• 86 results
#1 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

This is now the official Giant Bomb craft beer thread.

I got mine:

Stood in line for an hour and forty minutes at 25° and froze my balls off, and the store ran out of their allotment just eight people behind me (leaving the remaining 80 people standing in line beyond them out in the cold.)

Westvleteren 12 motherfuckers, I will drink them all tonight.

I've been waiting years to try this shit.

#2 Posted by vikingdeath1 (987 posts) -

what? was today this beer's release day or something?

also: wasn't this already...... nevermind

#3 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Wait, they actually locked the other thread? That's amazing.

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

Stupid, Stupid dorks is better anyway.

#5 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3067 posts) -

This title is much more offensive.

#6 Posted by awesomeusername (4225 posts) -

@ThePickle: Yupp. You're not supposed to swear in titles.

#7 Posted by President_Barackbar (3467 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

what? was today this beer's release day or something?

also: wasn't this already...... nevermind

This specific Trappist monastery doesn't release their beer onto the commercial market normally, and only decided to because they need to pay for some expensive renovations. Normally you have to go to the monastery in Belgium to get it.

#8 Posted by MstrMnyBgs (124 posts) -

Question:

How much did that cost and how much Miller Lite can it buy me?

#9 Edited by StarFoxA (5161 posts) -

@MstrMnyBgs said:

Question:

From my quick Google-fu, it costs $84.99.

#10 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Damn I wish I coulda bought some of this beer!

#11 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

You're a stupid, stupid dork!

Also, Kraft® Beer.

#12 Posted by TheHT (11557 posts) -

What's the big deal with that beer?

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (12057 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:

@MstrMnyBgs said:

Question:

Somebody explain to me why.
#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Some one already did. Six posts up.

#15 Posted by bill (98 posts) -

inb4

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (12057 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:

@ajamafalous: Some one already did. Six posts up.

I read that; didn't give me any context at all. What's special about it other than "you normally can't buy it?"
#17 Posted by villainy (572 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

@MstrMnyBgs said:

Question:

I'd be interested to hear what thinks of Trappist beer. How much premium, custom, one-of-a-kind beer could he brew for $84.99? I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's more than ~67 oz. but is this somehow worth the cost?

#18 Posted by Nadril (537 posts) -

Too expensive for me, and I'm not a big fan of Quads anyways.

I mean fuck, I could get like 9 bombers of self-righteous ale anyways for that price.

#19 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Was there a midnight launch? Any pre-order bonuses? I'm sorry, i'll be heading out now. *leaves thread*

#20 Posted by Snail (8622 posts) -

Hahaha, yeah that other one wasn't gonna last.

I don't understand why we can't swear on thread titles but are allowed to on the actual posts.

#21 Posted by Seedofpower (3941 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin:

Did you stupid, stupid dorks get your Westie 12's?

I guess that's a good compromise. lol

Also, how much was the set of booze?

#22 Posted by Sanity (1941 posts) -

Nope, i drink cheap beer.

#23 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

I don't get beer snobs. I've had beer I know is crap, and I've had the beer that all my beer snob friends rave about. It all tastes mildly bad, but it's tolerable and then I'm a little buzzed, so that part's alright. When I started drinking, I figured it's an acquired taste, but while I have acquired tastes for things I didn't like in my teens (coffee, etc.), here I am well into my 20s, hundreds of beers later, and beer is still pretty meh. I know the broad categories taste different, and I can tell a lager from an ale, but effectively I cannot tell the quality difference between the crappiest lager you could give me and apparently one of the best lagers available.

So I think everybody is crazy for spending that much on beer. I drink beer to get drunk, but it's a shitty beverage in the taste department.

#24 Posted by Danteveli (1201 posts) -

Tell us how does it taste.

#25 Posted by dudeglove (8037 posts) -

Beer tastes like crap, wine spritzers all the way.

#26 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (522 posts) -

@villainy: I think the process and everything else behind actual Trappist beer is cool as hell - but in general, I am not a huge fan of Belgian style or Abbey style ales. For 84.99? Fuck, I could brew 10 gallons of Belgian Tripel (if we wanted to stick to style) or 15 gallons of mid-range IPA if I use my bulk hops. It wouldn't be worth it to me - but I can see the appeal for a certain group. The most I've ever spent was $25 on a bottle of Rogue's Fifteen Thousand Ale - it was their head brewer's 15,000th brew and they only produced 1515 750mL bottles of it, hand signed and numbered.

#27 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@Brewmaster_Andy said:

@villainy: I think the process and everything else behind actual Trappist beer is cool as hell - but in general, I am not a huge fan of Belgian style or Abbey style ales. For 84.99? Fuck, I could brew 10 gallons of Belgian Tripel (if we wanted to stick to style) or 15 gallons of mid-range IPA if I use my bulk hops. It wouldn't be worth it to me - but I can see the appeal for a certain group. The most I've ever spent was $25 on a bottle of Rogue's Fifteen Thousand Ale - it was their head brewer's 15,000th brew and they only produced 1515 750mL bottles of it, hand signed and numbered.

