• 52 results
#1 Posted by T00MuchSteeze (157 posts) -

Do you still buy cd's, books, games etc.  or go the route of digital downloads and reading on kindles type devices? I prefer actually owning a physical copy but I'm sure it will all be digital in the future. What is your preference?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

My local starbucks really hates kindle owners. 

#3 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

digital. Cause i hate people and ill never have to go to another best buy or gamestop again. fucking stupid employees.

#4 Posted by T00MuchSteeze (157 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" digital. Cause i hate people and ill never have to go to another best buy or gamestop again. fucking stupid employees. "
Good point. This dude at my Gamestop is constantly trying to get me to buy extra shit. EVERYTIME.
#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11378 posts) -

Physical copies. You can't throw digital content at zombies.

#6 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@T00MuchSteeze said:
" @scarace360 said:
" digital. Cause i hate people and ill never have to go to another best buy or gamestop again. fucking stupid employees. "
Good point. This dude at my Gamestop is constantly trying to get me to buy extra shit. EVERYTIME. "
"Do you want to buy some Microsoft Points for the new Call of Duty maps?" 

"No, I want you to just sell me this superior game, and fuck off"
#7 Posted by T00MuchSteeze (157 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @T00MuchSteeze said:
" @scarace360 said:
Good point. This dude at my Gamestop is constantly trying to get me to buy extra shit. EVERYTIME. "
"Do you want to buy some Microsoft Points for the new Call of Duty maps?"  "No, I want you to just sell me this superior game, and fuck off" "
You hit the nail on the head. 
#8 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Suggestive selling is just their job, is it so terrible for you to have to say no? Physical copies for me.

#9 Posted by Arkasai (702 posts) -

For the music I really like I make sure to have the CD, because unless I can find lossless versions online somewhere (pretty rare for most of my music) I cant get near CD quality with MP3s.  For other music I don't mind having a 320kbps+ MP3 version.

#10 Posted by T00MuchSteeze (157 posts) -

I mean I can't look at digital stuff on my shelf, let someone borrow it or look at the stuff I own unless I go to my computer. But digital is much more convenient. 

#11 Posted by Metzo_Paino (322 posts) -

Games I prefer in physical copies, but I've only just started to get a decent collection. 

I only buy physical copies of music from my favourite bands, and they are usually the type of people who put a little extra effort into it. 

Books I buy 2nd hand and as cheap as I can get them, though older or ones I'm unsure if I like, I download.

#12 Posted by IesuNoel (130 posts) -

I like to buy physical copies cause I'm quite the junkie for the art and the extra stuff as well.  I also like leafing through pages of books much more than tapping the screen of my android phone when reading though I do read through my phone when at work or outdoors.   

I usually get podcasts so most of the music I have are really gifts from others.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@T00MuchSteeze: hes completely right i just want this if i wanted something else i woulda bought it to but i dont SO DONT FUCKING ASK ME.
#14 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

Physical. Just in case I want to hug them ;)

#15 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

I have never downloaded music, I always buy CD's and I only download games when they are considerably cheaper than the hard copies, or if there isn't a hard copy. I rarely read books but when I do I like paper. 

#16 Posted by Jeknod (227 posts) -

Buy

I don't follow.
#17 Posted by Management (593 posts) -

Physical copies for me. CDs, games and books.

I like owning stuff I can see.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12145 posts) -
@Jeknod said:
"

Buy

I don't follow. "
You're so cool and counter-culture.

Anyway, digital for whatever I can. The end result of me buying a retail game with a disk read required is that I never end up playing it because I never want to put the disk in.
#19 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I like both, I don't care either way. I buy games on steam no problem, however I still buy physical copies. I don't buy console dlc content though, I don't trust it as much as steam.

#20 Posted by Jeknod (227 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @Jeknod said:
"

Buy

I don't follow. "
You're so cool and counter-culture.     Anyway, digital for whatever I can. The end result of me buying a retail game with a disk read required is that I never end up playing it because I never want to put the disk in. "
I know. I'm a rebellious angsty youth, just waiting to tear away from these chains of oppression forged by people like my parents. I've got some stuff you should read, man.
#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12145 posts) -
@Jeknod said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Jeknod said:
"

Buy

I don't follow. "
You're so cool and counter-culture.     Anyway, digital for whatever I can. The end result of me buying a retail game with a disk read required is that I never end up playing it because I never want to put the disk in. "
I know. I'm a rebellious angsty youth, just waiting to tear away from these chains of oppression forged by people like my parents. I've got some stuff you should read, man. "
Is it on hemp?
#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Physical. Just in case I want to hug them ;) "
Same here xD
#23 Posted by TomWhitbrook (434 posts) -

A bit of both, to be honest. I prefer having a physical copy but I'm very unlikely to buy a pc game I can't tie to my battle.net or steam account. In fact, I won't at all.

#24 Posted by DjTann3r (215 posts) -

#25 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

Physical copies for me. In a perfect world, I'd have physical copies of every game, even the XBLA games, PSN, etc. I like to see them all lined up on my wall. 

#26 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -

Both, depending on what I'm getting.

#27 Posted by Fjordson (2432 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
You know, places like Amazon would let you get your hands on physical copies without having to deal with people.

As for me, I don't buy CD's too often, but I still always buy books, Blu-Rays and games in their physical form.
#28 Posted by Peacemaker (1106 posts) -

Music I'm probably 95% digital.  There's a few select albums I may want a physical copy to.  Most of the time with them I just rip em to my computer anyway.  Basically everything else is physical though.  I don't mind downloading some Game On Demand stuff if I'm looking for something to play right away.

