DJ Sets I Performed (Free downloads too)

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By miningguyx360

Hey guys, thought you might be interested in listening to some DJ set I performed recently and recorded. I'm still quite an amateur but if you would kindly provide some feedback it'd be gladly appreciated.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

@Miningguyx360: Selection sounds good, though I'd do some work on your mixing and crossovers. As a House / Drum&Bass DJ I have it easier, since beats are (mostly) constant and easy to do nice mixing of. Hip Hop and Soul, however, requires even more work to do smooth crossovers. But keep at it man. :)

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mikethekilla

@Miningguyx360: Pretty good stuff bro.

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By miningguyx360

Thanks man

yeah I don't have any equipment so the cross-fading is really all done with the filter option. I use Traktor, my mom's HP and a mouse. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated! Any tips on what I should buy first when it comes to equipment?

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By LD50

Oof, you picked some tricky stuff to mix in the first set. Stuff like that I tend to keep an ear out for a cymbal I can get the tempo from. They tend to stay pretty regular even when the beat and the bass if going nuts. The second set is more my speed. Not bad, I think the volume between the two sources might be a little off. Good selection of tunes. I see you putting some style on your transitions too. I started out with house (pretty simple to mix), then to hip hop before moving into jungle and D&B.

It's a MF to mix with software, quantising is your friend.

All the techno/electronic dance music I've mixed has had pretty specific intro and outro cues for the DJ to let them know when to bring in a new record. Not so much with rap and hip hop. It took me a hot minute to figure that out. Listening to other DJs you respect spin the same records you have will help tremendously. You're familiar with the songs and you can get a good idea of when the transitions occur.

I'm not sure how far turntables have come in the last ten years, but I wouldn't use anything but a Technic 1200 or some variation of the model. You'll just develope bad habits on shitty equipment. Expect to $600 new, per turntable. ProTip - Contact the recording studios in your area to see if they know anyone looking to sell a turntable or a mixer. The Technics are studio quality, and if they aren't selling one they might know someone that is. It's a good network to get into anyway. You'll be looking for P.A. equipment before to long, and knowing studio dudes helps. They usually have connections.

You may already know these things, but I thought I'd chunk it out there anyway.