• 116 results
#1 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

So, I saw it yesterday and it blew my fucking mind. I hate to be hyperbolic(even though I always am), but it's up there in my favorite Tarantino movies.

What did you guys think of it, and please someone tell me what music was playing during the shootout What did you guys think of it, and please someone tell me what song was playing during

the shootout inside Candie's plantation(not the one where Django returns, the one where he eventually surrenders).

I need to know.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13236 posts) -

I saw it yesterday too. It's god damn fantastic. Tomorrow, that soundtrack WILL be playing all day at work.

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13236 posts) -

@jillsandwich: Have you checked out the OST? I don't remember specifically what song was playing during that specific scene, but it seems pretty complete.

#4 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Looks boring as fuck.

#5 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@jdh5153: It's not.

Looks like a non funny Western version of Rush Hour.

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I saw it today. It's a great film. Also up there among Tarantino films for me too.

I think it's, along with "Basterds", his most easily watchable film yet. The story is simple but effective. And goddamn is Christoph Waltz an amazing actor. He was a revelation in Inglourious Basterds and manages to top that performance in Django.

#7 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Then you know absolutely nothing about this movie.

#8 Posted by jacksmedulla (280 posts) -

Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, and the spaghetti western is one of my favorite genres, so my expectations were pretty high. Surprisingly, it was even better than I expected, and I consider it to be my favorite, although not necessarily the best, Tarantino movie. Many of the reviews I had read prior to seeing the film complained about the final twenty minutes as being superfluous and unnecessary, and that it ruins the pacing of the film, but I completely disagree. I expected a Return of the King scenario based on all of the complaints.

#9 Posted by jacksmedulla (280 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I've been playing the soundtrack all day, specifically "Unchained - James Brown/ 2pac" ,"100 Black Coffins - Rick Ross", and "Too Old to Die Young - Brother Dege".

#10 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

are you familiar with tarantino's work at all?

#11 Posted by TooWalrus (13236 posts) -

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

This is a guy who's GOTY is Black Ops II. You should feel better about yourself knowing he's not into Tarantino.

#12 Edited by Giantstalker (1686 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

The story is simple but effective. And goddamn is Christoph Waltz an amazing actor. He was a revelation in Inglourious Basterds and manages to top that performance in Django.

Despite hating the movie overall, I thought he was fantastic in it. Easily the best part of the film. (EDIT: Talking about Inglorious Basterds)

Django Unchained looks better but, I'm wary of Tarantino overall.

#13 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

So, i don't like Tarantino. Kill Bill was great, Pulp Fiction was okay and Inglorious Basterds was HORRIBLE in my opinion. I love B-Movies and Spaghetti Westerns... Should i watch this movie?

#14 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Nope. Never really heard of him...I think he made The Matrix, but never cared to watch it.

#15 Edited by BoG (5191 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Then he knows absolutely nothing about Quentin Tarantino. Do yourself a favor man, see Django, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Kill Bill... anything by Tarantino.

Django was fantastic. First, QFT:

@Pr1mus said:

And goddamn is Christoph Waltz an amazing actor. He was a revelation in Inglourious Basterds and manages to top that performance in Django.

When the credits rolled, I only wanted to know who played Dr. King. He was amazing in this movie. Until you said this, I didn't realize he was in Basterds, but the moment you said that I knew exactly what you were talking about. Give that man 100 awards. Dr. King Schultz is probably my new favorite Tarantino character. Speaking of acting, everyone did a great job in this movie. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo was fantastic, the acting was so good.

The writing was up to par with every other Tarantino film. So, that means it was fantastic.

I'm going to go back and rewatch every Tarantino film. I want to look for the subtle criticisms of American intelligence, realtive to that of people from other countries. In this movie, Dr. Schultz is far more intelligent than any other character. In the beginning, the two slave traders demand a few times that he "speak English" when they don't know the words he uses. The most intelligent American we meet, Calvin Candie, is still a dimwit compared to King. His English is poor, and he doesn't even know who Dumas is, in spite of being a self-proclaimed "francophile." Inglorious Basterds was similar. All of the European characters I can recall were more intelligent than the American Basterds."Gratzee!" I doubt I'll find anything similar in the earlier films, but I need to look.

Anyways, Django is another great addition to the Tarantino canon.

@jdh5153 said:

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Nope. Never really heard of him...I think he made The Matrix, but never cared to watch it.

Ok, google him NOW. He did NOT make The Matrix.

#16 Posted by Iodine (549 posts) -

The movie made blazing saddles references and had the best use of Rick Ross any form of media ever will.

All the goddamn loves

#17 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@BoG said:

@Pr1mus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Then he knows absolutely nothing about Quentin Tarantino. Do yourself a favor man, see Django, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Kill Bill... anything by Tarantino.

