Disney vs. Looney Tunes

Accolade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Poll Disney vs. Looney Tunes (237 votes)

Disney 25%
Looney Tunes 42%
Why not both? 33%

Let's weigh in on that hot topic from the 05/01/15 UPF. Disney or Looney Tunes?

• 
damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a bit of a cop out, but I voted for both, since I think they're different enough that there's no conflict in enjoying both.

I guess in my heart, I probably have more of a fondness for the work of Chuck Jones and Tex Avery etc than anything Disney, but I have a lot of respect for the immaculate craft of both.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By thelastgunslinger

Disney all the way for me. I assume it comes down to what you had the most exposure to as a child and for me that was Disney films more than Looney Tunes being aired on TV.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I've fallen out of love with Looney Tunes over the years. I'd certainly put high regard to that golden era of cartoons they made, but seeing them constantly air ever since I can remember existing puts a big bias for me in being tired of seeing it on.

I don't remember much to any of the old Mickey Mouse cartoons, but if their revitalization cartoons like DuckTales count, then they kinda win in spades. The only good Looney Tunes revitalization project I liked was the sitcom-like one they put out a couple of years ago, and that was cancelled way too quickly (oh, and I guess Tiny Toons was alright, too). Plus, being a website about videogames, Disney has put out way better video games then stuff with Looney Tunes on the cover.

Oh, and also fucking Space Jam

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

They're both great. It's not a cop out.

For a few years actually I hated Looney Tunes because it was fodder for Nickelodeon to fill an hour or two with nothing but Looney Tunes so I saw way too much of it and got real bored with it.

That was a long time ago, though. I doubt any channel still does that what with Looney Tunes now being considered evil because of it's violence or whatever stupid BS people say.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Looney Tunes, duh.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Sure there were some cool done spinoff shows when I was a kid. However Looney Toons holds up wayyyyy better.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I feel like Looney Tunes hinges entirely on whether you find it funny or not, and I never really did. I haven't watched any shorts since I was a kid, but all I remember was slapstick (which has no effect on me at all, sadly) and a lot of the same jokes being used in different settings.

Disney movies have jokes, but if they fall flat there's a lot more going on with characters and themes. I never watched much of the older Mickey Mouse shorts, but the DuckTales era of stuff is pretty great. Again, they both had jokes but DuckTales had adventure and intrigue, and Goof Troop sometimes had weirdly strong heartfelt stuff in it (the movie in particular).

From what I've seen, nowadays Disney is all live action sitcoms and new Looney Tunes is also a sitcom and not at all like Looney Tunes, so I can't say I'm too interested in what either are doing these days. The last movie Disney put out that I liked was that Winnie the Pooh one that did so badly it probably killed off any chance of another 2D animated film coming out of there.

Oh, and like someone said on UPF, Disney is everything now so they probably own a bunch of stuff I like now without me even knowing it.

bertrecht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always get the sense that Disney characters are more endearing, and thus it's such a pleasant experience to be able to meet King Mickey, for example, at Disney World.

Then again, maybe I've just been brainwashed by marketing executives. Also, who wants pleasant and cuddly with their cartoons? I want violent slapstick humor!

Accordingly, I cast my vote for Looney Tunes based on plain quality of material and more adult humor. MUCH more interesting cast of characters at their disposal as well.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

Pretty much every Looney Tunes movie is terrible, where at least some of the Disney ones are pretty great. The TV show thing is a wash because both have their great shows and terrible shows. Let's keep in mind here that TaleSpin, DuckTales, and those other tale or duck related shows are Disney.

Also, it might be worth noting that Disney now owns some amount of The Muppets.

Sandyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for both, because I each other for different reason. From what I remember, Loony Tunes was way more slapstick/sketch-based whereas the Disney-Toons I remember more because of the focus on story and characters. Duck Tales especially comes to my mind in regard to this. For some reason, I associate Disney Cartoons with a sense of adventure and Looney Tunes with pure slapstick-humor. I lean more towards Disney, because Darkwing Duck was my favorite cartoon as a kid.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looney Tunes cause they don't give a shit about violence. You bring me old Petey from the Disney universe as your big baddy I'll bring out the dufus Yosemite Sam or Elmer Fudd with the six shooter and the shotgun.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bribo

What about MGM cartoons?

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney animated movies are generally phenomenal, while their animated shows are generally not very good, and the absolute inverse is true of Looney Tunes. I prefer movies to shows, so I therefore prefer Disney.

As an aside, I always found the world of Looney Tunes to be kind of one-note, though fun, while the Disney universe is utterly massive and hyper-detailed. I don't think I would enjoy a Looney Tunes Land, while I almost don't go a day without feeling like I would like to go back to Disneyland soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I seem to remember watching a lot more Loony Tunes than Disney cartoons. I remember Loony Tunes being on a lot more frequently too but both are great.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall looney tunes; edgier and more consistently amusing for what it was back then. But man the goofy shorts were something else.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could never choose between them so I went with both. I spent much more of my youth with Looney Tunes, but Disney has put out tons of stuff that I absolutely love.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looney Tunes. Disney movies are obviously great, but on the podcast it seemed they were talking more about TV, and Looney Tunes (and Merrie Melodies!) were a more entertaining watch for me.

