since nobody in the family did talk to each other when not absolutely necessary, was beaten and abused psychologically by my father and older siblings who punched me to cope with their own issues (I punched the family dog). All of this in a rich household so no neighbor gave a shit - there is not dirt in the houses of pillars of society. Afterwards there was a terrible divorce battle where each parent told me that the other one was the antichrist and that any positive feeling for them was betrayal and used me to spy on the other one to gain advantages in the divorce trials. For the next years my extremely dependent mother marked me the "man in the house" since my controlling and dominant father was not available anymore and I had pretty much to manage all her shit. That was from age 11 onwards.

So I currently suffer from complex trauma, schizoid personality disorder and borderline personality disorder. Was still able to achieve a Master's degree since all the shit went down only when I was 20 onwards. From psychosomatic issues to complete breakdown in 2 years. And from that point onwards, therapy. And starting to remember all the shit I pretty much repressed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life isn't much better now.

I'm almost 20 and haven't been able to score a better job than a fucking cook at a local fast food joint. What makes it worse is that I live in a small town so business is pretty limited, and where I work is the only place that'll hire high school graduates. I'd get the hell out of this town if I could actually drive too, but I've failed every damn test I've ever taken.

I'm socially awkward, even my only other co-worker fucking hates my guts. I have repressed lust for one of my best friends too; she's athletic, smart and a gorgeous southern bell. I love her. You know what it's like; I've been friend zoned real hard. She's my only real friend, besides this one kid, who I'm pretty sure is only hanging around me because he is mentally challenged. I guess he's the only one that can tolerate me. And what makes this all fucking worse is that I live in a fucking pineapple under the sea!

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By galiant

@falserelic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

If you keep these topics up soon you will have a psych profile for every member on the site.

LOL! I already have a ton of people viewing my profile. It doesn't bother me in anyway.

I think you misunderstood. The point is that you'll know a lot about the people posting in your topics because you ask such personal questions.

As for me, I've had a good life so far. Being able to eat every day, having access to clean water and a place to sleep already makes me better off than a lot of people in the world.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falserelic

Growing up I only had two friends that I could trust. I met alot of people who I thought was my friends end up fucking me over. One time I had a so called friend almost got me killed. So nowadays I have issues trusting people.

SlapHappyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SlapHappyJesus

I had a pretty decent childhood, considering.

It wasn't until I was seventeen until things started going to shit. :/

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jrinswand

I don't really want to write out my whole life story as it would take too long and I doubt any of you really care, but I have always been thankful for my childhood. My dad was emotionally distant but that's about it. Overall, I am really lucky that I had the childhood that I did.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By falserelic

@Galiant said:

@falserelic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I think you misunderstood. The point is that you'll know a lot about the people posting in your topics because you ask such personal questions.

As for me, I've had a good life so far. Being able to eat every day, having access to clean water and a place to sleep already makes me better off than a lot of people in the world.

Well I try to make topics that no one hasn't really seen. Now and then I try to make stuff that's not game related. Because the majority of people on this site. Probably already know what to expect from a game related topic. I try to be different and not be typical. I have made a few topics that took a dark turn. Which I regret doing and didn't mean to offend people. All I was trying to do was start a discussion to give people something to talk about. But now I learned from my ways and will keep things more civil.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By TobbRobb

Jesus christ, these topics always make me depressed. I know not everyone's childhood is all lollipops and flowers, but DAMN. Some of you have had a really shitty time.

Mine isn't really much to talk about. I think I actually might have had a bit TOO good of an childhood. I'm kind of spoiled... Ever see a guy who obviously have no idea what hard work actually means? Yeah that's me.

Oh, and I have a hard time getting attached to people, I really only have one friend who have stuck by me for significant amount of time. The rest from highschool and previous years are, er, easily forgotten. But that really hasn't been negative to ME in an obvious way, yet. Crap, now I feel bad for being kind of an asshole too.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Sackmanjones

Feel good thread of the summer folks

Groundings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Groundings

@Tim_the_Corsair: Same... Minus the caressing thighs

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By falserelic

@TobbRobb said:

Jesus christ, these topics always make me depressed. I know not everyone's childhood is all lollipops and flowers, but DAMN. Some of you have had a really shitty time.

Mine isn't really much to talk about. I think I actually might have had a bit TOO good of an childhood. I'm kind of spoiled... Ever see a guy who obviously have no idea what hard work actually means? Yeah that's me.

Oh, and I have a hard time getting attached to people, I really only have one friend who have stuck by me for significant amount of time. The rest from highschool and previous years are, er, easily forgotten. But that really hasn't been negative to ME in an obvious way, yet. Crap, now I feel bad for being kind of an asshole too.

Its good that everything in your life turnout fine. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I wouldn't want anyone to experience what I'm going through. I hope people can have a family that cares about them, and enjoy there childhood for what its worth. Its nice to see that you didn't have to go though hard times.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

When my father got diagnosed with stage four cancer in '96 (I was born in '92) things quickly went downhill. He didn't know how to cope with the diagnosis, not that many of us would, and looked to drugs as an escape as he had done his whole life. He had so many breakdowns that led to my mother and sister and I leaving the house, calling the cops, fighting, etc. that did a huge number on my confidence and outlook on life. In 2009 he killed a man while driving his postal truck and was found guilty of manslaughter, and was sentenced to eight months in prison. My Dad went into a super depressive state and began binging even more on alcohol and opiates. In my freshman year of college I became depressed and started cutting myself to numb the pain (I know it's really weird but I was NOT in a good state of mind). I went to therapy until my health insurance ran out and my Dad went to jail. I had to drop out of college and work full time to help keep food on the table for my Mom and sister. Now my Dad is out of jail and gets disability and pension checks every month, so he has no real reason to get a job (even though the extra income could certainly help). I'm beginning to believe he's been dabbling in pills yet again despite probationary drug tests. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but the signs all point to relapse.

Still, with all this bullshit, I've never had to go to bed hungry and I've never been unclothed. Almost got our house foreclosed on multiple times but we always seemed to edge by in the end. I'm thankful for that, and in a fucked up way, I'm thankful for all the shit that's been thrown at me, because it makes me appreciate everything I've earned over these years. Everything I've paid for myself, everything I had to work for on my own. Had it not been for my best friends I might not have made it out, but they've been with me the whole way and will continue to be as I keep trudging forward. Reading what I just wrote my life seems pretty shitty, but you'd be surprised how a few good friends can drastically improve it.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Scrawnto

Pretty good, in the grand scheme of things. My parents separated when I was 1 or 2 years old, so I was too young to be hurt by that process. I was almost never picked on. That point is a little surprising to me, given that I was well over the 95th percentile in terms of how small I was for my age (55lbs an 11 years old, 85lbs at 14 years old) and that I was always the smart kid who never had to work hard to do well in class.

The only place I didn't have it great was being fairly poor, since my mom was paying for college while working at Taco Bell as the sole earner for the household. Things got a little better financially, maybe lower-middle-class, when she graduated and started working as a nurse, but I still ended up sleeping on a cot in the living room for a couple years--my two sisters needed their privacy more than I did. No cell phone until I was in college, and a car was out of the question. Couldn't afford it. That really limited my options for a social life, as well as my chances for any sort of employment, in Oklahoma City, where you can't reasonably walk anywhere. Also, because my house was kind of crappy, my parents wouldn't let me invite over my friends.

All said though, I've always known I had it way easier than a lot of folks. My family is almost universally fantastic, and even if I didn't have a social life, at least I didn't get bullied or beat up. I also never went through an angsty teen phase, and never saw any reason to argue with my parents.