@Pr1mus said:

And goddamn is Christoph Waltz an amazing actor. He was a revelation in Inglourious Basterds and manages to top that performance in Django.

When the credits rolled, I only wanted to know who played Dr. King. He was amazing in this movie. Until you said this, I didn't realize he was in Basterds, but the moment you said that I knew exactly what you were talking about. Give that man 100 awards. Dr. King Schultz is probably my new favorite Tarantino character. Speaking of acting, everyone did a great job in this movie. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo was fantastic, the acting was so good.

The writing was up to par with every other Tarantino film. So, that means it was fantastic.

I'm going to go back and rewatch every Tarantino film. I want to look for the subtle criticisms of American intelligence, realtive to that of people from other countries. In this movie, Dr. Schultz is far more intelligent than any other character. In the beginning, the two slave traders demand a few times that he "speak English" when they don't know the words he uses. The most intelligent American we meet, Calvin Candie, is still a dimwit compared to King. His English is poor, and he doesn't even know who Dumas is, in spite of being a self-proclaimed "francophile." Inglorious Basterds was similar. All of the European characters I can recall were more intelligent than the American Basterds."Gratzee!" I doubt I'll find anything similar in the earlier films, but I need to look.

@jdh5153 said:

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Not gonna waste my time. This movie looks like trash, I'm sure if his other movies are anything like it they aren't worth the time to Google them.

#18 Posted by meaninoflife42 (520 posts) -

I really liked it despite the fact that I thought Jamie Foxx's performance was a bit uneven.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'm dying to see it.

#20 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@jdh5153: May I ask, what movies do you like?

#21 Posted by Voxus (342 posts) -

Obvious troll is obvious.

#22 Posted by TheHT (11513 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

This is a guy who's GOTY is Black Ops II. You should feel better about yourself knowing he's not into Tarantino.

I'm not seeing a connection.

#23 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@jdh5153

@BoG said:

@Pr1mus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Pr1mus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Not gonna waste my time. This movie looks like trash, I'm sure if his other movies are anything like it they aren't worth the time to Google them.

You realize Pulp Fiction is widely considered on the greatest films...ever...right?
#24 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@BoG said:

The Social Network, Juno, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, (500) Days of Summer, Take this Waltz, Like Crazy, Listen to Your Heart, Kick-Ass...

#25 Posted by Iodine (549 posts) -
@0blivion

I wanted to see how long people would fall for that. I figured the matrix was obvious enough
#26 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@jdh5153

@BoG said:

@Pr1mus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Pr1mus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

You realize Pulp Fiction is widely considered on the greatest films...ever...right?

Oh yeah? Never bothered. I saw like bits and pieces...some dancing some boxing and random stuff.... didn't interest me.

#27 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

Waltz and DiCaprio were both outstanding and I liked Fox too. It was a good movie. Got grim at times and so silly at others which I found compelling.

Big year for the Boss. Cracked up when I heard "Black Coffins". Whooop!

#28 Edited by TooWalrus (13236 posts) -

@Iodine said:

@0blivion

I wanted to see how long people would fall for that. I figured the matrix was obvious enough

I actually argued with him for awhile in another thread... /sigh. I'm an idiot. I should have recognized his stupid bathroom self-shot from that time he was wishing Nintendo would go out of business, and how he was proud to be an xbox fanboy in the system wars. Ugh.

#29 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@Iodine said:

@0blivion

Obvious? Could've sworn it was by the Tarantino brothers or whatever. Didn't they both make those grindhouse movies? Those guys made the Matrix as far as I was aware...but I've never cared to pay the slightest attention to the matrix or who made it.

#30 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@BoG said:

The Social Network, Juno, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, (500) Days of Summer, Take this Waltz, Like Crazy, Listen to Your Heart, Kick-Ass...

I haven't seen Kick-Ass, but it's an action comedy. If you like that kind of movie, you'll enjoy Tarantino. All of his movies are hilarious action comedies. The only reason you wouldn't like his movies would be if you don't like graphic violence.

#31 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@jillsandwich: Have you checked out the OST? I don't remember specifically what song was playing during that specific scene, but it seems pretty complete.

Yeah, I bought the soundtrack on Amazon, and I've been trying to figure out what it was. Honestly, I was in such a delirious state of pleasure watching that scene that I probably wouldn't recognize the music if I wasn't seeing that guy getting shot in the kneecaps like twelve times.

#32 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@BoG said:

@jdh5153 said:

@BoG said:

I haven't seen Kick-Ass, but it's an action comedy. If you like that kind of movie, you'll enjoy Tarantino. All of his movies are hilarious action comedies. The only reason you wouldn't like his movies would be if you don't like graphic violence.

