• 51 results
#1 Edited by calidan777 (853 posts) -

So I'm at a customer's house today installing a home theater and he tells me that he runs the biggest movie theater in my city and that he's been in the movie theater business for thirty something years(yeah,he remembered working a theater in Chicago when Star Wars came out and no one knew what it was).Anyway we get to talking about the business and how recent movies have fared which leads me to ask how District 9 did.He says that it did pretty good overall but didn't do very well in our neck of the woods (he says people didn't like the "documentary" style of the movie).He then proceeds to casually inform me that District 10 is being filmed RIGHT NOW.This guy has been in this business for a long time and has no reason to lie,and the fact the he said it so matter-of-factly make me believe he knows what he's talking about.Plus he said he didn't even like the movie,so I know it's not wishful thinking.Anyway,I know this was probably a no-brainer as I kind of expected a sequel,but hearing from someone who is "in the know" that  they are currently working on a sequel made me happy.

#2 Posted by Creamypies (4076 posts) -

I'm beginning to wonder what happened to District 1 through 8.

#3 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -

I have some serious doubts about the accuracy of this information, but one thing I'll say is if there is a sequel to District 9, there's no way it will be called District 10.

#4 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -
@creamypies: 
lol,me too,I would love to see them
#5 Posted by MB (12739 posts) -

I'm wondering why someone who "runs" a movie theater would know any details about the production of an allegedly upcoming movie. That's really not "in the business" at all. It's like someone that works at Gamestop who claims to have details about an upcoming title...when really they're just full of crap.

#6 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
" I think your friend is BSing you, but I don't doubt that they're making a sequel. "
He's actually a customer of mine,not my friend which is the reason I believed him, (my friends would almost definitely be BS'ing me)
#7 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

Just outta curiosity but why would the movie theater manager know that? Sounds like a bunch of bullshit...

#8 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -
@RetroIce4 said:
" Just outta curiosity but why would the movie theater manager know that? Sounds like a bunch of bullshit... "
Yeah, pretty much totally agree. Until I read something about it on /Film, I don't believe it.
#9 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -
@MB said:
" I'm wondering why someone who "runs" a movie theater would know any details about the production of an allegedly upcoming movie. That's really not "in the business" at all. It's like someone that works at Gamestop who claims to have details about an upcoming title...when really they're just full of crap. "
Well what he told me was that,(and he could be full of shit for all I know) the movie studio's were alot more involved with the theaters these days because of things like piracy and ticket sales and what not and that over the span of his career he had made many friends in the industry.Plus this guy has been doing this for over 30 years for AMC and Regal and has worked all over the country,so I probably wouldn't say he was no different than some guy at Gamestop.
#10 Posted by RyanD (93 posts) -
@calidan777 said:
" @MB said:
" I'm wondering why someone who "runs" a movie theater would know any details about the production of an allegedly upcoming movie. That's really not "in the business" at all. It's like someone that works at Gamestop who claims to have details about an upcoming title...when really they're just full of crap. "
Well what he told me was that,(and he could be full of shit for all I know) the movie studio's were alot more involved with the theaters these days because of things like piracy and ticket sales and what not and that over the span of his career he had made many friends in the industry.Plus this guy has been doing this for over 30 years for AMC and Regal and has worked all over the country,so I probably wouldn't say he was no different than some guy at Gamestop. "
i would say he is no different from a guy at gamestop. this just sounds like he heard someone say the word district 10 and immediately assumed sequel in the making. if it was in production or filming a lot more than just this guy would have heard about it by now. the press would be all over that biz
#11 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

The 1st movie's copout ending prettymuch confirmed it already.

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

Would anyone seriously be surprised if they didn't make *some* kind of sequel about this majorly hyped, low overhead (compared to other "blockbusters"), high grossing movie?

#13 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" I'm beginning to wonder what happened to District 1 through 8. "
I bet they are going to do the movies star wars style, district 9 came out first so now they are going to come out with 1-8
#14 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" Would anyone seriously be surprised if they didn't make *some* kind of sequel about this majorly hyped, low overhead (compared to other "blockbusters"), high grossing movie? "
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, but I just seriously doubt one random theatre manager is privy to information that hasn't made its way onto the internet.
#15 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -
#16 Edited by AndrewB (7669 posts) -
@Chaser324: Oh, so do I, most definitely. But really, it doesn't matter, since we all know it'll be coming sooner or later. I guess the only "news," if this is true, is that it's being made right now. However, if it isn't on IMDB right now, I'd seriously doubt that. Stuff like that becomes knowledge even before script writing begins, and I doubt they'd have already gotten through that phase. Not even close. At the very best, they're in pre-planning stages. Maybe talking about a script.
#17 Posted by RyanD (93 posts) -
@calidan777 said:
" Check out this interview with Neil Blomkamp saying that he would do a "District 10" if District 9 is successful.Scroll down to part 2 of the interview,it's at about 2:17 that the interviewer asks about a sequel.

"
well im not doubting the possibility of district 10, im doubting the fact that it is in production/ filming right now and this guy is the only one who knows about it
#18 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -
@calidan777: No one is doubting that a sequel is very likely. The movie has already recouped it's very low production costs and the director is on board to do another film in the same universe.