Velirno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The old Goofy cartoons (all the how-to stuff, especially the hockey one!) make it a tie for me. I agree with Jeff, though: Marvin the Martin is awesome.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Disney's animated movies and Looney Tunes TV cartoons.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hermes

I am assuming you are referring to Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies series against the similarly formatted Mickey Mouse Sound Cartoons/Silly Symphonies, right? Everything from the golden age, excluding movies and made for TV specials...

In that case, Looney Tunes beats them, hands down. The Goofy series are the few things on Disney's library that are on par with Looney Tunes.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Disney" can mean a lot of different things. The catalog of Disney movies and TV shows is way more expansive than Looney Tunes, they're hard to even compare. If we're just comparing TV shows, then I'd go Looney Tunes easily but if we're including movies, it's hard not to argue for Disney, just from sheer volume.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

While I don't think Disney is what it once was, good Disney is really fucking good, and most of their classic stuff I have a lot of reverence for. I also have a reverence for Looney Tunes. Both is definitely the way to go, because life simply wouldn't be as good without either one.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was definitely way more into Disney growing up. Movies, cartoons, even video games if you count Kingdom Hearts. Disney was actually a huge part of my childhood.

I never had much affinity for Looney Tunes. It was the type of show I would watch if I was bored on a saturday, but not something I would ever look forward to like Ducktales or something. As an aside, I actually did not even realized the show was called "Looney Tunes" and not "Looney Toons" until this topic, which is probably the greatest evidence of my relative indifference. To be fair, I think that's partly due to Tiny Toons Adventures, which I do remember liking as a kid.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney had Darkwing Duck, Gizmoduck, and Basil of Baker Street, but Daffy is the most gangsta-ass G to have ever lived, so it's basically a tie...

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For pure anmation quality, and pushing popular animation beyond something silly and "just for kids" old school Disney, but as far as funny and entertaining goes, and squashing and stretching what was posible with character animation, old school Looney Tunes.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If we're purely talking about the shorts strong cases can be made for both studios. Warner pushed humor and exaggeration while Disney moved the medium forward as an art form. I'm personally partial to Looney Tunes, they have the advantage of being a larger part of the public consciousness thanks to The Bugs Bunny and Tweety show and other wide television releases, while it was harder to find those old Disney shorts on TV. I'd like to join in with the folks expressing their appreciation of the great Goofy art of/how to cartoons.

I voted for both!

Loading Video...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30 FinalDasa  Moderator

If you mean just the Disney cartoons, I'd have to go with Looney Toons. I watched much more Looney Toons growing up almost constantly it felt like.

Whereas Disney was more about the films.

As an "adult" I find myself feeling more attached to Disney characters and the Disney "feeling".

Duluoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loony Toons is carried largely by the absolutely Herculean shoulders of Chuck Jones, in my opinion the greatest animation director of all time, and to a lesser extent Tex Avery and Bob Clamped. The rest of their directors were serviceable but did more generic slapstick. Don't give a shit about any of the modern stuff with the loony tunes characters.

I like some of Disney's animated movies but the stock "disney" cast of mickey/goofy/whoever does nothing for me.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Disney" is pretty vague compared to "Looney Tunes." The classic animated movies are what I think of when I think "Disney," so...my answer is Disney, all the way.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I imagine that Disney is much more important for historical reasons, impact on the history of animation, etc., but I really don't have much fondness for either of them, anymore.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Hunter5024

Looney Tunes is better TV.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're pitting Micky Mouse and Co. against Bugs Bunny and Co., I'd side Looney Tunes. If you're talking about All of Disney's Movies, then... well, suddenly it becomes a weird comparison, because Looney Tunes is of a much smaller scope, being pretty much just that cartoon, while the word Disney encompasses a damn lot. At that point, should we be calling this question Disney vs Warner Bros.?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animaniacs trumps both anyway.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If we are comparing Saturday morning cartoons I have to go with Disney. I mean this is my childhood summed up:

Loading Video...
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They've each got their strengths. The child me would definitely say Looney Toons though, because slapstick plus cheeky humor would have really connected with me... Oh ho ho, that stupid coyote, let's see what he's got in his back of tricks today.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

I grew up with Disney films so Disney all the way.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Disney cartoons have a wide variety of emotions going on, they're way more engaging than Loony Tunes. BUT. Loony Tunes doesn't take itself too seriously, it knows it's a silly cartoon, and knows its audience. It also has more jokes for the adults, cause it knows who is watching these with their kids. So I'd say I'm kinda stuck in the middle. I'd gravitate towards Loony Tunes though, just because I like the characters more. When they're done right that is.

Daffy can be an annoying crazy asshole making the whoo-hoo sounds over and over again, or a loser that everybody screws over because of his greed and whatnot, but he can be a fun down on his luck egotistical bastard that does something altruistic at the end of the story. The best stories are when he is overcoming his own shitty character traits to do something nice for a change, or the stories when he and Bugs team up.

And I'm not a big fan of Bugs, but he is at his best when something breaks his know-it-all trickster facade.

So yeah, Loony Tunes. These characters are far more iconic than most of the stuff that Disney's made. I'm not talking about the movies though.

spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lonney Toons stomps.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's different horses for different courses. Looney Toons ruled the TV airwaves and Disney were kings of the box office.