I'm not normally big on Belgian Quads either (I'm more of an IPA guy.) Usually they approach a cloying sweetness. This one, though, is just fucking outstanding. If you're a fan of phenomenal beer you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not trying it. It's better than any Belgian Quad I've ever had, Rochefort 10 included. It's sweet but completely balanced... honey notes - ginger and raisins. The ABV is so well hidden it's dangerous. I feel the same way about Belgian Quads that I do about stouts. I'm not huge into them but when I get a quality brew (like any of the Founders shit) it's definitely worth it.

I make regular four hour round trips into Vermont to pick up Heady Topper:

Ever had that shit? Best DIPA I've ever had, hands down. Grapefruit straight up your ass.

#28 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5147 posts) -

I refuse to drink beer out of these kind of glasses.

#29 Edited by tread311 (357 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

So I think everybody is crazy for spending that much on beer. I drink beer to get drunk, but it's a shitty beverage in the taste department.

Yep because if you don't enjoy something nobody else should either. Never forget to keep perspective in mind. I love a good beer and find wine to be disgusting but I know many people who really enjoy it. This is why different things exist.

#30 Posted by jking47 (1220 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin: Did you pour that beer into the cup? It specifically says to drink from the can. Is it a trick or something?

#31 Posted by tread311 (357 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin: I love that description. I do find that if an IPA is overwhelmingly grapefruit in taste I find it a little offputting. I'm pretty hit or miss with IPA's in general really. The Belgian stuff is much more my style but I just couldn't see myself shelling out for it.

#32 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

What is it and why should I care?

#33 Posted by tread311 (357 posts) -

@Kyreo: Stuff was imported for the first time ever on 12-12-12. It's a world class rated beer so that excites many people. Also, it's brewed in a monastery by monks. So there's that.

#34 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Seems dumb. Unless it is the greatest tasting alcholic beverage and can get you drunk in one sip, I don't see the appeal. Though... perhaps I drink for different reasons than most of you do.

#35 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (522 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin: I can appreciate the quad style, but don't like it, regardless of manufacturer. I honestly have no interest in drinking it. That said, I think that Heady Topper is one of the greatest beers I have ever had.

#36 Posted by Fallen189 (5036 posts) -

We brew our own liqour at our house. It's radical

#37 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

I would never spend that amount of money on something which I will consume so quickly but each to their own I guess.

#38 Posted by VoshiNova (1699 posts) -

Probably not quite as awesome, as I can purchase it at my local grocery store - BUT:

HOT DAMN IS THIS GOOD

Also, ........I'm not a stupid dork....

lol

#39 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

I can't quote people at work for some reason, apparently my browser doesn't support their text editor.______________________________________________________________________________________________________ @jking47: Yeah, I drink it exclusively out of glassware now. They claim it's designed to be drunk from the can (something about capturing the aroma and blah blah blah) but I find it superior out of a glass. It's completely unfiltered so in a glass you see all the debris and floaters and everything (which is tough to see from the picture I took) so for most people I think that would be slightly off-putting. I think that's why they recommend drinking it straight from the can, regardless of what they claim about the aroma. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ @Brewmaster_Andy: Yeah, it really is. It's fucking amazing. I have to drive 4 hours round trip into the bowels of VT to get it everytime (I usually pick up 6 4-packs at a time), and it's worth it every time.

#40 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (522 posts) -

@VoshiNova: 90 Minute is a solid, SOLID IPA. I actually really like the "continuous hopping" technique that DFH uses. I have mimicked that technique and it makes for an awesome IPA.

#41 Edited by Carncarn (32 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin I keep hearing about Heady Topper, I'll have to check if I can get it out here in SF. Looks delicious. Grats on your Westies.

#42 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

But the other thread had such a perfect title.

#43 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (522 posts) -

@Carncarn: Distribution is only in Vermont and some parts of NH and MA. They are a super small scale brewery. Maybe if I get my hands on some we can do a beer exchange, though; there are some west coast beers I can't get here.

#44 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2996 posts) -

@Snail said:

Hahaha, yeah that other one wasn't gonna last.

I don't understand why we can't swear on thread titles but are allowed to on the actual posts.

fuck you that's why

#45 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I got a bottle when I was in Belgium in October.

#46 Posted by oraknabo (1513 posts) -

I love Belgain Ale, but I complain about a 4 pack of Duvel costing $15.

#47 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Nope, i drink cheap beer.

Hell yeah I drink cheap alcohol, I don't need my drugs to have a nice taste.

#48 Posted by Superkenon (1467 posts) -
#49 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

The Alchemist is distributing in NH now? I'll have to look into that. I live in Southern NH but every time I get Heady Topper I to drive to VT (a place called Woodstock Hops and Barley.)

#50 Posted by oraknabo (1513 posts) -