Okay...but from the trailer this looks as funny and actiony as Rush Hour...which is to say, not at all.

#33 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@jdh5153: I honestly can't recommend Tarantino enough, I'm a big fan. I don't like Rush Hour, either. It is absolutely nothing like Rush Hour.

#34 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

So, i don't like Tarantino. Kill Bill was great, Pulp Fiction was okay and Inglorious Basterds was HORRIBLE in my opinion. I love B-Movies and Spaghetti Westerns... Should i watch this movie?

Yes but we need to know what you didn't like about Basterds.

I say yes because you like Spaghetti Westerns and this is a fantastic one. That said, visually and structurally the movie is a lot closer to Inglourious Basterds than to any other Tarantino films before it. However the dialogues don't go on for as long at a time and the movie generally moves faster than a lot of Tarantino movies. Christoph Waltz's character is a lot like his character (The Jew Hunter) in Basterds in how he talks and generally acts. So if you didn't like him in Basterds than maybe the answer is no?

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@BoG

@jdh5153: I honestly can't recommend Tarantino enough, I'm a big fan. I don't like Rush Hour, either. It is absolutely nothing like Rush Hour.

Django's only similarity to Rush Hour is the main characters race. It's a brutally violent, gut wrenching movie on the monstrosity of slavery mixed with a really fun spaghetti western satire. It's fantastic. Tarantino does it again.
#36 Posted by csl316 (8954 posts) -
@Pr1mus

I saw it today. It's a great film. Also up there among Tarantino films for me too.

I think it's, along with "Basterds", his most easily watchable film yet. The story is simple but effective. And goddamn is Christoph Waltz an amazing actor. He was a revelation in Inglourious Basterds and manages to top that performance in Django.

I don't believe he can top that. This means I NEED to see Django this weekend.
#37 Edited by BoG (5191 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: I don't count that as a similarity, though. If that's the standard, then Pulp Fiction is like Rush Hour because Sam Jackson and John Travolta walk around together. Granted, their race is more important in this movie, because it's about slavery. However, it does not define the two characters' relationship, or the film's humor. On everything else you said, I completely agree.

#38 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Such an over-the-top film, you could tell Tarantino had fun making this one. Christoph Waltz was great yet again and I loved seeing Leonardo DiCaprio completely let loose with his role after so many serious drama performances. I admit it went on a bit too long like Inglorious Basterds but most of it worked so it wasn't a huge deal. Might be my second favorite Tarantino film after Pulp Fiction.

#39 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@csl316 said:

@Pr1mus

I don't believe he can top that. This means I NEED to see Django this weekend.

You do.

#40 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1698 posts) -

@BoG: Yeah, I also didn't figure out Dr. Schultz was Christoph Waltz until I looked it up on IMDB afterwards, then I felt so stupid. He really was amazing in this film!

So glad I left work a little early today to go see Django, this movie ruled. Definitely blown away by it, it's some of Tarantino's best work, from top to bottom. Great performances, writing, soundtrack.

@jacksmedulla said:

Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, and the spaghetti western is one of my favorite genres, so my expectations were pretty high. Surprisingly, it was even better than I expected, and I consider it to be my favorite, although not necessarily the best, Tarantino movie. Many of the reviews I had read prior to seeing the film complained about the final twenty minutes as being superfluous and unnecessary, and that it ruins the pacing of the film, but I completely disagree. I expected a Return of the King scenario based on all of the complaints.

There were a couple points that I thought the movie was going to end (end of the first shootout in the Candie plantation, and then after the escape from the Australian gents), but given the final scene, I was glad it didn't. I could see people complaining about the end section, but it's a minor complaint at best, and saying it ruins the pacing is a bit of an overstatement.

#41 Posted by Embryonic (145 posts) -

I'm glad to hear Foxx put in a decent performance. He's probably my biggest point of skepticism for this movie.

#42 Edited by Aegon (5702 posts) -

I'm sorry, but dude from Justified grabbing another man's clearly visible cock and balls was just too much for me. I've never seen a more intimate interaction between two characters in a movie. Nevermind between two men. Tarantino seemed to have no filters while he was making this movie. It needed some more editing I think. Inglorious Basterds seemed like the sweet spot, but this was too much. Not just in terms of being extremely graphic, but the pacing was just way too all over the place and what's with the 100 songs that he used throughout the whole movie, including 2 rap songs.

I should mention that there were plenty of enjoyable moments in the movie, it's just the pacing and some directorial/editing choices that I feel like were too much.

#43 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Pr1mus said:

@MikeGosot said:

I say yes because you like Spaghetti Westerns and this is a fantastic one. That said, visually and structurally the movie is a lot closer to Inglourious Basterds than to any other Tarantino films before it. However the dialogues don't go on for as long at a time and the movie generally moves faster than a lot of Tarantino movies. Christoph Waltz's character is a lot like his character (The Jew Hunter) in Basterds in how he talks and generally acts. So if you didn't like him in Basterds than maybe the answer is no?

Ha! I hated Basterds for the dialogue and pace, so i'll check out Django. Also, there were not many nazis getting killed in Basterds, so it was kind of disappointing and overall pretty boring for me. Still, i'm going to check out Django. Thanks, buddy!
#44 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@MikeGosot: Warning: Pacing is not Django's strong point. I didn't think Basterds had any pacing problems, but most would agree that Django does. That being said, I enjoyed every second of it. The place where many say it should have ended is really clear. However, I enjoyed what followed that point. At the end, it didn't really feel superfluous. To compare, I thought that The Dark Knight had much worse pacing.

I'm curious, though, what don't you like about the dialogue in IB? I can understad why someone wouldn't like Tarantino's dialogue (I love it), but I feel like his writing is consistent. There is no mistaking Tarantino dialogue. If you aren't a fan, I could see you not enjoying this movie's dialogue, either.

#45 Edited by Aegon (5702 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Pr1mus said:

@MikeGosot said:

Ha! I hated Basterds for the dialogue and pace, so i'll check out Django. Also, there were not many nazis getting killed in Basterds, so it was kind of disappointing and overall pretty boring for me. Still, i'm going to check out Django. Thanks, buddy!

Wtf, Django has way more Dialogue. Or maybe I liked the script/dialogue more in Basterds, which made it seem faster? I really doubt it though. There were some long ass conversations in Django with lots of simmering and "bathing in the moment". And like I said in my earlier post, the pacing is one of the worst parts of Django. All over the place compared to Basterds.

#46 Posted by weegieanawrench (1941 posts) -

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it. I love me some Tarantino!

#47 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Pr1mus said:

@MikeGosot said:

Wtf, Django has way more Dialogue. Or maybe I liked the script/dialogue more in Basterds, which made it seem faster? I really doubt it though. There were some long ass conversations in Django with lots of simmering and "bathing in the moment". And like I said in my earlier point, the pacing is one of the worst parts of Django. All over the place compared to Basterds.

There may very well be more dialogues in total in Django but i don't think any single one goes on for as long as some of the dialogues in Basterds. They usually get to the point or the joke faster in Django. Or at least it felt this way to me. Also i think the dialogues are generally more accessible in Django. I think a lot of it is due to the average intellect of most characters in the movie which are, let's face it, a bunch of uneducated rednecks.

I'm not sure about pacing. To me it just felt like they never stayed in one spot for too long compared to Basterds. Doesn't mean the pacing is better or worse but i never had time to get bored of any one scene, location or dialogue while some of the scenes in Basterds i wish would have moved a bit faster.

#48 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@BoG: To be fair, i think Taratino's dialogue is just... okay. There are some clever moments that i like and i really enjoyed the gun conversation in Death Proof, but for me they're just okay. In Pulp Fiction the hamburger talk was alright, and the Superman line in Kill Bill was awesome, but... That's it. In IB there was some dialogue in the beginning of the movie when there are some guys hiding in the house... AND THAT DIALOGUE TOOK SO FUCKING LONG. The scene had everything to be tense and it just made me feel bored. The part where Brad Pitt tries to fake an accent? WTF was that? A goddamn cartoon? The movie sucked all the emotion from me in certain scenes, and the movie was really slow! Nothing happens! And when it happens? It's lackluster. And i really fucking loved Kill Bill so i don't know what went wrong here. Also, I'm sorry if my explanation sucks, it's 3 A.M. here.

@Aegon
Now i'm worried about Django. Still... I'm going to check it out, but i guess not in Theathers.
#49 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@BoG

@MariachiMacabre: I don't count that as a similarity, though. If that's the standard, then Pulp Fiction is like Rush Hour because Sam Jackson and John Travolta walk around together. Granted, their race is more important in this movie, because it's about slavery. However, it does not define the two characters' relationship, or the film's humor. On everything else you said, I completely agree.

I meant that as a "they're nothing alike" comparison.
#50 Posted by el_stork (65 posts) -

It was a fun movie and definitely had some great moments but a lot of it felt super pandering. I didn't mind the pacing so much but this is coming from someone who sat through all three LoTR extended additions with rapt attention, so yeah I don't really mind if a movie meanders a bit. Also what was up with that female slaver who always had the mask on? It looked like Laura Cayouette it one close up but it couldn't have been her character obviously. It felt like something was left on the cutting room floor with that one.