The only thing that's in question here is the credibility of this random guy who told you that the sequel is already filming.
#19 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -
@Chaser324:  I don't think there's anything to doubt. They can't be filming right now, since they had no idea how it would do at the box office, and thus wouldn't have written another script and gotten together a whole cast of people without leaking a word.
#20 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" @Chaser324:  I don't think there's anything to doubt. They can't be filming right now, since they had no idea how it would do at the box office, and thus wouldn't have written another script and gotten together a whole cast of people without leaking a word. "
Yeah you're right...I was just trying to be nice to the OP. The theatre manager guy is full of BS.
#21 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" @Chaser324: Oh, so do I, most definitely. But really, it doesn't matter, since we all know it'll be coming sooner or later. I guess the only "news," if this is true, is that it's being made right now. However, if it isn't on IMDB right now, I'd seriously doubt that. Stuff like that becomes knowledge even before script writing begins, and I doubt they'd have already gotten through that phase. Not even close. At the very best, they're in pre-planning stages. Maybe talking about a script. "
Yeah,I totally forgot about films that were still being filmed being on IMDB,so yeah he probably is full of shit.I'm still hopeful that they'll do another one,the director seems to want to.
#22 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Doubt it, alot.

#23 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

!!!Spoilers!!! !!!Spoilers!!! !!!Spoilers!!! 
If you saw the movie, you should be able to point out the exact line when it was pretty obvious there was hopes for a sequel, providing it did well... and it did.
When "Chris," the smart alien, is running to the crashed escape ship, after the main character falls to his knees in the big mech suit, he turns around and says "I will be back, I promise. In 3 years, I will be back." As soon as I heard that, I figured that was supposed to be an obvious lead-in to the next movie.
!!!Spoilers!!! !!!Spoilers!!! !!!Spoilers!!!

#24 Posted by Dalai (7042 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" I'm beginning to wonder what happened to District 1 through 8. "
It's basically like Final Fantasy. Nobody gave a shit about the series until VII.  Same applies to the District series I guess.
#25 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
If you were paying attention to the first half of the movie at all before it became a lame scifi videogame, the district thing was an allegory for African aparthide going on at that time, where different tribes were assigned to different districts, often rival tribes to the same district, and forced to live together. The 8 other districts would be filled with humans. All you have to do is pay attention and the movie answers these questions, guys. Work on that ADD.
#26 Posted by Dalai (7042 posts) -
@ryanwho: I couldn't pay attention because I never saw it.  Don't care to, either.
#27 Posted by Bald3rdash (253 posts) -
@calidan777: He owns a movie theater and you believe that he has insider information about a District 9 sequel?  

He owns a theater

owns  

theater
#28 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@ryanwho: Lol, I agree with your tone. I loved the movie, though. Didn't like the first minutes because the main character's acting irritated me.
#29 Posted by AllThatBacon (547 posts) -

Right now? No. In the near future? Probably.

#30 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

i dont doubt they will do a sequel, the movie seemed made with a sequel in mind. Whether they are working on it right now or not, i dunno.

#31 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Until you can add spaces between punctuation, I don't believe you. I do, however, think it will happen.

#32 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -
@systech said:
" Until you can add spaces between punctuation, I don't believe you. I do, however, think it will happen. "
Really?Really?
#33 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

idon'ttrustanyonewhodoesn'tusespaces,andneithershouldyou.

#34 Posted by F1 (346 posts) -

" On August 1, 2009, two weeks before District 9 was released to theaters, Neil Blomkamp hinted that he intended to make a sequel if the film was successful enough and again upon the interview with the Rude Awakening he fully admitted to it saying "There probably will be". Nevertheless, he revealed that his next project is unrelated to the District 9 universe. " 

From Wikipedia

I don't care for a sequel. I LOVED the movie and everything, but I don't want them to make a sequel for the sake of making one. If they can make it as great and insightful as the first, I would be interested.

#35 Posted by Akeldama (4253 posts) -

just like the SAW series.  

Take a decent idea...AND MILK THE FUCK OUT OF IT!

#36 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

Your friend has no idea what happens in film production, therefore he is lying.

#37 Posted by StarFry64 (170 posts) -

Well - SPOILER - but I think Neill Blomkamp would make a sequel 3 years after this film, just like how in the end of the film, Wikus has to wait 3 years to be human againt.

#38 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

if the people watched the movie it said that district 10 is still active. it is saying that there is going to be a district 10. i'm happy to hear and already knew that there was going to be another district movie. i just hope that they dont' plan on milking the series. what somebody else said, it will be like the saw movies. it would suck if that happened.

#39 Posted by BlueBeef (2 posts) -

Its been three years and still no sequel.

#40 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

This is far from a credible source but I would guess there will be a District 9 sequel. I doubt they'll call it District 10, though. Gonna go watch District 9 again, bee arby.

#41 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

@bluebeef said:

Its been three years and still no sequel.

I was really excited seeing this thread. Now my hopes are dashed thanks to you.

#42 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Dammit, thought this was just posted.

However, the sequel is apparently still being made, so the hope is still there!

#43 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

How the fuck do you people manage to find these 3 year old threads in Off-topic!?

I mean sure digging up an old thread in a game specific forum who happens to have only a dozen topics can happen but in off-topic?

#44 Edited by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

Uhhhh, thanks BlueBeef, for making an account just so you could necro a thread that is miles deep in the off-topic board? I really hope you got here through a Google search or something.

Kinda funny how clearly full of shit that guy's story was, though.

#45 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

What a random bump.

#46 Posted by mellotronrules (1223 posts) -

may she rest in peace- not every movie needs a sequel.

#48 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

Hey guys, I heard Valve are making a sequel to Half-Life 2...

#49 Edited by face15 (1303 posts) -

Well that seems like complete bullshit, but damned if I don't hope it's true. District 9 was great.

#50 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1453 posts) -

Man........Hopes were brought up then immediately crushed. At least that Moon sequel is still happening D,: