• 147 results
#1 Edited by themangalist (1731 posts) -

So basically there is this campaign going on which urged facebook users to change their profile pictures to their favourite childhood show, to campaign against child abuse. Well, technically this raises awareness, but hey, it does sound pretty dumb to me.  

but that otherwise, if not for the "good cause", we wouldn't be able to see such an interesting sight on facebook. So did you change your profile pic? For the abused? or for fun?

Also, this.

EDIT: Let's change our profile pics to our favourite food next week to help end world HUNGER mofos!

#2 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Changed my profile pic, it may be dumb to some people but it's the thought that counts.

#3 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I am aware of child abuse, so I did not change my profile picture to a cartoon character.

#4 Edited by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -

It is beyond stupid.

How the hell is it going to stop/help anything?

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Changing your profile pic doesn't put an end to child abuse. If people want change, they need to put forth more effort than that.

#6 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

I'll change it soon, but I don't really get how it raises awareness on child abuse.

Also, can somebody help me? I need an idea for who to change it to.

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I want people to react to this like they reacted to the PETA Super Tofu Boy thing.  People saying they're going to abuse children because of this campaign.  I think that would be funny.

#8 Posted by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -
@Jimi said:
" Changed my profile pic, it may be dumb to some people but it's the thought that counts. "
How is it the thought that counts? How will your thoughts help a single child?
#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@damnboyadvance said:
" I'll change it soon, but I don't really get how it raises awareness on child abuse.  Also, can somebody help me? I need an idea for who to change it to. "
A cartoon character that you liked as a child. That should be easy.
#10 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4689 posts) -

I feel like a cunt. My FB profile has been Team Rocket for like two months, and now because some cunt wanted to do some charity for kids they think I am behind that? Fuck you.

#11 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

I didn't, but on the other hand I've seen people come out and say "I'm actually gonna do something and donate, not just change my picture." They wouldn't have done this without the pictures. 
And people are talking about it, which is the goal, so it seems like they've succeeded in their intentions. Just something to think about.

#12 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

Nope cause it doesnt help any. If people cared they would donate money or volunteer for something. Infact this isnt myspace this is facebook.

#13 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I don't mind people doing it but when they start posting on my wall telling me to do it and asking me why I haven't changed my picture then it pisses me off.  

But it is totally pointless and does absolutely fuck all to stop the problem. 

#14 Posted by rjayb89 (7719 posts) -

I do not have this facebook you speak of.  Therefore, shake the baby.

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I did not join it.
I will not support it anywhere but inside my head.

#16 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" Changing your profile pic doesn't put an end to child abuse. If people want change, they need to put forth more effort than that. "
#17 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I am aware of child abuse, but I do not think changing my Facebook photo to a cartoon character will change it. It seems like a pointless, not to mention foolish, method of drawing attention to child abuse. Cartoons do not reflect one's stance on anything at all, really. 

#18 Edited by themangalist (1731 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

" Changed my profile pic, it may be dumb to some people but it's the thought that counts. "
How is it the thought that counts? How will your thoughts help a single child? "
We have fond childhood memories, and so shows on the pic (innocence). Some kids are less lucky, and...

ya. bullcrap really.
#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Donating money doesn't put an end to child abuse. Sure, this whole profile picture change "has people talking", but will it have a major impact on abused and abusers? I highly doubt that.

#20 Posted by XenoNick (1394 posts) -

I changed mine to a pic of Optimus Prime.  I know this campaign wont change anything thought I'd join in anyways

#21 Posted by Entus (253 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" @Axxol said:
" Changing your profile pic doesn't put an end to child abuse. If people want change, they need to put forth more effort than that. "
"
#22 Posted by Three0neFive (2289 posts) -
@Entus said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Axxol said:
"
"
#23 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -
@Entus said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Axxol said:
"
"
#24 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

Cute idea -- reminding a person what its like to be a kid to prevent them from abusing a child. 

I don't think it would work, but it's a cute idea. 

#25 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -
@themangalist said:
"  
 @SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

How is it the thought that counts? How will your thoughts help a single child? "
We have fond childhood memories, and so shows on the pic (innocence). Some kids are less lucky, and...  ya. bullcrap really. "
I'm not saying my thoughts will help, however it does raise awareness. The point is to provoke further action. 

Besides, what is the harm in doing it?
#26 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@Jimi said:
" @themangalist said:
"  
 @SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

We have fond childhood memories, and so shows on the pic (innocence). Some kids are less lucky, and...  ya. bullcrap really. "
I'm not saying my thoughts will help, however it does raise awareness. The point is to provoke further action.  Besides, what is the harm in doing it? "
Arguably doing stuff like this (or donating a few dollars) gives people the notion that they've done their part towards the issue and that in some ways it's resolved. This means that you could be seeing people avoiding engaging in behavior that actually works towards solving problems, as you admit the picture change has no real benefit but it could potentially harm the cause.
#27 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

My current profile picture
#28 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6294 posts) -

If it gets even one person to donate then what harm is it doing? I did it, I figured why the Hell not?

#29 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
@Damian: You are a banner carrier for the fight against child abuse. Congratulations!
#30 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -
@beej said:
" @Jimi said:
" @themangalist said:
"  
 @SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

I'm not saying my thoughts will help, however it does raise awareness. The point is to provoke further action.  Besides, what is the harm in doing it? "
Arguably doing stuff like this (or donating a few dollars) gives people the notion that they've done their part towards the issue and that in some ways it's resolved. This means that you could be seeing people avoiding engaging in behavior that actually works towards solving problems, as you admit the picture change has no real benefit but it could potentially harm the cause. "
That is a fair point. However generally the people that will avoid doing anything further would not have even thought about it in the first place. It is debatable but in my opinion it is better that they spare a thought and not do anything due to laziness rather than not being aware and neglecting the issue altogether.
#31 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

Last time I checked, December was Pokemon profile picture month.  

LUDICOLO LUDICOLO

#32 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

Fuck no.

#33 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@Jimi: It is debatable, after posting that I went looking for the article I'd read that suggested that problems like that occurred with a different issue (affirmative action) but I couldn't find it. So we can just leave it at that I guess.
#34 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

Fuck this shit. It does nothing and makes zero sense. It is just a popularity thing and a way for people to make themselves feel good. 

However, I must admit, seeing all those pictures of the old shows makes me want to post a picture of Mummies Alive. Just cause I'm Egyptian. Bababoie bababoie bababoie

#35 Posted by Purple_Proletarius (170 posts) -

Still not as bad as when girls put up "I like it on the bed" "I like it sideways" during breast cancer month. Does nothing but confuse, then anger people, compounded by the fact that breast cancer has become a marketing tool.

#36 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

One i dont like facebook and two i hate children so if they get abused i really dont give a fuck.

#37 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -
@Damian:
"slow clap" 

That's great, I love it XD.  Bravo, good sir, bravo.
#38 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -
@Death_Unicorn said:
" @Damian: You are a banner carrier for the fight against child abuse. Congratulations! "
Aw man! I gotta carry a banner now? I just wanted to post a picture and be done with it.
#39 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

These avatar-based movements (there was one last year that involved tinting your Twitter picture green) baffle me a little bit, most often because they're not paired to a call to action.  Like, you have all these people changing their avatars on Facebook, and they're copying and pasting some block of text for their status.  But all that block of text says is "let's raise awareness".  It doesn't offer a link to a website, or some information on how you can make good on your newfound awareness.  Instead you're just kinda patting yourself on the back for being a part of something important.

#40 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -

Some children need to be abused
I suggest awareness be raised for that cause

#41 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

God you'd think people on the internet could not be such cynical assholes all the time? It's just a fun little thing to do, which at the very least will raise some awareness. It's not causing any harm so what's the problem? 

#42 Posted by Toxin066 (3271 posts) -

December is Pokemon Profile Picture month. We can be aware of child abuse some other month.

#43 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

Let's raise awareness for genital herpes by changing out avatars to pictures of our genitals!

#44 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

Though I appreciate the sentiment I dont see how it will change anything. There are some organisations which could possibly help lessen the amount of Child Abuse, and I do hope it does, but the person who decides to regularly beat a child does now care that my current Facebook avatar is a Care Bear, not for the sake of raising awareness just for the fun of it, and I doubt much cares that its an illegal action.

#45 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -
@Eric_Buck said:

" God you'd think people on the internet could not be such cynical assholes all the time? It's just a fun little thing to do, which at the very least will raise some awareness. It's not causing any harm so what's the problem?  "

It's not causing any harm. It's also not causing any help. If anything it just strikes me as some fad that's using child abuse as its scapegoat. 

http://www.restoretroubledteens.com/about-us.html    

That's where people should link. 
#46 Posted by Osaladin (2515 posts) -

I did, I don't think it will change anything, but well, the girl I'm pursuing told me to do it, and she has a vagina.

#47 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

There is a difference between a spanking and abuse, and anyone who advocates for abuse, I hope you go to hell because abuse is not a fucking laughing matter.

I agree that while the sentiment is nice, this is not the best way to deal with child abuse. It may raise awareness a little but it doesn't do much else.

#48 Posted by Lukeweizer (2639 posts) -

Changing my picture won't stop people from beating children.

#49 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

I did before knowing why everyone else was doing it.

#50 Posted by Blackout62 (1336 posts) -
@Damian: You rock so hard sir.