#29 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Fjordson: i do use amazon
#30 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -
@DjTann3r: I would totally download a bear

digital downloads are preferred.
#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

This generation I'm sticking with physical copies. I don't like knowing that I've got half of my games on the shelf, and half of them on my hard drive. I know that's silly, but I prefer having them all in once place. When we get another generation of consoles, if the option is available to go digital from the start, sign me up. For now though, I'm going to keep buying older games at 1/3 their price and adding them to my ever growing shelf of Xbox games.

#32 Posted by deskp (453 posts) -

i prefer the physical copy  

#33 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

I love the shelves of all the games I've bought over the past decade. It would destroy me to lose the ability to expand that in the future. So, I will personally fight tooth and nail to make sure physical copies never go out of style with cold hard cash.

#34 Posted by Aarny91 (3914 posts) -

A bit of both. Mostly downloading.

#35 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

Untill they offer me a price incentive to buy digital, I'll stick with physical whenever I can. As much as I'd like to see the On Demand Xbox games thing grow, I dont see the point of buying it online when its the same price in the store. I'll also never buy another itunes album that way, when they don't even give you 320kbps files.

#36 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -
@DjTann3r said:
"
"
Heck yes, I would if I could! 

Seriously though, I'm digital as all the way as I can be. I no longer have a CD player, just mp3 players, so getting my music digitally makes more sense (and I'm not so much of an audiophile to worry about lossless formats & bitrates). With games, it's just plain easier to own them digitally, for now. Pricing isn't always the best, but sales happen on digital media just like price drops do for physical media; just not as often. Movies are the one thing I prefer in physical media, due to space, but even then I prefer to rent Blu-Rays rather than buy them. 

This being said, I hate iTunes and refuse to purchase any music from that outlet anymore. I try to buy directly from the artists whenever possible. Consequently, I don't buy a lot of mainstream music.
#37 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Physical copies. I feel like I actually own them, since I can easily sell them, display them, or let a friend borrow a game. Plus, games are getting larger, and the thought of downloading a huge game sounds unappealing to me, since internet speeds aren't as fast as in other countries. Also, there's stuff like bandwidth caps to worry about. 

#38 Posted by Undeadpool (4996 posts) -
@T00MuchSteeze said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @T00MuchSteeze said:
" @scarace360 said:
"Do you want to buy some Microsoft Points for the new Call of Duty maps?"  "No, I want you to just sell me this superior game, and fuck off" "
You hit the nail on the head.  "
Sadly they have to do that or they'll be fired. 90% of them don't like it any more than you do, and the 10% that do are the kinds of sycophantic suck-ups that will make it to management positions and reinforce the behavior. 
As for the original post, I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in YEARS and I love it. I'm a very disorganized person and I tend to lose things very easily. The sad thing is, I haven't lost full games in general, just one of the two to four discs (which is a LOT more frustrating). With digital, I never have to worry about losing a part of the game.
#39 Posted by insanegamer (612 posts) -

i like to hold games in my hand.

#40 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Undeadpool: I thought bugging customers would be a bad thing but apparently gamestop dosent think so.
#41 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

Digital because I'm a PC gamer and Steam games are always cheaper then buying them at my local EB games. Plus it's a nightmare trying to find a way to get to the store and back as it's an hours drive from here. I have had a $100 gift card for EB games for almost a year now that I have yet to use for that very reason. Plus I don't want to buy a boxed copy of a game unless I can add it to my Steam games list like a Dawn of War or Team Fortress 2. With the exception of coming in one time when the guy was obviously having a shitty day I have never had a bad experience with my local EB Games. I haven't been there in over a year so it may have changed since I went last, but I have never had any problems with them.

#42 Posted by LiquidPrince (16154 posts) -

I hate DLC. I mean some kinds of DLC like Mass Effect add on DLC is alright, but otherwise I always like owning physical copies for movies and games. I even hate full DLC games. Even though I have already bought them I wish they would have released games like Monkey Island on disc as opposed to just have them be DLC.

#43 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

I still prefer to buy my games physically unless it's only available online. 

#44 Posted by TomWhitbrook (434 posts) -

Oh, including books? I can't stand those e-readers, so I'm quite happy with the book format at the moment.

#45 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

Physical Media feels safer then Digital Media. I can actually safeguard disks and paper, but files can be easily killed.
My Kindle is awesome for everything it holds, but it lacks the awesomeness of an actual book. 
I like both, it's just that Digital is killing off Physical.
#46 Posted by Undeadpool (4996 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" @Undeadpool: I thought bugging customers would be a bad thing but apparently gamestop dosent think so. "
BROTHER (or SISTER), have I got stories for you. Just so I won't get accused of filling up an entire page with a single post, I'll boil it down for you: I used to work in a Borders (a bookstore if you don't know) in a major metropolitan city. One day, we were all given the imperative to sell one certain book AT ANY COST. This included asking customers if they were interested in it. The problem became we had no way of knowing who had already been asked, but we'd get in trouble (like job losing trouble) if we didn't do it. So one customer could conceivably get several different employees asking them about the same book while they're just chilling and checking out what they actually want. To say this was a monumental failure is a gross understatement. To say it was continued is, sadly, unnecessary (of COURSE it was).
#47 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Undeadpool: Brother do i hate you for doing it but i under stand what your saying. But really if they want it ba enough they will buy it. So stores shouldnt have to push it.
#48 Posted by wrecks (2317 posts) -

Books & Retail 360 Games, hardcopy. Other than that, all digital all the time.

#49 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

I just love having a shelf packed with physical media to much to go all downloadable

#50 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

I do both actually, I've bought a few physical CD's this year, but also get a few off Itunes. I buy all my games physical, unless it's from xbox live arcade or PSN store.